Why don't you like SPvP

Why don't you like SPvP

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

toxicity aside, i just don’t see what so fun about it.
you can have a big story in PvE, you can’t in PvP.
i don’t play an RPG so i can kill other players, it’s what CoD games are made for, i play it to immerse my self in a world and to have adventures of my own choosing.

i like to have fun and killing other players isn’t my idea of fun, even if i would have champion-like skills i rather play 3 hours of PvE then even a minute of PvP.

Why don't you like SPvP

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

I simply don’t like it. I know that there are people that get their enjoyment from competition and comparing against other people, but myself i have always preferred cooperative modes (which is likely why i tolerate WvW way better than sPvP), and a good story.

And no, getting immersed more in PvP will not make me like it better – quite the opposite.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

(edited by Astralporing.1957)

Why don't you like SPvP

Posted by: azyume.6321

azyume.6321

I made a rant on this a year ago, which was very lenghty, so I’ll try to keep it short:

- 1 Game mode
- 4 Maps
- Maps are not really different, 3 points, 1 small twist
- It’s not satisfying to win – can’t really explain, whenever I win I feel like “okay, that’s over”, whenever I win in eg.: LoL I feel like “MAN THAT WAS AWESOME!” – even in faceroll matches
- Rewards are pretty bad
- Balance updates are rare
- Lack of customization – meaning gear, runes, sigils, no character/skill swap whithin matches
- No comebacks – 90% of the time if you have 10 – 100 points you’re gonna lose, there’s no coming back (again, in LoL it just takes some better coordination)
- Always the same goal – reach 500 points
- No real seasons, divisions, prizes, progression tracking – expect leaderboard which is… bad
- Few builds dominating
- No real skill – no matter how skillful you are, you are never gonna win 1v2 (given your enemy is decent) – dodge all you like, interrupt what you want, you are not gonna get the satisfaction of killing 2 Soldiers and the Medic with a Scout (TF2)
- Combat boils down to dodging and interrupting

This!

The whole sPvP about conquest rather than fights makes it really boring for me. They should reward the fights and secondly the conquest. The whole idea to be a bunker and stay within a circle is appalling to me.

However, I still play sPvP from time to time, needing constant breaks from the game mode.

About the toxicity, yes, it is really bad. I don’t bad mouth anyone in my team or the other and would like to be treated the same way. If the player can’t control their temper and need to unleash a series of profanities to stroke his own ego, gets reported but that’s only a palliative workaround. For sure would be better if didn’t had to deal with such bad behaviors.

Guardian Commander
Thief / Mesmer / Elementalist / Warrior / Necromancer / Ranger / Engineer / Revenant
Crystal Desert – Eredon Terrace – Fort Aspenwood – Stormbluff Isle

Why don't you like SPvP

Posted by: SpyderBite.6274

SpyderBite.6274

I have never played an MMORPG that didn’t offer some kind of PvP. I always preferred non-consensual overland PvP. But that type of fighting seems to have gone the way of the Carebear.

Anyways. I enjoy the sPvP in GW2. Of course, I ignore the map chat so that makes it more enjoyable. Getting profanities screamed at me by adolescents (or adults acting like adolescents) is hardly my idea of a good time.

The rewards are great and the action is non-stop. Haven’t had this much fun since camping Bells in EQ2.

Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock.

Why don't you like SPvP

Posted by: The Tee Why.4807

The Tee Why.4807

I just haven’t sunk time into it, I’ve never been overly competitive in any game really.

Leader of [iLL] iLLuminatriots. | Gate of Madness

Why don't you like SPvP

Posted by: NinjaEd.3946

NinjaEd.3946

To OP

“The game of balance, is like a sword fight. sword swooshing You must think first “HIY”, before you move".
“Settler’s style is immensely strong, and immune to nearly any build. When it’s properly used, it’s almost invincible”

“I’m waiting for the staff to get off their lunch
break. I feel like they should be back by now..”

Why don't you like SPvP

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

I just don’t like the capture the point theme. I’m not fond of it even in FPS games.

I’d prefer a more moba approach like Fort Aspenwood in GW1 where you try to break enemy defenses or defend. TERA has something similar. I also like Deathmatch style battles or Capture the Flag. It’s just unfortunate that GW2 chose the least interesting competitive style to me for SPVP with no other options.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Why don't you like SPvP

Posted by: Sariel V.7024

Sariel V.7024

Im trying to understand why people don’t like it or are attracted to SPvP, If you ask the PvP forums they all respond with things like “tank meta” or “MMR / leaderboard structure”.

Why dont PvE’ers and WvW’ers like SPvP??
What could be done to fix* it?

I am not talking about custom or unranked PvP

Impossible to compete. There is no such thing as learning when you are being steamrolled by the competition.

Why don't you like SPvP

Posted by: Jahroots.6791

Jahroots.6791

To OP

“The game of balance, is like a sword fight. sword swooshing You must think first “HIY”, before you move".
“Settler’s style is immensely strong, and immune to nearly any build. When it’s properly used, it’s almost invincible”

“I have given it much thought. It seems disaster must come. At best, only postponed. sPvP, to survive, must now be taught to more young men. We must expand. Get more players, so that the meta will spread.”

Why don't you like SPvP

Posted by: Brahmincorle.1264

Brahmincorle.1264

Im trying to understand why people don’t like it or are attracted to SPvP, If you ask the PvP forums they all respond with things like “tank meta” or “MMR / leaderboard structure”.

Impossible to compete. There is no such thing as learning when you are being steamrolled by the competition.

This is only because the pool of players in sPvP si so small. More ppl = more skill levels. This problem will fix itself if they fix many other problems with PvP in general and sPvP which will bring more players to it.

Why don't you like SPvP

Posted by: Crovax.7854

Crovax.7854

To expand on my first post: The team size is on both ends of the spectrum i.e. 5 man to 300(?) in wvw but nothing in between. There is a reason why 5man arena was always by far the least played format in WoW and the map in WvW is far to open so the big zerg v zerg clashes are few and far between, essentially making it a borefest for 55 out of 60 minutes.

Now if they had 15v15 game modes with 2-3 maps, that would make my probably play all day long for the next couple of months! So basically: spvp too competitive, wvw too boring.

Why don't you like SPvP

Posted by: ainekitten.9517

ainekitten.9517

I’m a PvE’r but was interested in doing some reward tracks so I started attempting to PvP and I cannot begin to explain how horrible and toxic the PvP community is. I make sure people in my groups know I’m rather new at it and apologize in advance for any stupid things I might do by accident, and yet still nobody can behave or be civil. I mean, honestly, it’s unranked and it’s just a game. I don’t appreciate being called autistic or kittened (or any other form of inappropriate slur) or being told to kill myself irl. It’s just not necessary. And I think PvP players need to learn to curb their language rather than blaming the victim and telling them to just ignore it and move on like it’s no big deal. Because honestly, you don’t know who you’re talking to or what sorts of things they might have to deal with irl.

Rata Sum = Mursaat
Wake up, Tyria!

Why don't you like SPvP

Posted by: Xytl.8659

Xytl.8659

I have 3 reasons for not liking sPvP.

1. The ladder system is broken for experienced players. I play a lot of WvW, I am pretty good at killing people, but i’m only level 12 in sPvP. Because of this, I get into ranked matches with people who are a lot worse than me. I end up carrying the losing team, I lose, I stay where I am in matchmaking for the most part. Because of this, I hate doing anything other than hotjoin because i’ll end up on a team of scrubs.

2. From an outsider standpoint, both the subreddit and gw2 forums are pretty toxic when it comes to sPvP, and this is the only corner of the game where I notice it being bad enough that I don’t wish to associate with the players.

3. Skyhammer.

Aratyl ~Gate of Madness
Co-Leader of the Get Fresh Crew

Why don't you like SPvP

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

I have several reasons why I don’t prefer sPvP, though I might try unranked at some point.

1. I have arthritis in my hands/fingers and they don’t work as well as they might otherwise. I tend to fatfinger a bit as a result.
  2. At my age, my reactions are not what they once were, also. In WvW, when I fight 1v1, I miss many opportunities to win because I just don’t react quickly any more.
  3. Both PvP and WvW are more challenging than PvE (in this game, at least). When video game combat is more challenging, I find that adrenaline enters my system. This causes my blood pressure to elevate and is not good for my health. I can take it in small doses, but this limits my practice, which means more days before I improve.
  4. I dislike the downed state (for PvP) and I especially dislike finishers.
  5. GW2 has way more CC than I appreciate in a game. I understand and accept why it’s there, but it’s not my preference.

As you can see, #‘s 1-3 are not something that the game is going to able to do anything about. While 4 and 5 could be changed, I’m not sure either change would be good for the wider game and I doubt either change would be made, anyway.

Why don't you like SPvP

Posted by: Schwarzseher.9873

Schwarzseher.9873

The sPVP community is more toxic than in CoD or LoL. Literally everytime when you miss 1 of your skills there are at least 2 teammates yelling and flaming you how “noob” (I will not quote what they really said) you are. And itshard to win any game if 90% of your team are killkitten thiefs who wont capture a single objective.

Another big problem is that its extremly hard for many players to get into sPVP because they are getting steamrolled by the Pros. You have to run a specific build on your character to even have a chance to win a 1 vs 1. Also there are autobalance issues. Im experiencing it almost every game that ,if your are behind the enemy team, your teammates will either start afk or leaving the game which leaves you with 3 or more people lacking on your team.

sPVP also have barely improved since the release of GW2. It even got worse with those laggs in sPVP and the following command delays. Its not fun when your skill activates 1 second after you pushed the button.

And since release there havent been any new gamemodes in sPVP. After more than 2 years (!) we are still having the same 3 (rather 2) gamemodes: TDM, Conquest and a modification of Conquest with some capture the flag elements.
In GW1 we had much more gamemodes, TDM, Conquest (Alliance Battles), Some kind of Capture the Flag (Jadequarry), Elimination and Rush (Forrest Fort), Heroes Ascend and Guild vs Guild(we dont have such a thing in a game called Guild Wars 2).
With those limited choices in GW2 its even more monotone than the MP of CoD. In CoD you are also running in a circle trying to kill everything in front of you but at least you have some fancy guns.

Why don't you like SPvP

Posted by: Lifestealer.4910

Lifestealer.4910

As a person whose done pvp for quite a bit in this game, i have never been happier to turn away from it. This is coming from mainly a pvper who likes to pvp in all sorts of games, whether fps, moba or rpgs.

There are quite a few reasons as to why i think this games pvp will never be popular. The main scope or “draw” of the spvp in this game is suppose to be its fast paced combat system, which it delivers in that sense. But what i found out is that setting up a system like this in an mmo ends up alienating anyone who doesn’t live next to the 3rd world buggy kitten servers. when your game favors reflexes, reaction time more than anything and then have me suffer latency issues is just infuriating.

Another thing is that it lacks depth, it reminds me that this game is like a call of duty version of mmos, fast paced heart pounding action but no substance to it whatsoever. The “strategies” in this game are so simplistic, just looking at the so called high level plays and most of the time its just rotate here and +1 the opponent and run bunker comp with 1-2 dps. Reflex being the only “skillful” thing to have as a player is quite shallow and its not even much of a skill to begin with.

It also doesn’t help that the classes in this game weren’t designed to feel epic at all, most of the skills feel dull and there are too many of these, there aren’t any “big plays” to be had with such a shallow skill system. Fights basically degenerates into who spams little spells as fast as possible and who gets lucky with the dodge spam. This also ties into the latency issue with players being completely outpaced by others simply because no matter how awesome or how fast you spam, you cannot outspam the next guy who has single digit ping. In order to compensate for this, anet made bunker builds that allowed people with poor reaction time and/or kittenty as latency to play, but then these builds by itself really don’t offer anything gameplay wise, in fact it degenerates it even more because fights drag out into pointlessness, sometimes never ending. Passives plays a huge role in this game which is also mind boggling when you have passives that are stronger than most actives in this game, its like watching a show of computer playing itself.

The biggest gripe i have though is how the devs have handled the pvp in this game thus far. The updates are not only lackluster, but sometimes ends up doing worse than good. Class balances are awful as always, in the name of “MOAR VIABLE BUILDS” they buff builds that offer nothing in terms of gameplay and should never exist in a competitive pvp environment like turret engineer, d/d ele or rangers in general (ok maybe except lb ranger bcuz that needed a buff), classes or builds that are auto pilot should never be buffed, i know somebody is going to come here and go "HUR DUR rangers aren’t even top level material) its still doesn’t change the fact that anet continues to try to buff passive builds and passive plays all for the sake of DIVERSITYYYY.

Now maybe i am spoiled from moba games and expect a well developed and in depth pvp system that gives insane amount of strategies and crazy plays but in the end, i found gw2 pvp underwhelming to say the least. The only reason i even managed to pump out months of pvp time in this game is because i am a masochist and would do things even if i dislike the game just because i get vs other players. When i look back at my time, i don’t see anything memorable about the time i spent in this game compared to all others like example, league which i played for 3 years and never regret that one bit.

another thing i forgot to mention is that the pvp community in this game is laughable, i wouldn’t even say toxic because toxic community doesn’t bother me as much as i have grown a thick skin from playing mobas. Its just laughable because alot of the players who pvp in this game think they are hot stuff or hipster like playing such dull pvp game and then talking down on anyone who plays the other game modes. Also the people who plays auto pilot build and think they are mlg pros. Its so laughable that i feel pity for those type of people.

(edited by Lifestealer.4910)

Why don't you like SPvP

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

Interesting post by OP: Source

I made this Thread on the General discussion forum about why people dont like SPvP, Most the people in there are PvE’ers or WvW’ers… anyways what im trying to get at is that it looks like Guildwars2’s player base consist of a whole bunch of “kitten”… so to say.

(Snip)

Interesting to learn that he thinks the Guild Wars 2’s player base consists of a whole bunch of “kitten” (no telling what that was a euphemism for).

He asks people who don’t like PvP why they don’t, then in another thread characterizes the people who answer as a bunch of “kittens”.

Imo, OP is typical of many PvP players.

(edited by Astral Projections.7320)

Why don't you like SPvP

Posted by: Brahmincorle.1264

Brahmincorle.1264

Also lag issues on the EU are a big dealbraker for many including me. When I use earthshaker skill on my warrior I expect it to execute immediately, not 1 second later when my enemy is no longer in the area of impact. GW2 is the only game in which I have this issue (I play without lag BF3 and4, SWTOR, LoL and SC2 even on KR server ffs).

Why don't you like SPvP

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

This thread, specifically some of the responses, also gives pretty good examples of why I don’t PvP.

Gone to Reddit.

Why don't you like SPvP

Posted by: vian.3945

vian.3945

Because of the elitist nature of oh soooo many players. I can’t be bothered to be verbaly abused on and on because of my current build etc. Just for a few moments of fun.

Why don't you like SPvP

Posted by: papryk.6273

papryk.6273

after playing GW1 PvP well…there is nothing to like about pvp in GW2

Why don't you like SPvP

Posted by: chrisnx.1674

chrisnx.1674

First, I don’t Play PVP that often, that I am able to have a bigger view.

But:
so far i don’t like PVP because of missing mechanics and missing maps. I played some times ago WOW and had there capture the flag with 10 vs 10, and that was no ‘hot join’ that was freaking awesome when 20 People try to get a flag and kill each other.

What i really miss:

• Duell, i can’t just right click on someone and select “Duell” in the heart of mist (i’m not english native, hope you know what i mean, pvp Lobby)
  • more maps some with and some without mechanics because now we just have maps with a mechanic but besides one map it’s all capture the Point, really annoying.
  • much more variations with game modes as capture the flag, kill the king (one has to get the buff and just he gets Points for killing, when he gets killed this Person gets the buff…)
    ——

what i don’t like eigher is that my gear in pvp don’t stay fix:
for example, in pve i have GS and sword-focus, but in pvp GS and cepter-focus.
and when i entry the Lobby i don’t look at my weapons but then i see “oh kitten it wrong weapon” that bugs me.

Besides that i really like the PVP System, the dodge ability, it’s not easy for me.

Why don't you like SPvP

Posted by: naiasonod.9265

naiasonod.9265

PvP in MMOs like this triggers too many anxieties for me. Just rubs the wrong way against too many particular somethings for me to be able to enjoy it.

But then, throw me in an FPS an I turn into Trollpocalypse 2: Electric Boogaloo. Dunno why. There’s nothing Anet could really do to fix that. It isn’t a system error – its a user quirk.

One is only the smartest person in the room if they are alone.

Why don't you like SPvP

Posted by: Valandil Dragonhart.2371

Valandil Dragonhart.2371

I learned early on in the original Guild Wars that if you’re going to succeed in PvP you need to not only have superior co-ordination and knowing who you’re fighting against and what they’re doing, but you also need the proper connection and lag cannot be a factor.

I found this out the hard way while trying to battle ~400ms ping. Subsequently if you’re not from the US (or Europe near a Euro server) then if you’re trying to succeed in PvP it’s more luck than skill if the lag doesn’t get you. Even switching weapon sets took way longer than I’d imagined it would, and people with better pings would get the better of you before you knew it.

What was worse was the constant elitism and toxicity within the PvP, and how self-destructive and discouraging the game mode was to anyone who was new at it and wanted to learn. Sure there were guilds out there who would teach, but even if you somehow get good, you can’t overcome the lag if you’re living in an area prone to it.

Now come GW2 and it’s sPvP – I’ve played this game since launch and this is one mode I flatly refuse to enter. Once bitten, twice shy. I find it would be counter-productive to even entertain the idea of playing in a mode that I had no hope of winning in. Not only do I not know the mechanics of the game mode, but I’m still battling the lag. In a game where reflexes and knowing who you’re up against are just as important, it’s a no-win situation for someone like me to even begin.

I occasionally play WvW, and even outside of the blobs I still get horrendous amounts of lag. I have to consider, that if I get such lag in one mode (as I do in PvE, but other players aren’t trying to kill me), another PvP mode will be just as bad. Best not to swim against the tide.

The old-school Arrow-Key warrior.
“Obtaining a legendary should be done through legendary feats…
Not luck and credit cards.”

Why don't you like SPvP

Posted by: thehipone.6812

thehipone.6812

I dislike it because I just want to go in and play and have at least a reasonably fair match.

Hotjoin satisfies the go in and play criterion, but almost every match seems to be 4v3 or 5v4 for a long enough time to allow the 5-man team to pile up a huge lead and just gank everyone in 2v1s or 3v1s. Then the teamswappers and leavers start and the match is ruined. 500 to 50 is no fun for either side.

Queue pvp would be fine, except I seem to waste 25% of my playing time just standing around waiting. For, say a 10 minute match, you sit in the queue for 2 minutes and then another minute+ in the “waiting for players to be ready”. Can’t even do anything else really, because you’re pinned in the waiting area. That said, I do play and enjoy the actual game part of unranked a fair bit, but hate the wait. I do try to improve and learn the different classes and builds, but I really don’t care about leaderboards, MMR, having the perfect profession balance, or even winning that much (seems to work out to 50% wins/50%losses mostly). Just a 5v5 fight that I can join in at the start with the score 0 to 0. Also: waiting in the queue and ending up in Courtyard = annoyed

My proposed solution would be 5v5 random arena. Push the button and random teams (read: no GW1-style sync possible) are made and go in No waiting for the computer to run the magic algorithm to calculate all the different combinations and odds of winning, search for opponents, wait for someone who “fits”. 10 names in a hat, pick 5 to be on blue and go. As soon as everyone is loaded in, the 10 second countdown starts and go. Use hotjoin rules where skill swaps are allowed. Being random, you will dominate sometimes and be dominated other times, but it should balance out over all.

Why don't you like SPvP

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

I generally like sPvP, but the one thing that really keeps me from playing it more and often makes me consider quitting is this:

The PvP Community.

There are some good people in that community, sure, but there are waaaaay too many bad apples/4chan kids to really enjoy it.

Why don't you like SPvP

Posted by: Lazuli.2098

Lazuli.2098

Interesting post by OP: Source

I made this Thread on the General discussion forum about why people dont like SPvP, Most the people in there are PvE’ers or WvW’ers… anyways what im trying to get at is that it looks like Guildwars2’s player base consist of a whole bunch of “kitten”… so to say.

(Snip)

Interesting to learn that he thinks the Guild Wars 2’s player base consists of a whole bunch of “kitten” (no telling what that was a euphemism for).

He asks people who don’t like PvP why they don’t, then in another thread characterizes the people who answer as a bunch of “kittens”.

Imo, OP is typical of many PvP players.

Exactly.

I don’t enjoy playing with others who need to beat down and criticize others in order to feel good about themselves. So I’m glad that PvP exists so that those types of players can flock together there and can be avoided.

Why don't you like SPvP

Posted by: Krynos.1293

Krynos.1293

The short version is that GW2 PvP is just too Carebear for me.

Longer explanation…

The WvW concept video, pre-release, was what attracted me most to GW2, but ANet would have to make rework too much for me to enjoy PvP in GW2.

Regarding MMOs in general, I’ve always believed that a MMO should be designed with PvP in mind. This way you get character classes/professions/builds (whatever the particular MMO calls it) balanced with PvP in mind. Then design the rest of the game, PvE and everything else, with the resulting classes and abilities in mind. And PvP should be meaningful in some way, having goals that affect the overall game. I’ve always believed that PvP was essential to have any real endgame. Because there comes a point in any MMO, or expansion for that MMO, when you’ve “been there and done that”. You might roll alts and experience all the content again with the new character, but I feel that PvP is where the real endgame is. When playing against other players, you have to constantly adapt and evolve. Without it, I get bored and play something else.

I’ve played PvP servers on every MMO I’ve played since Everquest. The best PvP experience and the most fun I’ve every had playing an MMO was with Dark Age of Camelot. Warhammer: Age of Reckoning and Age of Conan were really fun too. I do like the GW2 concept of WvW, as it reminded me of the RvR in DAoC and WAR, which is why I originally bought GW2. As for SPvP, it’s ok for what it is, if you want to get together in teams with friends and guildmates and go up against other teams, but I favor open world PvP. I like the chaos of open world. Sure, you fall prey to zergs, but it’s worth it to me for those times when you find those good battles and sieges, and especially for those random 1v1s.

But when it comes down to it, I like my PvP gritty, quick, and violent. Unfortunately, GW2 is another in a long list of games since WoW where a fight between two players of roughly equal skill can drag out for several minutes and, often enough, without conclusion. So GW2 just doesn’t provide that fast and furious PvP I’m after. The whole “downed” and “finish” concepts just don’t belong in PvP in my opinion. GW2, like WoW and many other MMOs since, just feels dumbed down and lazy. DAoC used to actually use line of sight. No arrows or bullets flying through terrain. Monsters like fire elementals were generally immune to fire. That sort of thing.

So I play PvE in GW2 when I get bored or just feel like it. My friends and I generally play for 2 or 3 months at a time with roughly a 6 month break in between. I don’t care for the anime influences in the game. Such as some of the over-sized, disproportionate, impractical gear; the majority of face and hair choices for male human and norn characters make them look like Bieber wanna-bes fresh from the salon; etc. But I love the artistic terrain and pve concepts. So I play to explore and enjoy that.

I’ve pretty much given up hope for a good PvP MMO. Since gaming became such a big business where Corp management, rather than the game developers, make all the real decisions, I just don’t feel there will ever be another hardcore and gritty PvP MMO of AAA quality. Too much pandering to the masses, which are made up of the easy-mode loving, walkthrough dependent, and/or cheat subscribing players we have today. So I pretty much stick to shooters, and games like Mount and Blade or Chivalry for PvP action these days, and get my exploration/PvE fix with GW2 currently.

Why don't you like SPvP

Posted by: roguenub.1409

roguenub.1409

Engineers

-_-

Why don't you like SPvP

Posted by: Atlas.9704

Atlas.9704

Hopefully the forum won’t eat up my post like the last time.

Disclaimer: I’m a filthy casual, PvE fan, carebear, scrub, whatever else makes you feel better to call me. I don’t care because I know where I can get my fun.

With PvE and the Living world, it is akin to a nursery filled with all sorts of fun stuff.
We are all wide eyed younglings who are exploring this Romper Room.
Every now and then the Nanny pops in to read us a story just for entertainment.
It might suck, it might be great, it could be as horrible as a coked-out rant from a senator, but it is there for us to consume.

In sPvP, same nursery, but in this room we’re dropped into a section with only a few play mats, and we can only play one game. The more we cry, the more the Nanny drops in a few finishers to see if that will shut the little ones.

In WvWvW it is a bit more worse. You’re thrown outside, oh you want some attention too? Here’s some finishers and a Dolyak statue, how is that? Also instead of Red, now you are (random color) and it doesn’t matter.

Forgive the Muppet Babies analogy, but that’s how it feels to play those other two game modes.
They don’t have much impact. The website only cares about the big tournaments, which I sort of understand, but even the Leaderboard could show what profession is used most by a certain player.

Yes, if you go to youtube or twitch videos are there.
Problem is for the average “filthy casual, PvE fan, carebear, scrub, whatever else…” the site could provide them a jumping off point.

“Here’s the Winners of our Winter PvP Ladder Test Season. Oh also here’s some videos we found of them. Go on, look, be inspired, and then have your heart crushed because you aren’t that good. You tried though skipper.”

In WvWvW it is even worse. Megaserver absolutely killed any interest I have in how my server is doing. There’s no sense of pleading to the masses for heroes and they show up.
Ultimately it is like they are two Activities that got promoted over Keg Brawl or Sanctum Sprint. At least that’s my general impression of it.

Yes the community is toxic, yes we’re supposed to toughen up “princess”, and yes joining a group will always make things better forever.
Though from the eyes of a casual, one who plays off and on due to real life, the costs aren’t worth it.

Because I know when I leave PvP land and come back 3 months later, I won’t miss a darn thing.

Elona, Land of the Golden Sun….and undead…and poison. The travel brochure lied okay?!

(edited by Atlas.9704)

Why don't you like SPvP

Posted by: zombyturtle.5980

zombyturtle.5980

I dislike pvp because of the limited game mode. I really just prefer a free for all map where my failure or success doesn’t depend upon, or affect anyone apart from me.
Team play is fine but when its the only option it bores me.

Why don't you like SPvP

Posted by: Lheimroo.2947

Lheimroo.2947

Pvp is both boring and stressful to me.

Boring in the sense that it’s utterly predictable – small maps, endlessly repetitive runs back down the same memorized paths to get back into the action, and then.. big whoop, you win or you die.

Stressful in the sense that I don’t get much intrinsic reward from competing with other players. I don’t feel a thrill; I just feel stress. I get enormously more joy from completing some difficult fight in multiplayer coop – say, Borderlands 2? I’m all over that. It’s awesome.

I mean, I genuinely resent Anet’s attempts to snag people into playing other game modes; I know I don’t enjoy pvp. The world explorer achievement was pleasant for me – up until the point where I realized I had to spend weeks waiting for the wvw maps to change to the right colors so I could get my map markers with minimum stress, and it was punctuated by snarled swears whenever actual pvpers wouldn’t just leave me the heck alone.

And spvp? Meh. I also resent the new dailies, which actually needlessly trimmed options from a spread of pve achievements in some mis-guided attempt to force me, through sheer lack of viable alternative, into some pvp mode. You pvpers, you can have yer dang options, that’s FINE. I don’t mind. But trim mine in the process? Utterly utterly pointless.. in fact, insulting on Anet’s part.

(edited by Lheimroo.2947)

Why don't you like SPvP

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

The win condition is game-breakingly awful, it will always enforce a passive, horribly boring, nonstrategic bunker heavy meta. It needs to change if PvP is ever to interest a sizable amount of GW2’s current players, let alone attract more players, or be anything more than laughable as an esport.

I still play, some, but not as much as I would like to, not as much as I would if the game mode would actually allow for any amount of strategy or build diversity.

(edited by Conncept.7638)

Why don't you like SPvP

Posted by: Shpongle.6025

Shpongle.6025

Not enough maps.

Are you Shpongled?

Why don't you like SPvP

Posted by: Dedlaw.9130

Dedlaw.9130

Because I’m gawdawful in PvP and can’t kill anyone unless they are gawdawfuler.

Pretty much this.

And also, I have an aversion for the gamemode based on previous games where if a miracle happens and I actualy manage to win, some little brat will then proceed to tell me of the long and eventful sexual history between himself and my mother. All 10 seconds of it.

Dedlaw – Fresh 80 Zerker Warrior
DODGE!!! – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvS6zMThiZU

Why don't you like SPvP

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

I don’t like it because I don’t enjoy having other players on the opposing side. They could fix sPvP by putting all the players on one team and replacing the opposing team with AI.

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”

Why don't you like SPvP

Posted by: Dedlaw.9130

Dedlaw.9130

I don’t like it because I don’t enjoy having other players on the opposing side. They could fix sPvP by putting all the players on one team and replacing the opposing team with AI.

Soooo…PvE?

Dedlaw – Fresh 80 Zerker Warrior
DODGE!!! – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvS6zMThiZU

Why don't you like SPvP

Posted by: Olvendred.3027

Olvendred.3027

Why are you not asking about custom or unranked? Only a small portion of the people who do like PvP actually do ranked. For those who don’t like PvP at all, chances are their only experiences are in “Practice” or unranked.

Why don't you like SPvP

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

I dont like the mode, I dont like the maps. That being said I never was much of a pvp player unless it’s shooters. Almost never did pvp in gw1.

Why don't you like SPvP

Posted by: Silmar Alech.4305

Silmar Alech.4305

I don’t play sPvP, because the core concept of player versus player combat isn’t appealing to me. I got asked by one friend in my guild over and over again over the last years why I will not join him in PvP, and I always have the same answer for him: it is not fun for me. I don’t want to do something competitive in a game. I don’t need a highscore, I don’t want to compare my capabilities with the capabilities of another person.

I don’t like being stomped on by other players who dance on my body. I don’t like the sometimes rough and unfriendly chat atmosphere. I don’t like losing fights 50% of the time (which will occur in a well balanced game) – in a game, I expect to win 100% of the time, which is possible only in PvE (almost). KI-Monsters will also never triumph after they defeated you, because they have no soul. It is stressing and not refreshing after a hard day at work. PvP is always on the same few maps, which gets boring after a while – feels uninteresting and like grind.

We tried GvG in GW1 with our guild, and after that I decided that I will never engage in any PvP action any more. Any time, any game. It’s simply not a game mode suited for me.

I do play WvW occasionally, because it is possible to view the enemy players as NPCs. But I don’t play it very much, because it is only 2 different maps (borderlands and eternal battlegrounds) and it gets boring after a short time. It’s always the same: long run from the waypoint to action after a respawn, running around in circles to capture stuff, defend stuff or carry supplies. One evening of 2-3 hours a month is enough. The advanced tactics required to get permanent fun out of this game mode aren’t appealing to me, too. For 5 minutes of combat fun, you are running around for 15 minutes.

One of my memorable moments in GW2 was actually in WvW: I was engaged in a 1v1 fight when I tried to run back to the zerg. I almost won, but an enemy zerg arrived suddenly stomped me into the ground. After the zerg moved on, my opponent stayed and bowed before me – this was a really nice gesture. Being dead, I was unfortunately unable to return the gesture, and due to the anonymity I was also unable to pm him. But such nice memorable moments are much too few in this game mode to play it on a regular basis.

(edited by Silmar Alech.4305)

Why don't you like SPvP

Posted by: Aenesthesia.1697

Aenesthesia.1697

someone mentioned it and he sent me back in time to my dota2 days: there’s no kick in succesfully launching a combo or a skill. I guess it has to do with how inconsequential all skills are (compared to mobas, where the right skill atthe right time can wipe the enemy team), and their low cd which makes missing or hitting just an incident.

It’s like GW2 would be basketball while Dota2 or LOL would be Footbal. Sure, basketball can be fun, but it’s just a long attrition game and the team that fails more attack opportunities looses. The real joy comes when the match is decidedin the last seconds (that also happens in GW2).

Footbal, on the other hand, is slower, even boring at times, but then you score and it’s like WOAAAAHHHHH OMG EAT THAT MOTHERKITTENERS!

If you know what i mean.

Why don't you like SPvP

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

Soooo…PvE?

PvE. . . that sounds good, they should have a mode like that in the game.

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”

Why don't you like SPvP

Posted by: misterman.1530

misterman.1530

This. This right here is why I don’t PvP.

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/online_gaming

Why don't you like SPvP

Posted by: naiasonod.9265

naiasonod.9265

My god, my wife says almost those exact things. That comic is pure fact on all counts.

One is only the smartest person in the room if they are alone.

Why don't you like SPvP

Posted by: Sagat.3285

Sagat.3285

+1 Too good man too good however not 100% accurate.

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140
The Dhuumfire thread

Why don't you like SPvP

Posted by: funkylovemonkey.3097

funkylovemonkey.3097

I love PvP.

It concentrates the immature, hyper-competitive, generally unpleasant gamers in one handy section cordoned off from the rest of the game where they can spew slurs at each other while freeing up PvE and WvW from their toxicity and making a majority of the game much more enjoyable.

Why don't you like SPvP

Posted by: Chrury.4627

Chrury.4627

I have a few issues with sPvP/PvP in general. I understand that some of this are l2p issues but if it’s not easy to get into, it’s not easy to get into ya know?

1) The big one is the control setup doesn’t feel conducive to the speed at which the game is played. You have movement + 10-14 skills + jump + dodge + move the mouse to aim and select target AND turn your camera. That’s a lot to juggle at once when you’re trying to stay in motion (as staying still = death) and thinking about the objective(s).
Besides this, the default control keybinds are completely out of reach and there’s not even a suggestion on a better layout. I have swapped use to “E” and set “F” to holster weap as well as put my heal and elite on mouse buttons but that still leaves my utilities out of reach on 7,8,9. This is not a problem in PvE as you generally have enough time to adjust your bearings or swipe down with your mouse before something kills you.
It also doesn’t help that the switch target keybinds seem to rotate arbitrarily. This leads to trying to mouse target while rotating the camera, while moving, while THEY’RE moving/dodging. Maybe AoE spam is easier; I wouldn’t know.

2) Because of the above, 2 on 1s are by design unbalanced. It’s the rare time when I could successfully survive or even run if a 1 on 1 becomes a 2 on 1. I don’t whine about it but it certainly isn’t fun.

3) They removed Raid on the Capricorn. Only half joking on this one. As a Ranger main, this was one of the only places where I felt powerful bordering on OP. Holding the underwater point for the duration of a match was possibly the most fun I’d had in GW2.

Those three (well, 2 and a half) are why I, personally, don’t PvP. I honestly couldn’t care less about MMR, rankings, leaderboards, and the like. Especially if playing feels clunky.

Why don't you like SPvP

Posted by: Zoltreez.6435

Zoltreez.6435

dat comic loooooool but there is a 3rd way no life realy good player and friendly. yep its reeeeeeealy rare.

-Stellaris
-Total War: Warhammer
-Guild Wars 2

Why don't you like SPvP

Posted by: Devata.6589

Devata.6589

It’s more about the build then about skills. That is btw in almost every MMO the case and is why I do not like PvP (not talking about open world PvP) in general in mmo’s. For PvP I will then be more interested in FPS’s as there skill is more important then the build and I even prefer FPS’s where the build really isn’t a thing at all while you see it becoming a little more of a thing in modern FPS’s because you can unlock a lot of stuff. Still it’s not really comparable with an MMO where the builds is really like the most important element.

In addition, the way of fighting (sing spells from a hotbar) is also not as interesting as for example the shooting you do in a FPS.