Why dont i want to play this game?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Im Too Godlike.5629

Im Too Godlike.5629

I was so hyped about this game. A year ago i was checking guildwars2.com every day, waiting for more info. But now that its here… I dont want to play it. Maybe its because i already knew about everything in it before i even played it, or whatever, but i havent even logged 200 hours on this game.

Pve got too tedious and i stopped at level 30 because it wasnt fun for me, at all. PvP is better but not by much… I can only play 2 or 3 games before i have to stop playing and play other game.

So why dont i like this game? Is it just not for me or what?

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

Only you can answer that question. And you already know the answer.

But, based on observations of other highly anticipated games like SWTOR, it’s likely you expected much more than any company can deliver with the available technology. It’s actually pretty common.

Posted by: CMF.5461

CMF.5461

Goals are the reason to keep doing something. You have no goal or reason and no one can give that to you. All I can do is state some of mine:

-See the whole world
-Master/understand the game and profession mechanics and builds to enhance my gameplay better than average player (spvp oriented)
-Compete in wvw and spvp/tpvp
-Explore and learn lore

In the end I play because it is new and fresh still so I continue to feel that forward momentum. This feeling can wear off and if it does then I will stop. But for now, I am hooked.

(edited by CMF.5461)

Posted by: Kasama.8941

Kasama.8941

It’s funny that you sound so surprised at the fact that you’ve changed as an individual. We all grow up, change interests and hobbies, lose friends that we use to love spending time with, and gain new friends instead. That’s life =)

80 Ranger | 80 Mesmer | 80 Thief | 80 Guardian | 40 Engineer
“The learned is happy, nature to explore. The fool is happy, that he knows no more.”
-Alexander Pope

Posted by: Mexxer.5096

Mexxer.5096

I topped playing primarily because this game has become a tedious grind-fest

back when the game released and prior to that..yes, back in those Beta weekend Events, this game looked so ever promising and to be honest, it was perfect and hands down the best game on the market. …. However, upon release, it seems like Anet have made it their dedicated job to make this game harder, more grind-fest oriented and only bearable for bots…all of which obviously came as a surprise but I guess I should have seen this coming, the game was too good to be true anyways

atm there’s not much to do anymore…..I cant even play because if i wanted to “explore” or even go to a nearby city or hell…even go to the next zone i’ll have to pay a kitten-load of money just because I’m level 80

sad to say…this game will be getting uninstalled in the nearby future :/

Posted by: Rise.9702

Rise.9702

The hype died I’m guessing.

You sir are a Scholar and Gentlekitten.

CMF.5461

Well the way point travel is there to be a economy drain so that depleting resources (your gold) stay important. Beyond that you don’t have to use them and there are asuran portals that take you to each of the racial cities that can be used to travel large distances at no cost.

Maybe this is overly cheap of me but I also use the pvp zone to get back to lions arch for free instead of using the fast travel way points =p

As far as the grindy portions of the game. Yes it is there. I feel the difference between these grinds and other games that grind is that you do not “have” to do them to play the game.

spvp gives you the gear for free and upgrades are just cosmetic, so that is instant plug and play.

wvw auto balances your level to 80 (your gear and skills are still limitations). The large scale of the battles makes individual inefficiencies less important and you can wvw as soon as you get out of the intro if you really wanted to. Less effective than a geared 80, sure but you can still move with the crowd and get credit of taking objectives.

As far as the pve aspects. Replayability can be limited as far as story. Dynamic events continue to trigger and you don’t have to do them, but the only way to get karma is to do dungeons or dynamic events. The question is why are you farming the karma? If there is something you are working towards then of course it will be a “grind” because you are “working” to an objective. If there was no work involved then you would get it instantly.

I know i"m stating what you already know and maybe the problem is the time invested to reach those goals that you disagree with. At that point it is all subjective. What is a long time to you may be shorter to others. The developers determine how long they want to gate those grindy objectives for and we are at the mercy of those decisions

Posted by: dillius.2531

dillius.2531

I log in only to spend around an hour in queue to get to play WvW only to end up in the middle of a fight so overwhelmingly one sided as to instantly kill any interest I had prior.

Reyanna Archania – Mesmer – Tarnished Coast

Posted by: BigMoser.8790

BigMoser.8790

As Calvin (Calvin and Hobbes comic strip) once quoted his dad saying:

“Dad says the anticipation of having something is often more fun than actually having it. I think he’s crazy. I hate waiting for things. I like to have everything immediately. I can’t think of anything I’d rather anticipate than have right away. Can you?”

Did the anticipation consume you too much? It does that to me alot lol. But GW2 is still alot of fun to me, personally.

CMF.5461

If you can have everything without a wait then there is nothing to want. Having a lack of want leads to lack of incentive or goals. So in someways, a wait is good. Just as long as it isn’t so long you lose interest and don’t want it anymore.

Posted by: Curuniel.4830

Curuniel.4830

Not everyone enjoys the same things so my answers won’t necessarily work for you, but if you got bored of PvE around level 30 I would say go somewhere else. Find an area you know nothing about, and explore – that reinvigorated me, after running around the same areas all the time. Or take a couple of weeks’ break and come back for the Mad King, which should give you some new stuff and a goal, as CMF said.

Right now my goal is my obsessive search for new cooking combinations. It’s not what I expected to drive me forward in this game, but it works! Good luck finding your own motivation – or not. You don’t have to like it!

Posted by: Teloeka.7641

Teloeka.7641

All that annoys me is the lack of information we get about things which are obviously bugging the community e.g DR, Legendary Precursors, WvW bugs, Exploiters…

Posted by: Mastermind.3169

Mastermind.3169

It is a an extremely tedious game with lots of annoyances like clipscenes and longwinded talking npc’s. You need to overcome that to enjoy it.

The game starts at lvl 30 for PvE as you get your ace up the sleeve in the form of the elite skill, and traits are starting to form a nice bonus and you are allowed to do your first dungeon.

It’s a looong road to 80 though, so patience is like 90% of this game.

CMF.5461

=( I like the longwinded npcs and the clip scenes. Again to each their own and for the most part you can skip all that talking if you wanted to (skip button or press esc)

Posted by: Essmerelda.2147

Essmerelda.2147

I love so many things about the game, and I’ve played these games for almost 20 years now. However, I am mostly a PVE solo player and I have found that progressing into the higher level areas is tedious in the extreme. I understand that you can level up almost anywhere, if I wanted to I could just hang out in the lower level lands, but this becomes boring and repetitious. I have leveled an elementalist to 80, and several other classes to 30 and above, so I have given the game a fair chance I believe.

I have found that upper level lands are very unfriendly to the solo player. Sometimes it’s great fun to join in with a group doing an event but I don’t like to depend on others to play a game all the time, and I don’t think it should be necessary to have someone with me when I’m exploring the map. I’ve played for many hours in the past month and what I’ve noticed is that the lands for levels 25 and above are nearly deserted, while the 1 – 25 area’s seem to have the bulk of the players. I honestly expected the player base to be better by now, but perhaps I haven’t given the game enough time. I’m not a great player but I’m not bad. However I have found the game to be frustrating past a certain point and am going to take a break from it for a bit in hopes that when I check in again it will be a little more player friendly. I’m not adverse to a challenge but I don’t want to come away from playing a game stressed out and unhappy, my goal in these games is just the opposite. I want to have fun.

Good luck to you all and I hope that your playing experience was better than mine.

Posted by: Saruba.7124

Saruba.7124

Well the way point travel is there to be a economy drain so that depleting resources (your gold) stay important.

This was the viewpoint originally proposed for this mechanism, and at first I wholeheartedly agreed with it. Now all I see it as is a way to chase people away, and do so with extreme efficiency.

How long are we going to continue defending an obviously failed concept? At what point do you step back and say “OK it sounded like a great idea, and I really thought it would work, but it just isn’t.”? Do we wait until no one is left playing except for the most ardent supporters? Are there really enough of them to sustain this game?

I started out completely enthralled with this game. Beta weekends and the first week were days of playing the game I always hoped someone would make. I supported Anet like a zealot on Reddit. The past several weeks, however, have been a nightmare of watching management decision after management decision that seem hell bent on squeezing all of the fun out of what was a wonderfully fun game to play.

It almost feels like the group managing Guild Wars 2 is not the same group that designed Guild Wars 2, and they have a completely different philosophy on what constitutes good game play.

I have a grand total of about 190 hours played since head start and I only just hit 80 recently, so I was not one of the “rushers”. I play for a couple of hours each day and a bit more on weekends. Now with all the issues (including the one we are forbidden to discuss) and the poorly chosen attempts at dealing with those issues, I am finding myself with less and less reasons to want to log in.

If you wish to just dismiss me as a “hater” then go ahead, that’s up to you, but in all honesty I am not. Bitter disappointment at seeing something you truly enjoyed, being systematically dismantled is not the same as hate.

CMF.5461

I’ll be honest, I detach myself my a bulk of the drama and I don’t know what the hot issues are that people are upset about.

Some game balance or nerfs depends on how you view the changes
bots who are never going to go away so long as money is to be made
exploiters who cheat because they want to feel powerful and break things

Those things are going to be in any game such as this. I can’t do anything about the bots but report them and hope anet finds a way to make it less feasible to exploit their economy.

Cheaters are going to exists. Since the advent of rules there have been people trying to bend them. I can’t do much about them, they make me mad, but i can’t let them ruin my fun so I keep moving.

Class/game changes are typically the biggest gripes and heart aches. People get very attached to their characters and how they play them. Developers need to keep people happy while making sure the game works the way they intended. Meaning, compromise and never making everyone happy. Are there things I want to see implemented or taken away? Yes for sure. Do I feel like i’m being ignored, well I see myself as a single voice and all I can do is submit my opinion and hope it doesn’t get lost in the masses. Overall the game works and it is not game breaking when my character can or can not do something.

Expectations are a hard thing to live up to, but should never be ignored. Just be understanding and keep giving feedback where you can. Ultimately if the game goes a direction you don’t like then you are free to go and the good times you did have will be the fun memories you can keep. Be weary of focusing on the bad all the time or that is all you will see.

Posted by: GreenZap.1352

GreenZap.1352

=( I like the longwinded npcs and the clip scenes. Again to each their own and for the most part you can skip all that talking if you wanted to (skip button or press esc)

Personally I find the writing and voice acting terrible but it’s nice that you enjoy them

Zayn Al’Sabaan
Elonian sword-dancer, poet and bard
Greatsword Chronomancer

Posted by: MarzAttakz.9608

MarzAttakz.9608

I feel the same as Saruba, over 300 hours at least with 2 level 80’s and the rest around 20-35. Last week I resigned as guild leader and haven’t logged in again. I’ll let the fanboys and diehards fight over the future of the game since you’re not allowed to have a negative opinion apparently.

YOU KNOW THERE AIN’T NO REST FOR THE WICKED, TILL WE CLOSE OUR EYES FOR GOOD.

Once proud member of Extraordinary Gentlemen [EXG]{DESO4LIFE}

CMF.5461

The order of whispers storyline with the char that has a thing for apples has made me actually lol a few times. It is random, and different without being too cliche and not trying to be trendy and using internet memes.

Voice acting itself? convincing enough, it doesn’t sound like highschool kids reading a script and I hear emotion and good pace of conversation when they talk. Script is mostly good but some corny things for sure but I’m ok with that. This isn’t a movie that is going up for awards or anything.

(edited by CMF.5461)

Posted by: skullcrusher.7849

skullcrusher.7849

I topped playing primarily because this game has become a tedious grind-fest

back when the game released and prior to that..yes, back in those Beta weekend Events, this game looked so ever promising and to be honest, it was perfect and hands down the best game on the market. …. However, upon release, it seems like Anet have made it their dedicated job to make this game harder, more grind-fest oriented and only bearable for bots…all of which obviously came as a surprise but I guess I should have seen this coming, the game was too good to be true anyways

atm there’s not much to do anymore…..I cant even play because if i wanted to “explore” or even go to a nearby city or hell…even go to the next zone i’ll have to pay a kitten-load of money just because I’m level 80

sad to say…this game will be getting uninstalled in the nearby future :/

I dunno about you, but i like a bit of grind in mmo’s, what else is there to do. its all about combat isnt it? duh…

And your complaining about CHALLENGE ( being harder )……You are one of the problems with gaming today..

I got a hint for you….WOW is that way —-—————>
That game seems more your cup of tea. Close your eyes and faceroll…

CMF.5461

negative opinions are fine I’m sure as long as they are constructive and not emotional lashouts. The biggest problem is you could post something negative but constructive but the following posts you don’t have control over.

So moderators have to decide if they want to squash that early or not.

Voice a problem and if you can a solution and try to stay away from seeming like you are angry and fed up with things.

If we were at a store and a customer walks up screaming their head off and waving their arms in the air about how upset they are you try to calm that customer down and get them to talk calmly so that you can resolve the problem.

The tools to do that are to respond to posts and or lock/delete them. Sometimes responding just feeds the fire and sometimes it resolves the issue. Make it apparent that you want to work with the customer service and they wont put your fire out with a locked or deleted post.

CMF.5461

skullcrusher, try to not get too negative and name calling before our post gets locked here. WoW is another game and it doesn’t make it a lesser game for people that are not good enough for your game. So it doesn’t have to be derogatory.

skullcrusher.7849

I feel the same as Saruba, over 300 hours at least with 2 level 80’s and the rest around 20-35. Last week I resigned as guild leader and haven’t logged in again. I’ll let the fanboys and diehards fight over the future of the game since you’re not allowed to have a negative opinion apparently.

This is also everyones problem.
I used to be very hardcore, but about 2 years ago i changed jobs, nowdays i really dont have to much time, but i can put in 2-3 hours nightly and more on weekends to play.
I have 1 80 and a lvl 10.
You lot play 24/7 and expect NOT to burn out…Haha, i just find this funny.

My 80 runs exp mode dungeons, then ill switch and play and alt, theres 3-4 hours already.

Im still enjoying the game, but like i said, im more casual these days.
You guys gotta learn to either go outside more, or play other games alongside mmo’s.

Modern day mmo’s arnt like they used to be ( back in the good days ).
Nowdays they all follow the same casualised, garbage road WOW has taken them down…

skullcrusher.7849

skullcrusher, try to not get too negative and name calling before our post gets locked here. WoW is another game and it doesn’t make it a lesser game for people that are not good enough for your game. So it doesn’t have to be derogatory.

Im sorry mate, i forgot how soft people are getting these days.
Cant even voice my OWN opinions? I didnt call anyone any names….

But please , you can all carry on with hugging each other….

(edited by skullcrusher.7849)

Posted by: Gibbel.5734

Gibbel.5734

All mmo’s are grindfests end game..
Back when i was playing WoW (over 2 years ago) i was grinding my kitten off to get honor for my pvp set AND after that i had to grind my kitten off to get my arena set…
Before you know it season had ended and you could start all over again.

While i was pure PVP my RL friend only focust on raiding/PVE..
Basically he was lurking in towns 24/7 only to get in to action like 4 times a week to farm/Grind gear in raids.

Posted by: oldenglish.8543

oldenglish.8543

I dont recommend gw2 or any MMO for that matter for the pve. Anyone who didnt think gw2 pve was going to be a grind fest like EVERY other mmo is out of their minds.

To sum up gw2. If you like pvp, get it, if you want to pve dont. If you want to pve just go bang your head against a brick wall.

Posted by: Polluxo.4967

Polluxo.4967

I dont recommend gw2 or any MMO for that matter for the pve. Anyone who didnt think gw2 pve was going to be a grind fest like EVERY other mmo is out of their minds.

To sum up gw2. If you like pvp, get it, if you want to pve dont. If you want to pve just go bang your head against a brick wall.

Well, you could say GW1 was a grind fest too, but the PvE was fun and challenging so that largely makes up for it. In GW2 you probably don’t have to use anything other than your auto-attack until you get to level 80.

Posted by: akujahat.9302

akujahat.9302

I think the reason is because you expectation was too high even before the game was out. You learned everything about it, you kept thinking about it, and when its finally here, the ‘awe’ feeling already diminished.

Posted by: wookie slayer.4259

wookie slayer.4259

Goals are the reason to keep doing something. You have no goal or reason and no one can give that to you. All I can do is state some of mine:

-See the whole world
-Master/understand the game and profession mechanics and builds to enhance my gameplay better than average player (spvp oriented)
-Compete in wvw and spvp/tpvp
-Explore and learn lore

In the end I play because it is new and fresh still so I continue to feel that forward momentum. This feeling can wear off and if it does then I will stop. But for now, I am hooked.

I wish the game had better set in goals for people and rewarded them with things for completetion

Posted by: springelf.9236

springelf.9236

GW2 grinding is so boring imo. Skins are cute but what I would want to see is better gear for my time. As is, my 80th has exotic gear and…now nothing to strive for. I dont care that much about legendaries…again because far as I have been told they are the same stats just look cool. IDK…its a little of this and that and it comes up (for me) as boring. I miss going to a dungeon and camping for X gear. Never thought I would say that lol.

Posted by: Ethereas.1085

Ethereas.1085

I’m with you – I’m just not enjoying the game. I’ve always been a PvP-first kinda guy. PvE is usually boring and predictable; PvP is where the real fun, challenge, and addiction is at. However, I find myself hating the PvP in GW2. PvE is actually more enjoyable for me. The graphics and music are gorgeous.

Sometimes I log in just to experience the ambiance. I play for a little while and get sick of using the same 5 skills and the silly dodge-roll mechanic. This log-in lasts longer if I’m drunk (chances are good). Then I sit there wanting to play more, but just feeling like there’s no point…..

WvW is a huge zerg-fest with a kitteny view distance. I’m running along and then all of a sudden a billion people are on top of me.

sPvP is boring. It’s especially tedious with this ludicrous downed state mechanic. Annoying as hell.

And don’t even get me started about their whole “play the way you want” or whatever. I wanted to freaking heal, but you decided that the holy trinity was a bad idea. No, Arenanet, it wasn’t a bad idea. Some people like finding a specific role and playing it.

I’m pretty frustrated with a beautiful game that has absolutely no x-factor. No addiction. No obsession. It’s so wonderfully blah.

Meh.

Posted by: Sad Swordfish.9743

Sad Swordfish.9743

Different strokes for different folks. Have fun with whatever you choose to do mate:)

GW2 does things differently, and depending on your preference, it’s either better or worse. So with that being said, don’t thing too hardly over things you don’t enjoy.

I personally don’t enjoy the Harry Potter movies that much. I see that they are good films and everyone loves them, but there is nothing wrong with me, for not being into them. It’s all cool, and I got other fantasy genre SAGA films I love instead.

You can always give GW2 another chance in a year or two. It’s right here. Write down your security info, your username and password, and download it then to see how it’s changed. Try a new server, a new guild and see if you can find some nice people.

Posted by: LanceHavenbay.2067

LanceHavenbay.2067

Guild Wars 2 was definitely not what everyone hyped it up to be. Me buying collectors and logging in was one of the biggest let-downs of my gaming life. Anet tried too hard to be different.

I do like many things about it. Many. But the things that are bad, stand out like a sore thumb. The repetitive event system, the blank skill system, the absolute lack of end-game other than grinding for pointless titles or weapons and armor….

My suggestion to you, is find what you don’t like it. Fix it. If you view my signature link, you can see what I’m doing to make this game more enjoyable for myself and others.

If you would like, you can provide me your dislikes and ideas, and I can use them as fuel for my projects. I am creating new event chains, new skill systems, new pvp formats.

You should all really check it out. Whether you enjoy the game, or are bored of it.

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

I was so hyped about this game. A year ago i was checking guildwars2.com every day, waiting for more info. But now that its here… I dont want to play it. Maybe its because i already knew about everything in it before i even played it, or whatever, but i havent even logged 200 hours on this game.

Pve got too tedious and i stopped at level 30 because it wasnt fun for me, at all. PvP is better but not by much… I can only play 2 or 3 games before i have to stop playing and play other game.

Wait, one sec. You played a game for over 200 hours and you don’t like it? I can count on one hand the number of games I have spent that amount of time in. Maybe it isn’t that you don’t like it, it’s that you burnt out on it. Games I don’t like I spend 1 or 2 hours in giving it the benefit of the doubt and then I am just forced to turn them off they are so bad. I think that is more akin to what you mean or I hope it is what you mean, because 200 hours in a game you don’t like isn’t good.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: flyinpoons.6481

flyinpoons.6481

Wait, one sec. You played a game for over 200 hours and you don’t like it? I can count on one hand the number of games I have spent that amount of time in. Maybe it isn’t that you don’t like it, it’s that you burnt out on it. Games I don’t like I spend 1 or 2 hours in giving it the benefit of the doubt and then I am just forced to turn them off they are so bad. I think that is more akin to what you mean or I hope it is what you mean, because 200 hours in a game you don’t like isn’t good.

The thing is that you should not get burned out after only 200 hours in an MMO. Frankly after leveling to 80 there is no real incentive to continue IMO. I tried alts, I have 2 at 80 so it’s not like I have only done it once.

I will admit that while leveling the first time the game seemed great, I was one of the ones who thought this game would have long lasting appeal, but once I was 80 I realized how very little there is to do. The leveling process is the whole game IMO unless you really, really love WvW, but it’s not worth the 2 hour queues, I have better things to do than wait in a queue.

I could grind legendary mats while waiting, but for what? a skin? no thanks, hopefully Anet reads these forums regularly and adds more to do at 80 sooner rather than later. If the game had a sub it would be hemorrhaging players.