Why even have armor types?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: LordNat.4963

LordNat.4963

The only difference in armor types is a little armor that can be rolled into the classes them selves. It’d be much nicer if any class was able to use any armor type (or at least transmute from any type) to open up more looks and customization. I see no reason for me not having the option to use any look I want.

Posted by: Bruno Sardine.2907

Bruno Sardine.2907

I think it has to do with the way damage mitigation is determined. While soldier professions will have higher toughness/armor and therefore defense, their actual effective return on invested points in toughness is less than the scholar professions who invest in toughness…. partially has to do with the diminishing returns that armor/toughness play into when calculating defense.

Posted by: LordNat.4963

LordNat.4963

I think it has to do with the way damage mitigation is determined. While soldier professions will have higher toughness/armor and therefore defense, their actual effective return on invested points in toughness is less than the scholar professions who invest in toughness…. partially has to do with the diminishing returns that armor/toughness play into when calculating defense.

Other then the base armor rating on the armor the stats are all the same no matter the armor type. Those extra points of armor can be rolled into a level based bonus with zero effect on how it works now.

Posted by: Lafiel.9372

Lafiel.9372

But lil weakling elementalist and necromancers cannot shoulder the heavy weight of the plated heavy armor!

Though it should make perfect sense that heavy armor class can wear anything below it :P

Edit: haha, it would be funny to allow light armor class to wear it but they’ll be perma crippled or -50% movement speed :P

Posted by: niea.7504

niea.7504

I think the OP is spot-on. More customization is always a good thing and the armor value differences could simply be converted into an innate class and level based bonus.

But lil weakling elementalist and necromancers cannot shoulder the heavy weight of the plated heavy armor!

Though it should make perfect sense that heavy armor class can wear anything below it :P

Edit: haha, it would be funny to allow light armor class to wear it but they’ll be perma crippled or -50% movement speed :P

The whole ‘weakling elementalist’ argument seems silly to me. A Charr can be an elementalist. But all of a sudden, by choosing that profession, that Charr isn’t strong enough to wear medium or heavy armor?

Posted by: fellyn.5083

fellyn.5083

Class identity. There’s no reason why every class needs to be able to wear every armor type.

Posted by: Rhysati.4932

Rhysati.4932

Class identity. There’s no reason why every class needs to be able to wear every armor type.

Sure there is. It’s called ‘Fun’. Maybe you’ve heard of it?

Posted by: niea.7504

niea.7504

Except that armor type isn’t enough to identify what class someone is. On the other hand, though, imagine how great games would be if they all omitted everything that there was no reason to need.

Posted by: Omega.1473

Omega.1473

A) Not every piece of armor was designed to be worn with every other. If you used the preview function (before they temporarily brought it off-line) and previewed mixed set armor, you’d see that there are A LOT of clipping issues when you use armor from different weight levels. Scholar robes clipping through thick armored pants. Huge armored shoulders clipping right through medium armor hoods. It wouldn’t be pretty and that’s because the sets weren’t designed with that in mind.

B) It lets players identify allies and enemies quickly and efficiently. If I see a guy in thick armor with a staff, I know what he is and what he can do without clicking on him. If I see a medium armored rifle wielder I know I should be more ready to pop my stability to cancel some knockbacks than I should be ready to watch for a Killshot.

So, TLDR: This system was designed this way with a purpose. And even if the developers decided that this purpose was no longer valid, they can’t change it because of massive clipping and incompatibility issues between armor pieces.

Posted by: Adine.2184

Adine.2184

You agreed to your AC/Weapon sets when you made your character .

Posted by: Raebfle.5914

Raebfle.5914

If my charr warrior was forced to wear some of the getups for light armor, i’d be upset. lmfao.

Posted by: Raebfle.5914

Raebfle.5914

Sure there is. It’s called ‘Fun’. Maybe you’ve heard of it?

So all professions should wear the same armour because it’s fun. K bro

^ Lol. How is it ‘Fun’ to wear the same armor?

Posted by: Syn Strykiir.9356

Syn Strykiir.9356

GW1 gave you the ability to wear costumes over your armor. I can even think of a couple story quest here in GW2 like that. So if you don’t want to intermingle armors then create some nice threads that can be worn. I love my War, but all Male Heavy Armors I’ve seen (besides one lvl 60 crafting set) sux. If neither of them ideas is good enough then just upgrade the armors to some sets that look sweet. (take a few hints from Aion. they got some Beauty in the Armor dept.) GW1 had some niice Heavy Sets too.

Posted by: Artemis Noir.3804

Artemis Noir.3804

LOTRO allows people to cosmetically wear any kind of apparel, no matter their class, through their very excellent wardrobe system (hint hint) and it works fine. Yes, some pieces do clip, but from what I have noticed there, players avoid putting together things that clip. I mean, who (unless they have the fashion sense of the average Risen) is going to wear items together that look entirely hideous?

Besides, a lot of armour and weapon combinations already clip as it is. The huge, wide greatswords cut right into leather coats. Apart from the fact that I dislike the pearl skin, this was a major reason why I changed my Norn ranger’s GS into a Krytan design.

Posted by: Zeus.9840

Zeus.9840

Imo, the solution is not for all classes to be able to wear all armour types – that’s not fun, it’s just dumb. I’m 100% with the “[profession] identity” reason above. However, I have been dissatisfied with the bulkiness of heavy armours and wished I could wear slimmer stuff myself. My proposed solution is simply giving us a better variety within the armour types, such as: heavy armours that look more like medium armour, or medium armours that aren’t trench-coats. That way, you can still have better customization, but will maintain the “[profession] identity”.

Posted by: projectcedric.6951

projectcedric.6951

I dont think a thief who relies on agility and evasion should be wearing a full-plate armor that makes him chunky and slow. Wth, man!

Posted by: MMOJumper.8504

MMOJumper.8504

LOTRO allows people to cosmetically wear any kind of apparel, no matter their class, through their very excellent wardrobe system (hint hint) and it works fine. Yes, some pieces do clip, but from what I have noticed there, players avoid putting together things that clip. I mean, who (unless they have the fashion sense of the average Risen) is going to wear items together that look entirely hideous?

Besides, a lot of armour and weapon combinations already clip as it is. The huge, wide greatswords cut right into leather coats. Apart from the fact that I dislike the pearl skin, this was a major reason why I changed my Norn ranger’s GS into a Krytan design.

In the past, I would transmute lowbie armor over most of my higher level stuff because of clipping issues. Especially on light armor with long hair on my Norn. Every single outfit that didn’t cover his hair had it clip through the collar. The only set I’d found that didn’t was the named exotic stuff, and that’s because it’s more form fitting than the other robes. I finally caved and gave him the small mohawk instead because I was tired of burning fine transmutation stones and wanted to wear the tier 1 cultural stuff.

There’s so much clipping even in the same set that that argument for not allowing other “weights” to mix is pretty much moot. Though I do tend to agree with the restrictions. It would be nice to be able to wear x-tier or lower instead of just x-tier though.

Posted by: Minion of Vey.4398

Minion of Vey.4398

I think everyone should be able to transmute any armor type onto anything and also transmute any weapon skin onto any weapon, even if it’s a different type. Just for the lulz.

It’d be great to run up to someone in full heavy plate armor and a big greatsword then be like LOLSTEALTH. Or start summoning minions or something.

Posted by: mulch.2586

mulch.2586

A pvp game should have some recognizable silhouettes. I do recognize GW2 isn’t a real pvp game, but it does/did have aspirations.

One thing that is really cool about GW2 is that stat-wise, the damage mitigation is very similar between steps of armor, only about a 10% difference. Whereas other games, a hit that would hardly damage a tank would one-shot a squishy. To the point that ele and engi are top notch bunkers, despite the clothes they wear.

Posted by: nelopp.6140

nelopp.6140

I think everyone should be able to transmute any armor type onto anything and also transmute any weapon skin onto any weapon, even if it’s a different type. Just for the lulz.

It’d be great to run up to someone in full heavy plate armor and a big greatsword then be like LOLSTEALTH. Or start summoning minions or something.

I think this simply is to avoid confusion between different class?

“OMG, that warrior just disappear! Hacccccckkkkkk!!!”
You got permanban.

So even for cosmetic reason, Their should be some restrictions for what you can transmute.