Why have town cloth tonics?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: tom.7468

tom.7468

Why not just let players chose to convert town cloth tonics into outfit for free.
I just don’t see the point if its a full outfit anyway and why can you not even use all you’re skills with tonic? please arenanet turn them into outfits.

Posted by: Kitiara.2706

Kitiara.2706

I agree! I bought all those town clothes, just like I bought costumes. I would love them to actually be skins, too. Love those shirts, skirts, and pants!

Posted by: Terok.7315

Terok.7315

The town clothes tonics were a really strange decision, I don’t see the point to them either. Just make them like costumes or regular skins.

Vile Necromancer||Defender of the Beastgate||Slayer of Moa’s

Posted by: HHR LostProphet.4801

HHR LostProphet.4801

Those Tonics and Townclothes outfits have to be reverted to prepatch. I really can’t understand how they can release such an update which limits your choices.

PS: Prepare for the merge.

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

My guess is that someone though that turning those items into outfits as they should have done could impact outfit sales.

What other reason could there be?

They can’t be worrying about professions not being recognizable in WvW if they allow other outfits, and the same process they used to turn spare-piece outfits into one-piece outfits should be repeatable for the tonic costumes. And I don’t think they need to make a lot of changes to make them work in combat, if their engine uses skeletal animation, it won’t matter the shape of the clothes, it’ll move along any animations without making changes to them.

And if they gave people at least that one free basic starting outfit with the initital cultural town clothes, that’ll show people how they system works, get used to it, and more people would consider buying more outfits.

They should have turned the original set of town clothes into a free outfit, the sets from those tonics into outfits you can purchase (given to those who had the clothes), and added the other clothes you see in NPCs in cities to the gemstore too.
Oh, and also split the outfits into head and rest of the body, so people can at least wear hats and combine hats and outfits like in GW1.

That’ll make the delight of many players, specially roleplayers.

But they didn’t.

I still hope they do that, eventually. It’s be simply madness if they didn’t. Madness, I tell you.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

(edited by MithranArkanere.8957)

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

If I had to guess, I would say the reason town clothes are tonics and not skins would be so that we do not have any FREE non combat looking skins available to us to wear into combat. No sonny, if you want that special ability you have to use gems see, you got to keep that world turning and money is what makes that big old world go round after all!

PS, with this post I am not meaning to be rude to anyone nor am I saying I am either for or against the current town clothes being tonics. I am merely being observant is all and trying to add a little bit of humour to that as well, sooo with that being said “relax, you’ll live longer”.

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

(edited by Paulytnz.7619)

Posted by: Sonia.7910

Sonia.7910

I would like to know too, and I still beg the devs to reconsider this decission and turn them into outfits.

Little lost clumsy thief in Tarnished Coast

Posted by: serenitygirl.1967

serenitygirl.1967

This. A million times, this. Creating the outfits tab, and then turning default town clothes into a fixed, and undyable tonic, is pure madness.

We’re talking, bat-country here, folks. It’s so loony, it should feature talking rabbits, and a millionaire with a speech impediment who owns a mansion, and a yacht. It’s so freakin crazy, Patsy Cline, and Seal have written songs about it. Absolute, effin bonkers.

Either that, or it’s a move made by people so stingy (given the argument that they didn’t want to “give away” a gasp! free outfit), that the old chestnut about coal, diamonds, and derrieres would be applicable.

Posted by: Kitiara.2706

Kitiara.2706

I paid for 5 outfits, and got 1 town outfit for free with my character creation. So, the ones I paid for should be outfits, not tonics.