Why haven't you built a Legendary Weapon?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: DGraves.3720

DGraves.3720

Main question is in the title.

I’m just curious why I don’t see more of them since the game has been out for 3 years.
Are precursors truly that rare (that theyre not enough on the tp)?

Posted by: Phy.2913

Phy.2913

I’m poor, and actually farming certain materials (silver doubloons) is stupid grindy.

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

Well, I see the original legendary weapons everywhere I go. I made Sunrise some time ago and I’m working on another one. Precursor drops are rare, but I still see tons of people with legendaries, often more than one.

If you mean the new legendary weapons, I haven’t ever seen anyone with one of those. Those have to be crafted, so that might be why I haven’t seen much of them. For myself, I haven’t tried crafting a legendary yet because I don’t have the collection unlocked in my masteries.

Posted by: Ubik.8315

Ubik.8315

Pointless waste of time for me.

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

I just started a new legendary after seeing how absurdly cheap the precursor for the torch is. Why isn’t that worth like 1k gold? It looks amazing.

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

For me, partly because the design of some of them aren’t really to my taste, but mostly because the making of them isn’t terribly legendary. Run some content, blow a stack of gold on the tp; it just seems sort of…crap. I’d prefer to go out and collect my own materials but the game isn’t very conducive for that in a reasonable timeframe. That’s my opinion anyway and since you’ve asked I’ve given it.

I have been enjoying the hell out of precursor crafting though. I’m going to have loads of those lol

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

So far, none I’ve liked better than the weapon skins I already have, or else they didn’t fit the class that I use the weapon on.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Fluffball.8307

So far, none I’ve liked better than the weapon skins I already have, or else they didn’t fit the class that I use the weapon on.

I actually don’t like Twilight that much but I had to make it because it matches my color scheme perfectly.

Posted by: Michael.9403

Michael.9403

My ascended weapons have the exact same stats as a Legendary of the same type. If I later change my mind about the stats, they are easily changed, eliminating any value of the changeable legendary. Making colored footprints in the snow adds zero to my offense. Ascended are much easier to come by (I have 1 of each character type, total of 9, and each has the weapon(s) of choice in ascended (12 total). No way I could do that for legendary weapons.

Lastly, I don’t mind grinding, but I do mind RNG’s. Tell me I need to grind 1000 sea shells for an component, and I’ll grind away. Tell me I have 1 chance in 1000 to get the item for a combine at the mystic forge, and I’ll pass. I understand the math, and can calculate the likelihood it will be 2000 tries before I get it. Too high a number to bother with doing.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

They are ugly as sin.

Fluffball.8307

They are ugly as sin.

I rather enjoy most of the 7 sins!

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

I just started a new legendary after seeing how absurdly cheap the precursor for the torch is. Why isn’t that worth like 1k gold? It looks amazing.

When Anet made the craftable precursors, they based the material requirements on what weapon types they were. It simply requires less stuff to make a Howl or Rodgort’s Flame.

It’s why most of the offhands are all quite cheap compared to Kudzu or Dusk and why the water weapons are dirt cheap as well.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I haven’t built one yet because I’m waiting for Tuesday’s patch notes to make sure I don’t waste resources on crystalline ingots if that requirement changes (as a dev comment months ago suggested vaguely might conceivably one day happen maybe). If they stay the same I’ll start the slow gathering of orbs and incremental purchases needed. The only reason I did all this on HOPE was because I opened the T1 collection for it to see what was involved and found that part fun enough to get me hooked on the process. I don’t like the Nevermore look so much and don’t want to commit to using an axe on any alt though I do have one Necro that currently uses one.

Prior to that I never made one because I couldn’t fathom gathering that many T6 mats and had no interest in the RNG of the Forge nor in farming up enough gold in a lump sum to buy a precursor as I always found things I wanted to buy for much much cheaper. I still have 100 unid’d dyes saved out from the stacks I got from the Wardrobe dye change, just in case I ever feel moved to do the Bifrost.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I do have a legendary (the Dreamer) and I actually really enjoyed the process of making it, even though it took me almost 2 years. I enjoy having and using it even more (yes I do still use it, on my ranger).

I haven’t made any more mainly because I couldn’t decide which ones to make. I want it to be something I’m sure will be one of my main weapons on one of my permanent characters, and it needs to suit the character. That combination is surprisingly hard to come across.

E.g. I love Nevermore, and it would be perfect for my raven themed norn revenant but I don’t like using a staff on a revenant. My elementalist uses double daggers, but the Incinerator doesn’t suit her.

Although there are also lots of other items I want, so my gold, materials etc. end up going towards those. If I had less other stuff to get I might settle for a legendary I’m not totally sure about.

But I think my next one is going to be the Bifrost. I have a lot of (non-rev) characters who use a staff, and it would suit at least 2 of them.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: StormageddonBK.9842

StormageddonBK.9842

I farmed the mats ages ago but I was waiting for the new legendary skins to see if they were better than the originals, egg on my face now…

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

I made one around the first year/beginning of second year thanks to Ancient Karka and his unusually high precursor drop rate on purpose during that 1 time event. That’s the only thing of real value I’ve gotten to drop since. Although being a Thief that can only really use 2-3 weapons and only liking Incinerator out of what I could make I never had any motivation to make a 2nd one, especially after spending 3-4 months grinding lodestones alone just to make that one back then.

I was looking forward to a cool new Shortbow but not so sure the revealed design will be worth the effort and dedication at the moment.

If my Theif could viably use Spears on land or Torches and Axes I’d grind for those. Kamohoali’i, Rodgort and Frostfang are the other ones I like but can’t make use of. HOPE is really awesome but I like SAB Pistol a lot more.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

(edited by Doggie.3184)

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

Still gathering the materials to make mine. Between those materials and the ones for the precursor, I’m still a long ways away from it. I hope to gather a vast majority of the mats that I can on my own and not buy them. I may end up caving and buying leather since it’s not so guaranteed as it is for wood.

Posted by: Ehecatl.9172

Ehecatl.9172

I don’t have the drive to farm materials or gold, so I am perpetually poor. I have enough gold to fund the things I actually want to do in the game, and that’s all I need.

Additionally as a roleplayer I prefer my weapon skins to look fairly realistic. Like a weapon an actual person might have. Very few of the legendaries look like something you’d take to a battlefield, and the ones that do don’t look significantly better enough than my current gear to warrant such a massive time and resource investment.

For example, I wouldn’t mind having the torch daggers for my charr elementalist. However the sheer grind needed to get them make them a less desirable weapon skin than what I already have. Plus I mostly use a staff anyway, and Bifrost just doesn’t suit a charr elementalist who specializes in fire magic.

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

I find grinding for the materials extremely boring, and getting them with gold is out of the question. I need that gold for other things.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

Posted by: Ven Zehn.6573

Ven Zehn.6573

The only ones I like, are only a little bit cooler than the skins I’ve obtained over time. And if I did make one, I’d feel like I “have” to use that skin, else it’d be wasted.

I could purchase a couple outright with the gold I’ve made since the game started, but really not worth it to me. I’ve had a few precursors as well, though sold them instead of using em.

Right now, I “might” get the Spark, just cuz the precursor skin is kind of cool looking lol.

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Everywhere I go are legendaries and footprints. They are already in abundance and have been for a couple of years now

Posted by: Visionary.1705

Visionary.1705

Not interested in the horribly boring grind and not worth it for a bling bling overrated weapon skin.

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

There are a couple reasons I haven’t bothered with legendaries and most likely won’t any time soon.

~ I’m not exactly a super rich player and would rather spend what money I do have on multiple nice skins than blow it all on a single legendary skin, especially when most legendary skins aren’t really more appealing to me than “normal” skins anyway

~ I don’t do WvW / PvP under normal circumstances. If there was ever a legendary I absolutely positively loved I might be persuaded to do those things enough to get said legend, but so far none of them are that good.

~ I don’t really care for super overblown particle heavy weapons. Which isn’t to say I only like basic ones with zero effects either, there are definitely some weapons with particle effects I like, but most legendaries tend to go a little too far and get excessive with their visual noise for my tastes.

The closest I’ve ever come to considering making a legendary is Frenzy, just because it would fit my Ranger perfectly, looks pretty sweet, and isn’t too particle-silly, plus its pretty cheap compared to most. But even then, I still don’t quite want it enough to go after it.

Well, and I am sort of considering going through part of the Nevermore collections (though that fractals component of the first piece is making me hesitate, I don’t do fractals either). But even then, I don’t at all plan on going all the way to Nevermore. I just want the Ravenswood Staff. To me, nice wooden staff with a carved raven = awesome. Giant glowy blue raven that flaps about and stuff…. not so much. Too showy.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

I’m not interested in making something that takes that kind of farming (either farming the mats or the gold to buy them). While I enjoy characters that look good, I’m more interested in playing the game for enjoyment with more easily-gained looks than I am in playing the game as a job to get something more rare.

While some of the skins are OK, others are too over the top, or even hideous. I’m kind of glad for that, as it made the decision I was going to make anyway even easier.

Posted by: Mea.5491

Mea.5491

1. I would never spend thousands of gold on ONE item.
2. I heard it takes forever to collect the mats… Crafting my Ascended gear was a horrible experience, I don’t want to do that again. x_x
3. Most of them are too fancy for my liking and/or they have clipping issues.

Posted by: Emerik.7846

Emerik.7846

I took the mastery trait line for legendarys. Didn’t take long.
Completed my collection within a day to craft the precursor.
And was turned off by the gated items. That coupled with the fact I would end up having to dump hundreds of gold into making one turned me off.
I play enough to where I would rather save the money and purchase one outright. And possibly craft one much much further in the future. (when I run out of stuff to do)

The second factor for me was that I like specific content. I enjoy wvw and pve but being forced to pvp was not something I wanted to do. I gave it a go and was unimpressed. Matching seems unbalanced and poorly done and people seem to want to only play 3 of the same maps over and over and over again.

The whole crafting system seems confused. theres too much going on there. I can navigate it and understand it but its just a mess.

Posted by: Teennine.3901

Teennine.3901

I’ve never liked any of the skins with any of my characters well enough to go through the effort of making one.

Posted by: redcomyn.4651

redcomyn.4651

Too much work, would have to do content that I have no interest in, and have no interest in crafting.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Takes to long, costs too much. They are the $300 Nike sneakers of Tyria.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Forgotten Legend.9281

Forgotten Legend.9281

of the series 1 legendaries, the only ones i liked were, in order

1) flameseeker prophecies
2) juggernaut
3) bifrost
4) bolt (but mainly for magic wielders, not physical classes)

but my mains are elementalist, revenant, and ranger. only one of which can use a shield, only one of which can use a hammer, and even though all three can use a staff, i really hate the rainbow effects on bifrost. if they were flame effects instead, it would have been my perfect legendary weapon.

then came Nevermore, based on one of my favorite poems (behind Mending Wall), and somehow even fits the lore of GW2, seeing as how Raven Spirit is essentially the god of death for the Norn.

i decided on nevermore. and i’m 210 cystalline ingots, 250 amalgamated gemstones, 100 icy runestones, a few (HoT) map specific ascended mat drops, and collection 4 away from my goal.

– The Baconnaire

Posted by: ShiningSquirrel.3751

ShiningSquirrel.3751

I play an ele or a ranger as my mains, and neither of them are fairy princesses.
Most of the legendaries are either incredibly ugly or tacky, so nothing I would ever have wasted my time on making. Nevermore is a beautiful staff, but at this point I am well past trying to start making one now.

Posted by: Nilkemia.8507

Nilkemia.8507

Well…

- Most of the legendary weapons either don’t interest me/look like crap, or don’t fit with my characters.

- No reliable/reasonable method of precursor acquisition. And no, that garbage crafting system for precursors doesn’t count. Without the precursor, any other progress being made towards a legendary is pointless in the long run, and the precursor requires either luck…or a lot of gold.

- The sheer amount of materials needed to make the components was simply not something I felt like focusing on for long. Although I probably do have the material necessary now, the precursor issue still makes it feel pointless to bother making the components right now anyways.

(edited by Nilkemia.8507)

Posted by: Mo Mo.1947

Mo Mo.1947

I should get the pony bow, but I have 23 alts on my main account, and 25 more on my alt accounts. Feeding all those characters is spendy!

Posted by: Muusic.2967

Muusic.2967

I completed The Legend quest line and it wasn’t that costly for me since I had been saving up ascended materials. I have everything to make Bifrost now (EXCEPT) 500 Arah tokens and there is NEVER a group for that zone in the LFG tool. Every once and a while I find someone selling it but it’s been a slow grind so for now i’m still sitting on a precursor.

Inb4 someone says “Do the arah pvp track” I hate pvp and will never play it, i know this is my choice but it’s far too toxic in there for a newbie who doesn’t know the ropes and i have no interest in learning them.

Be who you are and say what you feel for those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind
~Dr. Seuss

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

I completed The Legend quest line and it wasn’t that costly for me since I had been saving up ascended materials. I have everything to make Bifrost now (EXCEPT) 500 Arah tokens and there is NEVER a group for that zone in the LFG tool. Every once and a while I find someone selling it but it’s been a slow grind so for now i’m still sitting on a precursor.

Inb4 someone says “Do the arah pvp track” I hate pvp and will never play it, i know this is my choice but it’s far too toxic in there for a newbie who doesn’t know the ropes and i have no interest in learning them.

If you got a kin member or a friend to agree to go into pvp with you into an empty arena – there’s always lots of them – you can complete the pvp dailies in only a few minutes and without pvp toxic bums to bother you. Keep doing this until you get your tokens from the track. It wouldn’t really take all that long doing it this way.

Posted by: Sazukikrah.5036

Sazukikrah.5036

too much grind, and the knew legendary dont fit warrior too well.. Astralaria isnt good cause axe doesnt work well with berserker warrior. Decapitation is weaker than eviscerate and axe gets counter hard by all the new builds.

Hadi the Edgemaster – Pro level Warrior (Youtube Hadi the Edgemaster)
Black Gate Tier 1 Roamer
Harbinger " I will make you (QQ)"

Posted by: Redenaz.8631

Redenaz.8631

There are some legendaries I’d like that would suit my main (Bifrost, Kraitkin,) but I’ve yet to bring myself to commit that many resources to one thing, for one character. I have other characters that use Staff, but realistically, I’m not going to be unequipping it and passing it around constantly, and I’ll frequently play multiple characters during a single session.

Right now, I’d rather just make a couple ascended weapons and save the mountain of gold for gems and assorted nonsense.

~The Storyteller – Elementalist – Jade Quarry~

Posted by: Amurond.4590

Amurond.4590

Back when I didn’t have much $$$ and other account bound mats, I was mostly against making 1-handed legendaries because they were still very expensive.

I’ve always really liked the Scepter and Torch however the main reason now I still haven’t made them is that I just don’t use these weapons on any of my characters. It’s a kind of similar situation to the Dreamer, which I made long long ago in early 2013, it basically just sat in my inventory for a couple of years before I started playing Thief more regularly. Scepter would actually look quite good on my Ele but I just never, ever use it on there.

~ The Server I Play On Is Better Than The Server You Play On ~
- Kudzu, Dreamer, Frostfang, Eternity, Flameseeker Prophecies ~
~Nevermore, HOPE, Moot, Incinerator, Meteorlogicus, Howler ~

Posted by: STIHL.2489

STIHL.2489

Well, I can’t say I have ever been thrilled by Legendary Weapons to Start with, they look “Nice” but nowhere near nice enough to justify the effort it takes to make one.

The HoT axe was about the only one that I sorta liked, but, I just didn’t like the HoT Maps, and Events, and I play for Fun, and simply put, I was not going to do content I don’t enjoy simply for some game bauble.

I can’t say I feel like I am missing out on anything by not having a legendary either, if they ever made one that I thought looked really attractive and did not involve doing content I don’t like, I’d look into it. Otherwise, not my idea of a fun way to use my time in a game.

I’be got other things to do.

There are two kinds of gamers, salty, and extra salty

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

I actually got the staff precursor from dropping random rares into the MF (my only bout of luck in the game and it was super luck!) and I planned to go ahead and craft it instead of just selling the precursor but only cause I heard you can change their stats whenever you want. It’s the only reason, as I’ll never have to buy another staff again and all my characters sans my Warriors can use staff.

Beyond that, I was just going to put a different skin over it anyway…I just want that stat changing! Why I haven’t yet? Too lazy and it’s a lot of work. I don’t even have a character with 100% world map yet…

Posted by: brokenrabbit.6538

brokenrabbit.6538

The best weapon skins in the game are the Black Lion ones. I already have ascended weapons and see no need to grind for a legendary when I’m just going to put a BL skin on it, anyway.

I’m actually not fond of the legendary skins at all. Some of them, like Bolt, are just tacky. The others aren’t much better.

Posted by: HnRkLnXqZ.1870

HnRkLnXqZ.1870

Where do I start?
- no precursor dorp in 3+ years
- only slightly improvement of stats compared to exotic/ascended
- most of my classes use dualwield, so I would need two
- my main is engineer with 2 pistols, 4/5 skills already have a unique animation anyway
- most of the time I play with kits = can neither see the pistols nor the animation
- precursor collection looks like 2x the effort of creating a legendary, if you did not get a precursor from drop
- some of the ingredients are pure gold-sinks, like the clovers or the icy runeshards
- some of the ingredients are pure karma-sinks, like the obsidian shards
- some of the unique material requirements look a bit odd, silver doubloons for the jugg as example. Like they wanted to make this one in particular hard to get.
- most classes have at least two switchable weapons on land and underwater, would make at least 4 weapons, nope
- I know many people who quit after creating a legendary weapon, as they had no further goal. Fear to become one of those.
- I know many people who created a legendary weapon, dumped it on a char they never touched again and created the next until they left the game. Fear to become one of those.

Basically I think it is not worth it. I think about making one of the precursors with the legendary masteries, as some of those look good enough. But no legendary any time soon.

dulfy-effect: Knowledge is power. But without fame, you are just a freak.

Posted by: Figlilly.3907

Figlilly.3907

I have no interest in them. I think they are beautiful and it is great that people put that sort of effort in either to craft them or get the gold to buy them, but it doesn’t appeal to me. If a precursor was to drop into my hands one day I would be as excited as the next person but I won’t hold my breath on that or fret about not having a legendary in the meantime.

Posted by: Traced.3495

Traced.3495

Not going to touch stuff I don’t want anything to do with. Dungeons, PvP, whatever.
Legendaries defaulted right away as out of reach.

let the sky fall

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

They are ugly as sin.

Pretty much this.

A legendary should be legendary, not some ugly thing with a unique glow..

Other reasons are they are stupidly expensive to craft (especially after what they look like..)
Stupidly hard to start with percursors being so hard to get.

The grind, tedious..

(edited by Dante.1508)

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

I have one, but would like to have more. The reason I haven’t made more is that the gold costs involved are too high. Even if you craft it yourself the gold costs involved are ridiculous. If it were merely task-based rather than gold-based then I would have several of them by now.

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

They’re kind of gaudy. Not saying that’s a bad thing neccessarily, it’s just not my thing.

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

Lol and people got all kitten about the devs canceling the next set of legendaries…

Posted by: mauried.5608

mauried.5608

I dont even know what a legendary weapon is , and worse still I have no idea why I would need one anyway.
From what Ive read, they seem to be extremely hard to make and take a long time.
Or is it a case of these things exist in the game , so you have to have one because other people do?

Posted by: EdgarMTanaka.7291

EdgarMTanaka.7291

1. I don’t like grinding.
2. I have never looted a precursor even though I played since pre-release.
3. I like other skins more than most of the Legendaries.
4. Old legendary can be bought, no prestige to own one or two.

Member of Alpha Swedish Gaming Community – http://www.alphas.se/
Guild Leader of Alpha Sgc [ASGC]