Why improvements for vets trumps new players

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Allisa Wonderland.8192

Allisa Wonderland.8192

It’s simple.

The veterans, with thousands of hours on their accounts, are your good will ambassadors. If we are happy with the game, we will spread joy to the new players, and we’ll continue to stick around in game.

You know what else we do?

We help the new players learn the game in a way that is much more rewarding than a more spoon fed leveling process.

Challenge is an important part of the reward process.

Meeting people is what an MMO is all about.

I am absolutely certain that the time I spend sharing tips and tricks, in a friendly and supportive way, is golden for retention.

Now, that said, I do like hunting for traits, it makes the process more interesting and doesn’t align with “spoon feeding”

Still love the game… thanks for all the efforts you are putting in. I know you mean well.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I think the reaction of the community is a vast over-reaction to this, because most updates, almost all of them, are for veteran players. Of the annoucements for this patch, disappointing or no, only one day of them is for new players.

And I think I’ll benefit too when leveling alts, because some of us veterans are altoholics too.

Posted by: yolo swaggins.2570

yolo swaggins.2570

We help the new players learn the game in a way that is much more rewarding than a more spoon fed leveling process.

When I started, I chose thief and kept dying all over the place. Then two players helped me understand the profession a little better. After a week of guidance, I was able to do whatever I wanted on it.

So yeah, I agree it is a good idea to try and keep vets aswell. You make the focus of updates towards vets and keep them happy, they stay and pump more money into the game while teaching players who have a hard time playing it.

Liaison for [Teef]
“Please stop complaining about stuff you don’t even know about.” ~Nocta

Posted by: sazberryftw.3809

sazberryftw.3809

Wait, I don’t get what your point was? Are we referring to spoon collecting here? Or was that just a poor choice of words?

| Lithia |

Posted by: BammBamm.6719

BammBamm.6719

It’s simple.

The veterans, with thousands of hours on their accounts, are your good will ambassadors. If we are happy with the game, we will spread joy to the new players, and we’ll continue to stick around in game.

Challenge is an important part of the reward process.

Meeting people is what an MMO is all about.

I am absolutely certain that the time I spend sharing tips and tricks, in a friendly and supportive way, is golden for retention.

Now, that said, I do like hunting for traits, it makes the process more interesting and doesn’t align with “spoon feeding”

Still love the game… thanks for all the efforts you are putting in. I know you mean well.

yep, lfg only exp 80 with full exo

Posted by: Jornophelanthas.1475

Jornophelanthas.1475

If Guild Wars 2 ever stops trying to attract new players, the number of players is only likely to go down. An environment of only “veterans” can get stale very quickly.

Posted by: rojak.1894

rojak.1894

Gw2 is great at attracting new players but terrible at keeping them.

Posted by: Dusty Moon.4382

Dusty Moon.4382

New players pay the bills – that is important for ANY game. If you think not, then why is WoW touting one month free (even though this is the norm for a sub game) of play before their new patch comes live.

Game companies NEED new players.

Posted by: JohnnySupernova.9182

JohnnySupernova.9182

Improvements for “veteran” players are important because they’re good for everyone. A new player will feel QoL updates aimed at veteran players regardless, because the people that have been playing for two years now have been asking for things that will benefit the game AS A WHOLE.

Also, I really don’t know why people think these changes are meant to “attract” new players? GW2 had one of the best leveling experiences in any mmo, and Anet has only made it worse with their updates and revamps. Someone said gw2 pulls in new players just fine, but can’t keep them, and these changes for sure won’t help that.

Posted by: Dusty Moon.4382

Dusty Moon.4382

Improvements for “veteran” players are important because they’re good for everyone. A new player will feel QoL updates aimed at veteran players regardless, because the people that have been playing for two years now have been asking for things that will benefit the game AS A WHOLE.

Also, I really don’t know why people think these changes are meant to “attract” new players? GW2 had one of the best leveling experiences in any mmo, and Anet has only made it worse with their updates and revamps. Someone said gw2 pulls in new players just fine, but can’t keep them, and these changes for sure won’t help that.

As A.Net said in a reddit post, they want things similar for vets and new players. It makes it easier to put in new items, content, etc. if they don’t have to deal with 2 distinct systems.

Posted by: Redenaz.8631

Redenaz.8631

Ideally, yeah, it’s nice when players help other players and build a personal connection. But there are also players who used to tell newbies that the best thing they could be doing was the champ train in Queensdale, or jump straight into the WvW zerg, not because they thought it was fun, but because it was efficient. Veteran players can be useful, but they can be off-putting, too.

/reminder

~The Storyteller – Elementalist – Jade Quarry~

Jornophelanthas.1475

@Redenaz:
Also, don’t forget that a specific subset of supposedly veteran players also believes it is perfectly okay to haze new players, and to heavily intimidate them into staying out of their dungeon parties.

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

@Redenaz:
Also, don’t forget that a specific subset of supposedly veteran players also believes it is perfectly okay to haze new players, and to heavily intimidate them into staying out of their dungeon parties.

Which has only been exacerbated by the new trait system which mostly just changed badly traited new players into untraited new players.

Posted by: Atlas.9704

Atlas.9704

@Redenaz:

All the more reason to have a neutral system like the game itself to teach players the basics and go from there.
Which honestly GW2 lacked in certain spots.

Elona, Land of the Golden Sun….and undead…and poison. The travel brochure lied okay?!

Posted by: Hayashi.3416

Hayashi.3416

Which has only been exacerbated by the new trait system which mostly just changed badly traited new players into untraited new players.

And may soon be joined by untraited under-statted new players.

Jornophelanthas.1475

@Redenaz:

I agree that the trait unlocking system needs to be looked at again, although its general idea is nice in theory. But discussing that in detail would be off-topic for this discussion.

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

The real problem is almost no traits feel worth all that effort, most do very little, and work passively and practically invisibly as you play. If traits were actually made interesting and compelling additions to a build, they would be worth scouring the world for.

Allisa Wonderland.8192

Wait, I don’t get what your point was? Are we referring to spoon collecting here? Or was that just a poor choice of words?

I wasn’t specifically referring to the spoons. Perhaps it was an accidentally apt choice of words? I don’t mind spoon hunting, as long as it isn’t spoon fed.

Allisa Wonderland.8192

New players pay the bills – that is important for ANY game. If you think not, then why is WoW touting one month free (even though this is the norm for a sub game) of play before their new patch comes live.

Game companies NEED new players.

I agree that games, especially MMOs, need a constant influx of new players. These players don’t join because of the new features, they join because they hear about how good the game is – from people who play it all the time.

I don’t know the metrics, but from my own player-of-one records, my real dollar spending in the game is far in excess of the original box cost, and on a monthly basis. So, essentially, keeping me playing is like signing me up as a new customer every month.

Posted by: Esplen.3940

Esplen.3940

Spoon feeding is where you don’t have to know what you’re doing to get something.

Imagine if you went into a dungeon and there were arrows on the ground pointing you where to go, as soon as you got to a fight, everything slowed down until you used a skill, sped up until the skill was done casting, then slowed down again so you wouldn’t die. If you got hurt badly, the game would slow even more giving you time to dodge and heal.

That’s an example of spoon feeding.

Another such example is giving someone enough items to level up with after gaining a level without teaching them how to actually play.

I guess I’ll say this again, even though this has been my mentality about GW2 since the beginning:

The tutorial ends when you reach level 80. That’s when you start playing GW2, even though there’s no end game other than self-improvement.

Posted by: sazberryftw.3809

sazberryftw.3809

I know what spoon feeding is lol.

I just didn’t get the OPs point from their post. I get it now though, they’re saying the new levelling system means newbies won’t ask veterans questions? Meh, they still will. The new system isn’t that much of a hand hold. This game needed more guidance.

| Lithia |

Posted by: Esplen.3940

Esplen.3940

I know what spoon feeding is lol.

I just didn’t get the OPs point from their post. I get it now though, they’re saying the new levelling system means newbies won’t ask veterans questions? Meh, they still will. The new system isn’t that much of a hand hold. This game needed more guidance.

I think it was that the new system forces players to have their hands held by a UI instead of by improving the game for us veterans so we can hold new peoples hands.