Why is Anet so protective?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: DarkOcean.8746

DarkOcean.8746

It looks like a lot of what you want would promote a toxic community.

In my opinion, we don’t need: A world channel stirring up drama; although we could turn it off (hopefully), there’s really no need for it. We don’t need player imbalance in SPvP; there’s no sport, to me, in killing players that are disadvantaged. You can go to WvW for that. I’m glad there’s no mob tagging, personally; although I agree the PvE content is lacking, I don’t believe that to be due to mob tagging. As far as leveling goes, I’m glad it’s easy, but there needs to be more meaningful and difficult PvE content post-80.

I would like to see GvG make a return. PvP in the open world (even if only by duels) could be exciting granted it occurs in a way that does not disturb those not wanting to participate (again, I’m against killing other players for the sake of killing other players; it’s not fun stomping others into the ground and doing so promotes toxicity — especially if they’re just trying to go about their business).

Posted by: aceboogie.4031

aceboogie.4031

I agree with almost everything you said. unfortunately the care-bears rule this forum so you wont get many like ourselves.

What people don’t understand is most of what you said is easily manageable but having an option to opt out.

Anet could make 1 new map pk enabled so the people that want no competition can not zone there. Also true for the world chat…just turn it off duh.

GvG should’ve been a thing in September 2012 . No clue why its not…

The reason the OP and most like myself that agree don’t GO TO ANOTHER GAME is that most of gw2 is great, the fight mechanics is why i stay, it would be phenomenal to put it to more use in a pk map.

Lastly most people that feel like this likely left already bc of all this and having all new content taken away bc they were special events that the lore wont allow back.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

I agree with almost everything you said. unfortunately the care-bears rule this forum so you wont get many like ourselves.

What people don’t understand is most of what you said is easily manageable but having an option to opt out.

Anet could make 1 new map pk enabled so the people that want no competition can not zone there. Also true for the world chat…just turn it off duh.

The reason the OP and most like myself that agree don’t GO TO ANOTHER GAME is that most of gw2 is great, the fight mechanics is why i stay, it would be phenomenal to put it to more use in a pk map.

Lastly most people that feel like this likely left already bc of all this and having all new content taken away bc they were special events that the lore wont allow back.

They posted about world PvP before, which is what I assume you mean by a PK map.

http://www.mmorpg.com/blogs/TemperHoof/072012/23486_Guild-Wars-2-Redefines-Open-World-PVP
The overall design for Guild Wars 2 does not support fully open world PvP and it would take a prohibitive amount of work to even make it possible. World versus world is our version of open world PvP, and while it isn’t ‘true’ open world PvP for more PvP purists, it does contain many of the elements that make world PvP so exciting. Hopefully it will mostly satisfy people that want open world PvP.” — Mike Ferguson

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I see. So I should turn off map chat and not get event notifications because some people want to act like children? No, I think that’s probably not right.

And no, carebears don’t rule this forum…carebears rule this game. Proud to be a carebear. If it means that I’m a nice guy, who would rather play cooperatively with people than beat the hell out of them, sure I’ll wear it. Happy to.

The PvE in this game was designed to be cooperative. As for changing things not affecting us, well, it does affect us. Because all those other games have options to turn off PvP and whatnot and they all still suck because design decisions are made around that open world PvP that affect everyone.

And since I don’t need my PvE being affected by open world PvP (there’s already too many PvE changes that have been dictated by PvP), then I’m happy to not have it at all.

Saying something won’t affect other people doesn’t mean it won’t.

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

It sounds like the game just isn’t for you. Anet set out to make an mmo that was different than WoW and all of its clones. This game fills a niche that few other mmos have touched.

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

And no, carebears don’t rule this forum…carebears rule this game. Proud to be a carebear.

How i NOT miss to be called “carebear” or “tree-hugger” all the time, after having
left AION.

But i also prefer beeing the carebear over beeing the school bully all day long.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

Yeah Anet could dare more things:
- Scoring system in WvW has never really improved
- Orb mechanic was just removed and replaced with nothing interesting
- Open world duels would be amazing if optional
- Content is too easy overall, we need real hardcore endgame dungeons beside fractals
- Class balance is questionable…

Posted by: Nightfade.4625

Nightfade.4625

It is a little comical to be called names like “carebear” because apparently someone else’s fun requires ruining my day. And in GW2, generally they don’t get to unless I agree to it. That sounds fair but how it seems to grind on them like chalk in the gears.

But I don’t necessarily want to repay harm with harm. I would be all for a server where people could do bad things to each other all the live long day. Let the piranhas have at each other and, most importantly, keep them out of my story. But no bueno it seems. The money is just not there.

GW2 is one of the few games the really lands on the side of the player with a story rather than the bored player killer and I really rather like it. But I know that as much as I enjoy not being harangued across the landscape, there are others for whom it is an endless disappointment. How grating to see someone spawn in the blue beam right in front of you and imagine the numbers flying off their form, the shocked player briefly wondering what could have happened as the awful realization sets in. I almost feel for them, almost.

It seems the OP and some others believe that GW2 is very nearly a great game. Just a few rage quits away from being perfect. If only you could lessen your taste for the unhappiness of others and find there some happiness for yourself.

Posted by: XPilo.5862

XPilo.5862

Tyria is too peaceful. There aren’t arguments between players and there aren’t big guilds fighting against each others.

And this is the reason I play gw2.
And if you want open world pvp just go to wvw.

Posted by: generalraccoon.3857

generalraccoon.3857

I see. So I should turn off map chat and not get event notifications because some people want to act like children? No, I think that’s probably not right.

And no, carebears don’t rule this forum…carebears rule this game. Proud to be a carebear. If it means that I’m a nice guy, who would rather play cooperatively with people than beat the hell out of them, sure I’ll wear it. Happy to.

The PvE in this game was designed to be cooperative. As for changing things not affecting us, well, it does affect us. Because all those other games have options to turn off PvP and whatnot and they all still suck because design decisions are made around that open world PvP that affect everyone.

And since I don’t need my PvE being affected by open world PvP (there’s already too many PvE changes that have been dictated by PvP), then I’m happy to not have it at all.

My favorite reply in this thread so far. I so agree to this and a proud carebear too.

Posted by: Daywolf.2630

Daywolf.2630

In my opinion, we don’t need: A world channel stirring up drama; although we could turn it off (hopefully), there’s really no need for it.

Not just that, but technically it would be a nightmare with serious lag. Then to what extent a “world server” since we actually play on a “mega server”. So to whom, every player in the game, and constantly getting gold seller spam?? Then the huge lag with so many people on the channel? Is this something WoW? WoW is that way —-> Or it’s many illegal private servers that do that… :P
You could at least paaay for your WoW

Posted by: Broom.2561

Broom.2561

My favorite reply in this thread so far. I so agree to this and a proud carebear too.

Tell you something funny… I’m a hardcore PVPer of the type that happily plays games where everyone is a target all the time and where there are no safe places. I (still) play games like EVE, where the lunatics have definitely taken over the asylum and I do well there. In AION, when I still played, I was a (solo) perma-rifter, so if you got ganked there: hiiiii! Might have been me!

And I am a carebear too. I like this game the way it is, it’s relaxing. If I want to go gank people and destroy their stuff, there’s plenty of other games for that. This one doesn’t need ‘toughening up’.

Posted by: Ceridwen.6703

Ceridwen.6703

I concur! Also happily signing up for Care Bear status. How caring, being a kind and generally a good individual wanting to help out others is a bad thing is beyond me.

“Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Steve R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn.”

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

I concur! Also happily signing up for Care Bear status. How caring, being a kind and generally a good individual wanting to help out others is a bad thing is beyond me.

And this is exactly why the forum needs avatar picture, so we can all put carebear avatars on our posts. Sign me up for carebear status.

Attachments:

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Sankofa Jimiyu.1567

Sankofa Jimiyu.1567

OP, you have some completely valid points and there are multiple game modes to find a niche in, but personally, and for most people that do play GW2, this is what we actually like about it.

I don’t play a lot of games, I have a few I enjoy for the relaxing content, story and amicable community. I work odd hours and have a life out of game. I don’t have time for drama, haters and QQ. That is specifically why I don’t play those games, and prolly why a lot of others play this too.
There are always things that can be improved upon, but ANet making this game anything other than what it is, would drive away the players that like it for what it is, rather than what it isn’t.
It is obvious that there are aspects of the game you enjoy, because you express ways to make it more to your liking based on previous experiences. But if that is the case, play on what you like, not for what you want, and have fun in other games that contain other content that you enjoy.

“Look like the innocent flower, but be the Obaba under’t.”

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

And this is exactly why the forum needs avatar picture, so we can all put carebear avatars on our posts. Sign me up for carebear status.

As a carebear and tree hugger i would maybe take this one

Attachments:

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: generalraccoon.3857

generalraccoon.3857

Tell you something funny… I’m a hardcore PVPer of the type that happily plays games where everyone is a target all the time and where there are no safe places. I (still) play games like EVE, where the lunatics have definitely taken over the asylum and I do well there. In AION, when I still played, I was a (solo) perma-rifter, so if you got ganked there: hiiiii! Might have been me!

And I am a carebear too. I like this game the way it is, it’s relaxing. If I want to go gank people and destroy their stuff, there’s plenty of other games for that. This one doesn’t need ‘toughening up’.

Haha nice. Used to play EVE as well a long time ago (Ironically I think I was last in when they just got the expansion that added the “revenant” supercarrier, hopefully i stay here long after the ‘revenant’ here is officially around). Lost my first cruiser to gate camps because i didnt know there were such a thing as gatecamps! just blindly jump to low sec! :P

And yes part of the reason i picked up GW2 was because of the relaxed and friendly mechanics as well

Broom.2561

Haha nice. Used to play EVE as well a long time ago (Ironically I think I was last in when they just got the expansion that added the “revenant” supercarrier, hopefully i stay here long after the ‘revenant’ here is officially around). Lost my first cruiser to gate camps because i didnt know there were such a thing as gatecamps! just blindly jump to low sec! :P

And yes part of the reason i picked up GW2 was because of the relaxed and friendly mechanics as well

Well, if it’s any consolation, back when I was just able to fly an Iteron V, I went and did random courier missions near Old Man Star, if that still rings any bells. Guess we all have our little youthful indiscretions.

Latest thing in EVE is ship skins you can trade and purchase. Is it just me, or are all MMO getting a bit creepily alike…

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I call dibs on Grumpy Bear

Attachments:

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Daywolf.2630

Daywolf.2630

Latest thing in EVE is ship skins you can trade and purchase. Is it just me, or are all MMO getting a bit creepily alike…

Not really the latest thing, just continued production of them with now permanence to the skins with ship types. But yeah, there are actually a lot of active EVE vet players in GW2, was all the talk in forums and chat way back when (GW2 Pre-launch) regarding the WvW system here, many of which started EVE after games like DAoC, SWG, UO where stuff like this has been around in some form for a very long time.

Posted by: SkyShroud.2865

SkyShroud.2865

I see some people saying hardcore people tend to be toxic. I would like to say that is not true. Toxicity has nothing to do with being hardcore or casual but one’s personality and mentality, don’t judge book by its cover..

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International Guild
Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

Posted by: RoRo.8270

RoRo.8270

not sure if op is trolling or living in the past

Posted by: Eponet.4829

Eponet.4829

Anet could make 1 new map pk enabled so the people that want no competition can not zone there.

You mean like Edge of the Mists?

Because that sounds exactly like it.

1 New map
PK Enabled
People that don’t want to go there don’t have to

Stronghold is also looking like it will fit those requirements. Though some people that don’t like it will be forced into it due to the matchmaking, but that’s the same with every SPvP map other than Courtyard, Skyhammer and Spirit Watch anyway

(edited by Eponet.4829)

Posted by: Ceridwen.6703

Ceridwen.6703

I call dibs on Grumpy Bear

Okay! I shall be Cheer Bear!

Attachments:

“Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Steve R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn.”

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Is it just me, or are all MMO getting a bit creepily alike…

Companies still maintain some differences as long as they’re trying to fill a specific niche, but yes, it isn’t just you, and it’s going to get more so. Companies can see what makes other developers money and will try to emulate it. Over time, this leads to more and more similarities. For instance, we now have cash shops in sub games and skins for sale in sandboxes. It’s my guess that this is because most of the developers have a common goal — make bank. The trend I find creepy is when the mindless click this to progress stuff from social media games appears in MMO’s.

Broom.2561

Not really the latest thing, just continued production of them with now permanence to the skins with ship types. But yeah, there are actually a lot of active EVE vet players in GW2, was all the talk in forums and chat way back when (GW2 Pre-launch) regarding the WvW system here, many of which started EVE after games like DAoC, SWG, UO where stuff like this has been around in some form for a very long time.

SWG??? During the time people actually played it (2003- May 2005), all armor (composite of course) pretty much looked the same, apart from color. Clothes now, yes, those came in near infinite variation…. but all player made and player sold.