Why is Ascended weaponry even here?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Crash.9186

Crash.9186

Having these weapons put into the game when almost nobody asked or wanted these is just such a bad idea it’s not even funny, the only players that this is geared towards is the people that ONLY do the very high level fractals, so let’s just say 40+ fractal levels, apart from that…they’re absolutely pointless and not needed in the slightest.

Now sure we can say this about any game, but with guild wars 2 it’s different, simply because Anet said them selves at the beginning that this wasn’t going to be a gear treadmill game and then here we are now, a year later, gone back on their word and gave us the middle finger by handing us this insane list of materials required to get just ONE weapon out of the possible many that we may need in order to utilize our characters properly.

Now there’s players like my self for example, in which I don’t like any of the PvE in this game as it’s so mind numbingly boring and generally easy to do (excluding the times when you have generally awful players in your group, thus making it harder for everyone), the jumping puzzles in this game I stopped doing ages ago because they’re generally just easy for all the wrong reasons and at the same time being hard for all the wrong reasons

Now with that said, I mainly play for the WvW when I’m doing it with my guild as a raid, then there’s the occasional time where I will either enter with a smaller group or just on my own to do what ever, be it follow a commander or what ever I can find to do, now knowing that if I don’t get these weapons then I’m going to be at a somewhat disadvantage, I hadn’t even got all of my ascended accesories but that was ok as the effect wasn’t all to great of an overall difference, now adding that with the weapon…yeah GG Anet, it’s almost like you stopped giving a crap about you’re WvW playerbase as we all know by now that you coulden’t actually care what the players want, that being GvG and a more focus on combat and not a 6 hour siege war on a T3 keep.

Posted by: Zenith.6403

Zenith.6403

This is a korean MMO and korean MMOs are all about big numbers and grind, you know that. If you want to play a game that respects the player and offer challenging and interesting content, there’s plenty to go around.

Posted by: Shelledfade.6435

Shelledfade.6435

I agree… the sad thing is I dropped around 200g on crafting trying to get a dusk a couple of months ago….

Then they turn around and do this with crafting lol, I feel like I wasted my time. Felt like getting hit in the nads. Not sure if I’m gonna keep playing this, too much time wasted.

Posted by: Stx.4857

Stx.4857

This is a korean MMO and korean MMOs are all about big numbers and grind, you know that. If you want to play a game that respects the player and offer challenging and interesting content, there’s plenty to go around.

I’m being serious here… can you tell me some of these ‘plenty to go around’ games so I can at least check them out.

I don’t honestly know whats out there.

2x 80 Necro, 80 Ranger, 80 Thief

Posted by: Cloud.7613

Cloud.7613

Having these weapons put into the game when almost nobody asked or wanted these is just such a bad idea it’s not even funny, the only players that this is geared towards is the people that ONLY do the very high level fractals, so let’s just say 40+ fractal levels, apart from that…they’re absolutely pointless and not needed in the slightest.

Completely personal opinion and don’t act like you know what the player base wants, especially since we all knew all ascended pieces would eventually be introduced, if this really bothered you, you would have quit when the initial ascended gear came into the game months ago.

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

+1 for the OP. We’ve been letting Anet know that we didn’t and don’t want to chase stat inflation (the gear treadmill) since they introduced vertical progression in November of last year. They have been largely radio silent on the subject since the AMA last year.

Posted by: Vorch.2985

Vorch.2985

1. Will never make an ascended weapon as 400-500 + ascended mats would have me pretty much at a legendary weapon anyway.

2. As you said, outside of FotM 30+, they are pointless.

3. As soon as content is created that can only be completed with ascended gear, I’m right there with you.

Here’s what people thought of GW1 when it first came out: http://tinyurl.com/bntcvyc
“A release is 7 days or less away or has just happened within the last 7 days…
These are the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria.”

Posted by: SiNoS.2147

SiNoS.2147

Sadly I still feel like ascended should have been just like it was in GW1. A simple buff placed on your current armor that added resistance to agony. It dident add extra stats and it dident effect combat outside of the agony area. Would have made it so much easier in the long run to just imbue your current gear with an +5 agony resist and not touched the other stats. Sadly though i guess the dev team never thought about leaving it as simple as that.

Posted by: Shelledfade.6435

Shelledfade.6435

+1 for the OP. We’ve been letting Anet know that we didn’t and don’t want to chase stat inflation (the gear treadmill) since they introduced vertical progression in November of last year. They have been largely radio silent on the subject since the AMA last year.

the gear treadmill wouldn’t be too much of an issue with me if you didn’t have to do 5,000 different things and spend 200 hours of grind time in getting it.

Sadly I guess this is supposed to be some kind of asian-grind-mmo, coulda fooled me because when it first came out before all these updates it wasn’t anything like that.

Posted by: Solo.9027

Solo.9027

Probably for people like me who have a legendary for one weapon but still want best stats for their other weapons without going through all the same hard work again. The way salvage drops everywhere I think it’ll just happen compared to having to make a concerted effort for each part of a legendary.

Posted by: Vorch.2985

Vorch.2985

Sadly I still feel like ascended should have been just like it was in GW1. A simple buff placed on your current armor that added resistance to agony. It dident add extra stats and it dident effect combat outside of the agony area. Would have made it so much easier in the long run to just imbue your current gear with an +5 agony resist and not touched the other stats. Sadly though i guess the dev team never thought about leaving it as simple as that.

This is what it SHOULD have been.

Ascended Tier 1: Exotic stats and 1 infusion slot requiring a Tier 1 infusion (Gilded, Karma, WXP, XP, or Agony resistance)

…6 months – 1 year later….

Ascended Tier 2: Exotic stats and 2 infusion slots each requiring Tier 2 infusions (Gilded, Karma, WXP, XP, or Agony resistance)

…6 months – 1 year later…..

Ascended Tier 3: Exotic stats and 3 infusion slots each requiring Tier 3 infusions (Gilded, Karma, WvWXP, XP, or Agony resistance)

You get the point…They could have done that LITERALLY forever, got their progression, and not have to deal with ANY of the backlakitten

doesn’t bother ME because I don’t care about FotM 30+, think it would be easier to just make a legendary, and can do just fine in sPvP/PvE with exotics.

However, why they chose this path when it could kitten so many people off is beyond me.

Here’s what people thought of GW1 when it first came out: http://tinyurl.com/bntcvyc
“A release is 7 days or less away or has just happened within the last 7 days…
These are the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria.”

Posted by: Dasboba.1652

Dasboba.1652

It’s here for pve nerds. They tend to always need a carrot to chase. I just wish they’d leave it out of wvw. Every game does this though. DAoC was nearly perfect until they added the ToA expansion pack and ruined that game. WoW was pretty fun at the very beginning, the you had to raid to stay competitive. That’s when I quit b/c I’d learned my lesson in DAoC. It’s a shame really. I absolutely loved that it was rather easy to gear up new characters in this game. I have 4 80s each with multiple sets of armor and I love the fact that I can play different roles depending on my mood. My mesmer alone has 3 swords, 3 staves, 2 gs, 2 focus, a scepter, a pistol, and 3 sets of armor. In any given night when I play my mesmer, I may use 4 or 5 of those weapons. Can you imagine how long it would take to upgrade all of those? It’s been hard enough to get 3/6 ascended trinkets on all of my classes.

SiNoS.2147

This is what it SHOULD have been.

Ascended Tier 1: Exotic stats and 1 infusion slot requiring a Tier 1 infusion (Gilded, Karma, WXP, XP, or Agony resistance)

…6 months – 1 year later….

Ascended Tier 2: Exotic stats and 2 infusion slots each requiring Tier 2 infusions (Gilded, Karma, WXP, XP, or Agony resistance)

…6 months – 1 year later…..

Ascended Tier 3: Exotic stats and 3 infusion slots each requiring Tier 3 infusions (Gilded, Karma, WvWXP, XP, or Agony resistance)

You get the point…They could have done that LITERALLY forever, got their progression, and not have to deal with ANY of the backlakitten doesn’t bother ME because I don’t care about FotM 30+, think it would be easier to just make a legendary, and can do just fine in sPvP/PvE with exotics.*

However, why they chose this path when it could kitten so many people off is beyond me.

Thing is if i remember right, which i might not, they were talking about revamping the other dungeons to be simular to FotM. Anyone who likes running dungeons would have eventually needed this ascended class gear at some point to keep progressing threw the levels. But that being said i totally agree. Exotic should have always been stat cap. Its fairly easy get which makes trying new and interesting things easy. Which i honestly feel was always intended. Fact that legendary weapons started with same stats as exotic kinda proves this even more to me as no one in there right mind would launch a weapon set knowing they are going to have to completely scrap it and redo it down the line. If ascended was always intended to be how it is now legendary would have launched with the same stats as ascended one would think.

Posted by: Yams.6082

Yams.6082

They likely realized that playerbase was shrinking as people finished milestones. For example, people who have a legendary may be looking for something else to do (to that effect, I recommend going after the Yakslapper achievement. Look it up).

Nevertheless, I feel like time-gated item acquisition is a poor way to get people to log in daily. Personally, I now regard playing gw2 as a daily chore as opposed to having fun, because I have to (as a mostly WvW roamer and occasional zergling):
- refine ectos once
- zerg towers in EB
- zerg towers in borderlands 1
- zerg towers in borderlands 2
- zerg towers in borderlands 3

If I don’t do these things, I fall behind as a result of time-gated item progression.

Yams One/Two/Three/Four/Five/Six
SBI

Posted by: ophidic.1279

ophidic.1279

This game is so full of complainers.

Elyl Jrend

Posted by: Yams.6082

Yams.6082

Feedback can be positive or negative.

Yams One/Two/Three/Four/Five/Six
SBI

SiNoS.2147

Forums will always be full of complaints. Thats just a fact of life. Its where people go to vent. Thing is there are reasonable complaints and unreasonable ones. In the case of this thread it honestly is a reasonable one. It goes against everything this game was sold on. Ascended will always be a touchy subject as it was, in my eyes, brought into the game in very bad form. There were ways to bring it in without betraying the principles on which this game was designed and sold.

Posted by: ResJudicator.7916

ResJudicator.7916

I don’t pretend to speak for everybody, but I am extremely disappointed with the introduction of ascended weapons.

What drew me to Guild Wars 2, and what separates Guild Wars 2 from virtually ever other MMO, is that the game was more skill-based rather than gear-based. If you lose to someone in WvW, it’s probably because you got outplayed, and not because the other person had farmed up a better set of gear. In other words, you earn your win by developing your skills as a player, not by running dungeons over and over. As more and more ascended equipment gets added, this becomes less true.

If I was predominantly a PvEer, then I wouldn’t care all that much about the introduction of ascended gear. It isn’t necessary for any of the content (except high level fractals ’cause of agony resist). Hell, I 8-orbed Liadri on an alt using a combination of rares and exotics. But from a PvP standpoint, the introduction of ascended gear definitely shifts the game from being skill-based to being more grind-based. Moreover, this change makes it a lot harder to experiment with different builds and to play with alts.

I understand that some (maybe a lot of) PvEers want more progression because they’ve already farmed the crap out of this game. And maybe skin progression isn’t enough for them. But why not give them other PvE-focused bonuses — such as ways to develop and improve their home instance, adding in guild halls, or adding PvE-specific bonuses (such as infusions to increase damage to certain mob types)?

*Note: By PvP, I mean WvW. I also do tPvP, which has no gear grind at all. But tPvP in this game feels really incomplete due to the lack game modes, maps, and stat allocation choices, so I don’t find it very satisfactory to play all by itself.

(edited by ResJudicator.7916)

Posted by: Tiger.7506

Tiger.7506

People are just being dramatic !

They want a game L T W (log in to win)

Crash.9186

Can’t tell if stupid or troll…

What kind of thing is “log in to win”? did you even think before you posted?, the entire point of this thread is the sheer fact that this will greatly effect the whole WvW game, even to the smaller things as solo/group roaming around because now we have to grind our face off as fast as we can or we’re going to fall behind in gear, whilst also killing off the ability to have multiple effective sets of weapons to build with.

It’s also the fact that us players that just simply log in to enjoy WvW are going to have the burden that we either must farm our face off, be forced to also level up the weapon crafting profession for the class you’re using, just to be able to keep up to par, this is a major down sight and I’m betting it’s going to end up making people simply go inactive, because we like to play this for enjoyment, not farming and crafting for hours.

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

Hijack attempt—has no place in the thread and should be deleted.

I guess it’s easier to come up with new grinding rather than original content or opening up a whole new zone/race/ events/etc.

SiNoS.2147

What kind of thing is “log in to win”? did you even think before you posted?, the entire point of this thread is the sheer fact that this will greatly effect the whole WvW game, even to the smaller things as solo/group roaming around because now we have to grind our face off as fast as we can or we’re going to fall behind in gear, whilst also killing off the ability to have multiple effective sets of weapons to build with.

It’s also the fact that us players that just simply log in to enjoy WvW are going to have the burden that we either must farm our face off, be forced to also level up the weapon crafting profession for the class you’re using, just to be able to keep up to par, this is a major down sight and I’m betting it’s going to end up making people simply go inactive, because we like to play this for enjoyment, not farming and crafting for hours.

Watch about calling names and such. As the op it honestly puts the topic in a bad light when you attack someone like that. Report troll’s for what they are and move on or if need be address the issue politely.

Posted by: Hrithmus.2583

Hrithmus.2583

i agree, what is the point to Ascended weaponry? Like the real reason and dont say to “bridge the gap”

SiNoS.2147

i agree, what is the point to Ascended weaponry? Like the real reason and dont say to “bridge the gap”

In my eyes the real reason was to try to please the stat grind crowd that blew threw the game then went looking for what they expect as end game. Sadly most of that crowd has likely moved on and those remaining are the ones you see over in wvw that dont want to fall behind to others so they grind out the new top stat.

Also before you try the whole but we need the better stats in order to do FotM. No you need agony resist to do FotM which could easily be added to existing exotics with no need to stat creep.

Crash.9186

Watch about calling names and such. As the op it honestly puts the topic in a bad light when you attack someone like that. Report troll’s for what they are and move on or if need be address the issue politely.

Yeah I understand, though don’t worry I’m not generally trying to Insult him, it’s just one of those “lines” that managed to creep it’s way into my head over time.

Posted by: Tiger.7506

Tiger.7506

It’s just my opinion.

Posted by: Samhaim.8956

Samhaim.8956

Those are the stats on the ascended dagger:

970~1030
64/64/97
not really that much of a difference from the exotic one, so i really dont get why all the complaints…

Samhaiim ~ Thief

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

Ascended gear is here to give us the illusion of content. The original intent for GW2 was for players to get to max gear really fast at which point you begin to play for the content (as opposed to playing to gear up). Anet seems to have completely given up on this idea, so now we play to gear up. Once we’re done gearing up, they’ll introduce the next level of gear, etc.

Posted by: ophidic.1279

ophidic.1279

What else would you call an mmo without the grind everyone hates so much?

Elyl Jrend

SiNoS.2147

970~1030
64/64/97
not really that much of a difference from the exotic one, so i really dont get why all the complaints…

The problem comes in to play that an exotic is 924-981 damage, 90/64/64. While it does not seem like much you have 2 weapons each at those elevated stats. Then add in all the other pieces and you just made it so that if people are equal in skill there is little to no chance someone in exotics would ever perform on par with someone in ascended. The total difference just in jewelery its self is something i myself have noticed. Add in weapons and armor it only gets worse from there. Honestly the difference was nearly the same jump i seen from going from rare to exotic. It dont seem like much till you add it all togeather. There is also one other massive problem in the fact this opens gw2 up to the slow decent to the dreaded gear treadmill. They added stat creep already. Whats to say it stops here?

Posted by: hihey.1075

hihey.1075

970~1030
64/64/97

I’d hardly call a 50 attack gap “not that much of a difference”.

But I think it’s the upcoming ascended armor which will completely widen the gap between exotic players and new players.

I will not play until the september 17th patch, I want to see what class balances are going to be made. If I am not satisfied with those I’m quitting altogether.

Pillow Cake
Worst Thief EU
One Handed One vs One Videos

Posted by: Quex Fehftir.7619

Quex Fehftir.7619

I’m not sure I understand why people are complaining.. half of the difficulty from other MMORPG’s is gear checks. Personally, it’s not like FotM is the only way to get high end gear, so I don’t see why anyone would care about it in the least, if htey have no intention of doing FotM. It just seems like you are never happy with anything. It’s quite difficult to make constantly challenging PvE encounters without a gear scale imo. There are only so many ideas you could use, and they actually nerfed some dungeon fights already, as people were complaining about how hard they were. I remember some things from a while back. They just catered a bit too much to the casuals who just wanted to play the game imo. I think explorable should be harder, maybe like what other games use as ‘hard’ mode, or ‘heroics’ as far as WoW should go, rather than just another path to do. This would be something for the more hardcore players to pick up on.

Posted by: Quex Fehftir.7619

Quex Fehftir.7619

So late but lol.. I still think this probably needs to be said. The community here is so demanding.

Posted by: Duke Blackrose.4981

Duke Blackrose.4981

I would have gone the route of attaching bonuses to magic find, gold find, exp gain, karma gain, wvw exp gain, glory gain, crafting bonuses, and gathering bonuses to ascended weaponry rather than additional stats.

A sort of pseudo-cosmetic progression, if you will.