Why is Common Clothing a tonic?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Paragon.2916

Paragon.2916

I would really like to see it turned into a proper outfit that everyone can access. Yes, that would mean that you could wear it in combat, but who cares? I use it all the time on the RP server, and I’m sick of having to buy a tonic every time I want to wear it.

It’s also my understanding that the resource for the tonics is dwindling. There’s no way to get the common clothing tonic except what’s currently on the Trading Post. Eventually there just aren’t going to be any more left. Hell, I’d even be willing to pay gems for it.

Any thoughts?

Posted by: Xenon.4537

Xenon.4537

I would really like to see it turned into a proper outfit that everyone can access. Yes, that would mean that you could wear it in combat, but who cares? I use it all the time on the RP server, and I’m sick of having to buy a tonic every time I want to wear it.

It’s also my understanding that the resource for the tonics is dwindling. There’s no way to get the common clothing tonic except what’s currently on the Trading Post. Eventually there just aren’t going to be any more left. Hell, I’d even be willing to pay gems for it.

Any thoughts?

I agree with this for the same reasons I pointed out in my school uniform thread…

Also I want my Dragon Emblem Shirt to be an outfit… TBH clothing tonics were a bad move all around. They changed town clothes into tonics in the same update that added outfits and the wardrobe. It makes no sense. They should have made all town clothes into outfits.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Once the supply runs out on the Trading Post, perhaps players, like myself, will put our inventory of the Tonics up for sale. I had no idea there weren’t still thousands, or however many, still there.

Good luck.

Posted by: Mitern.1563

Mitern.1563

Yes! Common clothing as a skin for armor would be awesome!

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

It can’t be an armor skin because the seams aren’t right. It would have to be an outfit.

Posted by: castlemanic.3198

castlemanic.3198

Wait there are non-endless versions of the common clothing tonics? Cause I have three endless ones.

Do you know if they’re tradeable? Can’t check cause of current circumstances, but if they are, I’d happily send you one of mine as soon as I can.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I’ve never understood why they didn’t make it into an outfit either. Making town clothes into tonics never made sense to me and it was basically the end of me ever using the ones I had, which is a shame.

But the common clothing is the one that really seems like a strange choice because it’s a complete set so it seems like it should be easy to convert, or at least no harder than the chef, witch, pirate etc. sets which did become outfits.

I did see someone say it’s because they didn’t want to give everyone a free outfit, but I actually think that could be a benefit. At the moment you can completely ignore outfits unless you’ve already decided to spend money on them. If everyone had a free one it would act as an introduction to that system – get people used to the idea of having an alternate look they can switch to instantly – and every time you open the interface you see the icons for all the other ones that are available and can preview them. I think it’d get more people to buy outfits.

Once the supply runs out on the Trading Post, perhaps players, like myself, will put our inventory of the Tonics up for sale. I had no idea there weren’t still thousands, or however many, still there.

Good luck.

There’s currently 35,074 of them on the TP. There will be more than that in the game in total – I have 9 (one for each character) and there’s 12 in one of my guild banks…no idea why. I’m sure other people have at least a few lying around.

At the moment they’re worth less than 1 silver each so if anyone’s stockpiling them to sell it’s unlikely they’ll sell them any time soon. Although it’s been impossible to create new ones since the wardrobe came out back in 2014 (unless someone has characters from before then) and there’s still thousands on the TP so it looks like if anyone is hoping to make a massive profit they’re going to be waiting a very long time.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Ashantara.8731

Ashantara.8731

TBH clothing tonics were a bad move all around. They changed town clothes into tonics in the same update that added outfits and the wardrobe. It makes no sense. They should have made all town clothes into outfits.

Yes, I agree. They should make all the clothing tonics into outfits instead, especially since we have outfits like the Jungle Explorer etc. that are totally out-of-character as no one dresses like that in the world of Tyria(1), and that goes for some skins as well (Aviator Sunglasses, for instance).

1) Then again, they have introduced a lot of futuristic, alien-looking skins this past year that would fit in a sci-fi MMO but not into GW, like the Dominator Weapons, or the upcoming Legendary Armor sets.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I’ve never understood why they didn’t make it into an outfit either. Making town clothes into tonics never made sense to me and it was basically the end of me ever using the ones I had, which is a shame.

But the common clothing is the one that really seems like a strange choice because it’s a complete set so it seems like it should be easy to convert, or at least no harder than the chef, witch, pirate etc. sets which did become outfits.

I did see someone say it’s because they didn’t want to give everyone a free outfit, but I actually think that could be a benefit. At the moment you can completely ignore outfits unless you’ve already decided to spend money on them. If everyone had a free one it would act as an introduction to that system – get people used to the idea of having an alternate look they can switch to instantly – and every time you open the interface you see the icons for all the other ones that are available and can preview them. I think it’d get more people to buy outfits.

Good luck.

There’s currently 35,074 of them on the TP. There will be more than that in the game in total – I have 9 (one for each character) and there’s 12 in one of my guild banks…no idea why. I’m sure other people have at least a few lying around.

At the moment they’re worth less than 1 silver each so if anyone’s stockpiling them to sell it’s unlikely they’ll sell them any time soon. Although it’s been impossible to create new ones since the wardrobe came out back in 2014 (unless someone has characters from before then) and there’s still thousands on the TP so it looks like if anyone is hoping to make a massive profit they’re going to be waiting a very long time.

Oh, ha! I didn’t know ~36,000 was ‘dwindling’. I’m sure my supply is safe. Lol.

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

It can’t be an armor skin because the seams aren’t right. It would have to be an outfit.

Actually the seams are correct for light armor, as is true for most of the old town clothing, but they would probably get serious backlash for turning it into light armor.

Posted by: Bearhugger.4326

Bearhugger.4326

I’d actually like to see a return and improvement of the town clothes feature. They didn’t even give a chance to that feature they just cut it in 2014.

Like countless other things about GW2 at launch, I thought the idea behind town clothes was awesome but the implementation was terrible, because you had to manually turn it on and then turn it off, which means that you would only use it when you’re in a role-playing mindset.

Town clothes needed to automatically revert to armor upon entering combat.

The game also needed a opt-out setting that can make your character automatically put on town clothes in town, after X minutes spent in town, etc.

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

Hmm, looking at my Clothing Tonics they are indeed endless and can be sold on the TP. Apart from that I am sure all you need to do is make a new char and you get another so I am not sure what the issue is here.

But I agree, turning them into outfit’s would be the better way to go…

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Posted by: coso.9173

coso.9173

we’ve been asking this for YEARS! abd still the devs keep ignoring it. blows my mind they won’t want people to spend money in stuff they want.

Posted by: Alga.6498

Alga.6498

I wish this too!
I would love to wear my tonic clothes as armorskins or as outfits.... just get rid of the tonic....
But ANet keeps ignoring this!

Can’t be that hard to turn tonic clothes into skins or outfits?

|GW1 2008~|GW2 BETA player|Separatist|Nightmare Court|Ebonhawke|Ascalon|White Mantle|71 characters|

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Hmm, looking at my Clothing Tonics they are indeed endless and can be sold on the TP. Apart from that I am sure all you need to do is make a new char and you get another so I am not sure what the issue is here.

But I agree, turning them into outfit’s would be the better way to go…

You can’t get them on new characters – only ones who existed before the wardrobe update. But if I remember correctly each piece turned into a tonic, so a character with the top, trousers and shoes got 3 tonics.

I don’t know why new characters don’t get them. Not that there’s an issue with supply (especially with shared inventory slots meaning, people who have a spare shared slot could just use 1 per account). But again it makes the overall system look poorly implemented.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”