Why is GW2 so Boring to Me?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Deewee.4580

Deewee.4580

Hey guys, I purchased GW2 back on launch day and played it for quite a bit for the first couple of months, and I loved it! It was a fun and entertaining, it added to the typical MMO format, but kept it very similar all the same. I maxed out two characters then…deleted one of the two to make another character because during the time that I hit 80…there wasn’t a lot to do.

So I continued maxing characters until I left the game due to my real life situation. Flash forward a couple years, I’ve came back to the game I loved so much but it’s…boring. I feel everything is very hand-holdy and it doesn’t have the flare and entertainment that I loved so much. I haven’t tried out the new 80 content but I’ve been told it’s nothing but a grindfest which is all great but not my kind of dish. PvP is still very lack luster and has very little progression which caused me to come to the conclusion that I MUST be missing something!

Why is GW2 one of the most popular games (surpassing WoW is some areas) of 2015? What am I missing? And WHY the hell do I find the game so boring now?! I look forward to being flamed and hated upon with the occasional sarcastic comment thrown in there, but maybe…just maybe I’ll get a decent conversation out of this thread!

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

Just follow the Meta Event chain.. It’s fun for me, it may be fun for you..

Also try out WvW, and EoTM.

Do SPvP.

Make your own public events.

These are things I do.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I’d probably find it boring after doing everything if I didn’t have a great guild. Playing this game, or any MMO alone is pretty limiting.

People often give each other ideas on what to do that you might not have thought of yourself.

Posted by: Steeldragon.7308

Steeldragon.7308

Well, there is going to be an expansion.

(edited by Steeldragon.7308)

Posted by: Snow.2048

Snow.2048

MMOs don’t typically set standards for amazing gameplay, or heart rending storyline. You choose an MMO because you want to play with other people, with gameplay considerations helping to decide which MMO, not deciding to MMO. You probably shouldn’t choose an an MMO because you want the gameplay without the social factor, because the whole game’s selling point is the social factor with gameplay being a way of catering to a certain sub audience.

So you are grinding out gameplay, realizing it isn’t top notch and seems like you are not doing much with the social aspect. That is why its lackluster, because what makes MMOs shine is not their gameplay, but that you are playing with so many other people. This isn’t an excuse for MMOs, but a personal observation.

Also the NPE sucks imo making all pre 80 content a tedious mess. Don’t delete anymore characters unless you want to find out about the trait grind.

Posted by: Test.8734

Test.8734

MMOs don’t typically set standards for amazing gameplay, or heart rending storyline.

And will continue to be so for as long as people settle for less.

Posted by: Deewee.4580

Deewee.4580

So GW2 is boring because You find it boring and you Heard from others the new level 80 content is just a “grind”. Sorry, I’m out of troll feed …

It’s funny that you instantly think i’m trolling when i’m just looking for conversation. If I really wanted to troll, I wouldn’t take the time to type this up.

Anyway…i’ve never been a huge PvEr but I was willing to give it a try. Of course I’d ask others about their experience before committing myself to something. And yes, it’s all hear say.

On a side note, there’s no reason to be rude. You wouldn’t act like this in real life, why be rude here? Thanks

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Did you set yourself any goals or did you just wander around?

Any game is going to be boring once you finish your goal of leveling unless you find a new goal. I read the WoW forums sometimes and players will post there of their goals, such as collect mounts or do archeology. They are keeping themselves busy. So what goals have you set yourself? Dungeon master title? Getting full sets of ascended gear? PvP titles? Filling out your wardrobe? Mini pet collection? Getting 100% map on one character or on all your level 80s?

If you can’t find some sort of goal to work toward then yes, there will be nothing to do once you reach level 80 and you’re going to find the game boring.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

I could not tell you why you find it to be boring. It’s personal and this game is not for everyone to enjoy.
I enjoyed it leveling together with a good friend and after we were done enjoying WvW. I did all my chars like that.

Posted by: Jahroots.6791

Jahroots.6791

It really depends on what you enjoy. GW2 is heavily focused on cosmetics, if you don’t like ‘dressing up’ and creating cool looking characters you probably won’t get much out of this game, as most activities are pretty simple and repetitive (not a bad thing though, imo). Apart from that, there’s the social side. Witty banter and trolling in map chat, doing guild stuff and so on. You only get as much as you put into this game. It’s not a passive form of entertainment after all.

Also, I disagree that PvP is lackluster. Despite it’s flaws it is currently the most challenging and fun aspect of the game, and the reward tracks give a very tangible sense of progression. If that doesn’t satisfy you, your expectations might be too high.

Posted by: Snow.2048

Snow.2048

MMOs don’t typically set standards for amazing gameplay, or heart rending storyline.

Indeed

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Ah we meet again. I’m not sure this applies.

It’s like going into McDonalds and expecting a steak house. They’re different markets.

MMOs are designed for people who want to play for hundreds if not thousands of hours. No company can keep up with that kind of pace, no matter how good they are. They have to at some point have something repetitive.

MMOs are much more complex than most games. They have more problems to solve. They’re probably at least as competitive as anything else.

The reason all the games are like this is because it’s easy to SAY that games can be higher quality but it’s not easier to make a higher quality game.

Posted by: Xenesis.6389

Xenesis.6389

The new level experience sucks, nothing can be done about that unless you have scrolls to skip levels. As for level 80 stuff, there’s a few areas to dabble in, but it’s up to you on if you like any of them to do them often.

Areas you can rerun every day:

New living story zones, silver wastes can be rewarding doing events, killing the bosses on the way to making the new glow armor, killing legendary bosses for new and probably the best titles in the game, working on events to the final boss area, followed by doing the chest train for 20 mins. Only grindy part might be the new armor, which I personally don’t care about the rest you can do at your own pace.

Dungeons, can be sped run for gold, mostly the same since launch. Fractals can be rewarding once you get to level 11 personal reward level for daily chests which can drop ascended stuff. More fun with friends.

World bosses, can be run daily, they’re on 15 min timers apart, they reward a lot of rares which can be turned into ectos. The bigger bosses such as tequatl and 3 wurms take more raid co-ordination and planning.

SPvP, is more rewarding than it use to be, you can run multiple tracks for different rewards such as dungeon armor and weapons, you also get to pick up mats and level tomes so you’re not totally out of the rest of the game. As with any pvp it’s much more fun with friends.

WvW/Eotm, my favorite part of the game. Eotm is a full blown karma/leveling train. For wvw having fun will depend on what you like to do. You can be different roles here, you can be a scout which involves reporting enemy movement, contested areas, recapping camps, tapping siege and hunting down roamers. You can be a roamer, going into enemy lands solo and becoming a problem for the enemy taking their camps killing their scouts. Havoc group taking towers and camps, maybe stealing a keep or two. Zerg fighting with 25+ people, busting down other zergs, taking anything in your way. Guild zerg busting or gvging other guilds in the open. Recommended to join the server community teamspeak for better co-ordination. Find a wvw guild to join, makes the experience in wvw 100% better. Speaking of experience you can earn wvw experience to level up masteries as well as earn rank up chests which have a chance at dropping ascended too(although very low).

Crafting to make ascended and legendaries, only mentioning these because of how long they take to make, these are grindy either with material or gold collecting, but they give you something to do for a long period of time.

Collections and achievement hunting are also long term goals to keep yourself busy.

My suggestion is to find the profession you want to play, the area you would like to do often, and find a guild for that similar area and see how it goes.

Another derailing post. ^^
North Keep: One of the village residents will now flee if their home is destroyed.
“Game over man, Game Over!” – RIP Bill

(edited by Xenesis.6389)

Posted by: El Ejcovero.3165

El Ejcovero.3165

I got tired some time after the Beta ended, after I maxed out my Norn Guardian, I quit for two years. Now I came back and I am having fun again. Just take a break, this game is not a subscription based MMO, you are under no obligations. Find some other games to entertain you for now, and when you feel Guild Wars 2 is fresh again, come back and enjoy.

“LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF”

Posted by: Steeldragon.7308

Steeldragon.7308

I maxed out two characters then…deleted one of the two to make another character because during the time that I hit 80…there wasn’t a lot to do.

Deleted a level 80 just to make another character? Why not just spend $10 for an extra character slot? Seems like a waste to take up all that time to max out one character and then delete it just to make room for another char. Mind blown.

I haven’t tried out the new 80 content but I’ve been told it’s nothing but a grindfest which is all great but not my kind of dish

Then TRY the new 80 content and maybe you won’t find it as much of a grindfest like you were told it was (probably someones own opinion) and maybe you won’t find the game boring anymore by doing something new. Simple.

Why is GW2 one of the most popular games (surpassing WoW is some areas) of 2015?

Because its a fun and entertaining game?

Posted by: Kenn.7562

Kenn.7562

I also found GW2 boring and I was playing since launch day. I took a 1 year break and when I returned, it’s still boring. BUT! I found spvp and how I wanted to be competitive and so I played Spvp all day. I’m a dota2 player and I like pvp. And as of now it made me enjoy the game even more. Im slowly transitioning in making my legendary which introduced me to farming and collecting materials with pve.

Posted by: Test.8734

Test.8734

MMOs are designed for people who want to play for hundreds if not thousands of hours. No company can keep up with that kind of pace, no matter how good they are. They have to at some point have something repetitive.

Hiiiiii! <3

People used to say that no first person shooter could have a good story, because they were designed for people who wanted to shoot stuff and nothing else. Then we got Half Life, and later Bioshock, proving those people wrong.

People used to say that you couldn’t have a real time strategy game with 3 different factions, because it would never be balanced – only 2 factions could be balanced, or 3 factions that are the same. Then StarCraft made people eat their words.

MMORPGs are stagnant, if not declining, and IMO one of the reasons is that the current MMORPG players are settling for less. I remember reading a MMORPG review years ago in which the reviewer said, “All quests are of the ‘kill ten rats’ variety, but that’s just part of the genre, right?”. If ArenaNet just took said concept for granted, they would never have bothered with dynamic events, and today’s GW2 would not exist.

I think it may be too late for MMORPGs. That the MMORPGs players are basically all the same, and that everyone who would be interested in something else already turns away when they see something is a MMORPG. I hope I’m wrong, though, or all we will have will the de mediocrity the genre is currently in.

Posted by: Vix.6730

Vix.6730

Hey guys, I purchased GW2 back on launch day and played it for quite a bit for the first couple of months, and I loved it! It was a fun and entertaining, it added to the typical MMO format, but kept it very similar all the same. I maxed out two characters then…deleted one of the two to make another character because during the time that I hit 80…there wasn’t a lot to do.

So I continued maxing characters until I left the game due to my real life situation. Flash forward a couple years, I’ve came back to the game I loved so much but it’s…boring. I feel everything is very hand-holdy and it doesn’t have the flare and entertainment that I loved so much. I haven’t tried out the new 80 content but I’ve been told it’s nothing but a grindfest which is all great but not my kind of dish. PvP is still very lack luster and has very little progression which caused me to come to the conclusion that I MUST be missing something!

Why is GW2 one of the most popular games (surpassing WoW is some areas) of 2015? What am I missing? And WHY the hell do I find the game so boring now?! I look forward to being flamed and hated upon with the occasional sarcastic comment thrown in there, but maybe…just maybe I’ll get a decent conversation out of this thread!

I’d be hard pressed to call GW2 the best MMO of 2015,or 2014 for that matter. It’s a good game but still comes up short with GW1. The passion and innovation are missing.

Anet burned a lot of bridges the past two years, driving off loyal players in droves. The expansion was a good first step in bringing those players back, however, it can’t end there.

Posted by: Caeledh.5437

Caeledh.5437

Why is GW2 one of the most popular games (surpassing WoW is some areas) of 2015?

No subscription fee. Cash shop isn’t diabolical.

And WHY the hell do I find the game so boring now?!

Personal taste.

It’s not the most interesting game to me either. The end-game grind for ascended gear is just a chore I’m gritting my teeth and getting through at the moment. Though many other games have it worse.

For me I know why I don’t currently love it. Cooldown driven combat isn’t fun to me and obviously that’s what most of the profs are. Revenant is going change that for me, which is why I’m back playing after a long absence.

Posted by: Zephyra.4709

Zephyra.4709

I bought this game around 2012; befor mega servers and much convenient key features. At the time maps were dead, I had no clue what wvw was and didn’t like pvp at all. I grew bored extremely quickly but I will admit that’s my own fault for sticking to one class anyway (ranger) and not having the guts to go try out other things.

Fast forward many months I decided to give it another spin; mega servers happened and now I see players everywhere which is great and I’ve made good friends that want to play content with me – wvw, EOTM, dungeons etc. the wardrobe feature came out too and that got me into other content that I thought I’d never set foot in for skins… PvP being the only viable way for me to get the glorious armor skins.

Anyway, I hate to ramble on too much but to put it briefly.. There’s plenty of content after level 80 and if you have friends/guildies who want to participate it’s even better.

The upcoming HoT expansion has built up a lot of hype and I myself am intrigued to see what impact it will make upon release.

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

No subscription fee. Cash shop isn’t diabolical.

And WHY the hell do I find the game so boring now?!

Personal taste.

It’s not the most interesting game to me either. The end-game grind for ascended gear is just a chore I’m gritting my teeth and getting through at the moment. Though many other games have it worse.

For me I know why I don’t currently love it. Cooldown driven combat isn’t fun to me and obviously that’s what most of the profs are. Revenant is going change that for me, which is why I’m back playing after a long absence.

How about thief and elem got so many abilitys you hardly feel the cds

Posted by: RoRo.8270

RoRo.8270

Just follow the Meta Event chain.. It’s fun for me, it may be fun for you..

Also try out WvW, and EoTM.

Do SPvP.

Make your own public events.

These are things I do.

I don’t get why people find this interesting or fun. You mean following the big zerg blob from one event to the next? This is probably the most mind numbingly boring aspect of the game

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

Sadly people who don’t settle for less are in the minority and as long as this is true developers generally won’t risk alienating the majority to try pushing the envelope. It happens sometimes, but as you can see from the market (be it single player or MMOs) such games are the exception, not the rule.

At least we don’t have to worry about an ANet writer openly stating they think Twilight is a good love story (random potshot at Bioware).

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

Personal tastes?

Posted by: Photonman.6241

Photonman.6241

The level 80 stuff is only a grindfest if you grind a lot. I personally like the meta event in silverwastes for example. I treat it like a long complicated world boss, and just do it for fun.

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

It depends a lot on what you want from your MMO. If you enjoy a themepark, GW2 doesn’t work too well because it only has that in limited amounts.
It works really well OTOH if you want a world in which to “exist”. It’s more reminiscent of older MMOs like EQ1 or DAoC in that regard, providing a background against which to socialize instead of providing a fixed game with a sidedish of social features.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

well, in the end it really boils down to what you enjoy or don´t personally. As for success: the game is a MMORPG ripped off all complex and rewarding aspects of the genre to guarantee the enjoyment of the most casual and unskilled players – which is the biggest market in computer games today. So what makes the game boring for you may well be the very reason for its huge success.