Why is Tequatl a one-hour window?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Lopez.7369

Lopez.7369

I thought this game wasn’t about waiting around.

Posted by: Seven Star Stalker.1740

Seven Star Stalker.1740

Meanwhile in TC where you have 1 person at TQ

I ? Karkas.

Posted by: linuxotaku.4731

linuxotaku.4731

This. Seriously. This is what made me unwilling to do the event after a few tries, and unhappy about how it’s designed.

I’d have joined TTS or tried to get folks in my guild to do it if we could trigger it via pre-events (including after failure, like the Karka Queen) — but I refuse to sit in Sparkfly Fen waiting for the timer to go off. Especially since I expect it’d take a few times to get the fight down.

I’m happy with content that’s hard enough to take more than one try to get right (I know I can improve personally, and I’m sure a group would improve given practice) — but I am really not willing to wait around twiddling my thumbs for no good reason. There’s enough toil/drudgery in RL, and experiencing more is really not why I played this game.

Posted by: Ashabhi.1365

Ashabhi.1365

I have a question for you…

What do you do while waiting? Do you just “stand around” or do you try to organize with the people around you?

While I understand that simply standing around is terribly boring, sometimes having that extra hour to organize is a good thing… besides, I don’t think I have ever waited for more than about 20 minutes once the window has opened….except for the one time that Taco broke.

Level 80 Elementalist

Posted by: Eurhetemec.9052

Eurhetemec.9052

What do you do while waiting? Do you just “stand around” or do you try to organize with the people around you?

While I understand that simply standing around is terribly boring, sometimes having that extra hour to organize is a good thing… besides, I don’t think I have ever waited for more than about 20 minutes once the window has opened….except for the one time that Taco broke.

The extra hour actually prevents organisation, by and large, because you have no idea when the spawn is going to occur. If you knew when, you could get there in time, with an organised group, and do things in the organised fashion that event demands.

Because there is no precise time, just a one-hour window, you instead have to stand around, doing essentially nothing (except for dealing with people randomly dying because they lagged or whatever), because people are still coming and going, and any organisation you can do is extremely limited.

As for “never taken more than 20 minutes for me”, well, that’s nice, but meaningless anecdote. I mean, I’ve never had my car stolen either, doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen or that I can leave it unlocked. I’ve seen it take ten, twenty, forty minutes and once even nearly the entire hour. Any REAL organisation already had to take place beforehand, because the only way to even possibly avoid the overflow is to arrive before the window even opens.

So, no, I don’t think that it is helpful, it’s just a big waste of time for everyone involved – and much worse, as a waste of time, than most other windows, because there is so little to do in the zone.

(edited by Eurhetemec.9052)

Posted by: Manuhell.2759

Manuhell.2759

At least you didn’t wait two hours just to see the game crash after the first stun phase. That’s exactly what happened to me yesterday.
The variable spawn window should be reduced a bit, imho.
Other than that, the problem is that you’ve got to be there quite early in a successful server because you wouldn’t be able to find a spot later.
And due to the number of players involved, many players are guesting on successful servers because they can’t do anything on theirs.

And while i can search for materials in the time before the actual respawn window, i can’t do much when i’ve already chopped down all the trees and mined all the platinum. After all, getting some food and positioning only takes a few minutes.

Posted by: xephire.8324

xephire.8324

to discourage people from beating tequatl.

Posted by: linuxotaku.4731

linuxotaku.4731

I would be happy if there were pre-events because we could spend the amount of time we want to on organization, then trigger via pre-events.

The time I did it w/ RE & snowcrash (one of their tries, not a successful one; I don’t know if they tried again) I was there 30-40m while we were waiting — they discussed strategy, I decided on my role, got into their TS, got 25 stacks of +10 power via sigil, got appropriate consumables … and that was OK.

The attempt wasn’t successful (down to ~40% IIRC), which is OK; I’m sure I could have done some things better, and the same is certainly true for at least some of the others on the map.

But wait another hour? No..

(I went as a PVT guard — all exotics / ascended. Mostly I think I could have had better timing for my stability consecration, and better DPS during downtime. But I spent the time DPS’ing Teq, up’ing the downed, and curing conditions via boons. It wasn’t hard to stay up and continue DPS’ing Teq given my class/build… perhaps I should have gone for higher DPS/less support — that kind of experimentation sounds good. Waiting an hour to try it … not interested.)

(edited by linuxotaku.4731)

Posted by: Lopez.7369

Lopez.7369

I’m OK with the event having a long respawn timer, but I don’t understand why the spawn window has to be so long. It hurts organization and effectively encourages waiting around so people don’t lose a spot in the correct overflow or main server.

Posted by: xephire.8324

xephire.8324

I’m OK with the event having a long respawn timer, but I don’t understand why the spawn window has to be so long. It hurts organization and effectively encourages waiting around so people don’t lose a spot in the correct overflow or main server.

Its to encourage people to changer servers.There must be some motive behind it.I guess this must be one of it and it isn’t good.

Posted by: Nurgle.6597

Nurgle.6597

So you would have a reason to stay loged in for more than 30 min, that’s all they care about, it’s doesn’t matter if you are having fun or not.