Why is Tier 3 gear so expensive?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: danbuter.2314

danbuter.2314

I’m pretty sure everyone only uses Tier 3 gear as “skins”, especially the armor. Any exotic will have better stats, and will cost a LOT less on the trading post.

Anet, please consider either:
1. Buffing Tier 3 gear to be on the level of Exotic gear.
2. Reducing the cost of Tier 3 gear, because it’s frankly not that good stat-wise.

Posted by: kartek.6428

kartek.6428

Tier 3 Cultural Armor is not meant to have the best stats. People buy it for the skin, which is meant to be expensive. It’s supposed to be a set that not very many people have, and lowering the cost would change that.

Kyra – Stormbluff Isle – [Agg] – Mesmer

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

It would be nice, but it won’t happen.

1. Buffing to exotic level would be nice, but that won’t happen because then people wouldn’t be pushed towards paying more gold to change that.
2. Reducing the cost will never happen because, if it’s not obvious when standing around in LA, they are selling just fine at their current prices.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

Posted by: generalraccoon.3857

generalraccoon.3857

because looking pretty is not cheap? :P haha..

seriously though, it is quite the leap in price from T2 to T3… and most T3 looks reaaallly cool. This is intentional yea? :P

Posted by: Brewbeer.8239

Brewbeer.8239

You don’t buy T3 cultural for stats. You buy it for looks. And it’s well worth the price for the looks.

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

Tier 3 is a goal, showing your dedication to stick out, just as the Legendaries. There is no point to nerf the cost, or upgrade the item.

I didn’t go for a Legendary because it’s too much for me to handle, so I went with Tier 3.

Just because you can’t have it, they shouldn’t nerf it. Just because you don’t find it worthy to buy, then don’t buy it.

Posted by: Sythus.2396

Sythus.2396

Like others have said, T3 is not about stats, it’s about the looks. I hope they don’t reduce it’s price because it will be quite unfair to those who’ve already bought it. It’s really more of a goal, it’s not meant to be something you get with 1 day of play.

Posted by: PearlGore.7419

PearlGore.7419

What stops you from farming it like the rest of us? It took me 2 weeks of COF P1 2 times a night, You can’t do that?

Posted by: Katreyn.4218

Katreyn.4218

Oh yay, its this thread again. :P

But honestly its a lot easier to get money now then it was when I was farming for it. Took me like 3 months with out really pulling any huge amount of time. I j ust farmed Orr for stuff. Nowadays you can get guaranteed rares that you can turn into ectos or sell for 20s each. If you do all the bosses you get quite a few guaranteed rares not even what else drops.

Even if they changed the stats people would still complain that they are overpriced. And if they get underpriced someone will still complain. I really think the stats just exist for flavor. Only set you might use relative to level is the tier 1 sets and their stats are still crap.

Posted by: Flamenco.3894

Flamenco.3894

It’s not really an exotic armor when it’s obtainable with coin currency rather than with tokens or karma that require you to go certain events and experience the depths of hell in tyria.

Prince Rurik and Lady Althea. Anyone else see the incompatibilty here?

(edited by Flamenco.3894)

Posted by: Noviere.7309

Noviere.7309

I’d rather they just make it a skin instead of rare armor. At least then we wouldn’t have to waste transmutation crystals on it :P

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

The real question is why can’t they be bought with karma like the weapons. It would make me actually care about karma.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

Posted by: Sorin.4310

Sorin.4310

I’d rather they just make it a skin instead of rare armor. At least then we wouldn’t have to waste transmutation crystals on it :P

I really like Anet, but this bugs me because I believe this was intentional. I’d like this game a lot better without gemstore. But I digress.

The price is meant to offer some sort of prestige, and its the only prestigious armor (except maybe Arah since a lot seem to struggle with it). There should be at least 1 set of expensive armor. I’m just glad its not obsecenely expensive like half the “endgame” skins in the game.

Posted by: Quick Mouse.7635

Quick Mouse.7635

It’s expensive because it’s tier 3.

</thread>
Tactical Fury [TF] – Late NA/early OCX driver (SoS)
Spirit of Faith [HOPE] – RIP

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

I really don’t like the Tier 3 human medium armor, for my ranger. But then I’ve always loved the Monument Armor out of GW1. The Armageddon temple armor was the closest option. If it weren’t for that silly Undertaker hat.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

I’ve wanted this since the game opened, it wont change its a huge money sink, and to me why does the Tier 3 even have stats? if no one uses them wouldn’t it be better if they were just skins akin to the Quaggan backpack or HOM skins..

Why? Fine transmutations stones…

Posted by: RebelYell.7132

RebelYell.7132

Tier 3 Cultural Armor is not meant to have the best stats. People buy it for the skin, which is meant to be expensive. It’s supposed to be a set that not very many people have, and lowering the cost would change that.

This game is supposed to be grinding for cosmetic items instead of for overpowered gear.

Why use a currency you can simply convert from cash shop gems, in this case?

User was infracted for being awesome.

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

I would personally love for them to be made into Exotic armor as well, but I’ve resigned myself to the fact that won’t happen. It really does irk me though; if Cultural armor was meant to be bought simply for the skin, then why not just make it an armor skin you apply to existing armor, like the HoM skins? Why even bother giving it sub-par stats to begin with?

Posted by: Navzar.2938

Navzar.2938

It’s there solely for the skin. I think the reason it’s not just given as a skin is because that wasn’t really around at launch, and because it gives a reason for fine transmutation.

Posted by: wauwi.9162

wauwi.9162

well, i’m lucky that my taste goes towards tier1 gear (sylvari).
the other ones doesn’t look as good as they do to me.
couldn’t afford them anyways…so win-win. still, i’m on OP’s side…too expensive.
either give tier3 culturals some nice animations/aura/whatever effect or reduce their prices.

if we’re already talking about tier3, why are tier3 fine materials (blood, sacs, bones, etc) as expensive or even more expensive as their tier5 counterparts? :P

[EU/GER]Elona’s Reach: Aerrith: Lv80 Ranger / Sephirra: Lv80 Mesmer
“Only the finest of potatoes in my zerkburgers.”

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

It’s there solely for the skin. I think the reason it’s not just given as a skin is because that wasn’t really around at launch, and because it gives a reason for fine transmutation.

The HoM skins as well as the Primeval and Krytan armor skins on the gem store were available from launch, so that wasn’t the reason.

Posted by: Navzar.2938

Navzar.2938

The HoM skins as well as the Primeval and Krytan armor skins on the gem store were available from launch, so that wasn’t the reason.

Hmm guess it really is just to promote transmutation stones then?

Posted by: Levitas.1953

Levitas.1953

there are different ways to farm golds op, find your one.

Posted by: Seren.6850

Seren.6850

some precursors cost the same as like 7 sets of t3. Looking at it that way they are quite cheap, or precursors are quite dear..

SoS original -“They mostly come out at night … mostly”
[FIRE] Serene Snow, Warrior

Posted by: Luthan.5236

Luthan.5236

I really prefer some of the “cheap” armor for human male medium… don’t like the expensive stuff because too fancy(but on heavy armor it is good; heavy armor should be like that because the heavy guys are the warriors rushing into battle and should look like that).

Posted by: XxTAFxX.6741

XxTAFxX.6741

tbh i would be disappointed if anet dropped the price now.
As i already bought 2 sets,and spent a long time farming the gold to get them.
but yes we buy them for looks.

Also tec they can be more expensive as you have to buy the trans stones as well if your unlucky not to have any left.

Posted by: Cameirus.8407

Cameirus.8407

If they are for stats they are overpriced as better gear is much cheaperre.

If they are for looks….then compare the price to e cosmetic skins in the gem shop.
800gems for a skin is about £10. But a t3 set costs about £80…..Yeah thats way way ovrpriced for looks.

Posted by: pricer.5091

pricer.5091

If it helps, consider T3 gear like legendaries or exotics like Wall of the Mists or Volcanus etc etc. ie. you aren’t meant to be able to have it without putting some effort in.

Now stop moaning and start playing.

Posted by: Hicci.8761

Hicci.8761

Every game should have items that show the effort of the player having them. Also don’t forget this is a free-to-play game and gems are vital for it.

Posted by: ShadowMaster.5708

ShadowMaster.5708

Its the cultural armour of your race.

Imagin, your mother’s necklace for example got more value than a random guys car to you, right?

Just like the cultural armour. They cost alot since its “Special” for the race

Posted by: chronometria.3708

chronometria.3708

Imagin, your mother’s necklace for example got more value than a random guys car to you, right?

Unfortunately, this is a pricing myth that people are starting to believe. Originally, tier 3 cultural was quite affordable. The problem was twofold.

Firstly, some of the items were underpriced, even beyond that affordability, due to some typos in the pricing.

Secondly, you could salvage them for parts at that time.

The upshot of this was that some people noticed and bought a large amount of those items and salvaged the lot of them for materials. As a knee jerk reaction, to prevent this, the price was made deliberately ludicrous, especially considering the limited money available to players at that time. It was made so that nobody could buy it. While this was done, work went on to prevent the salvage of certain items available from vendors and the problem was neutralised in a better manner.

Unfortunately, the knee jerk price increase was never revoked and remains in this sorry state today. The fact that players have somewhat more money means that the prices seem less stupid than they actually were at the time (nobody in the game had more than about 5 gold to their name). These items should be returned to their karma cost now that the typos are corrected and the salvage exploit has been remedied.

Cameirus.8407

Unfortunately, this is a pricing myth that people are starting to believe. Originally, tier 3 cultural was quite affordable. The problem was twofold.

Firstly, some of the items were underpriced, even beyond that affordability, due to some typos in the pricing.

Secondly, you could salvage them for parts at that time.

The upshot of this was that some people noticed and bought a large amount of those items and salvaged the lot of them for materials. As a knee jerk reaction, to prevent this, the price was made deliberately ludicrous, especially considering the limited money available to players at that time. It was made so that nobody could buy it. While this was done, work went on to prevent the salvage of certain items available from vendors and the problem was neutralised in a better manner.

Unfortunately, the knee jerk price increase was never revoked and remains in this sorry state today. The fact that players have somewhat more money means that the prices seem less stupid than they actually were at the time (nobody in the game had more than about 5 gold to their name). These items should be returned to their karma cost now that the typos are corrected and the salvage exploit has been remedied.

I never understood why they cost gold, surely karma does make more sense for cultural armour, after all you are gaining rep as it were and good will from your race, which ties in with cultural armour more than, just spending money on it.

Posted by: Pandemoniac.4739

Pandemoniac.4739

I never understood why they cost gold, surely karma does make more sense for cultural armour, after all you are gaining rep as it were and good will from your race, which ties in with cultural armour more than, just spending money on it.

It’s a gold sink in there for purely economic reasons. There is lots of fancy armor you can get with dungeon tokens, karma, or gems. Cultural armor is the one set that you can get just by buying it outright for a fixed price in gold.

Items become less rare when you’ve got millions of players all using the same TP, so even rare things can get inexpensive. If you see someone wearing T3 cultural armor, you know they spent quite a bit of gold to get it, so it has added desirability as sort of a status symbol.

Don’t ever think you know what’s right for the other person.
He might start thinking he knows what’s right for you.
—Paul Williams

Posted by: pricer.5091

pricer.5091

These items should be returned to their karma cost now that the typos are corrected and the salvage exploit has been remedied.

Sure, I’ll be quite happy if they do that and refund me my 129 gold. In fact I’ll be first in the queue, especially now as so many people have it that I don’t want it anymore.

Seriously, with even moderate effort you can make 10 gold in a couple of hours….it ain’t that expensive.

Posted by: Caedmon.6798

Caedmon.6798

I’m pretty sure everyone only uses Tier 3 gear as “skins”, especially the armor. Any exotic will have better stats, and will cost a LOT less on the trading post.

Anet, please consider either:
1. Buffing Tier 3 gear to be on the level of Exotic gear.
2. Reducing the cost of Tier 3 gear, because it’s frankly not that good stat-wise.

Its about the Skin,it’s meant this way.Theyre the most expensive armor’s to get for each race,they’re supposed to be unique but not about stats.The price should stay as it is.I;m in no means a farmer,grinder,i worked towards it slowly.You do not need to get everything in a week.

Posted by: Pandemoniac.4739

Pandemoniac.4739

It’s a gold sink in there for purely economic reasons. There is lots of fancy armor you can get with dungeon tokens, karma, or gems. Cultural armor is the one set that you can get just by buying it outright for a fixed price in gold.

Items become less rare when you’ve got millions of players all using the same TP, so even rare things can get inexpensive. If you see someone wearing T3 cultural armor, you know they spent quite a bit of gold to get it, so it has added desirability as sort of a status symbol.

Did you read the post that person quoted? They used to be cheap. They were made expensive to stop an exploit as a stopgap measure and it was never fixed. this is not a carefully planned economic system.

Fixed your caps lock problem for you. The exploit was with the cultural weapons bought with karma, not cultural armor bought with gold. I thought we were talking about armor.

Cultural armor has always cost gold, and it has always been expensive:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/ya154/cultural_armor_price_changes_in_aug_15_stress_test/

Edited to sort out the quotes. For some reason the forum didn’t like the three deep quoting

Don’t ever think you know what’s right for the other person.
He might start thinking he knows what’s right for you.
—Paul Williams

(edited by Pandemoniac.4739)

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

Oh look its this thread again.
119g for endgame skin set is cheap. There should be even more expensive ones.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

Posted by: RebelYell.7132

RebelYell.7132

Oh look its this thread again.
119g for endgame skin set is cheap. There should be even more expensive ones.

The problem is not the expense. The problem is that gold is the currency for the expense, which funnels you into high-paying content (which is usually a specific path of a specific dungeon, very very repetitive).

User was infracted for being awesome.

Posted by: ophidic.1279

ophidic.1279

It’s not really an exotic armor when it’s obtainable with coin currency rather than with tokens or karma that require you to go certain events and experience the depths of hell in tyria.

Yep it is. ALL exotic armor was like that in GW1.

Except this is way more money since you don’t also have to hand over materials to help make the armor.

Elyl Jrend

Posted by: SoulSaga.2390

SoulSaga.2390

Why worry, much of the T3 gear looks worse than the T2. Take for example the Sylvari heavy armor T3 vs T2, or the Norn light armor T3 vs T1-T2.

Some pieces are nice on their own, but the full sets are the least interesting of all half the time.

Cameirus.8407

Why worry, much of the T3 gear looks worse than the T2. Take for example the Sylvari heavy armor T3 vs T2, or the Norn light armor T3 vs T1-T2.

Some pieces are nice on their own, but the full sets are the least interesting of all half the time.

I like sylvari heavy T3, apart from the wacky helm.

Posted by: RainbowSyrup.4130

RainbowSyrup.4130

just work towards it 1 piece at a time, It’s not that hard to get, and I absolutely don’t think it should be cheaper.

’’I’m sad hanar can’t wear sweaters’’
-Grunt

Posted by: Cottage Pie.6215

Cottage Pie.6215

I wanted it really badly, but then found a bunch of legendary precursors including dusk and bought it. Human t3 is really nice. No it shouldn’t be cheaper.

Taua Roqa – Desolation since day minus 3

~~~My Elite PvP Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04xOsNW7zTA

Posted by: Star Ace.5207

Star Ace.5207

Let your characters wear what you like on them. T3 are expensive, true, but personally I don’t attach any “status” to them, and don’t think higher or lower of anyone wearing them. In a way, CoF 1 has cheapened the way to make money to a point that I don’t consider any expensive item in the game any sort of feat (no offense meant.) Money is not the luxury it used to be when I began playing back in August. I like some pieces, but not that much to be willing to pay the price (my Charr warrior has a mix of T1, T2, and T3 very much intentionally, as it’s the look I prefer for her, rather than the bulky Rytlock-style full armor-don’t care a bit if I am not as “prestigious” as another player “is”-also, sadly, most other non-cultural armor wasn’t customized very well for the Charr.)

I feel not all cultural pieces fit every Profession, though of course people are not constrained in this game to “Necromancer armor” or “Mesmer armor.” For instance, human light T1 looks like a lab worker, T2 is 100% Mesmer style on the flamboyant side, and T3 “Ele” style. If I had a female human Mesmer, I wouldn’t get T3 for her because it would feel “too much elementalist” to me (though clearly, that’s a subjective value.)

To be honest, there are at least two Dungeon skins that look “better” than human T3 light for my female elementalist too, so “status” is no concern of mine if I am not 100% happy with how my character looks.

I do believe they should probably not make them cheaper-at most make them Exotics, but do remember that most players will still transmute them, as who wants a set of armor with Exotic stats they may have no use for if they don’t suit their builds?

Posted by: KevinEvo.7061

KevinEvo.7061

I hate this whining all the time. Just because you spent $60 on the game does not make you entitled to everything in it. Do you go complain at high end clothing stores that you can’t afford $250 jeans? No, you just don’t buy it. These games will always have people with more than you, just like real life. Just accept the fact that not everyone can or wants to get the most expensive stuff.

I farmed for 3 months every evening and every weekend for my legendary and T3 armor because I was willing to pay the price in time for it. If you are not, too bad.

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

some precursors cost the same as like 7 sets of t3. Looking at it that way they are quite cheap, or precursors are quite dear..

Players made the precursors prices Anet made the Cultural prices, big difference…

I always thought the Faction armors (Vigil, Priory and Whispers)should be level 40-60 too so we get to use them earlier in our story lines but nope..

Posted by: Flamenco.3894

Flamenco.3894

Yep it is. ALL exotic armor was like that in GW1.

Except this is way more money since you don’t also have to hand over materials to help make the armor.

I think that’s a different game.

Prince Rurik and Lady Althea. Anyone else see the incompatibilty here?

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

It looks like some people are mistaking the Cultural armours for the Order armours.

Tier 3 has always costed 119 gold in total. It was the Order armours who were very cheap for some time, only costing 50 – 80 silver per piece.

Tier 3 was never more ’’affordable’’ than it is now.

Though, it is FAR more affordable now because how easy it is getting gold compared to before.

(edited by Farzo.8410)