Why is ascended gear unique? Any reason?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Azure Prower.8701

Azure Prower.8701

Q:

What purpose does it serve?

Does the extra 5 stat of the same infusion stat really make a difference that it requires two different infusion slots instead of the same?

(edited by Azure Prower.8701)

Azure Prower.8701

A:

So that if you want to infuse both with the same stat you have to grind more for a versatile infusion. What was the versatile precision rec? 250 passion flowers? Now that was a grind before SSC event.

Anet loves grind. Keeps people busy.

For lack of a better answer. I’m going with this one.

Posted by: LHound.8964

LHound.8964

What purpose does it serve?

Does the extra 5 stat of the same infusion stat really make a difference?

For me? No, it doesn’t make a difference!

For some people it does and there are some infusions that are both (offensive/defensive) that could bring that extra 5 points, but are very expensive (comparing with the normal ones).

—————— ~~ ~~ —-————-
Charr’s need more Love. All is Vain
—————— ~~ ~~ —-————-

Posted by: deviller.9135

deviller.9135

Implementation in WoW: you cannot have more than 1 in your character (but you may have 1 in another character). You can only equip 1 of this item, unless its told otherwise. This is due to no-sharing bank.

Implementation in GW2: You may have as many as you want (due to sharing bank); but for each of your character, you can only equip 1.

Purpose ?
1. Limiting people to use more than 1 item (as the item may too strong).
2. Its unique according to lore. (which mean there is only 1 item in 1 story (lore)).

In gw2, each character = each story (they have separated story).

Extra 5 stats ? No, it doesn’t make any difference, except that stat is agony resistance.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Purpose ?
2. Its unique according to lore. (which mean there is only 1 item in 1 story (lore)).

Except, of course, it couldn’t be one of those, because:
1. you can use defensive/ovensive combo (and one versatile infusion), or uninfused/infused version combo to achieve the same result you could have if the item wasn’t unique. In both cases the end results are equally strong.
2. The items may be named, but there is no history behind them, they don’t appear in story, but as a random drop (or from a vendor, but that came later).

So… no real reason at all.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: deviller.9135

deviller.9135

Purpose ?

1. you can use defensive/ovensive combo (and one versatile infusion), or uninfused/infused version combo to achieve the same result you could have if the item wasn’t unique. In both cases the end results are equally strong.
2. The items may be named, but there is no history behind them, they don’t appear in story, but as a random drop (or from a vendor, but that came later).

1. It may be too strong: This case only happen in WoW (Imagine you have 2 legendary same name in your character).

2. Player may see it as it only a name. But let see:
Althea’s Ashes
Ancient Karka Carapace
Appleseller’s Lucky Cog
Imperial Chef Yileng’s Golden Spoon
Warmaster’s Family Heirloom
Maybe they don’t have a background story around it, but the developer feel it as their name is connected to a person or certain item in the lore (and they want player feel it too). Thus they make it unique. (It is same as relic in real world. Maybe they don’t have story behind it, but it becomes one of sign that an era exist or one of sign that an event exist in the past).

Posted by: CobaltSixty.1542

CobaltSixty.1542

How could you have 2 of the shiniest shiny? Which one is the shiniest?

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

Story armor for your person it should be the rare thing that only you have and there is only one in all the lands. Mind you this falls some what apart with other ppl but it still gives a good story to the items you have. Also to keep ppl from getting a bit too far maxing out infusion by going all in def or all in attk.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Azure Prower.8701

Story armor for your person it should be the rare thing that only you have and there is only one in all the lands. Mind you this falls some what apart with other ppl but it still gives a good story to the items you have. Also to keep ppl from getting a bit too far maxing out infusion by going all in def or all in attk.

The later introduction of omni infusions makes this invalid.

Posted by: TwoBit.5903

TwoBit.5903

Other than to increase the grind, don’t really see any reason for them to be unique. Maybe to be thematic? Ascended accessories do have lore tied to them.

(edited by TwoBit.5903)

Astralporing.1957

Purpose ?

1. It may be too strong: This case only happen in WoW (Imagine you have 2 legendary same name in your character).

2. Player may see it as it only a name. But let see:
Althea’s Ashes
Ancient Karka Carapace
Appleseller’s Lucky Cog
Imperial Chef Yileng’s Golden Spoon
Warmaster’s Family Heirloom
Maybe they don’t have a background story around it, but the developer feel it as their name is connected to a person or certain item in the lore (and they want player feel it too). Thus they make it unique. (It is same as relic in real world. Maybe they don’t have story behind it, but it becomes one of sign that an era exist or one of sign that an event exist in the past).

1. it is indeed possible to have two of the same legendaries on your GW2 character (as long as it is a weapon you can use both as main and offhand)
Also, if having two red rings of death on one character is too powerful, why the same isn’t true of a character with red ring of death and a crystalline band with versatile infusion? Or of someone with red ring of death and red ring of death (infused)?
Second (and third) option may cost a bit more, but offers equal stats to the first one.

2. That does not explain why ascended jewellery is so unique, but all other named eq (including Legendaries) isn’t.
Also, at one time there were selling Althea’s Ashes at every street corner for measly 500g. The real ones were buried, and not made into an earring. And lot of other names do not suggest any unique quality at all (mark of imperial guard? molten Ore? Plague Idol? Gargoyle Skull? Unique history… seriously?)

Actions, not words.

Azure Prower.8701

Still a mystery why Anet made them unique. None of the reasons given by players so far in this thread are valid or justified.

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

It makes no sense to me, every tier below it works fine but Ascended don’t how convenient, and they have lore tied to them? news to me shame legendaries and the game doesn’t have much lore tied to them where it would be more useful..

Posted by: Sobat.8650

Sobat.8650

They probably have some bigger plans they want to do with infusions, so they force you into one defense and one offense.

Astralporing.1957

They probably have some bigger plans they want to do with infusions, so they force you into one defense and one offense.

The only thing they force people into is using one versatile infusion (or an uninfused/infused version combo in case of non-fractal pve/WvW, where the lack of 5 ar doesn’t matter)

Actions, not words.

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

They are unique to give a vertical progression system:

- versatile simple/laurel infusion don’t give max stats and are cheap
- offensive+defensive infusions give stats and expensive
- versatile infusions allow you to min-max but are prohibitively expensive due to passion flowers

That way, there’s a very small group of hardcore player that can claim perfect stats, while most have to make due with versatile simple infusions. On the other hand, these perfect stats are such small increments, that they’re actually not noticeable at all. It gives a sense of progression while not giving meaningful progression. It’s brilliant imho.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Posted by: Spiral Architect.6540

Spiral Architect.6540

Ascended items are unique because having an extra +4 to a stat would, obviously, break the game.

Posted by: niea.7504

niea.7504

You just blew my mind.

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Because ascended gear is poorly thought out, and every aspect of them shows why.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

Posted by: Bacon.7035

Bacon.7035

I just managed to buy another Althea’s Ashes and made it soulbound, little did I notice it was unique. My common sense thought I could have two of the same accessory, as I’ve had with all other types of rarity items. I have learned now, next time I’ll read everything and stop assuming stuff. Hope no one else makes this mistake because it really sucks. Now I feel quite stupid after spending a month doing dailies and 50 ectos on something I can’t really use.

Bacön

Seafarer’s Rest

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

Because ascended gear is poorly thought out, and every aspect of them shows why.

Ascended gear/items looks forced due bad design decisions yet makes the game more clumsy.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

Posted by: AcidicVision.5498

AcidicVision.5498

Best answer.

Most of the ascended stuff is tied directly to a very specific thing in the lore. You can’t have two because two shouldn’t exist. Conceptually it makes perfect sense. Mechanically it breaks suspension of disbelief when you still see the item in the vendor after you have bought one.

A thing to keep in mind when you wonder “why” about something is that the game extends beyond your spread-sheet perception of your characters. Items or events may tie into the worlds lore, history, current events, well known NPCs, or accomplishments. There are communities in the game besides the min-maxers. And they appreciate small touches like not being able to have two Urns of Altheas Ashes or two of the same ornate necklace that the same person bought for Jenna.

Note: Altheas Ashes may be a bad example because there was a scam the first month of so of GW launch where players were trying to sell other players fraudulent ashes so they could avoid a difficult low level quest. But you get the point.

The Kismet
Dragonbrand

Astralporing.1957

Best answer.

Most of the ascended stuff is tied directly to a very specific thing in the lore. You can’t have two because two shouldn’t exist.

Bud of the Pale Tree
Mark of the Imperial Guard
Third-Place Medal (in the Divinity Reach Fancy kittenociation contest…)
Petrified Skull Juju
Luxon pendant
Kodan Prayer Beeads
Symbol of the Deceiver
Jade Wind Orb
Archaic Grawl Necklace
Cystalline Band
Vine of the Pale Tree
Barbed Signet
Ettinband
Haling Signet
Purge Signet
Druid Band
Althea’s Ashes (seeing as the original ones were put to rest, this is propably one of the fakes sold in Ascalon for 500 gold)
Golden Relic of Rin
Molten Ore
Fledgling Charm
Fierceshot’s Arrowhead
Plague Idol
Gargoyle Skull
Kurzick bauble
Preserved Red Iris Flower
Armbrace of Truth
Ancient Mursaat Token
Consortium Charm
Moon Shell

…yep, definitely unique, one-of-a-kind. Two of any of those should never exist.

Actions, not words.

Posted by: AcidicVision.5498

AcidicVision.5498

Best answer.

Most of the ascended stuff is tied directly to a very specific thing in the lore. You can’t have two because two shouldn’t exist.

[cut]

…yep, definitely unique, one-of-a-kind. Two of any of those should never exist.

In case you are confused about the word “Most”, which you quoted for me, http://vlc.polyu.edu.hk/academicwriter/argument/qualifying.htm
Or plainly, knowing and conceding to the point there are some exceptions specifically to avoid generalizing that “all” Ascended items qualify and discourage posts like yours.

Now if we apply the spirit of the post, which is pretty clear…

Half of the items you listed that are the exception are exceedingly rare, so a character would still not likely have two of them. Like the skull of an extinct species, signets that havent been used for over two centuries, arrowheads used by an ancient hero that the Charr would probably take quick claim, or tokens from enemies that the majority of Tyria only ever heard about.

I figured I would have to make this post before the end of the day. Thanks for getting it out of the way quick for me.

The Kismet
Dragonbrand

(edited by AcidicVision.5498)

Posted by: Navzar.2938

Navzar.2938

^ Um those aren’t very unique either. Especially if you consider the shear number of those things that existed 250 years ago.
For your specific examples-

Gargoyles skull-, yeah They’re extinct, but they were killed in mass droves by adventurers and existed in groups. If you found one skull, you probably found multiple.
Signets- Everyone from that time had them, everyone. And skill trainers must have had multiple.
Arrowhead-Pyre fired many, many arrows multiple at the same targets and in the same area.
The only ones rare enough to fit your proposed reason are the ones tied to specific people (excluding family crests).
Some truly unique necklaces do exists though, but you can only use one necklace anyway, and still only a handful.

Posted by: Akari Storm.6809

Akari Storm.6809

Quite simply in the words of Mr. Liff “Because they made it that way”.

Some up top said something along the lines of that it was justified. Justified? It is what it is, a creation of someone other than yourself, they don’t have to justify anything they do. They may want to "justify’ certain things to keep players happy, but if it ain’t about dollars then it don’t make sense. I’m sure if they felt that something like this would lose them players logging in then they probably would have taken another route. This is a tiny non-issue for me, sorry it bothers some.

Oh, didn’t notice this thread was older.

Astralporing.1957

In case you are confused about the word “Most”, which you quoted for me, http://vlc.polyu.edu.hk/academicwriter/argument/qualifying.htm
Or plainly, knowing and conceding to the point there are some exceptions specifically to avoid generalizing that “all” Ascended items qualify and discourage posts like yours.

I was very generous in my post, listing only the most obvious things. If you were to count ascended eq that should be truly unique, you’d easily find that it’s way below half of all of them. Definitely not most.
And of course there can be more than one “the shiniest shiny”! You are thinking too linear. Not enough angles!

Actions, not words.