Why is damaged/broken armor still in game?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

Previously, the loss of gold from damaged armor gave some incentive to not die.

Now all damaged armor does is annoy you, but not enough to care about avoiding death. So it’s a useless mechanic.

Also, why does the damaged armor figure (at the bottom corner of your health bubble when you mouse over) not show your backpiece?

Posted by: moonlightseal.6927

moonlightseal.6927

Game already is pretty much penalty-less. Imagine the internet rage if they went back to GW1 penalties. -15% stats for each death up to 60%.

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

Damaged armor leads to broken armor, which is not effective. This is incentive not to die. In theory.

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

It forces players to stop and go repair when their gear breaks, rather than attempting an encounter endlessly.

Backpieces were a late addition.

Posted by: Relshdan.6854

Relshdan.6854

each death should break one piece of gear immediately….they need to remove the “damaged” step…..this would be more effective than the current system in making life/death more meaningful…without alienating casual players.

Chaos Organ (Ele), Pistol Opera (Thief), Modular Man (Eng)
MARA (EU) Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

With more skill, you’ll find yourself dying left often. This in turn leads to less armor repairs.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Posted by: Hannelore.8153

Hannelore.8153

each death should break one piece of gear immediately….they need to remove the “damaged” step…..this would be more effective than the current system in making life/death more meaningful…without alienating casual players.

This would completely destroy runes. I agree that this kind of penalty is needed, however it must not disable the #6 on runes after just one death.

Daisuki [SUKI] LGBT-Friendly Guild Leader | NA – Jade Quarry
I’m usually really sweet… but this an internet forum and you know how it has to be.
/i’m a lesbiab… lesbiam… less bien… GIRLS/

Posted by: stale.9785

stale.9785

Game already is pretty much penalty-less. Imagine the internet rage if they went back to GW1 penalties. -15% stats for each death up to 60%.

I would love this. But not a straight % penalty.

Couple it with armour breakage – 6 bits of armour, one piece gets broken each time.

Have your rune bonuses disappear if that bit of armour is broken.

Once you hit 60%, you have NO armour, thus no rune bonus, plus the loss of stat bonuses and toughness.

THIS. IS. TYRIA!

Posted by: BrunoBRS.5178

BrunoBRS.5178

it was stupid, because at that point, you’re better off just porting back to the outpost, because if you couldn’t do that content at 100% stats, what made the devs think you’d stand a chance at 85, 70, 55, or 40%? “oh yeah, you died against this boss. let me turn hard mode on as punishment”.

there are ways to make harsh, but effective penalties. GW1’s system wasn’t one of them.

LegendaryMythril/Zihark Darshell