Why is everybody complaining about RNG?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Iruwen.3164

Iruwen.3164

I’ll happily buy stuff with real money, but I won’t buy a chance to get stuff I want. The concept is ridiculous, it’s gambling. I want that stuff though, and that gives me a real bad feeling. I guess a lot of people feel like that. Plus the other things that make you feel bad about GW2, but are not bad enough to actually make you quit. That’s why there’s so much hate in the forums.

Iruwen Evillan, Human Mesmer on Drakkar Lake

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

- In other games how many grinded a dungeon just to get a piece of equipment that still never dropped?
- In other games how many of you crafted items with proc. effect, that never did proc?

These are RNG effects too!

Yes. And there are reasons why a lot of people stopped playing those other games and came here.

Instead finding out that in this regard GW2 wasn’t any better than all those other games, regardless of the prelaunch developers’ hype.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: jheryn.8390

jheryn.8390

So, why is everybody complaining about RNG? I honestly don’t care about skins, and if I get one by chance from Boxes that’s fine.

Only thing that bothers me a bit is the extremely low drop rate of keys for Black Lion Chests, since I would really like to get some Transmutation stones.

YOU don’t care about skins. The people who are complaining DO care about skins.

Why is this concept so hard to grasp?

You are right Pricer. You care about skins and that is great. We all have in game things we enjoy. You need to voice your opinions. It is the only way ANet will hear you if you do.

But I would just suggest that you consider this too. There are many, many more out there who do not care about the same things you or I do. They have their own likes, etc. as shown by Mentalhead’s response. Just realize that ANet must keep them happy as well. Many like the RNG models.

So as a person who deals with employees and customers alike, they best way to get what you want is by stating your desires and complaints in a civil way without threats, insults, hate, and sarcasm. I’m not saying you do this, but many, many posters in the forums take this approach and it is never productive. In fact, handling things in those ways usually garners the opposite desired results.

Bottom line is, I get what you are saying Pricer and I appreciate it. Keep voicing your opinions. Just realize that it is OK for those with opposite views to voice their opinions as well.

Posted by: LHound.8964

LHound.8964

- In other games how many grinded a dungeon just to get a piece of equipment that still never dropped?
- In other games how many of you crafted items with proc. effect, that never did proc?

Yes. And there are reasons why a lot of people stopped playing those other games and came here.

Instead finding out that in this regard GW2 wasn’t any better than all those other games, regardless of the prelaunch developers’ hype.

No.

As marnick said in those previous games, the RNG was a key factor for you as a player advance in the game. In this case it only affects the cosmetics.

My point is to demonstrate that RNG exised in other games. It’s wasn’t properly invented by ANet.

—————— ~~ ~~ —-————-
Charr’s need more Love. All is Vain
—————— ~~ ~~ —-————-

Posted by: cygnus.8913

cygnus.8913

Implied in your statement is that people not buying chests with cash (gems) aren’t avid supporters of the game. I’ve bought one out of curiosity, though I know the chances sucked. But I’ve also spent about £200 on gems since the game launched for tools, bag slots, bank tabs, toon slots, and to convert into gold- just not on boxes.

I have to excuse myself because that’s not what I meant. I respect people who support the game, and one of the ways that clearly shows is through ticket weapons.

In the end, I would be far more happy with tickets on sale for 2000 gems, but at least I can make the choice to not want any.

Fair points.

Well, I’ve got my shinies (I bought the wings). Check out my pretty engi. Not seeing a lot of players with the wings yet.

Can see why people want ’em.

Attachments:

Posted by: Wethospu.6437

Wethospu.6437

I would say core issue is paying more than the whole game and getting nothing in return.

jheryn.8390

I would say core issue is paying more than the whole game and getting nothing in return.

I’m not trying to be rude, but if you don’t want to take the risk, don’t buy it. If you do take the risk, then you really shouldn’t complain. No one is forcing anyone to buy anything.

Posted by: Wethospu.6437

Wethospu.6437

Imagine if they had a system where you could support them and get something in return.

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

I hate cash shop rng and rng on items that are available for a limited time. I dont mind other things to be extremely time consuming (I think precursors okay right now) as long as it is cosmetics only. If you enjoy the game just keep playing and eventually you will have your legendary.

Posted by: Rooks Zaer.5846

Rooks Zaer.5846

Imagine if they had a system where you could support them and get something in return.

Don’t worry, they’re getting plenty of financial support from the gambling-addicts that are spending 8k gems trying to get a ticket. You certainly don’t have to feel like you should give them money…they’re getting plenty of it. If they weren’t, they would change their strategy.

jheryn.8390

Don’t worry, they’re getting plenty of financial support from the gambling-addicts that are spending 8k gems trying to get a ticket. You certainly don’t have to feel like you should give them money…they’re getting plenty of it. If they weren’t, they would change their strategy.

Absolutely. Well put.

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

So, why is everybody complaining about RNG? I honestly don’t care about skins, and if I get one by chance from Boxes that’s fine.

Only thing that bothers me a bit is the extremely low drop rate of keys for Black Lion Chests, since I would really like to get some Transmutation stones.

I’m actually not for a change and guess why. I opened my 40th box tonight the kind you get from the mobs not the store and I got a ticket. I love how these seem to be affected by MF, the moment I dawned my MF armor I got three pets and a ticket. It was nice. I also like how it falls off of everything they really did a good job this time. I like how you can get things in game, it’s why I play three other F2P mmos that do that because I can actually get what I like without having to spend a dime.

I hope their rewards system they are developing will be just as awesome.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Posted by: CreativeAnarchy.6324

CreativeAnarchy.6324

My complaint is the RNG in the gem store. Dyes, boxes, anything else RNG. I bought gems with real money so I would prefer to purchase the item that I so desire straight up instead of a item that gives me a chance at the object I desire. There is no guarentee that the item I want will appear in my inventory after using a RNG item even if I did purchase from the gem store. I could buy 1000 of those boxes and never get a ticket(technically that is probably a low chance of happening but it still can happen.) Just put the kitten item in the store and sell it to me without the stupid RNG.

If I want to play the RNG game, I’ll just play the game. I get plenty of RNG just playing the game. Stuff in the gem store though should offer some way for me the just purchase the item out right. I would purchase extra gems more often if they put the skins, dyes, etc that I specifically want.

I plan to purchase a few gems for the harvesting sickle and a few extra for the ax when it becomes availabe. I won’t be purchasing any extra gems beyond what I’ll need for those 2 items because I will not purchase any RNG items in the gem store.

I speak for my self and no one else. Only fools believe they speak for a majority.

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

The simple answer is that they did not get the item they wanted or feel as if they put too much into something to get an item.

The long answer is that they are use to non mmorpg games mainly GW1 where you got items fast and there was no problem with that because there was no in game economy for the game makers to keep active such as having a TP or AH system in the game. So if in an mmorpg with a economy system gets a high flow of items of a very wanted type then that high flow items and gold soon the system brakes down and is no longer use for everyday transaction it will still be used for major ones and the everyday ones will fall more into /m or /sh what ever the game has for a all chat to sell and buy goods comply removing the needs for a TP and or AH system.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

I’m actually not for a change and guess why. I opened my 40th box tonight the kind you get from the mobs not the store and I got a ticket. I love how these seem to be affected by MF, the moment I dawned my MF armor I got three pets and a ticket. It was nice. I also like how it falls off of everything they really did a good job this time. I like how you can get things in game, it’s why I play three other F2P mmos that do that because I can actually get what I like without having to spend a dime.

I hope their rewards system they are developing will be just as awesome.

Congrats on getting a ticket. Wearing MF gear is just a coincidence, though – I’ve opened hundreds of chests with and without MF gear and haven’t gotten one yet.

Posted by: Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

I’ve been adverse to the RNG for years. First game I played with one was PSO, and I hated it then. Spending days doing one mission over and over again because some 1/700 chance to drop just refused to do so. Second game after that was Runescape, where the rarer drops literally take months of no-lifing to afford, and were dropped in high risk areas that guaranteed you’d lose the drops you spend weeks grinding up for in the first place. Third game was PSU, which like it’s predecessor PSO would have things that cost so much money because obtaining it was impossible to do.

I liked what CoH did here in that, eventually, they provided a means of obtaining pretty much everything through alternate means instead of hoping for the RNG god to bless some player. And I think this should be the ultimate model for MMO’s: The RNG can bless you, but should it not bless you there is always a way in which a player can obtain something through hard work and perseverance that doesn’t involve buying it off of another lucky player. And lets be honest, the vast majority of players aren’t getting into RNG heaven.

And it is things like this make me really dislike the idea of rarely obtaining tickets from rarely obtained boxes that may or may not give them to you. The whole conversation just rings out like this in my head:

Me:“Ooh, that’s a cool new item there? How much is it?”
Anet:“You can’t buy it.”
Me: “So… is there something I can do to build up tokens that lets me purchase it?”
Anet:“I said you can’t buy it.”
Me: “So… how do you get it?”
Anet:“You need to get tickets from these boxes that can be exchanged for them”.
Me: “So do I always get a ticket from these boxes?”
Anet: “No.”
Me: “So are these boxes really easy to obtain?”
Me:“So… there’s no realistic chance that I’ll get these things no matter how hard I try?”
Anet:“Well, you could convert all your gold to gems or buy gems to buy these boxes?”
Me: “So… if I buy the boxes then I’ll definitely get one of these things?”
Anet:“No. Its limited time only, too, so you’d better buy them up quick or else you lose the chance to get them forever.”
Me: “:(”

Seriously. In every single event that’s happened so far, from Halloween to Southsun Cove (I’m in another state so I can’t play the dragon festival), I have received squat. No limited time recipes. No rare equipment or items. No elite skins. Nothing. Every event is just another occasion where the devs and lucky players get the opportunity to take some new shiny and awesome looking item and rub it in my face how I’ll never get one. Every upcoming event is just a list of awesome things I can never obtain, no matter how perfect for my character they would be.

So yes, after awhile people really do get sick of the RNG.

I don’t have opinions. I only have facts I can’t adequately prove.

(edited by Blood Red Arachnid.2493)

Jski.6180

I’ve been adverse to the RNG for years. First game I played with one was PSO, and I hated it then. Spending days doing one mission over and over again because some 1/700 chance to drop just refused to do so. Second game after that was Runescape, where the rarer drops literally take months of no-lifing to afford, and were dropped in high risk areas that guaranteed you’d lose the drops you spend weeks grinding up for in the first place. Third game was PSU, which like it’s predecessor PSO would have things that cost so much money because obtaining it was impossible to do.

I liked what CoH did here in that, eventually, they provided a means of obtaining pretty much everything through alternate means instead of hoping for the RNG god to bless some player. And I think this should be the ultimate model for MMO’s: The RNG can bless you, but should it not bless you there is always a way in which a player can obtain something through hard work and perseverance that doesn’t involve buying it off of another lucky player. And lets be honest, the vast majority of players aren’t getting into RNG heaven.

And it is things like this make me really dislike the idea of rarely obtaining tickets from rarely obtained boxes that may or may not give them to you. The whole conversation just rings out like this in my head:

Me:“Ooh, that’s a cool new item there? How much is it?”
Anet:“You can’t buy it.”
Me: “So… is there something I can do to build up tokens that lets me purchase it?”
Anet:“I said you can’t buy it.”
Me: “So… how do you get it?”
Anet:“You need to get tickets from these boxes that can be exchanged for them”.
Me: “So do I always get a ticket from these boxes?”
Me: “So are these boxes really easy to obtain?”
Me:“So… there’s no realistic chance that I’ll get these things no matter how hard I try?”
Anet:“Well, you could convert all your gold to gems or buy gems to buy these boxes?”
Me: “So… if I buy the boxes then I’ll definitely get one of these things?”
Anet:“No. Its limited time only, too, so you’d better buy them up quick or else you lose the chance to get them forever.”
Me: “:(”

Seriously. In every single event that’s happened so far, from Halloween to Southsun Cove (I’m in another state so I can’t play the dragon festival), I have received squat. No limited time recipes. No rare equipment or items. No elite skins. Nothing. Every event is just another occasion where the devs and lucky players get the opportunity to take some new shiny and awesome looking item and rub it in my face how I’ll never get one. Every upcoming event is just a list of awesome things I can never obtain, no matter how perfect for my character they would be.

So yes, after awhile people really do get sick of the RNG.

So you never got any of the back items? Did you not even do the story events because this is a game and not real life every thing you do for items IS pointless because its all .dat the only thing that has a point is how you feel about things mostly the story and what you get from doing that story with other ppl mind you IS the point.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Without RNG, games like MMOs become meaningless. Every MMOs has it in different forms. My objection isn’t RNG so much as cash for RNG, which is quite different.

Examples…in Guild Wars 1, I ran Bogroots Growth hundreds of times and never got a frog scepter from the end chest. That’s RNG.

You could do entire runs of the Underworld and Fissure of Woe and if you weren’t solo farming, you had a chance of getting no ectos and no obby shards (respectively).

Polar bear during the christmas event? Don’t make me laugh.

But I didn’t mind these because they made the items valuable (and because you could save for them and buy them from other players if you wanted to). But cash for RNG for account bound skins.

Sorry this is just bad.

Posted by: AlietteFaye.7316

AlietteFaye.7316

Wow. This whole thread seems really overcomplicated.
Here’s the short answer for a lot of players:
Players want new skins in the game that they can actively work towards. Not something that they can actively gamble towards with no guarantee of ever getting it. Especially not when it comes to real money.

twitch.tv/aliettefaye

Vayne.8563

Players want new skins in the game that they can actively work towards. Not something that they can actively gamble towards with no guarantee of ever getting it. Especially not when it comes to real money.

I agree.

CreativeAnarchy.6324

So you never got any of the back items? Did you not even do the story events because this is a game and not real life every thing you do for items IS pointless because its all .dat the only thing that has a point is how you feel about things mostly the story and what you get from doing that story with other ppl mind you IS the point.

That may be the point you do those things.

Some of us don’t give a kitten about the story. I dislike a lot of it in this game. I like WvW and only PvE to make gold and get the occasional skin that I have to rely on RNG instead of being able to just purchase from the gem store so I can skip doing all the crap story lines.

I speak for my self and no one else. Only fools believe they speak for a majority.

Jski.6180

That may be the point you do those things.

Some of us don’t give a kitten about the story. I dislike a lot of it in this game. I like WvW and only PvE to make gold and get the occasional skin that I have to rely on RNG instead of being able to just purchase from the gem store so I can skip doing all the crap story lines.

The thing is in this event the main one we are talking about has less RNG in the gem store and more outside of the gem store. This is HOW F2P games or B2P games work for an mmorpg.
Your letting past events cloud your judgment on what they are doing this time. If you could only get weapons from the gem store you have a point but that just not how it is in this event or do you think some how the events that passed would changes in some time travel event?
Any way your right not every one is about story that why there were back items lots of sub events and games there was also a new set of gear put out for your horizontal progression.
I am sry but at this point your coming off as the type who would say something about not getting enofe even if they gave you more you know being greedy.

CreativeAnarchy.6324

The thing is in this event the main one we are talking about has less RNG in the gem store and more outside of the gem store. This is HOW F2P games or B2P games work for an mmorpg.
Your letting past events cloud your judgment on what they are doing this time. If you could only get weapons from the gem store you have a point but that just not how it is in this event or do you think some how the events that passed would changes in some time travel event?
Any way your right not every one is about story that why there were back items lots of sub events and games there was also a new set of gear put out for your horizontal progression.
I am sry but at this point your coming off as the type who would say something about not getting enofe even if they gave you more you know being greedy.

No.

Thing is, I have no problem with the RNG in the game. I don’t mind that at all. If I want to play the RNG game, I’ll just play the game.

In the gem store, I dislike the RNG and would rather just buy the item out right, especially since I paid with real dollars.

Let me state this again.

I paid for gems with real money.

Real money.

REAL MONEY.

Just to make sure this is clear.

I pay for the gems with real money.

Not gold from in game.

R-E-A-L – - – - – M-O-N-E-Y.

If I purchase something with real money, I expect to not have to gamble unless I went to Las Vegas.

I’m not in Vegas.

I do not play this game in Vegas.

I do not live in Vegas.

I have never been to Vegas(not saying I wouldn’t like to go, just haven’t gone.)

I’m not here to gamble.

I’m here to buy with the gems that I acquired with real money.

Just to be clear, I paid for gems with real money.

I am sorry but you are coming off as the type who doesn’t care to understand at all. You should go back and check my previous post in this thread. If you did and you still stand by your answer, you are coming off at the type that doesn’t care to understand at all.

Posted by: Shadow Blade.1324

Shadow Blade.1324

Can’t please everyone. I personally see people with ticket weapons as avid supporters of the game. There’s not many and I thank them for doing what those cheapskates don’t.

i got a weapon ticket earlier today through random luck with 0 money spent to do so and the increasing likelihood of no money ever being spent in the future. in no way was i avidly supporting anet or their implementation of this system. are you seriously thanking me for getting lucky?

Dungeon Master is a pretty skill title. Decent rank in either sPVP or WvW points to the same. But lets be frank here.

not really, you can 4 man most dungeons, and people swap out at the last boss to get dungeon titles, it only proves youve seen the end of each dungeon, it doesn’t indicate whether you can do it without being carried or not, similarly wvw and spvp, only indicate you have done a lot of that content, you progress in both even when losing, you get more wvw exp for killing sentries or veterans in small events than players, you even get “ascendant” for 25 HOM points

There’s no excuse for not one-shotting every single boss…. Kholer is effectively more difficult than any boss in WoW.

off the top of my head kazzak in outland

He consumes the soul of all beings he slays to heal himself, casts a curse on players that makes their mana pools combust and if he isn’t killed in 3 minutes, goes into his “supreme mode,” allowing him to completely obliterate everything in his path.

as a world boss you had players from other guilds sacrificing themselves to heal him and thats just from your own faction, not even counting pvp servers where youd have enemy players who could take out your healers etc

anyway in response to OP people complain about rng as it disproportionately rewards some people through no merit, effort or in some cases desire on their part while others are not rewarded regardless of how much effort they put in.

take for example dungeon or world dragon chests its possible to get 5 blue items out of them through rng, having contributed equally to the fight you are rewarded substantially less than players who get 2 exotics and 3 rares for doing the same content at the same time

in other games with RNG this is mitigated by having minimum quality thresholds on mob drops ie dungeon bosses always drop “epics” at max level in wow, you may not get the one you want, but you are guaranteed it will be of a certain quality and you can vendor it or trade it or salvage it if applicable

i wish the devs had a consistent vision and didn’t push out content they know is flawed

Vayne.8563

On the title of dungeon master being skills or not skilled…there are plenty of titles in most games, or achievements that have little to do with individual skill if people cheat. You can be run through just about every instance in every game except for maybe one or two of the hardest…if even that.

People paid gold in Guild Wars 1 to be run through all sorts of places and content. Survivor was a great title, until Eye of the North came out, and you could get it easily by doing Kilroy over and over again. But some people do get it honestly and those people used skill to get it.

I understand. Some people are so uber nothing is a challenge. They have groups of uber friends who are just as great as they are, and they thumb their noses because they can solo everything in the game in 30 seconds.

But games aren’t made for those people and those people should know that by now. All you hear is the top tier people saying no challenge, everything is nerfed, content is meaningless. Not true.

Content is meaningless for that small percent of the population. Most of the Guild Wras 2 playerbase will NOT get the dungeon master title and for guys like me, it took quite a bit of effort. You may not find Arah’s path 1 and 4 challenging, but I did.

Don’t pooh pooh other’s accomplishments because you’re so high and mighty. It’s a lousy look.

Posted by: Fynda Uthis.7694

Fynda Uthis.7694

I wouldn’t mind the RNG if I could have all the time to get one Jade Weapon. Now I have 4-5 hours a week to play, which isn’t nearly enough, unless im terribly lucky, which I’m not. Of course every game had the RNG factor, which I think is a good thing. However they weren’t timed. That’s my problem. I want a Jade Pistol to my ‘skin set’, I’ve been looking for a pistol for a while now. However I can’t just get it in a month or two, no, I have to get it now or I’ll never get it.

Vayne is right, this was similar to the ecto farm in GW1. However there you had all the time you wanted, you weren’t told that ‘You have 1-2 weeks to get them, gl with the 0.001% chance’.

Posted by: pricer.5091

pricer.5091

And still, it’s only skins. Nothing obligatory to have, nothing to create so much hassle about as we can see at the forums. If they were linked to better stats then we would have a major issue to deal with. But cosmetics?

Because, my fine friend, skins is basically ALL this game has to offer once you have experienced the vacuous content hundreds of times already.

Posted by: pricer.5091

pricer.5091

Incidentally, I have no complaints about this particular event…they made the Jade weapons obtainable without spending cash. I have three so far.

Jski.6180

No.

Thing is, I have no problem with the RNG in the game. I don’t mind that at all. If I want to play the RNG game, I’ll just play the game.

In the gem store, I dislike the RNG and would rather just buy the item out right, especially since I paid with real dollars.

Let me state this again.

I paid for gems with real money.

Real money.

REAL MONEY.

Just to make sure this is clear.

I pay for the gems with real money.

Not gold from in game.

R-E-A-L – - – - – M-O-N-E-Y.

If I purchase something with real money, I expect to not have to gamble unless I went to Las Vegas.

I’m not in Vegas.

I do not play this game in Vegas.

I do not live in Vegas.

I have never been to Vegas(not saying I wouldn’t like to go, just haven’t gone.)

I’m not here to gamble.

I’m here to buy with the gems that I acquired with real money.

Just to be clear, I paid for gems with real money.

I am sorry but you are coming off as the type who doesn’t care to understand at all. You should go back and check my previous post in this thread. If you did and you still stand by your answer, you are coming off at the type that doesn’t care to understand at all.

That easy to fix stop spending money on the gem store for RNG like effects. You CAN get the items from the current event with out using the gem store you simply have no reason to complain for this event but your trying to use past complains to make it seem as if you have a point.
Truly only one event so far was gem store only F&F weapons every other event had weapons you could get by killing mobs one way or another mainly by DOING the event that month could get you most of the items from it. Just being able to sit back and blow gem / money to get everything from that even is simply wrong.

(edited by Jski.6180)

CreativeAnarchy.6324

That easy to fix stop spending money on the gem store for RNG like effects. You CAN get the items from the current event with out using the gem store you simply have no reason to complain for this event but your trying to use past complains to make it seem as if you have a point.
Truly only one event so far was gem store only F&F weapons every other event had weapons you could get by killing mobs one way or another mainly by DOING the event that month could get you most of the items from it. Just being able to sit back and blow gem / money to get everything from that even is simply wrong.

Duh on not spending money in the store. What a brilliant suggestion. Never in a million years would I have ever thought of that, oh wait, I said I wasn’t going to.

Really, do you read?

Seriously.

The point, you miss yet again, is I would like it if ANet would put the item in the store itself, without relying on RNG.

How dense do you have to be to keep missing what I’ve been trying to say. So far, your responses have first been calling me greedy, which I’m not, then you still think advise like not buying RNG items in the store is something worth posting.

Let’s look at your counter argument. Don’t buy something. Hey, easy enough.

You also blather on about events and killing stuff and how you think buying stuff from the gem store is wrong, and I’m not getting everything. Hey, everyone can do what they wish in the game, you do what you want, you don’t need to force me to play the game in your fashion.

You know what would be a good suggestion if you really want players to play the game and accomplish everything for such a item, put in a quest that will guarentee me a item I so desire. I don’t mind working for it, I dislike RNG though because I can spend weeks trying to get a skin and never getting it, I have accepted this is what game companies tend to do with loot. I don’t mind farming some but I don’t care to run the same thing over and over just to get something. It wasn’t a challange before, isn’t a challenge again, just give me what I’ve worked for at this point so I can go play a different aspect of the game that I would much rather partake in.

Let’s look at a suggestion I made in this thread. Put stuff that I want in the store without me relying on RNG. Hey, easy enough also.

Did you also notice that I’m not going to force you to play a certain way with my put the items in the store for out right purchase suggestion. You don’t even have to pay attention to the stuff in the store.

You can purchase that RNG stuff, maybe get the item cheaper than purchasing the item right out which is the route I would choose. ANet gets money for my gem purchase and it supports their work in developing such skins. Win-Win for everyone.

If someone wants to purchase vanity items in the store, there is nothing wrong with that, regardless of your opinion.

Here is my edit.

I bought a bunch of boxes with gold from the TP. Got my skin. I didn’t have to farm for them at all. I just sat back and bought some.

ANet could have made some gem money off of me if they had just put it in the store to begin with as a purchase now item instead of the RNG boxes they want to sell.

(edited by CreativeAnarchy.6324)

Posted by: Cloudwalkernz.1328

Cloudwalkernz.1328

It is not people hate RNG. It is the way Anet implemented it. There is nothing wrong with a bit of chance in our gaming to make it fun.

The problem is the odds of those cursed RNG box is hidden. If you go into a casino and gamble you at least know your odds of winning. With those boxes you have no ideas what yours odds of winning.

To make the matter worse, Anet often change the drop rate on the fly. So some people may be playing at a 50% drop rates and a few minutes late you find yourself playing at a 0.00005% chance!

That is so many ways Anet can make this both profitable and enjoyable for the players but it seems to me they took the lazy way out.

Jski.6180

Duh on not spending money in the store. What a brilliant suggestion. Never in a million years would I have ever thought of that, oh wait, I said I wasn’t going to.

Really, do you read?

Seriously.

The point, you miss yet again, is I would like it if ANet would put the item in the store itself, without relying on RNG.

How dense do you have to be to keep missing what I’ve been trying to say. So far, your responses have first been calling me greedy, which I’m not, then you still think advise like not buying RNG items in the store is something worth posting.

Let’s look at your counter argument. Don’t buy something. Hey, easy enough.

You also blather on about events and killing stuff and how you think buying stuff from the gem store is wrong, and I’m not getting everything. Hey, everyone can do what they wish in the game, you do what you want, you don’t need to force me to play the game in your fashion.

You know what would be a good suggestion if you really want players to play the game and accomplish everything for such a item, put in a quest that will guarentee me a item I so desire. I don’t mind working for it, I dislike RNG though because I can spend weeks trying to get a skin and never getting it, I have accepted this is what game companies tend to do with loot. I don’t mind farming some but I don’t care to run the same thing over and over just to get something. It wasn’t a challange before, isn’t a challenge again, just give me what I’ve worked for at this point so I can go play a different aspect of the game that I would much rather partake in.

Let’s look at a suggestion I made in this thread. Put stuff that I want in the store without me relying on RNG. Hey, easy enough also.

Did you also notice that I’m not going to force you to play a certain way with my put the items in the store for out right purchase suggestion. You don’t even have to pay attention to the stuff in the store.

You can purchase that RNG stuff, maybe get the item cheaper than purchasing the item right out which is the route I would choose. ANet gets money for my gem purchase and it supports their work in developing such skins. Win-Win for everyone.

If someone wants to purchase vanity items in the store, there is nothing wrong with that, regardless of your opinion.

Here is my edit.

I bought a bunch of boxes with gold from the TP. Got my skin. I didn’t have to farm for them at all. I just sat back and bought some.

ANet could have made some gem money off of me if they had just put it in the store to begin with as a purchase now item instead of the RNG boxes they want to sell.

I think you answered your own problem with RNG.

Astralporing.1957

I think you answered your own problem with RNG.

And yet, it didn’t solve the game’s RNG problem at all.

Actions, not words.

CreativeAnarchy.6324

I’ll state again, I’m used to RNG in the regular game loot.

My only problem is when I purchase gems to get somethig in the store and it only gives me a chance at something.

I do think RNG in game is a bit silly though. I’ve gotten 4 tickets and have opened only 7 stacks of 250 of the regular boxes while other players will open the same amount of boxes and not get any ticket at all.

Posted by: Paul.4081

Paul.4081

If you got infected by the low drop rate curse that many have been cursed with you’d think twice. I only pray you don’t and never get afflicted with it because it’s not fun.

I’m tired of Guildies pinging exotics and pre-cursors in chat while I get blues and greens. Maybe I’m being greedy because I’ve only been playing for almost a year

(edited by Paul.4081)

Posted by: Devata.6589

Devata.6589

I believe that nowadays everyone complains about RNG, just because they do. In this game is getting ridiculous epic proportions. Let’s look at some cases:

RNG needs to exist in games. As such, there are players who are favored and others that aren’t.

Yeah but with that RNG you can play the game (Doing dungeons, killing mobs) to eventually get your item. Here most of it is temporary so it’s now or never (at least thats the idea the marketing people wants you to get) and mostly it is more farmable. Here you need to get gold and then have enough gold before the temporary content gets deleted and then hope it drops. Or pay with cash.. but whats the fun about that? You play a game to play it. Overall people don’t want to farm for a currency to then buy something, they want to farm for the material and a currency as an extra option would then be nice but no need. See SAB and MF.

Posted by: Villious.8530

Villious.8530

I agree.

+2

Astralporing.1957

I agree.

Exactly.

Actions, not words.

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

I agree.

Exactly.

Totally Agree.

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

I agree.

Exactly.

Totally Agree.

I will second that.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

As regards to the expenditure of real money, I agree.

As regards to in game things such as the Dragon Coffers, I disagree. There is no significant difference between killing hundreds or thousands of monsters hoping that one of them will drop the sword you want, and killing hundreds or thousands of monsters hoping that one of them will drop the coffer containing the ticket you can use to buy the sword you want. In both cases you are, “working,” towards your goal

Posted by: Devata.6589

Devata.6589

As regards to the expenditure of real money, I agree.

As regards to in game things such as the Dragon Coffers, I disagree. There is no significant difference between killing hundreds or thousands of monsters hoping that one of them will drop the sword you want, and killing hundreds or thousands of monsters hoping that one of them will drop the coffer containing the ticket you can use to buy the sword you want. In both cases you are, “working,” towards your goal

Yes there is a big difference. To start with, people prefer to farm for the item itself. Secondly.. The changes here are so low in many other MMO’s thats only with a few very rare skins / mini’s. 3th it’s temporary so you get it now or you don’t get it 4th for many items it’s not even farmable.. the mobs dropping something are not all close so you can run a specific route farming it..

If we would take those 4 points and change it.. Let people farm directly for the skins, not for coffers / tickets, or money. Don’t make it temporary but keep it available so people can keep going for it. Make it farmable, so the mobs dropping it should be available and don’t overdo it. A few very rare items are great, many very rare items are not so good.

Posted by: Xenon.4537

Xenon.4537

Because of the real world economic crisis which translates to bad feelings in this game. In WoW and GW1 there was a whole lot of randomness involved too, but no one seemed to care as much as today. Farming UW ten times and not getting a single ecto, it happened. Not getting a BDS in dozens of runs was just fuel for the next run, just like the economy was booming at the time.

Currently the world is in a negative cycle, and that reflects on the overall attitude of gamers, regardless of whether they’re actually affected by crisis and/or RNG. The game isn’t noticeably different in RNG aspects from games where RNG wasn’t a problem. As soon as the economy picks up, RNG will no longer be an issue.

We try to stay positive around here. Right guys? ;D

No, but really RNG in the loot tables and Mystic Forge are one thing. RNG boxes every month instead of new meaningful content is a disaster for everyone, except NCSoft’s bank account of course.