Why is everyone discussing a level cap?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Rem.9627

Rem.9627

Q:

It makes more sense logically to NOT increase the level cap, but instead increase the TRAIT POINTS we can use.

Argument over I bet Anet has already thought of this and its the best model for both horizontal and vertical progression.

Pros:
Keep current tier of gear while continuing to progress character in strength via 2-4 more trait points (enough to max out another trait line).

Satisfies the need for character progression without the need for invalidation of ascended.

Allows for more traits to be put in the game so that even with the new options of existing builds, there’s more diversity and possibly a tier above grandmaster increasing the cap in every tree from 6->8.

Cons:
Possible outcry from the community at balancing (which i agree with) this has to be treated with finesse. But I feel it will be balanced either way automatically.

Some people might not like that they are not number (level) 100 or 90.

Possible LFG Elitism (Must have new trait points).

Discuss in a healthy manner please.

Thanks

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

People are discussing a level cap increase because that’s what most MMOs do when they release an expansion, so they’re assuming GW2 will as well.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Or add a new trait level beyond Grandmaster. There are plenty of ways the system can grow a character w/o adding a level cap. Level cap raising can work in MMO’s, but GW2 is very well set up for it to be largely redundant.

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

I DONT want new levels. I DO want new classes, new skills, new crafting professions, new Meta events, new zones, new WvW features,……

Rem.9627

Or add a new trait level beyond Grandmaster. There are plenty of ways the system can grow a character w/o adding a level cap. Level cap raising can work in MMO’s, but GW2 is very well set up for it to be largely redundant.

Already mentioned new tier above grandmaster in OP. But thanks for unconsciously agreeing.

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

It’s unlikely though given Guild Wars’ history with the level cap. But, yes, it’s something people are used to seeing when they think an expansion pack is coming.

Though, I did read a suggestion that we could get an increase of traits to use.

That would be awesome . . . if in danger of being overpowered.

Gone to Reddit.

Posted by: Sandpit.3467

Sandpit.3467

I don;t even know why we have levels. Pointless with scaling in the game, except where the scaling doesn’t work very well. They put 80 in to try and get the WoW crowd. IMO they should have removed levels altogether and just granted skill and trait points for doing content.

Rem.9627

It’s unlikely though given Guild Wars’ history with the level cap. But, yes, it’s something people are used to seeing when they think an expansion pack is coming.

Though, I did read a suggestion that we could get an increase of traits to use.

That would be awesome . . . if in danger of being overpowered.

Do people not read the OP? Yeah I agree, but it was stated in the OP. Also HI ARDENWOLFE

Posted by: niea.7504

niea.7504

I don’t know about a level cap increase, but maybe an increase in the number of trait points? Or maybe a new tier above grandmaster? Anyone thought of those?

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Because people think that we are getting an expansion and because Colin said, pre-launch, that Anet expected to raise the level cap eventually and that they would likely do it through an expansion.

Rem.9627

I don’t know about a level cap increase, but maybe an increase in the number of trait points? Or maybe a new tier above grandmaster? Anyone thought of those?

I have confirmed that people don’t read past the topic now. I wish people would read the OP, I have stated this BUT i will say I am glad people are in agreement with me. /o/

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Already mentioned new tier above grandmaster in OP. But thanks for unconsciously agreeing.

So you did! Well I am happy to share being a genius

(also this will teach me not to browse forums, play an MMO and watch the wrestling simultaneously…)

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Sadly WoW MMO mentality is that expansion means a level cap increase which means vertical progression of gear which means more raids to re-BIS yourself. That works great if you are charging players monthly (or a one time astronomical fee to skip to max) but here with are fairly flat 1 to 1 1/2 hr per level leveling curve once you out of the NPE phase not to mention F2P monthly makes no sense to do that here.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Rem.9627

So you did! Well I am happy to share being a genius

Genius high five o/!!!!!!! WOOOO!!!

Posted by: Azrael.4960

Azrael.4960

People think about what RPGs and MMOs have done in the past and figure it’ll happen in GW2 too.

GW1 was capped at 20 lvls through all the releases but more and more skills were released (much to the despair of the skill balancing team). Tbh though, even if Anet were to raise the level cap eventually to, say, 100. It wouldn’t be a big deal as long as mobs scaled up appropriately. That would of course require lvl100+ areas, dungeons, equipment, etc. From an equipment creation perspective, that’s not hard since all the stats conform to an equation anyway. The maps and dungeons would be where the core of the content will be anyway. I don’t see that happening in the upcoming release.

However, I could see this as a content update, especially since we had a feature update last September

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

Do people not read the OP? Yeah I agree, but it was stated in the OP. Also HI ARDENWOLFE

Um . . . I’m agreeing with your point. . . .

I thought you wanted this to be discussed in a healthy manner. Your responses, so far, aren’t exactly doing the same. . . .

Gone to Reddit.

(edited by Ardenwolfe.8590)

Rem.9627

Um . . . I’m agreeing with your point. . . .

I thought you wanted this to be discussed in a healthy manner. You responses, so far, aren’t exactly doing the same. . . .

I know, high fives for everyone o/!!!!! Also Hi again!

I hope u didn’t take it as me being rude, I wasnt meaning it to be I thought you didnt read the OP sorry for thinking that as text can be misleading.

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

Some people are discussing a level cap increase because Anet has talked about raising it on more than one occasion.

If done properly a level cap increase wouldn’t be a bad thing.

Quote from Mike O’Brien:
“we’ve always expected that we will someday raise the level cap in GW2”

Posted by: papry.8096

papry.8096

I don’t want a level increase.
This means gear grindmill and that I dissaprove: Ascended gear for example.
After I’m more open to new traits/new weapons/etc…

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

I do not want a level increase and indeed: I’d prefer if trait points were added.

It would allow for more powerfull builds and would remove the need to grind stuff other then new looks.

I do not mind if a legendary armor and/or legendary rings were released.
But give ’m both l80 ascended stats like legendaries and make the stats changeable.
It would allow us to play an actual expansion instead of grind maps and grind and grind to get all mains and alts up to a new level , needing new armor, new weapons and new trinkets.

It is wasted time. due to the level scaling you will not benefit when you go back to say ac or cof. It would only hold back people to play new content. And that is just not what you’d want from a cooperative game.

Gw1 got 3 expansions and all characters stayed lvl 20. I hope sincerely this game will follow in it’s footsteps and do the same.

I would guess Arenanet would not raise level caps and leave us lvl 80. You’ll become more powerful anyways when and if the levelcap was raised and a lot as well..

6/4/0/0/6 warrior anyone? think about it.

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

If done properly a level cap increase wouldn’t be a bad thing.

The only “properly done” level cap increase imo is the one where it is completely meaningless (so, no regearing, no power creep). In which case there’s no point to have one at all.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Someday.3650

Someday.3650

They only way Anet could increase the level cap is by making legendaries level with the player. Ascended, while it’s a pain in the kitten. can’t be compared to what it means to make and pay a legendary weapon.

Posted by: Aethgar.1784

Aethgar.1784

GW1 was a superb model. Let’s not see it become the travesty WoW was. (Your god-dropped legendary amazing unique item is now junk, please replace with someone’s butt-scratcher from the new high lvl zone)

Tarnished Coast| House Corvidae
Lord Ahrwit Valdyr/Isambard FitzValdyr/many more…

Posted by: Azhure.1857

Azhure.1857

Huh. Didn’t know if I ever discussed the level cap before. How strange.

Isle of Janthir Megaserver

Posted by: Gulesave.5073

Gulesave.5073

I’ve only seen a couple threads recently, aside from this one. And everyone after the OP in those threads always shouts NO.

I should be writing.

Posted by: Yumiko Ishida.3769

Yumiko Ishida.3769

I really want a larger trait point limit as there are builds I can do that are not in any way broken that could be done that way with 8 trait points per line or 6 in 3 of 5 lines.

Such as making engi actually useful and mobile in PvE/WvW without using speed boosters.

Yumiko Emi Ishida 80 Ele, Hikari Kyoko Ishida 80 Guard TC-NA. Active RPer of NA megaserver.