Why is it spelled "Zhaitan" when it is pronounced "Zaitan"

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Yitsul.8342

Yitsul.8342

very misleading spelling, a Zh sound is the s in words like treasure and pleasure. if the H modifier is not pronounced, it should be gone. Silent H does not make sense

Posted by: Cloud Windfoot Omega.7485

Cloud Windfoot Omega.7485

Z-hai-tan

i dont see the problem. jsut because some words use Zh as a S sound does not mean its always a S sound

Posted by: yumo.3754

yumo.3754

This is a Chinese Pinyin: Zhai Tan??

(edited by yumo.3754)

Posted by: LoreChief.8391

LoreChief.8391

I ready it as “Zai-Tan”, similar to Xin Zhao in League of Legends. “Zin Zow”! Am I getting them both wrong? O_o.

Posted by: Yitsul.8342

Yitsul.8342

a chinese Zh is exactly Ch and “Xin Zhao” would be pronounced “Shin Chao”

Posted by: Sindariel.2354

Sindariel.2354

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Zhaitan

“Trivia:
Shaitan is the Islamic name for Satan and the name used for Demons in Islam.”

Posted by: Doctor Ivo Robotnik.3879

Doctor Ivo Robotnik.3879

Why not call it Zartan?

G. I. Joe!!

Posted by: TheFailBus.1546

TheFailBus.1546

A silent h is pretty common in words, I really don’t see your issue.

Posted by: PainOfDemise.1680

PainOfDemise.1680

Well not all letters are always pronounced in words.

Rhynon Jarvick
Leader of Dastardly Deeds
http://dastardlydeeds.enjin.com/

Posted by: xLiveLucidx.5071

xLiveLucidx.5071

Why is “internet trolling” spelled the way it is when the act of baiting, luring and hooking is called “trawling?” ;-)

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

I am not aware of a single english word in which the letter combination “zh” signifies the sound you describe. also, written language and pronounciation are always somewhat arbitrary, even more so when it comes to individual names.

As for the unvoiced “h”: Khan, Ghana, honor…

Posted by: Bluebird.1890

Bluebird.1890

Why do they spell it herb if it is pronounced erb?

Posted by: Demitsuru.9361

Demitsuru.9361

as russian speaker i prounouce it like
http://translate.google.com.ua/?hl=uk&tab=wT#ru/en/%D0%B6%D0%B0%D0%B9%D1%82%D0%B0%D0%BD
copy paste it and press sound icon to hear sound

Posted by: Eochaidh.4106

Eochaidh.4106

It’s a fantasy game, it is only natural that we get foreign-sounding words.

Posted by: ShadowGryphon.6257

ShadowGryphon.6257

I love how the assumption from the first few posters is that the name is of “chinese” origin.

If someone is talking behind your back… Fart.
North Alabama Guild Wars Players
http://tinyurl.com/y9hj2h4b

Posted by: Tuco.2419

Tuco.2419

I think the arabic reference wins this thread.

The true losers are fantasy writers who go out of their way to make dumb names with silent letters.

Eochaidh.4106

I love how the assumption from the first few posters is that the name is of “chinese” origin.

It’s not an absurd assumption. “Zhaitan” seems to be the transliteration of valid Chinese phonemes.

Posted by: Aphix.9846

Aphix.9846

oh my god.

Some people and their problems.

I’m actually shocked at this topic.

?

Could be spelled Billybobbenjamin for all I care still pronounce it as zaitan…….

Posted by: Twaddlefish.6537

Twaddlefish.6537

It’s the Hebrew word for demons/Satan.

Posted by: andybmcc.8751

andybmcc.8751

The way everyone pronounces jotun has also been bothering me.

Eochaidh.4106

You expected it to be “yotun”?

Posted by: ShadowGryphon.6257

ShadowGryphon.6257

It’s not an absurd assumption. “Zhaitan” seems to be the transliteration of valid Chinese phonemes.

I said I love the assumption, I never said it was absurd.

You expected it to be “yotun”?

Yes, because it’s supposed to be pronounced “yotun”.

If someone is talking behind your back… Fart.
North Alabama Guild Wars Players
http://tinyurl.com/y9hj2h4b

(edited by ShadowGryphon.6257)

Posted by: ChaosKirin.1328

ChaosKirin.1328

Not only Hebrew. Other languages use a similar word for demons, like Swahili. Shaitani or Shetani means ‘Demon’ or ‘Spirit.’

Eochaidh.4106

Not only Hebrew. Other languages use a similar word for demons, like Swahili. Shaitani or Shetani means ‘Demon’ or ‘Spirit.’

It probably has the same semitic roots as the other variations though.

Posted by: RShara.3265

RShara.3265

Why is the h and s in chasm when it’s pronounced cazm? But we pronounce ch as in chocolate!
Why can Shawn be written Shawn, Shaun and Sean?
Where is the sense?
Blasphemies abound!
Edited by moderator: wrong format all caps

(edited by Moderator)

Eochaidh.4106

Why is the h and s in chasm when it’s pronounced cazm? But we pronounce ch as in chocolate!
Why can Shawn be written Shawn, Shaun and Sean?
WHERE IS THE SENSE?
BLASPHEMIES ABOUND!

They’re spoken as in their languages of origin. “S” has the sound of “sh” in Irish, “chasm” comes from Greek “khasma”.

Posted by: RShara.3265

RShara.3265

I know. I’m being facetious.

Eochaidh.4106

It is somewhat true though. English is quite a mess when it comes to pronounciation, and it not always obvious how to speak when it comes to certain words even because of the lack of accent marks. :| It’s especially annoying for non-native speakers.

Posted by: Krael.3476

Krael.3476

hmmm… because another evil dragon took Zaitan during the first minutes of launch?

Posted by: Brannoncyll.1978

Brannoncyll.1978

Speaking of poor pronunciation, in one of the dialogue scenes of my Silvari personal story, one of the NPC voice-actors pronounced the word ‘quay’ as ‘kway’ rather than the correct pronunciation ‘key’. It totally jarred me from my immersion in the story. If they are going to spend so much money on voice acting, the least they could do is check the pronunciation.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Why do they spell it herb if it is pronounced erb?

That said, if you want slient H’s you should go to Hammersmith. Or ‘Ammersmth’ as my dad likes to call it.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Algreg.3629

It’s the Hebrew word for demons/Satan.

you are aware that the outlandish sounding names and terms in this game may be inspired by real languages, but are not actually representing these languages? If you think otherwise, would you be so kind as to explain to me how semitic languages found their ways to Orr?

Algreg.3629

It is somewhat true though. English is quite a mess when it comes to pronounciation, and it not always obvious how to speak when it comes to certain words even because of the lack of accent marks. :| It’s especially annoying for non-native speakers.

english is comparatively easy in this regard. But every written language is “a mess” if I may use your term. There is no real connection between sign and sound, every language uses a different system of arbitrary representation.

Posted by: Phaze Delta One.2834

Phaze Delta One.2834

First world problems.

Eochaidh.4106

english is comparatively easy in this regard. But every written language is “a mess” if I may use your term. There is no real connection between sign and sound, every language uses a different system of arbitrary representation.

Not very true at all. I know Portuguese, Spanish and some German and pretty much everything is straight-forward read as it is written, unlike in English. Few exceptions are French-borrowed words in German, but it’s quite eaay to know how to pronounce nonetheless.

Eochaidh.4106

Speaking of poor pronunciation, in one of the dialogue scenes of my Silvari personal story, one of the NPC voice-actors pronounced the word ‘quay’ as ‘kway’ rather than the correct pronunciation ‘key’. It totally jarred me from my immersion in the story. If they are going to spend so much money on voice acting, the least they could do is check the pronunciation.

This is exactly what I am talking about. Why in the world would “quay” be pronounced as “key”? Why isn’t that implied on its written form?

Posted by: EyeSeeSound.1348

EyeSeeSound.1348

When English was invented someone in the acquisitions department bought too many ’h’s and as such ever since we have to slip silent ones in needlessly in order to eventually get rid of the excess and restore balance to the language and through that global peace and harmony.

Shame, but true.

Algreg.3629

Not very true at all. I know Portuguese, Spanish and some German and pretty much everything is straight-forward read as it is written, unlike in English. Few exceptions are French-borrowed words in German, but it’s quite eaay to know how to pronounce nonetheless.

No, letters represent arbitrary sounds. I am German myself and there is no metaphysical connection between the letter and the sound or rather sounds in different contexts in that language. I know what you mean, in e.g. German, context does not change the sound a letter represents as much as in english or “worse” french, but still the connection between the written system of signs and the sounds are arbitrary, but agreed upon by the collective. Trust me on this as a M.A. in philologies, this may sound really abstract, but it is basic linguistical knowledge (not trying to belittle your opinion in any way).

Posted by: Fiennes.9568

Fiennes.9568

oh my god.

Some people and their problems.

I’m actually shocked at this topic.

?

Could be spelled Billybobbenjamin for all I care still pronounce it as zaitan…….

I guess you are unable to tell the difference between a legitimate linguistic question and complaining.

Eochaidh.4106

No, letters represent arbitrary sounds. I am German myself and there is no metaphysical connection between the letter and the sound or rather sounds in different contexts in that language. I know what you mean, in e.g. German, context does not change the sound a letter represents as much as in english or “worse” french, but still the connection between the written system of signs and the sounds are arbitrary, but agreed upon by the collective. Trust me on this as a M.A. in philologies, this may sound really abstract, but it is basic linguistical knowledge (not trying to belittle your opinion in any way).

Yes, I understand that the written language is an arbitrary construction to make everything ‘roughly’ covered through the same rules previously agreed upon in order to have intelligible written communication. And it may indeed not be quite possible in some situations. It just seems like a sloppy work when I come to English (there seems to be more exceptions than rules) and get to words such as “quay”. Surely it may be something easy for people who live and breathe that language everyday to understand, but for foreigners to learn it is quite annoying.

My first point was, why can’t there be accentuation marks in English? Where in “police” is it implied that it must be pronounced as “poleeeeeece”? Surely it might be my own lack of knowledge on the language, and I really am no expert on linguistics, but the world would be a better place if they had something pointing out where the accentuation goes. It just seemed practically a lot easier to learn how to pronounce words in German than in English.

Then we have a gazillion words in which they can’t possibly expect everyone to be an expert on etymology to know how to pronounce.

(edited by Eochaidh.4106)

Posted by: Ceallach.8740

Ceallach.8740

I expected “jotun” to be “yotun” – but when my character said it differently, I wasn’t that bothered. It’s a video game and they don’t have to stick exactly to the “real world” words they are using for their own purposes.

Dropping "h"s ?! ’ello, wot ?

Algreg.3629

Yes, I understand that the written language is an arbitrary construction to make everything ‘roughly’ covered through the same rules previously agreed upon in order to have intelligible written communication. And it may indeed not be quite possible in some situations. It just seems like a sloppy work when I come to English (there seems to be more exceptions than rules) and get to words such as “quay”. Surely it may be something easy for people who live and breathe that language everyday to understand, but for foreigners to learn it is quite annoying.

My first point was, why can’t there be accentuation marks in English? Where in “police” is it implied that it must be pronounced as “poleeeeeece”? Surely it might be my own lack of knowledge on the language, and I really am no expert on linguistics, but the world would be a better place if they had something pointing out where the accentuation goes. It just seemed practically a lot easier to learn how to pronounce words in German than in English.

Then we have a gazillion words in which they can’t possibly expect everyone to be an expert on etymology to know how to pronounce.

Oh, I am with you there, if I had my way, we would just forget about the traditional alphabets and write in ipa (an international linguistic sign system that denotates the actual voiced sound). It is as easy to learn as the alphabets and much easier to use. But I doubt we will see that happen for generations, if ever Most weird pronounciations like “quay” usually have some historical component to them, that goes for the whole french language where at some point the development of written signs and voiced language divided a lot – things like that usually happen when authorities dictate a strict system for written language or “official language” while the spoken language follows the normal rules of organic development – but enough of this, have fun playing!

Eochaidh.4106

Oh, I am with you there, if I had my way, we would just forget about the traditional alphabets and write in ipa (an international linguistic sign system that denotates the actual voiced sound). It is as easy to learn as the alphabets and much easier to use. But I doubt we will see that happen for generations, if ever Most weird pronounciations like “quay” usually have some historical component to them, that goes for the whole french language where at some point the development of written signs and voiced language divided a lot – things like that usually happen when authorities dictate a strict system for written language or “official language” while the spoken language follows the normal rules of organic development – but enough of this, have fun playing!

Oh well, I guess I should stay away from French then! Thanks for the clarifications.

Posted by: Deacon.6249

Deacon.6249

I don’t (K)now

Slug Nugget, Asura Warrior, Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: Ceallach.8740

Ceallach.8740

I don’t (K)now

• I don’t (k)no(w).

Posted by: EyeSeeSound.1348

EyeSeeSound.1348

I LOVE THE INSANITY OF MY LANGUAGE. Though it is a bugger trying to explain it to my 6 year old nephews who is learning to read and write it. Sometimes you just have to say ‘well, that’s just the way it is’

Posted by: Fleshgrinder.6724

Fleshgrinder.6724

I pronounce the H.

It’s a soft “Hu” in the syllable Zi

Like Za-hai, but said as one syllable.

It’s also how many of the game’s voice actors say it, but that H sound is very subtle.

It’s like what, most of us actually do pronounce the H in what, it’s just a super soft pronunciation. Just the subtlest breeze of an H.

Posted by: CC Dalmarus.8397

CC Dalmarus.8397

Community Coordinator

Thanks for the discussion folks, but since this one has run its course, it’s time to close it.