Why is the Mac Client still Beta?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Lankybrit.4598

Lankybrit.4598

Hi,

I left the game over a year ago and came back recently. The Mac Client was Beta when I left, and is still Beta. How come? Betas don’t usually last more than a year

My Life in Tyria: http://lankygw2blog.blogspot.com/
Updated every Monday

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

Hi,

I left the game over a year ago and came back recently. The Mac Client was Beta when I left, and is still Beta. How come? Betas don’t usually last more than a year

Because they haven’t devoted any time or effort into developing the Mac Client.

Probably related to the low usage of the Mac Client not justifying the expense.

Server: Devona’s Rest

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

Last I heard it was pretty much abandoned. I know it took them like a week to fix an issue that caused 100% of mac users to crash within 5 minutes of log on…

I don’t think they are actively working on it anymore, but since it works for most people they are leaving it in beta so they don’t have to support it quickly if something goes wrong.

Posted by: Junkpile.7439

Junkpile.7439

Because mmorpg players don’t use mac?

Low quality trolling since launch
Seafarer’s Rest EotM grinch

Posted by: Chase.8415

Chase.8415

Last I heard it was pretty much abandoned. I know it took them like a week to fix an issue that caused 100% of mac users to crash within 5 minutes of log on…

I don’t think they are actively working on it anymore, but since it works for most people they are leaving it in beta so they don’t have to support it quickly if something goes wrong.

If they aren’t working on it anymore, then they wouldn’t have fixed the issue.

It’s a beta because it’s not an actual mac client. It’s a cider port, and that’s bound to have issues that can’t be resolved simply because of the fact its cider.

For all we know, they are working on an official mac client and they will release it and take it off Beta.

Posted by: Crise.9401

Crise.9401

Well LFG and Two Factor Authentication are both still in “beta” ArenaNet seems to have adopted the Google definition of beta (ie. gmail style, keep things in beta as long as humanly possible).

Posted by: Chase.8415

Chase.8415

Well LFG and Two Factor Authentication are both still in “beta” ArenaNet seems to have adopted the Google definition of beta (ie. gmail style, keep things in beta as long as humanly possible).

World of Warcraft had the Armory in beta for literally years until they re-integrated it to the website.

Posted by: Lankybrit.4598

Lankybrit.4598

Because mmorpg players don’t use mac?

Well, I do. I love it.

My Life in Tyria: http://lankygw2blog.blogspot.com/
Updated every Monday

Posted by: OmaiGodman.2098

OmaiGodman.2098

Google used to do this, when something’s officially a beta, the company is less likely to be held responsible when something goes wrong. Beta software is usually “use at your own risk”.

Any plan that involves dead quaggans is, by design, foolproof. I’m an unmitigated genius!