Why is the daily reward a BAG?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: dietzero.3514

dietzero.3514

Why not just the 3 spirit shards, instead of a bag we have to open containing 3 shards? It is really annoying having to zone out of PvP to open this.

Posted by: Ageia.5843

Ageia.5843

you can’t open bags in PvP? what a weird system… just saying. I’m not a PvP type so I had no idea. hopefully they do something so its not annoying anymore.

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

Yeah, that is quite annoying, now I have those bags spread among several toons, some day I’ll leave the lobby to open them all in one go.

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)

Posted by: Dark Saviour.9410

Dark Saviour.9410

Why is luck an item, rather than just a simple account addition (other than the few crafting uses that could be shifted elsewhere)?
Why is junk actually in the game when you could just get the equivalent copper/silver instead? (OK. I actually understand this one. It’s to force inventory-management and make people go back to a town/outpost. Can’t say I agree with it though.)

It’s a common trend, unfortunately. Loot bags, I get. Those are helpful as they preserve inventory, but there are a lot of unnecessary intermediates elsewhere.

Gone for good after Halloween 2Ø12.
A shame fun things could not simply be fun.

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

When we open loot bags, where do the actual bags go?

I mean, seems kind of a waste when they could be recycled or something.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Posted by: Wuselknusel.4082

Wuselknusel.4082

Because a bag is something you notice. If you would only get 3 spirit shards, you could easily overlook it and think that you didn’t get anything.

And if there is one thing ANet doesn’t want to do, then it’s confusing its (new) players. See NPE changes.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Yah, you get that bag if you complete your daily and if you are in PvP at the time you can’t open it. Why is that?

It’s not the only bag you can’t open there. I do key runs and one of the final rewards is a bag. I open it on a level 80 as there is a small chance for an exotic and if that level 80 picks it up from the bank while in the PvP lobby, it can’t open it there.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Pockets.3201

Pockets.3201

Same reason for any of the plethora of “loot” containers in the game. So you don’t miss what they try and pass off as rewards in this game.

(edited by Pockets.3201)

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

We get it in PvP, so it should be openable in PvP. Hopefully, they’ll change this in the near future.

dietzero.3514

Because a bag is something you notice. If you would only get 3 spirit shards, you could easily overlook it and think that you didn’t get anything.

And if there is one thing ANet doesn’t want to do, then it’s confusing its (new) players. See NPE changes.

Ha…

A bouncing chest with a 3 shard reward screen should be enough. But I guess not.

Posted by: nathanjameson.3542

nathanjameson.3542

Same reason for any of the plethora of “loot” containers in the game. So you don’t miss what they try and pass off as rewards in this game.

wrong. you never see the shards from champ chests you open

Karma Express – Norn Guardian commander

Posted by: Valento.9852

Valento.9852

Drop rate also looks crap so far.

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

Posted by: TwoGhosts.6790

TwoGhosts.6790

Psychology. People like opening wrapped up things; oddly even if they know what’s inside. It’s the same at Xmas and birthdays; the anticipation and activity of opening the wrapped gifts is often more pleasurable than actually what’s inside. Especially if you don’t know the contents… while it remains wrapped, it could still be amazing; the potential, the thrill of anticipation is the thing.

Posted by: Crise.9401

Crise.9401

I can probably tell you why there is sudden increase in bags.

Looking at the changes in Silverwastes and Dry Top event rewards it seems quite likely that their Bouncy Chest™ UI is not very flexible when it comes to extra currencies as they had to add all these “takes effect immediately upon receipt” bags for geodges and bandit crests (ie. the root cause is the item to currency conversion for most instances).

Why the spirit shard bag is “clickable” is difficult to say however. This is not to say ANet isn’t overly fond of bags and bags within bags, however, there seems to be an actual technical reason for some of these bags in this particular patch.

(edited by Crise.9401)

Posted by: Dark Saviour.9410

Dark Saviour.9410

I can probably tell you why there is sudden increase in bags.

Looking at the changes in Silverwastes and Dry Top even rewards it seems quite likely that their Bouncy Chest™ UI is not very flexible when it comes to extra currencies as they had to add all these “takes effect immediately upon receipt” bags for geodges and bandit crests (ie. the root cause is the item to currency conversion for most instances).

Why the spirit shard bag is “clickable” is difficult to say however.

Silverwastes is kind of weird in that if you just show up and do an event, when you click the chest you see a bag as a reward, yet when you click ‘OK’, it just deposits the crests directly, yet if you are at the point where you are getting bonus crests, you will see both a bag and a number of crests as the reward, and clicking OK puts the crests in your wallet and the bonus bag in your inventory (also annoying).

Gone for good after Halloween 2Ø12.
A shame fun things could not simply be fun.

Posted by: Crise.9401

Crise.9401

Silverwastes is kind of weird in that if you just show up and do an event, when you click the chest you see a bag as a reward, yet when you click ‘OK’, it just deposits the crests directly, yet if you are at the point where you are getting bonus crests, you will see both a bag and a number of crests as the reward, and clicking OK puts the crests in your wallet and the bonus bag in your inventory (also annoying).

Yeah, it is inconsistent as the daily spirit shard bag and the bonus bags you get after VW shows. If I had to guess they forgot about the bonus crests entirely and different people were probably responsible for daily rewards and Silverwastes rewards implementation when it comes to these changes. Although the unique art asset for the daily bag hints that we might start getting bags of spirit shards from different places in the future as well.

Posted by: Orangensaft.7139

Orangensaft.7139

i hope they fix that bag problem for pvp one day…

many bags actually can be opened
but others cant

seems like some bags have a sort of “consumable” tag and consumables are disabled in PvP…

also sad that the unbreakable choirbell cant be used because of that
or the snowball consumables…

pure fun items
no game advantage consumables… and yet we cant use them in Heart of the Mists

We Glitched Out Of All [MAPS]
26x lvl 80 Characters
Most fabulous Character: http://i.imgur.com/5JtcBI1.jpg?1

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

I’m all for streamlining rewards so they come in as few clicks as possible. They snuck in an encumbered status marker for when your bags are full. Hopefully that paves the way for an “open all bags” procedure where any excess is thrown into that hovering bag space that exists until you contend with all your crap.

(If that’s ineloquent, eh. Caffeine required. :P)

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

dietzero.3514

Fix please.

Posted by: Zahld.4956

Zahld.4956

it got caught in the infinite bag loop.

Posted by: muckshifter.9731

muckshifter.9731

you get a bag to make it easier for the Devs to change the loot

why you can’t open it is also an easy fix … you need the bag opener from the TP, only 800gems

Posted by: krixis.9538

krixis.9538

don’t worry guys. if all u do is pvp u don’t need whats inside the bag anyway

Desolation EU
Fractal lvl 80 – 126 AR

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

Because people love bags!
They add so much fun! So much tension from opening your lootbags! What will I get? Will it be green junk? Will it be blue junk? No one knows!

Seriously, stop it with the bags. This game is really, really RSI-inducing compared to other MMOs, as a result of giving everything in bags which are in bags which come from bags, and then having no “open all” or “use all”.

I would propose that every UI/usability dev should do the following, once a day:

• Do a full round of Silverwastes including Vinewrath and using Greater Nightmare keys on the chest (don’t have to do the main pacman run).
  • Go back to the east side of Silverwastes.
  • Open all bags, salvage, sell runes/sigils, open more bags, etkittenil you’ve processed the entire loot.
  • Vendor all the grey items (you will already have AHed or vendored sigils and runes or you would have run out of bag space).
  • Use all the MF-items.

And then have a stand-up meeting about this experience afterwards.

Do this once every day.

I reckon we’ll have either a use-all or a shift away from bags by day 3. Day 4 maybe if issues crop up during QA testing.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

Posted by: Mourningcry.9428

Mourningcry.9428

Because people love bags!
They add so much fun! So much tension from opening your lootbags! What will I get? Will it be green junk? Will it be blue junk? No one knows!

Seriously, stop it with the bags. This game is really, really RSI-inducing compared to other MMOs, as a result of giving everything in bags which are in bags which come from bags, and then having no “open all” or “use all”.

I would propose that every UI/usability dev should do the following, once a day:

• Do a full round of Silverwastes including Vinewrath and using Greater Nightmare keys on the chest (don’t have to do the main pacman run).
  • Go back to the east side of Silverwastes.
  • Open all bags, salvage, sell runes/sigils, open more bags, etkittenil you’ve processed the entire loot.
  • Vendor all the grey items (you will already have AHed or vendored sigils and runes or you would have run out of bag space).
  • Use all the MF-items.

And then have a stand-up meeting about this experience afterwards.

Do this once every day.

I reckon we’ll have either a use-all or a shift away from bags by day 3. Day 4 maybe if issues crop up during QA testing.

Or they would just nerf the SW drop rates. Careful what you ask for.

dietzero.3514

Well they changed it so we can open the bag in PvP. I guess they do listen sometimes.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Well they changed it so we can open the bag in PvP. I guess they do listen sometimes.

They listen all the time; they don’t always agree with us.

Also, in this case, it’s still 3 shards in a bag every day, instead of just 3 shards as the reward.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

I suspect someone in marketing read this “blind bags work because people have this small jolt of excitement when opening it”, and completely didn’t think things through afterwards.

Idiocracy-style.

So they now put everything into bags, and when confronted with players being frustrated with loot handling they look baffled, check their notepad (which just has one line on it, that “Loot should come from bags”), and well, put more stuff in bags! IT WORKS!

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

Posted by: Bubi.7942

Bubi.7942

While we are at it could we also do away with dungeon boss bags? As they ALWAYS contain 3 tokens and nothing else?

Or add loot. Or add 3 + random number tokens.