Why is the launcher for this game so bad?

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: PMoneyMobileRobot.4630

PMoneyMobileRobot.4630

I patched it this morning. Seriously you have to edit the exe path or switch to German just to download one little file. I’ve played straight up free to play games with better launchers and that is a sad sad fact. It’s like if your toaster got stuck right before the bread came out and all you are left with is an empty tummy. Cant spend money Anet if I don’t have a game to play. Fix your stuff. Rant over the end.

Posted by: Filaha.1678

Filaha.1678

I didn’t have to do any of that. Fix your computer. Rant over the end.

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

Are you still using Windows XP on an old computer? I have a Guildie that encountered a similar problem. It was ok after he bought a new computer and Windows 7.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

PMoneyMobileRobot.4630

The game runs like butter and I download on the lowend at like 7-8 mbps. I should have no issues but I do. I can repair it fix the exe line and it will still happen so please sing me the woes of your people

PMoneyMobileRobot.4630

Are you still using Windows XP on an old computer? I have a Guildie that encountered a similar problem. It was ok after he bought a new computer and Windows 7.

Windows 7 64 bit.

Posted by: Elegy.2159

Elegy.2159

Windows 7 64 bit.

Same here, and I had no issues, but I downloaded the patch about 6-7 hours before rollover. I don’t think it’s a problem with your computer or OS though. It seems like it’s a problem with Anet’s servers/connection timeout, since changing language seems to re-establish the lost connection.

eta: Didn’t realize you were talking about a different new patch. This one also downloaded fine for me, took about 10 seconds. Wish I knew why I have no issues and others have so many.

(edited by Elegy.2159)

PMoneyMobileRobot.4630

Windows 7 64 bit.

Same here, and I had no issues, but I downloaded the patch about 6-7 hours before rollover. I don’t think it’s a problem with your computer or OS though. It seems like it’s a problem with Anet’s servers/connection timeout, since changing language seems to re-establish the lost connection.

It is Anet’s problem. Now all it does is lose connection and I have to go into task manager just to get the launcher to close. About to give up and play something on Steam. I’m just upset because they have issues like this every update and they seem to not give one kitten when it comes to fixing it. I reinstalled this game after 2 years and the launcher issues 2 years ago are still issues now.

Posted by: ChipyGlitchy.6271

ChipyGlitchy.6271

It’s not? Seriously it’s one of the better patchers I’ve seen for an MMO, one of the nicer designed ones as well.

Posted by: Elegy.2159

Elegy.2159

It is Anet’s problem.

Sounds like it, but please put in a support ticket. :c At the very least it’ll alert them to your problem.

There are people (like me) who’ve had no problems, so there has to be something they can fix that can replicate my stress-free experience for you. I’d be frustrated too in your situation.

Posted by: Elden Arnaas.4870

Elden Arnaas.4870

PMoney, maybe you should post to the bugs forum, or put in a ticket and give details about the issue. There must be something usual about your PC, or your GW2 install.

Posted by: nGumball.1283

nGumball.1283

Windows 7 64 bit.

It is Anet’s problem. Now all it does is lose connection and I have to go into task manager just to get the launcher to close. About to give up and play something on Steam. I’m just upset because they have issues like this every update and they seem to not give one kitten when it comes to fixing it. I reinstalled this game after 2 years and the launcher issues 2 years ago are still issues now.

Why are you assuming that just because you having issues, all others does and it is ANet’s fault? Most people don’t have any issues whatsover. Sometimes the patcher gets overloaded at release-days in which case, the issue gets solved in a matter of 10 minutes.

PMoneyMobileRobot.4630

It’s not? Seriously it’s one of the better patchers I’ve seen for an MMO, one of the nicer designed ones as well.

I won’t argue the astetics of the launcher I to like the way it looks. That being said I can’t believe what you typed. Your full of kitten.

PMoneyMobileRobot.4630

Windows 7 64 bit.

Why are you assuming that just because you having issues, all others does and it is ANet’s fault? Most people don’t have any issues whatsover. Sometimes the patcher gets overloaded at release-days in which case, the issue gets solved in a matter of 10 minutes.

It’s all perspective good sir.

PMoneyMobileRobot.4630

PMoney, maybe you should post to the bugs forum, or put in a ticket and give details about the issue. There must be something usual about your PC, or your GW2 install.

My install was fine I was playing this morning. As for a bug report more people will see it here. It’s their launcher I’m not the only one with this issue.

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

Several folks I know were having issues. This solved it for them.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/2sgo3j/is_anyone_else_still_having_issues_with_the/

PMoneyMobileRobot.4630

Heck we could merge this thread with the 95(and counting) post strong connection thread.

PMoneyMobileRobot.4630

Several folks I know were having issues. This solved it for them.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/2sgo3j/is_anyone_else_still_having_issues_with_the/

Tried it still nothing thanks for an atempted though.

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

Windows 7 64 bit.

It’s all perspective good sir.

Then why are you perpetuating it when you know it could be false?

Why not urge ANet to research it more on their end while giving them as many details about your computer and ISP as you can.

And urging other players who have had issues to do the same.

Why perpetuate this blame game that’s not useful to either ANet or you who have issues as it relates to getting the issue fixed?

Posted by: cloudlessdante.3826

cloudlessdante.3826

still unable to get the new update launcher gets to 500kb and then connection errors

Posted by: JoshuaRAWR.4653

JoshuaRAWR.4653

I understand you’re having a problem and i know how frustrating it can be when you just want to play the game, but Guild wars 2’s launcher is by far the best Launcher i’ve ever used for an MMO.

Blizzards often has a majority of info on the launcher not load.
SoE’s launchers for every game they’ve ever made has been laggy, inconsistent and poorly designed, often making it very hard just to find the launcher options.

Anets is simplistic and works well, never had any problems with it personally, other than when my Firewall has been blocking it or during prime time when there’s a new patch released, and that’s just because of stress on the servers.

Warrior 80 | Guardian 80 | Ranger 80 | Engineer 80 |
Thief 80 | Elementalist 80 | Mesmer 80 | Necromancer 80 | Revenant TBA

Posted by: Ykfox.3825

Ykfox.3825

Only time I’ve ever had issues with logging in to GW2 is when it’s the fault of my ISP. I’ve been playing since the first BWE so I dunno.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

There were problems for some people with this patch. But it’s rare. Probably rarer than most MMOs.

Posted by: DusK.3849

DusK.3849

Something’s definitely up. It is kinda ridiculous that we need to hop through asset servers just to find one where we can download a few small files.

I’m sure they’ll fix it though.

Like rock and metal remixes of video game music? Check out my site and get your headbang on!
Also, check out Hardcore Adventure Box: World 1, World 2, Lost Sessions
Main Character: Dathius Eventide | Say “hi” to the Tribulation Clouds for me. :)

Posted by: rapthorne.7345

rapthorne.7345

my only issue with GW2’s launcher is it doesn’t tell us the size of patch downloads, never experienced any issues with it at all (except with the recent patch server blip for new LS client build)

Resident smug Englishman on the NA servers, just because.

Posted by: Feirlista Xv.1425

Feirlista Xv.1425

No problems here downloaded and installed the patch in less then 5 minute on both my PC and laptop everything is running as it should there could be several reason why some are having issues while others are not. I think one may be something you have installed on your system I run my gaming PC with very little installed and only run the game and teamspeak, so if this is a server side issue the shouldn’t it effect everyone

Opinions are like ______ everyone has one I could
put the correct term in but not everyone has kittens

Posted by: chemiclord.3978

chemiclord.3978

Whenever I have that problem, I actually switch to a different connection in range and then it works fine.

Posted by: Lindelle.3718

Lindelle.3718

My bf and I both had this problem after the patch today, this fixed it for us.

Lindelle Ulfsvitr – Norn Ranger
“Walk with the pack. In the eyes of Wolf, we are all brothers and sisters.”

Posted by: Blueskylightdragon.4876

Blueskylightdragon.4876

I got this problem and mine is windows 8.
Seriously something wrong must happen.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Here’s the thing. I’ve never had a problem with the launcher in over two years. Played pretty much every day. Even when they started using Coherent UI as their browser, didn’t have any problem converting over to it.

That said it appears that for some people, seems to be a lot of the same people, always have problems. Go scan your system for malware. Make sure you aren’t running multiple firewall/anti-virus products or other apps that hook themselves along the Windows network API. Don’t use an anonymizer/TOR/proxy because you want to use Hulu or BBC’s iPlayer but aren’t in the US or UK, when patching.

It’s not ANet’s fault if their downloader doesn’t work with all the accumulated cruft you have on your PC to “fix” networking problems you have dealt with over the years.

And for crying out loud work with their support, file a ticket, so they can learn why your setup is downloading 20GB when the rest of us downloaded around 1/2GB.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Hule.8794

Hule.8794

On my Windows 8.1 every patch I just need to start the game twice. First it will download all the files except one. Then I just restart the client, it will downlaod remaining file and I can play.

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

You could try using a VPN (people have recommended HotSpot Shield or CyberGhost VPN as free ones). Someone once found that the problem was caused by their ISP caching the data. You have to modify the request to get around that, which changing the language probably does, or you can simply wait for it to expire.

Posted by: knives.6132

knives.6132

I never had the problem and is actually using Windows 8.1… Have you tried turning it on and off again? LOL jk.
Check your router and/or DNS.

Posted by: RoRo.8270

RoRo.8270

Lol I’ve never had issues with the launcher and neither have I heard of other players complaining about it. I find it funny how the op gets so defensive about the issue

(edited by RoRo.8270)

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Lol I’ve never had issues with the launcher and neither have I heard of other players complaining about it. I find it funny how the op gets so defensive about the issue

You just need to look at the tech board just after any patch. There are numerous threads about download and patch problem threads every time. Of course I believe the vast majority of players it’s a non-issue.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: metaldude.4132

metaldude.4132

It’s a known bug, solved by changing into French or German.
prolly not of enough importance for Anet to fix

Sharpen your justice. Dust off resolve. Brace your courage. The Guardian dragonhunter approaches.

Posted by: OmaiGodman.2098

OmaiGodman.2098

Windows 7 64 bit.

If there really was a major issue with the launcher a lot more people would be having issues with it. They don’t. So it’s probably your Windows installation that’s causing issues. Maybe you should look into that first.

Any plan that involves dead quaggans is, by design, foolproof. I’m an unmitigated genius!

Posted by: abomally.2694

abomally.2694

Same here Feirlista Xv.1425. I never have any problems updating or playing. I remember it was the same with WoW. Every update with WoW some people had problems every time. I never had any problems updating WoW either. Yes, WoW did have server issues occasionally, but I’m not seeing that with GW2.

This problem is likely caused by software conflicts (background programs running) or internet/ISP/network problems on the user’s end.

Posted by: Vryzakis.4093

Vryzakis.4093

I got it too!!

I attempted to update it several times. The size of the last file I noticed go about 8000MB. It’s wired.

Sometime, I noticed the speed dropped to 0KB. However, after waited for couple minutes it become 2MB/s.

I am using the solution posted at reddit.com right now and hope it will be solved……

OS. Window 7 64bit.

By the way, does anyone know the actual size of this issued file? May be, I will be patient to watch the internet reach it eventually.

Update:
I tried to change the language to other. It still got problem at 99%

Attachments:

(edited by Vryzakis.4093)

Posted by: Feirlista Xv.1425

Feirlista Xv.1425

The problem whether you want to beleave it or not is the any PC game company can not test for the millions of different system combination out there so they don’t try anymore so if you want a trouble free game experience then you are going to have to get all the crap off you system I’m sorry to say this but any true gamer that commits to a game need a system free from junk software. My gameing system is just that my gaming system. I have 3 systems 2 PCs and a laptop. One is my gaming PC second is my web surfing and everything else PC and the third is my laptop. My first PC, my gaming PC I just have the game and teamspeak nothing else. I use Windows security essentials for antivirus more or less just in case but I don’t do any web stuff or downloading except for what’s is required for the game updates and driver updates also this PC is connect directly to my router with a Ethernet cable, no Wifi for gaming. The game even runs better with out the crap in the background so if you want to be a true PC gamer then game and get rid of the crap you don’t need get a second system for that, the best way to get your system fixed is to reformat a reinstall Window, all the drivers and the just the game I realy think this will fix 95 % of all the the game issues out there and with some of the Internet issues get off Wifi run a cable.

Opinions are like ______ everyone has one I could
put the correct term in but not everyone has kittens

Posted by: Klonko.8341

Klonko.8341

If I made it to play gw2 on linux you should be able to do it in window 7. I recommend a GOOD OLE FORMAT!

Raining Rainbows lvl 80 ranger ~~~~~ SBI server

Posted by: HykCraft.4610

HykCraft.4610

Same here — I’m stuck at 1 file left to download and it’s now up to 14GB already downloaded…

Sorrow’s Furnace US