Why is there a C/D on skills not activated?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Kaizer.7135

Kaizer.7135

I.E when I play my Ranger with LB and try to use the No.4 skill (or whatever number it is, the knockback skill), sometimes won’t activate due to lag. I think the server thinks I’m not facing the target due to quick turn, or does that happen to everyone? Anyway, when that happens, even though the skill wasn’t used I’ve got to wait like 3-4 seconds in order to use it again. This happens on some of my other toons as well (Mes and War)

It can get REALLY aggravating when this happens, and I’ve no idea why there is a c/d for it in the first place.

Posted by: Esplen.3940

Esplen.3940

You got disrupted or canceled it. There’s a cancelation time of 3-4 seconds so you can’t just abuse certain skills (+stats while doing X, +Y while doing Z).

Example: +400 Toughness while channeling a Mantra. I can constantly channel a Mantra and cancel to continue casting it for perma-400 toughness.

Block while casting X. I can cancel it and then re-cast it immediately for perma-block.

Kaizer.7135

You got disrupted or canceled it. There’s a cancelation time of 3-4 seconds so you can’t just abuse certain skills (+stats while doing X, +Y while doing Z).

Example: +400 Toughness while channeling a Mantra. I can constantly channel a Mantra and cancel to continue casting it for perma-400 toughness.

Block while casting X. I can cancel it and then re-cast it immediately for perma-block.

I think I’d know if I pressed Esc to cancel a skill cast since I knowingly do it to cancel attacks to use a heal. Also, this has happened to me many times in PvP, I know what it looks like when you get interrupted by a spell or skill. But when this happens to me the animation doesn’t even show and the skill is immediately on cooldown.

Posted by: The Boz.2038

The Boz.2038

Just another thing piled onto the stupid pile regarding the skill use in the game.

Posted by: Esplen.3940

Esplen.3940

Some skills get canceled upon moving.

Posted by: Chase.8415

Chase.8415

Just another thing piled onto the stupid pile regarding the skill use in the game.

RIght, because it doesn’t make sense for punishing people to spam skills without positioning properly.

Posted by: The Boz.2038

The Boz.2038

Consistency, dude. Before you respond, please take a good long look at how cooldowns behave when you try to cast something and you’re not facing a target, you have dropped the target, or you have been interrupted.

Kaizer.7135

RIght, because it doesn’t make sense for punishing people to spam skills without positioning properly.

Sorry probably should’ve been more clear, whilst this happens I am standing directly in line with the target when I do a quick 360 to prevent enemies from hitting me from behind. I press the skill as soon as I’m turned around but nothing happens and my skill is on c/d.

EDIT: Spelling, 2nd EDIT: Oh and btw, how is it spamming skills when the skills don’t even activate? That’s just clunky mechanics.

(edited by Kaizer.7135)

Kaizer.7135

Not this one.

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

Not this one.

If you are NOT facing your target by the time the skill finishes execution it will go on a short cooldown, same as when you were interrupted/dodged/dazed/whatever. If you face your target all the time, the skill will never go in cooldown.

Keep in mind that skills have a short activation time, especially longbow skills, the attack speed is slow. You are “safe” to turn around AFTER the arrow leaves the bow, if you turn 360 while pressing the button the attack will fail and failed attack = interrupted attack = cooldown.

What happens is that the skill is USED but since you are NOT facing your target it fails to connect. If the game was going to punich players for this it would’ve put the skills on FULL Cooldown, fortunalely that doesn’t happen.

Kaizer.7135

Not this one.

If you are NOT facing your target by the time the skill finishes execution it will go on a short cooldown, same as when you were interrupted/dodged/dazed/whatever. If you face your target all the time, the skill will never go in cooldown.

Keep in mind that skills have a short activation time, especially longbow skills, the attack speed is slow. You are “safe” to turn around AFTER the arrow leaves the bow, if you turn 360 while pressing the button the attack will fail and failed attack = interrupted attack = cooldown.

What happens is that the skill is USED but since you are NOT facing your target it fails to connect. If the game was going to punich players for this it would’ve put the skills on FULL Cooldown, fortunalely that doesn’t happen.

I used it AFTER turning around and am facing my target in quick succession. As I said before though, it’s probably lag. Wouldn’t be surprising since sometimes I’m playing with 2-3sec delay.

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

Sounds like the game did not realize you were facing the enemy. As an engi I have this problem often when enemies run right in front of me to just beyond my line of sight or behind me. It’s annoying but it happens….

Another thing I find annoying is there is an option for us in settings to turn on/off running through mobs yet none to stop them running through us – which is what causes this issue for me most of the time.

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?