Why is there a condition cap anyways?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Joshua.9346

Joshua.9346

I mean, atleast if there were one, why not make it per individual basis (IE One guy could apply 10 stacks of bleed, the other 10 stacks of bleed, another guy 10 stacks of bleed, etc).

The condition cap just seems arbitrary. I don’t think condition builds will ever truely be able to compete with power builds in PvE otherwise.

Posted by: Meglobob.8620

Meglobob.8620

Its a technical problem, that is how much the GW2 engine can cope with, very, very hard to get around apparently…

If they raised it higher most players would be unable to play GW2 fullstop…

Posted by: Lévis.5489

Lévis.5489

It was something about server bandwith. Each times a condition is applied, it goes from the client to the server to the client, again.

Posted by: Joshua.9346

Joshua.9346

Wow. I was expecting some great balance related issue. That’s……. dumb.

Posted by: Tradewind.6913

Tradewind.6913

The bandwidth concern was only 1 of 2 reasons. Balance was the first.

Posted by: Grok Krog.9581

Grok Krog.9581

I wonder if when they move condition stacks like bleeding into one big number, if they’ll be able to remove the cap?

Seems like if they do that people can stack bleeds and it will just keep adding to how much damage they do every second. Would be nice

Grok Walking Amongst Mere Mortals

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

I wonder if when they move condition stacks like bleeding into one big number, if they’ll be able to remove the cap?

Seems like if they do that people can stack bleeds and it will just keep adding to how much damage they do every second. Would be nice

Would be kinda like channeled/multihit skills. Sounds like a good idea but I guess it’s not that simple.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: dekou.6012

dekou.6012

What I don’t understand about the server bandwidth explanation is that 10 people can apply 100 bleed stacks on ten different monsters, but can’t apply 100 bleed stacks on one monster. Calculations wise, it’s the same thing.

Posted by: Umut.5471

Umut.5471

I don’t think it’s because of balance. This way berserker builds get the loot when condition builds just struggle to deal a condition. If it was about balance there would be physical direct damage limit too. I think it’s because of the game’s condition bandwith system. It must be rewritten from head to toe.
Every player must have his own 25 stack condition space to deal damage freely.

Posted by: Reymis.2158

Reymis.2158

Its balance to a degree as well. Take the current condition heavy meta at the moment. Now instead of on 2 necros stacking stuff on you to 25 they can put 50 stacks total. Can you imagine the backlash that would bring. Everyone would run conditions then because no removal in Tyria could shed them quick enough to make a dent.

Posted by: dekou.6012

dekou.6012

They don’t have to remove the cap in PvP or WvW or conditions like Vulnerability. Just the Bleed cap from PvE mobs.

Umut.5471

Its balance to a degree as well. Take the current condition heavy meta at the moment. Now instead of on 2 necros stacking stuff on you to 25 they can put 50 stacks total. Can you imagine the backlash that would bring. Everyone would run conditions then because no removal in Tyria could shed them quick enough to make a dent.

Well, If it’s a balance why I can deal huge 30k damage(gs hb) to champions/bosses with my zerker build warrior with one skill?
2 zerk warrior can deal much more damage in much shorter time-span. And its currently available. If we had seperate 25 stack limits, condition builds would be able to be used as an alternative to berserk damage builds with low dps/high damage over time.
This issue is just obligating players to play as berserker only in pve. I’m talking about pve, not about pk/pvp areas btw.

(edited by Umut.5471)

Umut.5471

They don’t have to remove the cap in PvP or WvW or conditions like Vulnerability. Just the Bleed cap from PvE mobs.

Yeah, passive debuff conditions should stay at 25 stacks, but obviously damaging conditions need seperate stacks per player in pve.

Posted by: Spiral Architect.6540

Spiral Architect.6540

At one time, they said they were working on the issue. Then, they came out with another statement that said the opposite, that they weren’t working on it, and that it was too difficult and complicated. There have been lots of suggestions from players on how to address the condition cap, some good, some not so good. But all suggestions have been ignored.

Moral of the story? Don’t play condition builds outside of solo play. It’s a shame, really, because other games have all kinds of good condition damage mechanics, even in groups. Just not GW2.