Why is there crafting exclusive stats combos?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Viralseed.9362

Viralseed.9362

It’s been a while since I’ve played Guild Wars 2. The last stat combination I recall being added was Sentinel. While Sentinel armor is primarily acquired through crafting, each piece can still be traded though the auction house. Now after returning, I’ve noticed new stat combinations: Celestial, Nomad, Sinister, and Zealot. All four combinations can only be obtained through crafting.

Yes, crafting is available for everyone. Yes, everyone can learn (and master) all crafting professions. So, why is crafting mandatory to have access to elements which directly affect gameplay? Unlike other stat combinations, these four cannot be purchased from other players. I don’t have a problem purchasing equipment from other players; it’s how I’ve acquired most of my equipment on three level 80 characters. Even Legendary Weapons, items which require a lot of time and investment, can be purchased. And yet, players who have the time and desire to craft have access to equipment which offer stat combinations other players cannot acquire.

I do not have interest in crafting much like players may not have interest in PvE, PvP, or WvW. However, I feel required to spend time mastering Armorsmith, Weaponsmith, Artificer, and Jeweler just to have access to four exclusive stat combinations.

Posted by: heartless.6803

heartless.6803

Those stats were new stats added fairly recently. They were added only to crafting to give it something to offer.

Reality of those stats, they’re all kinda sucky. Celestial is a pvp thing, and nomad is a wvw thing, and sinister isn’t really good for anyone but kinda thief and zealot I haven’t a clue who uses.

Disclaimer: Under no circumstance should you take this seriously.

Posted by: Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Zealot is pretty good on some builds on each profession. Best for WvW, though.

Sinister is pretty good for Necro and Engineer as well. Really any condition build.

Dragonbrand |Drarnor Kunoram: Charr Necro
http://www.twitch.tv/reverse830
I’m a Geeleiver

Posted by: heartless.6803

heartless.6803

Zealot is pretty good on some builds on each profession. Best for WvW, though.

Sinister is pretty good for Necro and Engineer as well. Really any condition build.

Problem with sinister is the same problem with any condi build. Sure necro’s and engi’s and thieves can make it work pretty good, but it isn’t as good as zerker. No matter what gear you’re in there is a power build better in zerker.

Except pvp, that crap is gonna be all into the condi builds.

Disclaimer: Under no circumstance should you take this seriously.

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

I However, I feel required to spend time mastering Armorsmith, Weaponsmith, Artificer, and Jeweler just to have access to four exclusive stat combinations.

I can answer your question by asking one of my own: Why is Gift of Exploration an exclusive reward for those who complete 100% of their map?

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Posted by: Viralseed.9362

Viralseed.9362

I can answer your question by asking one of my own: Why is Gift of Exploration an exclusive reward for those who complete 100% of their map?

And for what is Gift of Exploration used? One item: Gift of Mastery. An item used to make a Legendary weapon which is available for trade in the auction house. Players aren’t required to explore 100% of the map to earn a Legendary weapon anymore. Players can simply purchase the end result from another player. Why should equipment with unique stat combinations be any different?

Posted by: Sizer.5632

Sizer.5632

If it helps you can get cele jewelery from laurels, and there are some exotic cele weapons on the ah, plus you can pick it on a legendary (and thats all you need really for a cele build, people dont run it on every piece because you lose too much power). You also get sinister and nomad jewelery from LS achieves and pick them on legendary weapons

But still if you want armor in every stats youll just have to suck it up and spend a whole 30 minutes leveling crafting. Seriously with the time it took to post this youd be halfway to 400 already

Borolis Pass – [TOVL]
Aeneaaa – 80 engineer
Aeeneaa – 80 Ele

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

If you want to sell them, then just make exotics

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Too encourage crafting silly.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Magnnus.5169

Magnnus.5169

I think crafting is a way for ANet to have more control over your item acquisition, instead of just RNG or using gold.

Smooth Penguin.5294

And for what is Gift of Exploration used? One item: Gift of Mastery. An item used to make a Legendary weapon which is available for trade in the auction house. Players aren’t required to explore 100% of the map to earn a Legendary weapon anymore. Players can simply purchase the end result from another player. Why should equipment with unique stat combinations be any different?

Players can’t make a Legendary to sell without first getting the unique, account bound reward. Someone has to first get the Gift of Exploration from 100% map completion.

Let me ask you another question: Why are Fractal weapons an exclusive reward for only those who run Fractals?

Posted by: felessan.9587

felessan.9587

Those stats were new stats added fairly recently. They were added only to crafting to give it something to offer.

They were added to crafting and made account bound to force people to play the new content. If you didn’t play it, you couldn’t get the stat combo. I doubt it was anything more than that.

Posted by: Forgotten Legend.9281

Forgotten Legend.9281

sigh, here we go again…

fractal rewards for fractals are different than the new stat combos being treated differently than the old stat combos… why? fractal skins are skins. they don’t affect balance.

limiting 4 stat combos at exotic rarity (t6) to only a single method of acquisition makes it more difficult to experiment with different builds, which is the opposite of ANET’s intention of wanting us to experiment with different builds.

why should i spend 2 months crafting a full set of celestial or sinister armour and trinketts and weapons when i can spend 5-10 minutes crafting full berserker gear? (presuming i’ve already levelled all crafting professions to 400)

and how am i supposed to be able to experiment with celestial / sinister stats if i have to wait 2 months to be able to equip the full set? especially when i can obtain the launch stats practically instantly.

this disparity in the same tier of gear severely discourages experimenting with different stats. in this case, ANET is is own worst enemy.

simple solutions:

1) make charged quartz crystals tradeable
2) add nomad’s / celestial / zealot’s / sinister gear to the loot tables
3) add nomad’s / celestial / zealot’s / sinister recipes to the master crafter NPC’s
4) add nomad’s / celestial / zealot’s / sinister gear to WvW vendors
5) add nomad’s / celestial / zealot’s / sinister gear to karma vendors
6) add nomad’s / celestial / zealot’s / sinister gear to dungeon vendors
7) make nomad’s / celestial / zealot’s / sinister gear tradeable on the trading post
8) add more permanent ways of obtaining the unique components (such as watchwork sprockets) to the game to offset the obscene material requirements (such as needing 500 sprockets per insignia / inscription) or reduce the material requirements (such kitten sprockets per insignia / inscription)

PS: this is from a fella whose addiction to GW2 is exceeded only by his addiction to bacon.

– The Baconnaire

Posted by: gaspara.4079

gaspara.4079

Your going to be even more unhappy when you realize the only way to get ascended armor of a particular stat combination is through crafting it yourself.

Smooth Penguin.5294

Reward is an Reward. There’ll always be someone who wants something without effort. I want a complete Fractal skin set, but I’m bored of doing Fractal runs, so it affects my balance quite severely.

As for Nomad’s gear, it’s already sold as a recipe. The materials you need are all farmable or purchasable on the TP. There’s nothing stopping you from making one. As for Celestial gear, yes that would take you longer to craft, but that’s the price you pay for something you desire. Put in the time and effort, and the game gives you satisfaction.

Side note – Watchwork Sprockets and Mechanisms are on the TP too. So everything is ok.