Why is there no locking mechanic on our bank?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: aceboogie.4031

aceboogie.4031

Cant you add an optional “add password” to open bank?

Posted by: eleshazar.6902

eleshazar.6902

Cant you add an optional “add password” to open bank?

It is already there. If you go to your desktop and click on the Guild Wars 2 icon, you get this popup which asks for a password to access your bank.

All professions level 80| Champion Paragon, Phantom, Genius
Phoenix Ascendant [ASH] | Rank 80

Posted by: anzenketh.3759

anzenketh.3759

There is it is called your account password. If that password gets compromised you have further problems then just your bank. Especially if you use email authentication.

Please read the following:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/account/Account-Security-What-you-need-to-know/

In Game: Storm Bluff Isle — Anzz, Anzenketh Kyoto

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

Also, if you share your account with another player then you breaking the ToC of the game already, so if something goes wrong you can’t use the support, if you don’t share then you have no problem because only you can access your account and in case of hacking the support is able to rollback your stuff.

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)

Posted by: aceboogie.4031

aceboogie.4031

wow wee guys, gosh i didn’t know any of that, your comments were super useful at being useless.

And i would never share my account, but seeing as if someone gets hacked, their ip is usually from a different country which shouldnt be allowed either. You would think that tiny extra layer would be great

Posted by: Azhure.1857

Azhure.1857

Like putting a safe inside a safe inside a vault. Mkay.

Isle of Janthir Megaserver

Posted by: anzenketh.3759

anzenketh.3759

wow wee guys, gosh i didn’t know any of that, your comments were super useful at being useless.

And i would never share my account, but seeing as if someone gets hacked, their ip is usually from a different country which shouldnt be allowed either. You would think that tiny extra layer would be great

That extra layer is already in place.

https://help.guildwars2.com/entries/28147576-E-mail-Authentication

They have two factor authentication too:
https://help.guildwars2.com/entries/27626157-Two-Factor-Authentication

In Game: Storm Bluff Isle — Anzz, Anzenketh Kyoto

(edited by anzenketh.3759)

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

If you get hacked, that’s because your email was compromised. Fix that before you complain about “the lack of security” in a game that requires email authentication of all “foreign” login attempts, and offers a 2-step authentication with means outside of email.

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

Ok mister wiseguy. What exactly is the purpose of password protecting a thing that only one person has access to? Who are you protecting it from? Yourself?

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Posted by: Gibson.4036

Gibson.4036

Ok mister wiseguy. What exactly is the purpose of password protecting a thing that only one person has access to? Who are you protecting it from? Yourself?

It’ for when the syrum kicks in. Mr. Hyde likes to spend all of my money on Norn Ale and Quaggan call girls.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

I have no idea why you guys are being so dismissive of this idea. I’ve seen a number of threads where people claim to have perfect security, no possibility of being hacked, and yet they were. While everyone should have the email or 2 factor authenification, not everyone will. The game has the auto log in feature which allows the possibility of someone getting into an unattended computer, as well as situations where someone has to abruptly leave the computer. Such as one situation where a man was playing and he heard his pregnant wife cry out. He jumped up and left the computer running unattended to go to her and while he was gone his young son got into the account.

An extra layer of optional security that locks people out of your bank and possibly your personal guild bank, why is this an idea that needs to be readily dismissed?

Posted by: Enzo.3906

Enzo.3906

You think that is going to help you?

If your email got hacked and they got to your account, what is stopping them from hacking into your bank?

There most certainly would be a way reset a bank password, and they would hack their way past that too.

JQ Spy working for Blackgate Karma Train Division

Posted by: Invictus.1503

Invictus.1503

I have no idea why you guys are being so dismissive of this idea. I’ve seen a number of threads where people claim to have perfect security, no possibility of being hacked, and yet they were. While everyone should have the email or 2 factor authenification, not everyone will. The game has the auto log in feature which allows the possibility of someone getting into an unattended computer, as well as situations where someone has to abruptly leave the computer. Such as one situation where a man was playing and he heard his pregnant wife cry out. He jumped up and left the computer running unattended to go to her and while he was gone his young son got into the account.

An extra layer of optional security that locks people out of your bank and possibly your personal guild bank, why is this an idea that needs to be readily dismissed?

It is just too much for way too circumstantial situations. Under that logic why don’t we have the option to type a password in to start our car after already putting the key into the ignition in order to release the break, for the same or similar reasons as you list above.

The point is that doing such a thing ends up causing more problems with people setting it up, forgetting their password, getting locked out and creating tickets (thus creating manpower to fix user error) to get it solved. Also cause legit issues of the system corrupting passwords and having to be fixed (more manpower to fix). In the end, it causes many more problems than it solves because the only problems it potentially solves are extremely situational. It is a form of risk management.

It’s better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

You think that is going to help you?

If your email got hacked and they got to your account, what is stopping them from hacking into your bank?

There most certainly would be a way reset a bank password, and they would hack their way past that too.

They wouldn’t even need to hack, since it would have to be (by necessity) email based, and they would already have access there.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Azhure.1857

Azhure.1857

It is just too much for way too circumstantial situations. Under that logic why don’t we have the option to type a password in to start our car after already putting the key into the ignition in order to release the break, for the same or similar reasons as you list above.

The point is that doing such a thing ends up causing more problems with people setting it up, forgetting their password, getting locked out and creating tickets (thus creating manpower to fix user error) to get it solved. Also cause legit issues of the system corrupting passwords and having to be fixed (more manpower to fix). In the end, it causes many more problems than it solves because the only problems it potentially solves are extremely situational. It is a form of risk management.

+1

There comes a point where we need to take responsibility for the security of our accounts, not just slapping layer after layer of additional security down.

Isle of Janthir Megaserver

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

I wonder what the password one would choose for this hypothetical bank lock would be, anyway. One’s GW2 password?

70% likely, by phantom estimation. If the account already got hacked, the invader would just guess the same password and get into the bank anyway.

Plus what Invictus identified. It’s just not good use of manpower.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

It’s almost the the TSA appraoch to security. One or two people do somethig stupid, and they go so far overboard we now have to have xrays, body cavity searchs, and strip searches for having a water bottle with more than 3 oz. when going through security. It doesn’t make sense, and it a waste of time, money and other resources. An additional password, in game, would not only cause many other issues, as stated before, but be a HUGE immersion breaker and an annoyance. I need to check my bank to see how many of a certain item I have stored there, but wait, I now have to enter a password, wait for authentication, do a retenal scan, and kitten in a cup just to see I have 18 stacks of bloodstone dust. No. Just no.

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”