Why laurels and ectos?

Why laurels and ectos?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Quon Star.4678

Quon Star.4678

The laurel vender and guild commendation trader both have new rewards today thanks to the update, but the rewards require ectos + laurels and commendations + gold. My question is why do these new rewards also require ectos + gold and not just laurels or commendations? Thanks!

Why laurels and ectos?

Posted by: Rozbuska.5263

Rozbuska.5263

Because devs want learn players how to dodge on dailies

Tekkit Mojo – Engineer
Tekkit’s Workshop

Why laurels and ectos?

Posted by: GummiBear.2756

GummiBear.2756

ehmm taht makes no sense…

Furthermore why does the accessories cost the MOST when they have the LEAST amount of stats, where amulet with the most stats cost the least? seems kinda backward to me…

Why laurels and ectos?

Posted by: Gallrvaghn.4921

Gallrvaghn.4921

Because they love inflation.

“The boss you just killed respawns ten minutes
later. It doesn’t care that I’m there.”

Why laurels and ectos?

Posted by: MattCoy.3098

MattCoy.3098

Couldn’t say better myself – nice

Why laurels and ectos?

Posted by: Quon Star.4678

Quon Star.4678

Yeah its really lame…
I want to be able to get the new gear in FotM. What is the point of being on lvl 48 if you only get rings.

Why laurels and ectos?

Posted by: Feed Me Change.6528

Feed Me Change.6528

“These items are mainly earned through guild content, we included them on the laurels vendor to give players the opportunity to earn them if they are not in a guild but they are priced high to encourage players to try and accomplish them via the guild content.”

Red post..

NSP>ET>SoS>BG>ET>SoS>JQ>SoS>Mag>JQ
My fun laughs at your server pride.

Why laurels and ectos?

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

Because they nudge you towards Guild Activities, while the laurels are an alternative for solo players.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Why laurels and ectos?

Posted by: Hammerguard.9834

Hammerguard.9834

I hope this is sarcasm…

… I still want tengu.

Why laurels and ectos?

Posted by: Ganon.3726

Ganon.3726

I think an answer he may be searching for is more of towards the question “Whys is the price to obtain these items so much?”

I also agree with the OP. I believe its a bit ridiculous that the game is having us first farm days/months of achievements then also have to farm rares to get the ascended gear. I am well aware that the game later will introduce laurels will be achievable from achievements, but currently as is, spending such a high amount of laurels for the trinket that rewards the least stats is a tad outrageous

Why laurels and ectos?

Posted by: FateOmega.9601

FateOmega.9601

Rings are easiest to obtain via fotm.
Amulet are cheapest using laurels.
Accessories are cheapest with commendations.

The devs want people to do different things but if you insist of not doing them, they added other abeit less efficient ways to get it.

Why laurels and ectos?

Posted by: CoRtex.2157

CoRtex.2157

More gold toilets >_<
It’s just not funny anymore

Why laurels and ectos?

Posted by: bri.2359

bri.2359

This made my morning …

Lvl 80’s: Ranger; Guardian; Mesmer; Necromancer; Thief
Gandara Megaserver

Why laurels and ectos?

Posted by: GummiBear.2756

GummiBear.2756

Rings are easiest to obtain via fotm.
Amulet are cheapest using laurels.
Accessories are cheapest with commendations.

The devs want people to do different things but if you insist of not doing them, they added other abeit less efficient ways to get it.

amulets are not cheapest with laurel they can ONLY be gotten from laurel, and for those of us preferring small guilds commendations is not even en option, at least not for the next couple YEARS. so yeah that leaves 40 laurel and 50 ecto for EACH, and i never been above a 60something ectos at once…

Why laurels and ectos?

Posted by: CrazyMike.6142

CrazyMike.6142

if i had to guess, i’d say they wanted players to get the more important upgrades first, by making one of the weakest upgrades the hardest to get, they are causing more players to make smarter decisions about what order to obtain their improved equipment in, but still making it progressively harder to advance in fractals because you still need the extra AR slots.

just a theory.

Why laurels and ectos?

Posted by: mazut.4296

mazut.4296

hehe, 2x earrings – 100 ecto. For about +4 / +4 / +6 stats… ty, but no ty

Why laurels and ectos?

Posted by: Kromica.2831

Kromica.2831

Because they wanted to create an mmo without grind….. They are doing a wonderful job don’t you think?

Why laurels and ectos?

Posted by: Vinny.6924

Vinny.6924

Gold Sink.

I dont understand why they would use Ecto? Its just going to raise the price in the long run. Should have used a different crafting mat that was sold for near vendor price.

Commander Ahria – Warrior – Stormbluff Isle

Why laurels and ectos?

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

Simply put, it’s because Anet is new to making grindy games. They don’t have a lot of experience with it out of the gate, but I believe that, over time and with experience, the grind will become as easy and straightforward as WoW’s.

Why laurels and ectos?

Posted by: CrazyMike.6142

CrazyMike.6142

Gold Sink.

I dont understand why they would use Ecto? Its just going to raise the price in the long run. Should have used a different crafting mat that was sold for near vendor price.

they also increased the drop rate of rares though, so i doubt ecto’s are going to shoot up in price.

Why laurels and ectos?

Posted by: Skugga.5298

Skugga.5298

Because they wanted to create an mmo without grind….. They are doing a wonderful job don’t you think?

I’ll tell you one thing, it’s easier to get a full epic set in Wow than trying to get one of these ascended rings.

They are doing great man xD

Why laurels and ectos?

Posted by: Katreyn.4218

Katreyn.4218

I’ll tell you one thing, it’s easier to get a full epic set in Wow than trying to get one of these ascended rings.

Yeah, I’ve do Fractal runs (30+ runs I’ve stopped now, can’t stand it anymore) and never got a ring that was worth anything to me. Haven’t even seen a vial either. I have pretty terrible luck it seems.

I do wonder if the chest buff that is giving out more rares will cause the ecto price to tank a bit. Probably not by much.

Either way it is kind of annoying. But atm I like my guild but we can’t do the guild missions. I’m not complaining about it. I’ll bite the bullet and buy, considering I have a majority of the ectos already (saving for legendary stuff). But that also comes into play that they love cutting into peoples legendary stash for other slots (ie. ascended infusions and backpieces).

(edited by Katreyn.4218)

Why laurels and ectos?

Posted by: Asglarek.8976

Asglarek.8976

Simply put, it’s because Anet is new to making grindy games. They don’t have a lot of experience with it out of the gate, but I believe that, over time and with experience, the grind will become as easy and straightforward as WoW’s.

Hopefully before its 8th anniversity.

Why laurels and ectos?

Posted by: VidGhost.3215

VidGhost.3215

Prices of ecto’s have not gone up.. i just purchased 50 last night at the cost of 35 silver each. I now have 100 ready and waiting for when i get enough Laurels… wont be very long now already have 10 laurels saved up, got my Ascended backpiece, rings and amulet already. wont be long until i have my earings !

I dont know what the fuss is all about .. why hasnt anyone said anything about the fact it costs 250 ecto’s to infuse an ascended back piece with +5 AR ? haha ..talk about complete rip off

(edited by VidGhost.3215)

Why laurels and ectos?

Posted by: lothefallen.7081

lothefallen.7081

Because they don’t want to deflate the prices of rares as a higher influx of them comes into the market due to loot table adjustments. They want certain items to maintain their cost integrity. It’s most likely a structural, economical decision. Kinda silly, but that’s what it is. Need something in here to keep the WoW grinders playing.

The Ardent Aegis
http://aa-guild.shivtr.com/

Why laurels and ectos?

Posted by: DreamOfACure.4382

DreamOfACure.4382

Because they love inflation.

I’m assuming you mean how the prices of ectos will rise.

That’s not inflation

That’s just a case of supply and demand and vendors have shot up the demand, this causes prices to rise up – Independent of the effects of inflation.

Inflation is when the amount of currency being introduced (gold made) is greater then the amount of resources the population can spend on.
This gradually raises the prices, because everyone is willing to pay more.

To summarize:

• Supply and Demand = Amount of Goods vs Amount People will Pay
  • Inflation = Total Amount of Currency in Economy rising + Amount of Goods not changing

In any case, the prices of ectos haven’t changed much anyway.

Few people are willing to fork over 50 ectos for one of those items…

“Bleeding, Poison, Confusion, Torment, they all look delightful on you.”

Lv80s: Guard, Thief, Necro. Renewed my Altaholic’s card on the HoT Hype-Train. Choo choo~

Why laurels and ectos?

Posted by: Chickenshoes.6250

Chickenshoes.6250

I did 12 easy fractal dailies on my engineer and without even using any relics to purchase them, I have 5 rings.

Hard it aint

Why laurels and ectos?

Posted by: panzer.6034

panzer.6034

I did 12 easy fractal dailies on my engineer and without even using any relics to purchase them, I have 5 rings.

Hard it aint

If you’re lucky. I got 5 rings in 10 runs without using pristine relics and my buddy got 0. For some people, RNG makes it hard.

Why laurels and ectos?

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

Because they nudge you towards Guild Activities, while the laurels are an alternative for solo players.

That’s quite ironic, given that the entire implementation of the new guild activities seems specifically designed to nudge many players away from them.

Why laurels and ectos?

Posted by: panzer.6034

panzer.6034

That’s quite ironic, given that the entire implementation of the new guild activities seems specifically designed to nudge many players away from them.

Or more precisely, the nudge players into turning their backs on their small guilds to hop on a big guild bandwagon. I know everyone in my small guild did.

Why laurels and ectos?

Posted by: VidGhost.3215

VidGhost.3215

Out of 8 runs i have got 4 rings.. one thing ive figured out is that if you get a ring at level 10.. you will get another one at 12.. (your odds of another ring at 10 are VERY low) if if its the next day.. you get the most reward from doing new fractals not redoing the same level