Why make burning stack intensity anyway?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Khristophoros.7194

Khristophoros.7194

Now it’s like super bleeding instead of working in a unique way. I don’t get it. In order to balance stacking intensity you’ll have to nerf it pretty hard and it’ll start to feel too similar to bleeding.

Stacking duration was fine. It was unique and honestly in most cases you didn’t have to wait too long for other peoples’ burn to end before yours started ticking. There wasn’t a problem with burning. Bleeding was the only condition that really needed help in large scale content.

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

In order to account for the new condition system and be zerg-friendly it had to be swapped to intensity stacking, or else it’d remain just as useless in huge zergs as it was before.

Only one player would ever be able to have their burn in effect, and players with low / no condition damage would be able to mess up the burning DPS for condition players. Which is exactly the problem that they were trying to solve with the new condition changes.

I mean, I guess they could have changed it so that each individual player could have 1 stack of burning active at any given time, but I don’t know if the game is setup to allow anything like that, and it would probably be harder to program than just letting burns stack like other conditions.

Posted by: Khristophoros.7194

Khristophoros.7194

In order to account for the new condition system and be zerg-friendly it had to be swapped to intensity stacking, or else it’d remain just as useless in huge zergs as it was before.

Only one player would ever be able to have their burn in effect, and players with low / no condition damage would be able to mess up the burning DPS for condition players. Which is exactly the problem that they were trying to solve with the new condition changes.

I mean, I guess they could have changed it so that each individual player could have 1 stack of burning active at any given time, but I don’t know if the game is setup to allow anything like that, and it would probably be harder to program than just letting burns stack like other conditions.

I really doubt that it suffered much in the old system. How many non-condi builds are doing much burning? Yeah some characters will apply it for 1 second every now and then but that is fine. I guess there are cases where you have some warrior doing axe 5 in stacked fire fields and that actually stacks a bunch of burning.

I think the problematic cases with burning were rare though, while bleeding was always capped in 100% of world boss fights. I’ve never once seen a world boss not cap out on bleeding. But with burning usually you see moments when it totally falls off so you know that everyone’s burning makes it through relatively quickly.

Posted by: Shifu.4321

Shifu.4321

Maybe they could have made it 1 single stack, but stacked per player. So instead of X players doing 10+ stacks of burning each, you got X players doing 1 stack of burning each (of course numbers would be adjusted to compensate).

(edited by Shifu.4321)

Posted by: Ragnar the Rock.3174

Ragnar the Rock.3174

The thing is stacking in duration often meant it was useless for people the second someone else came along who could also stack burning & had higher + condition damage.
I saw this happen fairly often on my guardian, engineer & elementalist & it caused a decent amount of damage to simply not happen.

This is because people who had more + condition damage would take priority over yours and push your ticks to the back where they might not ever tick.

Really all they need to do is institute the following 3 changes

1: Reduce condition damage by a set 10-20% in pvp

2: Increase the health of mobs in PvE by a fair margin

3: Spread the new boon resistance around more among the classes (only warrior and mesmer have any real access to it now) & possibly even give it or condition cleanses to bosses

(edited by Ragnar the Rock.3174)

Posted by: Wolfric.9380

Wolfric.9380

I would say watch builds if theres some OP one. But nerfing condi damage itself is totally wrong, it needed a slight push. In PvE it got out of hands. There bosses need condi cleanse or resistance. But if you apply resistance to much condi will be useless again.

Posted by: SirDrygan.1823

SirDrygan.1823

Just nerf the dmg by 50% and ANET would solved most of the problems now.

Wolfric.9380

very short thougt it would be the most horrible thing they can do. Intant death of condi damage and maybe 50% of viable build options. Balance must be done by looking deep into specs. Nerfing condi damage itself woul be like: OK there are some problems with bulds now. We don´t realy know how to handle it fast, so we take out the machine gun and shoot down 50%. For shure we hit the problem… And then: Oh we just smased half the builds and lost 10% players but it did´t help much in PvE.

Posted by: Arkblue.6129

Arkblue.6129

They could differentiate it from poison with different scaling: i.e= bleeding more flat damage and less scaling while Burning has more scaling but less flat damage. Ot they add a new mechanic like “more damage when standing still or not casting”

Wolfric.9380

I have the feeling high base damage and only stacking duration was fine for burning.
The problem here is that you want a noticable increase when multiple players fire on something or otherwise it makes no sense in group fights.

My suggestion for burning would be to scale down stacks like this:

now: (7.5+(1.55*Level) + (0.155 * Condition Damage) * (Stack count))

new: (7.5+(1.55*Level) + (0.2 * Condition Damage) * (1+ln(Stack count)))

Each stack will add, but not straight and manny stacks won´t do much more.

This will do abot the same damage with two stacks as now. One will do more and stacking will not go off.

I don´t know whats the goal. If it is intended to incinerate people and PvE monsters with large groups in a few seconds, then a straigt stacking is fine. direkt zerker damage does the same. If you need double the numer to nearly instantly pop someone with condies compared to direct damage it looks fine.

Wolfric.9380

Aww. Wheres the edit.. sorry for bad typing.

Posted by: nopoet.2960

nopoet.2960

What do you guys think of this. Anet reduces burning damage but to make it a unique the burning ticks are a point blank aoe. So … don’t stand in the fire and also don’t stand near the guy that burning. Also don’t increase the damage of the aoe portion based on stacks but instead increase the range of the pbaoe.

Posted by: Gray.9041

Gray.9041

How many non-condi builds are doing much burning?

Guardians. anyone around guardians.

in fact, conditions are almost as common on non-condi builds as on condi builds, and that’s been messing with the stacks for a while.

plus, making burning stack duration would basically make it useless, unless it got a huge damage buff. one stack of burn just can’t compete with 20+ bleed/poison.

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

Well, I somewhat miss the uniqueness of the conditions, sure. But I guess something like “1 Burning stack per player, each with their own duration, personal-only” was a bit tricky.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.