Why no 2012 halloween elements?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

So – quick question.

It seems from what I’ve seen on the forums that lots of people agree that the 2012 version of Halloween was better than the 2013 one.
I too agree with this.

So why not bring back the parts of that 2012 event that made it awesome? Why not have the mad king’s dungeon back?

I really see no reason why they wouldn’t use content they already have and people liked in order to bring us more variety and stuff to do this year.

Of course – I realize it’s too late now – just wondering how they thought this through.

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

People do seem to forget how much rage there was about that very dungeon during the actual release.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: DarkOcean.8746

DarkOcean.8746

People do seem to forget how much rage there was about that very dungeon during the actual release.

There wasn’t any rage about the dungeon besides it being so limited, if I recall correctly. The most amount of rage definitely came from the introduction of Black Lion Weapons. Now, that’s just a regular accepted occurrence.

lordkrall.7241

Oh, I seem to recall quite a few people complaining about how it was too hard or how it was too short or how it was [insert x reason here]

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Hunter.6950

Hunter.6950

They got rid of the Mad Kings Dungeon and Reaper Rumble mini game (the LoL/Dota style game) and everyone loved those…

I guess temp content is edgy…and cool

Dragons’ Solstice [SoL]
Maguuma Server

lordkrall.7241

I am fully aware what they removed after year 1. And it was DURING the year 1 event I am talking about.

And no, Reaper Rumble was far from loved by everyone, people were quite negative about it.

Funny how things change so much over time, aye?

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Kaz.5430

Kaz.5430

From my point of view, the most irritating part about the Mad King dungeon was that if you fell off while heading down to the chest, it was highly likely that the instance owner would loot the chest and leave the dungeon. You’d then get booted without looting the chest.

Monarchy - 15 year old browser-based game and roleplay community
Table Warfare Miniatures - Armatures, Custom Miniatures, Moulds etc.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

If you want to know what people thought you can read it for yourself, all the topics are still there: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/archive/halloween?page=1

Most of the complaints I saw were about how limited it was, with content coming and going throughout the event and none of it clearly communicated. It makes Living Story Season 1 look extremely generous.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Hunter.6950

And no, Reaper Rumble was far from loved by everyone, people were quite negative about it.

You’re thinking about the clock tower.

Dragons’ Solstice [SoL]
Maguuma Server

Posted by: Shaaba.5672

Shaaba.5672

The dungeon was fun and something different to do. I remember people being upset that skins could be looted from the chest and people who had played black lion key lotto for those skins were upset (and rightly so). The loot was very generous by today’s standards – adjust the loot table and I don’t see a problem with it. If it’s too short or whatever you didn’t like about it – don’t do it.

Same with Reaper’s Rumble – don’t like it, don’t do it. But some people did love it and the content is there, gathering dust, so why not give us more variety? If they like the concept of limited time content, then at least put them in a rotation so it’s not the same every year, but we could look forward to the year when it does come back.

Hunter.6950

The dungeon was fun and something different to do. I remember people being upset that skins could be looted from the chest and people who had played black lion key lotto for those skins were upset (and rightly so). The loot was very generous by today’s standards – adjust the loot table and I don’t see a problem with it. If it’s too short or whatever you didn’t like about it – don’t do it.

Same with Reaper’s Rumble – don’t like it, don’t do it. But some people did love it and the content is there, gathering dust, so why not give us more variety? If they like the concept of limited time content, then at least put them in a rotation so it’s not the same every year, but we could look forward to the year when it does come back.

I feel the same way about alot of other events people forget about. For example – The Repel the invading dragon forces meta event on the final beta weekend. Alot of people had a blast, and of course some people raged, but it was so much fun! It’s sitting there just collection dust.

Dragons’ Solstice [SoL]
Maguuma Server

Posted by: Eight Samurai.6840

Eight Samurai.6840

2012 Halloween event was not only the best of all holiday events in GW2, but also released some of the SICKEST looking weapons to date. Some of those weapons were even cooler than the legendary weapons, such as the ghastly grinning shield and the chainsaw greatsword.

Harper.4173

I really don’t see a problem with them adjusting the loot and re-adding content that is already there and that they’ve already made.

It was a fun dungeon – the only rage associated with it was loot-related – which can easily be changed/fixed.

Posted by: wwwes.1398

wwwes.1398

I really would like to hear a dev or Gaile chime in on this, because it’s a commonly asked question and I’m betting there’s a good reason for it that we don’t know.

Harper.4173

Somehow I never seem to get any attention or replies from the devs. I think it’s just me.

Posted by: Jns.1059

Jns.1059

Somehow I never seem to get any attention or replies from the devs. I think it’s just me.

:) I’d send my useless Greatsaw to you if it wasn’t soulbound.

Posted by: Liewec.2896

Liewec.2896

i keep seeing this pop up so i’ll address it again, atleast in relation to the skins,

if you look right now you’ll see that the 2012 halloween skins sell for nearly 2000g
and some of us who actually want the skin have farmed for months to buy them
(it was 1600g when i made the grind and bought one last year)
being unobtainable has made them extremely valuable and prestigious,
re-adding something like that to the game would be a huge slap in the face to anyone who REALLY wants the skin.

if you really wanted it you’d farm for months to get it like the rest of us.
if you don’t want to farm for months then you don’t really want it,
either way, don’t ruin it for those of us who have made the grind and got the reward!

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

i keep seeing this pop up so i’ll address it again, atleast in relation to the skins,

if you look right now you’ll see that the 2012 halloween skins sell for nearly 2000g
re-adding something like that to the game would be a huge slap in the face to anyone who REALLY wants the skin.

either way, don’t ruin it for those of us who have made the grind and got the reward!

Really? And the fact that some people got it completely for free because they did a 5 minute dungeon or happened to get a Black Lion Key drop at the right time doesn’t bother you?

I’ve heard of people who got a skin the easy way saying they want everyone else to have to suffer for it, but I’ve never heard of someone saying they want to be forced to put disproportionate effort in and being given an opportunity to win the skin the same way the TP sellers did would be unfair!

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Harper.4173

I don’t want and don’t care about the skins. I care about the fun events.

I want the dungeon back without the skins. Heck – i can afford them now if I want them.

The point I was making was that the dungeon was awesome content – and I wanted it back and saw no reason for it not to be back.

The skins? I don’t care if they do or don’t bring them back.

Posted by: sunset.3056

sunset.3056

I found the Mad King dungeon very fun and similar to the mini dungeons in GW1 during Wintersday that a lot of people enjoyed.

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

I didn’t get to do the dungeon the first year. I was still leery of doing dungeons at that point and was looking to doing it last year and it never appeared ;_;

Posted by: lunacrous.6751

lunacrous.6751

The dungeon was pretty alright and all, but man do I want Reaper’s Rumble back. Bashing someone over the head with a pumpkin until it broke… just melted all your stress away.

Posted by: DragonWhimsy.6489

DragonWhimsy.6489

I miss the finding the pages of the Mad King’s Journal mini-scavenger hunt. It introduced the lore of the Holiday in a really fun way. It gave the Mad King a creepiness he otherwise lacks.

Without those lore bits, he seems little more than a clown with a pumpkin head.

Also, this game has a remarkable lack of lore to be found in-game already. Removing any is just a bad idea.

Posted by: TheBlackLeech.9360

TheBlackLeech.9360

All of your feeble attempts to get the original halloween skins fall upon deaf ears.

Just save up for the skins, and stop begging anet to put it back in the game as a drop.

(edited by TheBlackLeech.9360)

Posted by: Xae Isareth.1364

Xae Isareth.1364

Why can’t they just have the same dungeon but with different skins? I mean, it’s not like Anet doesn’t know how to make new cosmetics or something.

Harper.4173

All of your feeble attempts to get the original halloween skins fall upon deaf ears.

Just save up for the skins, and stop begging anet to put it back in the game as a drop.

I am saying it again. I don’t care about the skins. I want the dungeon back. As far as I’m concerned they can bring those skins back NEVER and I’ll be alright with it.

Posted by: Sariel V.7024

Sariel V.7024

Really? And the fact that some people got it completely for free because they did a 5 minute dungeon or happened to get a Black Lion Key drop at the right time doesn’t bother you?

I’ve heard of people who got a skin the easy way saying they want everyone else to have to suffer for it, but I’ve never heard of someone saying they want to be forced to put disproportionate effort in and being given an opportunity to win the skin the same way the TP sellers did would be unfair!

I’ve learned to take a lot of things in stride. This is no exception. I’d love to have a greatsaw, if only for screenshots,. And I generally champion the idea of keeping skins available in some form or other, even if it means I have to leave my comfort zone to get them. But I’m not holding my breath.