Why no Capes?

Why no Capes?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Zathora.3970

Zathora.3970

All the loading screens and concept art show characters with capes, but we have no capes in the actual game

We had the in guildwars 1 if i remember correctly

Attachments:

Why no Capes?

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

One of the reasons is because it is hard to code capes for all 5 races, specially for the Charrs.

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)

Why no Capes?

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

So people will start a thread every other day asking about capes.

The Burninator

Why no Capes?

Posted by: Biohazard.7523

Biohazard.7523

Well they could add capes to some races which is easy to encode…
So why no capes ?

Why no Capes?

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

The day when we receive finally ground mounts, will be the day when we get also capes

Remark my words in this thread, if that prediction should ever become actually true exactly this way lol

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Why no Capes?

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

Why no auto targeting nuclear rocket launchers that turn into rainbow colored mounts to ride towards the target and then mushroom cloud them out and transport you to the to the end of the Not So Secret jumping puzzle that always drops a legendary??

Why no Capes?

Posted by: nibblesalil.3561

nibblesalil.3561

Why no auto targeting nuclear rocket launchers that turn into rainbow colored mounts to ride towards the target and then mushroom cloud them out and transport you to the to the end of the Not So Secret jumping puzzle that always drops a legendary??

i agree !!! we want it multicoloured that springs multiple rockets at the same time as lasers shooting out of your eyes LOL

if life is a cabaret old chum ………lets caberet

Why no Capes?

Blude.6812

i agree !!! we want it multicoloured that springs multiple rockets at the same time as lasers shooting out of your eyes LOL

LOL

Why no Capes?

Posted by: Gele.2048

Gele.2048

seriosly i can code them for charr i hate that race but if they are the problem ill do them so we have them for outer race
ps dead charr good charr!!!

Why no Capes?

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

Capes in GW1 was awesome, it was actually one of the big selling points, custom capes for your guild!

But that means resources

And capes move, so even more resources than usual.

Then they are TERRIBLE offenders when it comes to clipping issues. IE your cape hangs down and then your sword on your back is outside the cape at top, but inside it at the bottom, making it look like it’s stabbed through, but as the cape moes the stab through spot moves, basically it will never look right.

So what does leaving capes out do. It gives us a game with less lag and a more polished look with less clipping issues… there’s still clipping issues, but it’s not a constant on everyone’s back, everytime they play.

Why no Capes?

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Blame the Charr

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Why no Capes?

Posted by: Travis the Terrible.4739

Travis the Terrible.4739

Not like it’s that hard to “code” a free flowing piece of square cloth. Hell half the time in gw1 the capes would tangle themselves up

Follow the darkness into the depths, it’s more fun than the light can provide.

Why no Capes?

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

Not like it’s that hard to “code” a free flowing piece of square cloth. Hell half the time in gw1 the capes would tangle themselves up

And that because they only needed to fit the only model, imagine to fit 5 models.

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)

Why no Capes?

Posted by: Nightarch.2943

Nightarch.2943

This is why we do not have capes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jy2YhxXn7NY

Guild Wars 2 is not a sequel to the original Guild Wars but merely an alternative story setting.

Why no Capes?

Posted by: CMstorm.8679

CMstorm.8679

Do i really need to say this again? no capes! lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jy2YhxXn7NY

actually Nightarch got to it before I could. darnit

Why no Capes?

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I’m honestly surprised anyone cares. If it wasn’t for this forum I would never have known anyone even missed them, and now I hear they were the major selling point of GW1?

Seriously? Did anyone ever persuade their friends to buy that game by telling them you can wear a cape?

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Why no Capes?

Blude.6812

Seriously—they can’t even fix the clipping for cloaks/coats let alone capes.

Why no Capes?

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

Because we seriously have a deficit of these Backpacks not only do we need about 15 more of those in the game we need them to be from in game vendors and we need them to be for every in game job the lore permits.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Why no Capes?

Posted by: Galtrix.7369

Galtrix.7369

There are so many clipping issues in the game already, just freaking add capes. I don’t care if the cape clips halfway into my body, just gimme one already.

[~Galtrix~] [~Level 80 Elementalist~] [~GoM~]

Why no Capes?

Posted by: Morsus.5106

Morsus.5106

This is exactly why we don’t have capes.

Why no Capes?

Posted by: Ahmrill.7512

Ahmrill.7512

I’m sure we’ll see capes added before more useful things like…. a functional and flexible grouping system? We’ve been asking for that feature for almost 2 years and jack squat.

I’m sure the next feature patch will have more bling features and other things that don’t actually improve GW2 gameplay.

Ahmrill
Proud member of [NORD] Nordvegr Guild
Jade Quarry

Why no Capes?

Posted by: Sunshine.4680

Sunshine.4680

Clipping issues and because Charr, Charr are the reason we don’t get many armor skins or capes. What they make has to fit all 5 races and Charr, well nothing fits them right because they made them hunchbacks which in concept was cool but in application hinders making any new armor.

Sad thing is then people would whine if they released stuff that didn’t fit Charr too. It’s why they recycle armors.

Why no Capes?

Posted by: Nerelith.7360

Nerelith.7360

I want sharks with lasers on their heads!

The mind is its own place and in itself, can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven.

Why no Capes?

Posted by: Flytrap.8075

Flytrap.8075

There are so many clipping issues in the game already, just freaking add capes. I don’t care if the cape clips halfway into my body, just gimme one already.

Pwease?

Fort Aspenwood | [Bags]

Why no Capes?

Posted by: SonOfJacob.7396

SonOfJacob.7396

This is exactly why we don’t have capes.

THIS WAS EXACTLY WHAT I THOUGHT OF…

Why no Capes?

Posted by: Phenix Flyer.6724

Phenix Flyer.6724

No capes because Basically clipping.
Really clipping issues would be too much of a hassle. They have already put in guild armour, backpacks, and two types of guild back banners, as well as guild weapons and a finisher, so displaying your dedication to your guild has kinda already been facilitated.

~ Sylvari Ranger, [BGW] Jade Quarry ~
“I blame Kormir”

Why no Capes?

Posted by: Nurgle.6597

Nurgle.6597

Game already has enough clipping issues as it is.

Why no Capes?

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

Clipping is somethin pretty normal in MMOs. I really don’t care. I found it ridiculous (all the mentions in the gw1 wiki) and I find it ridiculous here. No one was complaining about clipping in WoW and there the capes even go through the chairs you are sitting on.

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

Why no Capes?

Posted by: Hermes.7014

Hermes.7014

Clipping is overrated. We get alot of clipping everywhere in most games, and most of the times we don’t even care about it.

However, there is a way to reduce clipping for the Charr, if the tail is the problem. Make a chlamys that flows down from a single shoulder. There, tail problem solved.

Whether something is either wrong or right, someone will always complain about it.

Why no Capes?

Posted by: Rukh.9287

Rukh.9287

Or let charr tie their capes around their waist like a towel.

Why no Capes?

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

I envision Charr “capes” as a metal spine guard with two capes attached to it – one on the left and one on the right, with each cape essentially draping over the ribs instead of towards the tail. =|=

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Why no Capes?

Posted by: Tru Reptile.6058

Tru Reptile.6058

Clipping is somethin pretty normal in MMOs. I really don’t care. I found it ridiculous (all the mentions in the gw1 wiki) and I find it ridiculous here. No one was complaining about clipping in WoW and there the capes even go through the chairs you are sitting on.

I don’t think I’ve seen another MMO that has such severe clipping issues that GW2 has. To me, it gives the impression the devs don’t give a kitten, which is especially bad considering that:

1) A big part of GW2 is dressing up your character.

2) A lot of the gem store armor has clipping issues as well. Keep in mind that many people use real money to buy them.

As an artist myself I’d be absolutely embarrassed to see my work published in such a state. I would’ve gladly used my credit card to purchase Braham’s and the Phalanx armor if it wasn’t for the clipping.

Now I do expect some clipping to occur, but not during a basic action such a running, and especially not when standing idle.

(edited by Tru Reptile.6058)

Why no Capes?

Posted by: OmaiGodman.2098

OmaiGodman.2098

It’s kind of sad that the only argument aside from the clipping issues that the anti-cape crusaders can come up with is a clip from the Incredibles. If I got a gem for everytime someone posted that clip (or an image from it), I could have bought all the gemstore armours by now.

Any plan that involves dead quaggans is, by design, foolproof. I’m an unmitigated genius!

Why no Capes?

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

The day when we receive finally ground mounts, will be the day when we get also capes

Remark my words in this thread, if that prediction should ever become actually true exactly this way lol

And we will also get Open-PvP and a Trinity at that day .. ahh .. and Duels of course ..

@Thread
NO CAPES !! Since Edna said so

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Why no Capes?

Posted by: Ameepa.6793

Ameepa.6793

Capes are stupid.

Why no Capes?

Posted by: nibblesalil.3561

nibblesalil.3561

I want sharks with lasers on their heads!

lasers for everyone but still no capes LOL capes are just more unnecessary bumf we do not need there needs to be more sharks lol

if life is a cabaret old chum ………lets caberet

Why no Capes?

Posted by: Heraldusluminare.2946

Heraldusluminare.2946

On another note, Colin Johanson did mention he liked capes himself. So, fingers crossed…

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/pvp/pvp/Collaborative-Development-Ladders-Seasons/page/3

Scroll about halfway down the page.

Why no Capes?

Posted by: zoejo.2317

zoejo.2317

Why not a million other things?

Why no Capes?

Posted by: Timelord.8190

Timelord.8190

At least it someone can make it without the clipping issues.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tr_KVNrxtRI&list=FLMzlG2QEoDZ6jzTBS14Eahg

Far ShiverPeaks (EU)

Why no Capes?

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

Because if we got capes there would be no reason for them to design back pieces anymore. All any of us would do is wear the capes.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

Why no Capes?

Beldin.5498

At least it someone can make it without the clipping issues.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tr_KVNrxtRI&list=FLMzlG2QEoDZ6jzTBS14Eahg

Big question is, what performance you will get with 100 persons on screen with that kind of cloth simulation.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.

Why no Capes?

Posted by: Heraldusluminare.2946

Heraldusluminare.2946

Because if we got capes there would be no reason for them to design back pieces anymore. All any of us would do is wear the capes.

Hah! That would probably be true, except if ANet has learned anything, it should be that when in doubt, give players both the old and the new. That would meant that we still get to choose between wearing a cape, or some other snazzy backpiece.

I hear wings are something highly-valued (and what about capes AND wings, lol!)

Why no Capes?

Posted by: Allanon.9072

Allanon.9072

Short answer Never like many other things, long answer we work on it bla bla bla in the future..

Why no Capes?

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

Most medium armor looks like a coat already. I don’t need a cape over my coat thank you.

Why no Capes?

Beldin.5498

Most medium armor looks like a coat already. I don’t need a cape over my coat thank you.

But you could maybe use the cape to hide the coat

Why no Capes?

Blude.6812

+1—-really tired of the long coats on my medium armor characters. They should work on changing this instead.