Why no Guild Cloaks?

Why no Guild Cloaks?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Brutelas.2903

Brutelas.2903

I tried searching for guild cloak threads didn’t see any so I apologize if this has been brought up before.

So i’d like to ask why does this game not have guild cloak? I do like quite a few of the backpiece items in the game but I have always wondered why this game has never implemented real guild cloaks. It was a very common thing in GW1 but in this game if you want your guild emblem on a backpiece it’s a backpack.

Why not just roll out the cloaks? Something about cloaks has always appealed more to me and without them you hardly notice guild emblems at all.

Brutelas Lvl 80 Revenant
DragonBrand
Dawn Of The Sacred Knights [DAWN]

Why no Guild Cloaks?

Posted by: RedStar.4218

RedStar.4218

Maybe because it will clip with quite a lot light/medium armor due to their skirts/coats.

But I think there has been official word on this, but I don’t know where to start searching for the quote :/

Why no Guild Cloaks?

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

The official word is that the animation in this game is much better in GW1, which means cloaks have to be much better animated as well or it would look silly, but a piece of loose fabric hanging from the back of a moving person is a surprisingly hard thing to animate.

If you don’t believe me go find a piece of cloth (even a towel would do) drape it over yourself, or better yet someone else (with their consent obviously) and run around. Watch how it moves. Now imagine the number of different animations required to recreate that convincingly, the physics required to determine which animations to use when and the progressing power required to do this for all 150 people on a map.

If you think it would be easy I’m sure Anet would love to hear from you.

tl;dr It’s not worth the effort it would take to make them.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Why no Guild Cloaks?

Posted by: Dr Ritter.1327

Dr Ritter.1327

one reason: charr

delete them from game

The Paragon
[KICK] You’re out of the Guild
#beastgate

Why no Guild Cloaks?

Posted by: xsquared.1926

xsquared.1926

I tried searching for guild cloak threads didn’t see any so I apologize if this has been brought up before.

So i’d like to ask why does this game not have guild cloak? I do like quite a few of the backpiece items in the game but I have always wondered why this game has never implemented real guild cloaks. It was a very common thing in GW1 but in this game if you want your guild emblem on a backpiece it’s a backpack.

Why not just roll out the cloaks? Something about cloaks has always appealed more to me and without them you hardly notice guild emblems at all.

Clipping with races such as charr and the fact that cloth physics take a lot of processing power.

Master Ruseman. Lv80 Mesmer 10/20/0/25/15
Boon Dispenser. Lv80 Guardian 15/25/0/20/10 Boom Dispenser – Lv80 Engineer 30/30/0/10/0
Chuck Thunderstruck – Lv 80 Ele 30/10/10/10/10

Why no Guild Cloaks?

Posted by: Fomby.4295

Fomby.4295

The kodan have capes, so that makes me hopeful.

Maguuma [PYRO]
Kal Snow – Norn Guardian

Why no Guild Cloaks?

Posted by: DusK.3849

DusK.3849

Colin’s stated in an interview with Wood that he really wants to see capes come back, but because of all of the variables involved, it’s a significantly larger technically challenge to implement them with the customization present in the first game.

Like rock and metal remixes of video game music? Check out my site and get your headbang on!
Also, check out Hardcore Adventure Box: World 1, World 2, Lost Sessions
Main Character: Dathius Eventide | Say “hi” to the Tribulation Clouds for me. :)

Why no Guild Cloaks?

Posted by: Zeivu.3615

Zeivu.3615

Soji The Brave, drowned by hermit crabs. Klona The Fierce, carried off by harpies, Philo Nuckledragger, sucked into skyship engine!

NO CAPES!

Why no Guild Cloaks?

Posted by: OmaiGodman.2098

OmaiGodman.2098

Yet, they have the “butt-capes”. Just make capes like that, don’t make them flow too much but make them kind of wrap around the character.

Any plan that involves dead quaggans is, by design, foolproof. I’m an unmitigated genius!

Why no Guild Cloaks?

Posted by: Eurhetemec.9052

Eurhetemec.9052

The official word is that the animation in this game is much better in GW1, which means cloaks have to be much better animated as well or it would look silly, but a piece of loose fabric hanging from the back of a moving person is a surprisingly hard thing to animate.

If you don’t believe me go find a piece of cloth (even a towel would do) drape it over yourself, or better yet someone else (with their consent obviously) and run around. Watch how it moves. Now imagine the number of different animations required to recreate that convincingly, the physics required to determine which animations to use when and the progressing power required to do this for all 150 people on a map.

If you think it would be easy I’m sure Anet would love to hear from you.

tl;dr It’s not worth the effort it would take to make them.

This is obviously not accurate. It may be the “official line” (I hope not), but is no less nonsensical for it.

The armour in GW2 is simply not that well animated. It’s reasonably well-animated, as armour goes, but with no insult to the developers, it is nothing shocking or stunning or “stand out”.

Your whole suggestion about how we “watch a cloak in real life” is particularly off-base and misleading, because by that logic, none of the armour animation in GW2 is remotely acceptable, because none of it moves like real fabric or metal (far too light and far too flexible respectively). Equally, your “For 150 people” line is completely illogical – it’s not hugely greater than that for armour, and the way they solve that for armour is to strictly limit how many people they do detailed physics on. Which is precisely the solution that could be used here. So we can dismiss both those arguments entirely.

It’s relatively easy to do cloaks that are fairly satisfying, as satisfying, say, as the current armour animations. Even GW1’s very simplistic cloaks are certainly “on-par” with the complexity of the armour animations.

EDIT – I daresay the fact that the armour was designed without cloaks in mind and a lot of armour doesn’t have a good “cloak attachment point” is a bigger deal.

Why no Guild Cloaks?

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

There are games with very well animated capes. For example Batman: Arkham Asylum and the two sequels. Of course it’s a single player game but it is possible.

I think many things in GW2 are awkwardly programmed. Like the problems with moving platforms (—> Airship in Arah Story) and the horrible instance owning system (kicking an instance owner, so the rest gets kicked too, WTF? Complete no-goes).

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

Why no Guild Cloaks?

Posted by: Xae Isareth.1364

Xae Isareth.1364

Well, just look at The Grenth Hood scarf and imagine that on a Charr, but 3 times as long. Just think about how great that would look in terms of animation and try to not throw up.