Why no PvE/PvP separation?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Steinpilz.5078

Steinpilz.5078

People who played GW1 tell me that skills could be completely different depending on game mode.
Why not in GW2?
This would make changes like the recent thief nerf that was arguably done for PvP less worse.
Please A-Net: Separate PvP from PvE.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

iirc they said they didn’t want separate PvP and PvE skills because it would be too confusing to the players to have skills that were different depending on where you were.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Haleydawn.3764

Haleydawn.3764

^ as above. Saves confusion for players that enjoy both PvP and PvE game modes.

Kitten.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Some skills were separated, and now with the recent patch, they are not. For the reasons stated above, and others, possibly. The Devs have posted about it, not long ago.

Posted by: Khristophoros.7194

Khristophoros.7194

Where are these mentally deficient players who get confused by simple things like skills being slightly different between PvE and PvP? I’ve heard the “players would be confused!” thing a lot, but never met such a player.

Also, when it comes to splitting skills I’m pretty sure anyone who would be confused by small differences like “this skill does less damage in PvP” aren’t the kind of players to read tooltips or even notice the difference anyway.

GW1 differences between PvP and PvE tended to be very drastic because ANet had the stance of nerfing things out of the metagame, which is an entirely different problem. If you don’t want a skill to be viable in PvP you should probably straight up disable it and that would be a lot less confusing than having it last 90% less duration or whatever.

Posted by: TheRandomGuy.7246

TheRandomGuy.7246

Too much work. Confused players is just an excuse.

Posted by: Charrbeque.8729

Charrbeque.8729

Where are these mentally deficient players who get confused by simple things like skills being slightly different between PvE and PvP? I’ve heard the “players would be confused!” thing a lot, but never met such a player.

Also, when it comes to splitting skills I’m pretty sure anyone who would be confused by small differences like “this skill does less damage in PvP” aren’t the kind of players to read tooltips or even notice the difference anyway.

GW1 differences between PvP and PvE tended to be very drastic because ANet had the stance of nerfing things out of the metagame, which is an entirely different problem. If you don’t want a skill to be viable in PvP you should probably straight up disable it and that would be a lot less confusing than having it last 90% less duration or whatever.

Isn’t it obvious? The reason why you don’t see any confused players is because there aren’t any due to the way things work.

They designed things to prevent player confusion and I’d say the system is working as intended.

There’s something charming about rangers.

Posted by: rainynoble.6531

rainynoble.6531

Too much work. Confused players is just an excuse.

This.

second this, we aren’t idiots.

Posted by: Charrbeque.8729

Charrbeque.8729

To add my insight into this, you need to consider the history of skill balance changes in GW1.

This isn’t about players being too confused; it’s to prevent them from having to nerf skills for PvP into oblivion.

In GW1 the reason why some skills were split for PvP is because they were too powerful. Sometimes the skills were nerfed to the point they couldn’t be very effective in any situation or build, thus limiting your options.

And if they can’t figure out a way to balance a skill for PvP they would nerf it so hard nobody will want to take it, effectively removing it from game play. A good example: http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Smiter%27s_Boon_%28PvP%29

Trivia: This skill was modified in the August 21, 2008 update to effectively remove it from PvP. Its modification was explained in that update’s developer update.

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/ArenaNet:Developer_updates/20080821#Monk

Smiter’s Boon is a key skill in smite-heavy PvP teams that were generally overpowered and which too strongly discouraged the use of hexes and conditions. Their combination of healing, damage, and removal invalidated a lot of alternative builds within Team Arenas and has had a negative impact on GvG combat.

We recognize that the changes to this skill will essentially remove it from play. In the future, we may consider whether or not there is an incarnation of this skill that would be viable but balanced. For now, we do not expect it to see serious use.

And the developer’s explanation of how they decided to change the skill http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/2yigwn/thank_you_pax_east_fans_had_a_great_time/cpad1gq (This explanation seems to have been posted 3 months ago)

We would end up seeing more of that in GW2. With skills split for PvP your options would be reduced due to some skills being nerfed. As it is right now every single skill and trait you have is perfectly viable in PvP, even if some builds aren’t as effective as others. It also prevents the need for extra developer time going into having to balance player skills for multiple game modes. This way they just balance things once and use the extra time to work on other things like fixing bugs or coming up with new content (or outfits for the gem shop LoL).

There’s something charming about rangers.

(edited by Charrbeque.8729)

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

As I recall it, ANet also found it easier to balance professions if they didn’t have to keep track of two versions of every skill.

I wonder if there is a happy medium in removing some skills from PvP and replacing them with something appropriate to PvP or vice-versa. There are just some skills/mechanics that are always going to be too weak in PvE (because the AI is so artificial) and too OP’d in PvP.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

It happened very very late in Guild Wars 1’s evolution too. It wasn’t something that was done for a very long time. It certainly wasn’t like that during the time when Guild Wars 1 games were still being released.