Why no elite spec testing I'm PvE?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

WvW has a built-in mechanic to give you hero points, e.g. Notarized Scroll of Maguuma Heroics. PvE does not. PvE would require building in such a mechanic for what would only be 3 days of demoing.

My money is on Anet providing demo characters with enough of the PoF equivalent items to unlock their elite spec.

They give enough hero points to players to fully do HoT specs if they own HoT.

Giving enough to have PoF specs unlocked as well is not out of the question in a demo, if they are using hero points to unlock specs this time. I’ve heard rumors of it being tied to doing side quests.

Oh? I hadn’t noticed. I thought we had base level 80 characters, so enough natural HP for all core skills and traits. Last ditch guess might be that they wanted one more week to clean up the elites? shrug

I am planning on sitting in a few private PvP arenas, so I don’t have to go fighting people to test things out. I’m sure that there will be a supply of such places next weekend. Hope you get some peace and quite to play around, and don’t forget that there are “PvE” areas in WvW, like the skritt and centaurs you can go up against .

But how many other PvE players will be finding those PvE areas in WvW? Those PvE enemies aren’t going to last long and will be found by PvE players on all sides.

One more week to clean them up doesn’t explain why they aren’t allowed to be tested in PvE.

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

I personnally don’t understand the point of a public beta test if the elite spec aren’t avaible. I don’t want story spoilers …

This is not a beta test tho. This is just a small demo.

i beg to differ

The screen literally says “DEMO” at the top of it…..

and i literally see a bug in the game that doesn’t exist outside the demo, ergo, a beta test.

The existence of a bug does not make a piece of software a beta test. Otherwise every piece of software ever created would still be considered to be in beta.

look, you can stay that way and be stubborn but no matter how Anet calls it, this is still a beta test.
a demo is the representation of a product, just showing 1/10 of the basics isn’t a demo but a beta.
if it was a demo we could just play with all the elite specs including the new ones, a beta can have things not in it so the next beta they can focus on other parts.

Seera.5916

I personnally don’t understand the point of a public beta test if the elite spec aren’t avaible. I don’t want story spoilers …

i beg to differ

and i literally see a bug in the game that doesn’t exist outside the demo, ergo, a beta test.

The existence of a bug does not make a piece of software a beta test. Otherwise every piece of software ever created would still be considered to be in beta.

look, you can stay that way and be stubborn but no matter how Anet calls it, this is still a beta test.
a demo is the representation of a product, just showing 1/10 of the basics isn’t a demo but a beta.
if it was a demo we could just play with all the elite specs including the new ones, a beta can have things not in it so the next beta they can focus on other parts.

So can a demo.

A demo to me is a portion of a completed game/expansion pack. Used to get people interested in buying the game. Which means you can’t put the entire thing in it. You have to lock things away. We’ve been given a demo of the story (the first mission most likely) and of the first map. Next week’s demo is of PvP and WvW with elite specs.

When you play it, you aren’t having to keep an eye out for bugs as one of the main purposes of it or trying to find out if the servers can handle X number of players online at one time. Doesn’t mean you won’t find bugs or there won’t be issues with servers, but that isn’t the purpose of a demo.

A beta to me is done to find bugs, to stress test servers, etc.

Many people treat betas as demos and don’t look or try to find bugs.

Posted by: AegisRunestone.8672

AegisRunestone.8672

i beg to differ

So can a demo.

A demo to me is a portion of a completed game/expansion pack. Used to get people interested in buying the game. Which means you can’t put the entire thing in it. You have to lock things away. We’ve been given a demo of the story (the first mission most likely) and of the first map. Next week’s demo is of PvP and WvW with elite specs.

When you play it, you aren’t having to keep an eye out for bugs as one of the main purposes of it or trying to find out if the servers can handle X number of players online at one time. Doesn’t mean you won’t find bugs or there won’t be issues with servers, but that isn’t the purpose of a demo.

Guess what? I can’t play next week because of family visits and other things. And don’t see why the first week couldn’t have the elite specs. It looks like it was planned: I made an ele, and the loot boxes gave me a sword. Yet, I can’t use it.

Seera.5916

i beg to differ

So can a demo.

Guess what? I can’t play next week because of family visits and other things. And don’t see why the first week couldn’t have the elite specs. It looks like it was planned: I made an ele, and the loot boxes gave me a sword. Yet, I can’t use it.

Yea, I’m not thrilled I can’t test the elite specs in PvE.

Hopefully they’ll decide to allow it for next weekend and allow it during more demo/beta weekends for future EP’s. But to me it’s not big deal if they don’t.

And they may not be wiping progress between the two weekends which would explain the swords in the boxes. Who knows at this point.

sorudo.9054

they will wipe, they already said they will.

Seera.5916

Wipe between the demo weekends? Like between this weekend and next weekend?

I know the progress will be wiped before the launch of the expansion.

sorudo.9054

well, your character is locked in elona and PVP isn’t allowed with them, would make sense that they are then completely useless.

Seera.5916

well, your character is locked in elona and PVP isn’t allowed with them, would make sense that they are then completely useless.

And we may be able to use those characters in PvP and WvW for the next demo where apparently PvE isn’t allowed like PvP and WvW weren’t allowed for them this weekend.

So unless you can find a quote where they say they are wiping between demo weekends, then you can’t say for sure. And it would explain why in the box for elementalist gear a sword was found this weekend. Because they aren’t getting wiped between now and next weekend and you may want a sword to test out weaver.

Posted by: Nihevil.8024

Nihevil.8024

No response, seriously?

Elitism in Guild Wars 2. http://i.imgur.com/ZGnzBCI.gif