Why no guaranteed ectos?

Why no guaranteed ectos?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: TheRudeDude.1596

TheRudeDude.1596

I would really like to hear the reasoning behind the decision to make 0-3 and 0-5 from salvaging rares and exotics.

What exactly would change, if we had a guaranteed ecto out of rares and exotics?

For me personally, i would love to have at least something accomplished after finishing an already bad (loot) fractal run.
Instead i hear everyone moan in teamspeak about not receiving anything out of their rares, myself included.

Since more or less the whole end game revolves around ectos, and lots of it, it is really not encouraging to have five rares in a row salvage in to no ectos at all.
If it´s to encourage us to play more, i have seen quite the opposite effect, where people stop playing certain aspects of the game, simply because it is not worth it.

Any good reason why this can´t be changed for the better?

Why no guaranteed ectos?

Posted by: Iehova.9518

Iehova.9518

Remember, being kittened by the RNG is FUN.

Why no guaranteed ectos?

Posted by: Adine.2184

Adine.2184

What exactly would change, if we had a guaranteed ecto out of rares and exotics?

The game economy .

Why no guaranteed ectos?

Posted by: Areth Belthazor.2369

Areth Belthazor.2369

You either get the choice to play safe , and sell the rare on the trading post for a few silver, or take a risk and either make more than you would have gotten from your safe sell or lose some money and don’t get any ecto’s.

If you’d get guaranteed ecto’s from the exotic’s the ecto price would drop pretty hard i’d say. Ecto’s are a rare material and this way you have a ‘rare chance’ of getting them.

Why no guaranteed ectos?

Posted by: Riss.1536

Riss.1536

The problem is more about the Black Lion Kit. Why the hell would I buy one at the gems store if I often salvage and get between 0 and 1 ecto ? (more often 0…). Prefer not buying and selling yellows to the market. Seriously up the kit to 75%.

Why no guaranteed ectos?

Posted by: Bloodstealer.5978

Bloodstealer.5978

I would really like to hear the reasoning behind the decision to make 0-3 and 0-5 from salvaging rares and exotics.

For me personally, i would love to have at least something accomplished after finishing an already bad (loot) fractal run.
Instead i hear everyone moan in teamspeak about not receiving anything out of their rares, myself included.

Since more or less the whole end game revolves around ectos, and lots of it, it is really not encouraging to have five rares in a row salvage in to no ectos at all.
If it´s to encourage us to play more, i have seen quite the opposite effect, where people stop playing certain aspects of the game, simply because it is not worth it.

Any good reason why this can´t be changed for the better?

Well it seems to me you have gone some way in actually answering your own post.
Economy needs certain things to stay controlled otherwise their would be no need for an economy.
By guaranteed Ecto drops where would the market be for Ecto’s, as well as the hook to grab hard coin from players to buy gems… to then purchase Ecto’s on the TP.
Endgame is in its infancy in GW2, therfore they need ways to keep players engaged, hooked and keen to keep striving for the end of the rainbow… but to do that RNG has to contol things a little.
Now consider how many times you run FotM or Dungeons then add in RNG for Loot from trash mobs, Vets and Champs, Map Bosses etc… then think how many Ecto’s that equates to in just a few days, multiply that by a months game play and you start to realise how ridiculous your idea becomes.. how many players would still be around after a few months of farming Ecto’s for that elusive prize.

An MMO doesn’t survive too long if players can accomplish everything in a few weeks, the Devs could never keep up with the constant whine of we want more things to do, we need content but we dont want it to be difficult or grindy….

So is there some race to get to the otherside of this rainbow, cos if so I must of missed the whistle.

Why no guaranteed ectos?

Posted by: Wasabi Kitty.8247

Wasabi Kitty.8247

The problem is more about the Black Lion Kit. Why the hell would I buy one at the gems store if I often salvage and get between 0 and 1 ecto ? (more often 0…). Prefer not buying and selling yellows to the market. Seriously up the kit to 75%.

Rate is around 0.8 to 0.9 ectos per salvage, so if it was 75% then you’d get even less ectos.

Anet make Rev great again.

Why no guaranteed ectos?

Posted by: Rifter.6591

Rifter.6591

I think for rares its ok but i agree exotics should always drop at least 1 ecto.

Why no guaranteed ectos?

TheRudeDude.1596

Economy needs certain things to stay controlled otherwise their would be no need for an economy.
By guaranteed Ecto drops where would the market be for Ecto’s, as well as the hook to grab hard coin from players to buy gems… to then purchase Ecto’s on the TP.
Endgame is in its infancy in GW2, therfore they need ways to keep players engaged, hooked and keen to keep striving for the end of the rainbow… but to do that RNG has to contol things a little.
Now consider how many times you run FotM or Dungeons then add in RNG for Loot from trash mobs, Vets and Champs, Map Bosses etc… then think how many Ecto’s that equates to in just a few days, multiply that by a months game play and you start to realise how ridiculous your idea becomes.. how many players would still be around after a few months of farming Ecto’s for that elusive prize.

An MMO doesn’t survive too long if players can accomplish everything in a few weeks, the Devs could never keep up with the constant whine of we want more things to do, we need content but we dont want it to be difficult or grindy….

So is there some race to get to the otherside of this rainbow, cos if so I must of missed the whistle.

I don´t agree.
There still would be a random aspect with 1-3 and 1-5.
The rate of getting 0 ectos is already much higher than getting max ectos.

In regards to getting everything in a few weeks:
I have played GW2 for over 1000 hours now, i have made no special skin or legendary, simply because i like to play the game instead of the tp.
The stuff i want requires 250 ectos PER skin!
It will take me a few months of normal play-style to amass this amount.
In this time-frame there should not be any problem to create a few new skins that i might want afterwards.

Sure the economy would adjust, but is this necessarily a bad thing?

Why no guaranteed ectos?

Posted by: Riss.1536

Riss.1536

Rate is around 0.8 to 0.9 ectos per salvage, so if it was 75% then you’d get even less ectos.

Currently, master kit has a 25% chance of having rare mats. Black Lion Kit has 50% chance. I want a up to 75%, that’s what I meant so I don’t think you would have less by upping the kit. Otherwise, it’s better to directly buy the ectos than to buy gems or use gold for the black lion kit.

Why no guaranteed ectos?

Bloodstealer.5978

I don´t agree.
There still would be a random aspect with 1-3 and 1-5.
The rate of getting 0 ectos is already much higher than getting max ectos.

In regards to getting everything in a few weeks:
I have played GW2 for over 1000 hours now, i have made no special skin or legendary, simply because i like to play the game instead of the tp.
The stuff i want requires 250 ectos PER skin!
It will take me a few months of normal play-style to amass this amount.
In this time-frame there should not be any problem to create a few new skins that i might want afterwards.

Sure the economy would adjust, but is this necessarily a bad thing?

Of course it would be… why go buy ecto’s when you can just farm rares in Openworld.. i regualrly hit 3-6 rares in a few hours of gameplay most nights without even trying.

Then consider how it would affect the bigger economy ie gem sales to purchase Ectos etc… drops in hard coin sales doesnt take long before the business model begins to suffer.. that then could lead to all manner of nerfs or worse slower content releases, even worse support and pretty soon maintenance mode is instigated.

So no, risk and reward are what makes RNG more fun… entitlement doesn’t.

Why no guaranteed ectos?

Posted by: Adine.2184

Adine.2184

if you were to get 1-3 and 1-5 the price of ecto would plummet and the price of rares and exotics would skyrocket destabilizing te economy

Why no guaranteed ectos?

Bloodstealer.5978

if you were to get 1-3 and 1-5 the price of ecto would plummet and the price of rares and exotics would skyrocket destabilizing te economy

Exotics might but rares are pretty easy drops without even having to farm certain game areas like FotM or Dungeons etc so why bother buying them unless your really desperate or just plain foolish.

Why no guaranteed ectos?

Posted by: Protoavis.9107

Protoavis.9107

Currently, master kit has a 25% chance of having rare mats. Black Lion Kit has 50% chance. I want a up to 75%, that’s what I meant so I don’t think you would have less by upping the kit. Otherwise, it’s better to directly buy the ectos than to buy gems or use gold for the black lion kit.

Then I must be the most lucky person with my approx 9 ecto’s per 10 salvages.

Let us buy vendor mats (eg spools of thread) in 250 stacks, end the excessive clicking.

Why no guaranteed ectos?

TheRudeDude.1596

Of course it would be… why go buy ecto’s when you can just farm rares in Openworld.. i regualrly hit 3-6 rares in a few hours of gameplay most nights without even trying.

Then consider how it would affect the bigger economy ie gem sales to purchase Ectos etc… drops in hard coin sales doesnt take long before the business model begins to suffer.. that then could lead to all manner of nerfs or worse slower content releases, even worse support and pretty soon maintenance mode is instigated.

I think you are missing my point
What i wanted to say in my initial post, discouraging people to play more is not the way to go, and i am not alone with this opinion.
I want to feel progression (you may call it entitlement or whatever).
It actually doesn´t matter if we get more ectos in the end, what does matter is the bad taste in my mouth after completing fractal level 30 with 0 ectos to show for it (just as an example).

So the whole business model, if this even is one, falls flat, because the goal you want to reach “seems” not getting closer at the rate you want it to be.
A lot of people will simply stop playing, so no need for more content and no moneyz for anet.

Just let me put this out there:
If you spent two hours playing the game, for the goal of getting ectos, then getting none, does this make you go —> yeah, no dice, i´ll better keep playing! or does it make you think about playing another session, because you can´t feel any progression at all?

Why no guaranteed ectos?

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

“50% chance to get rarer materials.” It means when salvaging something that you usually get mithril from, you have a 50% higher chance to get orichalcum.

Salvaging ectos has the same rate if you use a rare, mystic or black lion kit. I used to salvage in batches of 100 and after about a thousand salvages using a mystic kit, I found it to be at around 85% to get 1 ecto. Out of my batches of 100, the worst was around 60, while the best was almost 1:1.

One thing I noticed was failing to get an ecto could happen 10+ times in a row when quickly salvaging. After seeing this happen a few times, I began to pause for a few minutes after every 3rd fail. I havn’t seen long strings of failure since. Not sure if coincidence, pseudo RNG failure or if ArenaNet uses a predetermined loot table like some other games.

(edited by Healix.5819)

Why no guaranteed ectos?

Posted by: Sharkinu.8096

Sharkinu.8096

You get 9 ectos from 10 salvages because sometimes you get more than one ecto from a salvage. The Master Kit has 25% chance of giving you at least one ecto.

Why no guaranteed ectos?

Posted by: CobaltSixty.1542

CobaltSixty.1542

You get 9 ectos from 10 salvages because sometimes you get more than one ecto from a salvage. The Master Kit has 25% chance of giving you at least one ecto.

No it doesn’t. That 25% is the chance to get orichalcum, ancient wood, hardened leather and gossamer.

You can get globs of ectoplasm using crude salvage kits which have 0% chance at rarer materials.

Why no guaranteed ectos?

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

No it doesn’t. That 25% is the chance to get orichalcum, ancient wood, hardened leather and gossamer.

You can get globs of ectoplasm using crude salvage kits which have 0% chance at rarer materials.

That isn’t true at all. The return rate on ectos using a Mystic Salvage kit is Half that of a BLK. Which of course makes sense since Mystic is 25% and BL is 50%.

Per 25 uses I get an average of 30 ectos from the BLK and 12 ectos from the Mystic Kit. (works out to less then half because less successful rolls on getting an ecto also means less chances to get more then 1 ecto so you get hit harder then you would expect)

Why no guaranteed ectos?

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

What i wanted to say in my initial post, discouraging people to play more is not the way to go, and i am not alone with this opinion.
It actually doesn´t matter if we get more ectos in the end, what does matter is the bad taste in my mouth after completing fractal level 30 with 0 ectos to show for it (just as an example).

So the whole business model, if this even is one, falls flat, because the goal you want to reach “seems” not getting closer at the rate you want it to be.
A lot of people will simply stop playing, so no need for more content and no moneyz for anet.

If you spent two hours playing the game, for the goal of getting ectos, then getting none, does this make you go —> yeah, no dice, i´ll better keep playing! or does it make you think about playing another session, because you can´t feel any progression at all?

If all you’re playing for is ectos, I think you’re looking at it wrong. I just ran the fractals, low level. I got some okay drops, but no ectos. However, I made close to 2 gold at the end of the run. If I bank half of it, I can still buy 3 ectos.

No way you could keep running fractals and not make some money. If you’re just waiting for ectos from salvages, and not counting anything else you’ve gotten, then the fault is yours.

Why no guaranteed ectos?

Posted by: My Dead Characters.9517

My Dead Characters.9517

nope, cause its 25% 3 times, 3 for each ecto possiblee in a rare, and 25% 5 times for exotics, 1 for each ecto. if it truely was 25%, the mechanic would most definitly be broken.

Commander Legends of Woe
fissure of woe
Leader of legends of traumatic stuff[LoTs]

Why no guaranteed ectos?

Bloodstealer.5978

You are playing the game for a singular purpose… and if your unable to take failure on the chin then dont play the game of chance.
There is nothing wrong with RNG, its there for a reason … and the rules are staring you openly in the face risk it for a bigger reward or lose out the value of the item in game or on the TP.
What you are saying does not make any sense.. you choose to grind content over and over with a view to amassing Ecto’s.. but at the same time you are grinding the RNG game over and over with Salvage kits knowing full well that it carries a risk that has always been there and is in any MMO that I have ever played.
But becuase you have caught a few bad rolls you now want some form of guaranteed return, which in essence negates the need for RNG so the economy will become adversely affected and other players will launch themselves on to the forums whinning that they cant make any gold now with all the Ecto’s, etc they have farmed cos lets not forget that salvge kits are not just in the game for retieving Ecto’s, unless you want to have every item affected by RNG to be given a level playing field.
I would hazard a guess the game retains more players over a period of time with a chance of failure inherant to the mechanics than it will if everything became so much easywin to get hold of to the point we’re bored with nothing to log in for until the next update lands and with it a few more hours gameplay till its exhausted again.

Personally I would love to be able to spend £1 a week on my lottery ticket safe in the knowledge that I will at least get my money back if I dont match the minimum 3 of the 6 winning numbers the RNG system spurts out but I am sure that will never happen in my lifetime

(edited by Bloodstealer.5978)

Why no guaranteed ectos?

Posted by: Darkdanjal.3401

Darkdanjal.3401

Because OP, its the most rediculous system ever, even when you salvage with mystic or black lion there is still no garenteed drop of ectos or more ectos….

Everything you would do in the mystic forge is the same, some are recipes that are constant, others like for example precursers are just a gamble, trust me I know….

Why no guaranteed ectos?

Posted by: Tobran.6542

Tobran.6542

imagine what the price of T5 Materials would go to… Shudder

Tobran Earnwood – Level 80 Human Ranger
Aurora Glade – [RDDT]
http://www.youtube.com/user/TobranEarnwood

Why no guaranteed ectos?

Posted by: somsom.5201

somsom.5201

“50% chance to get rarer materials.” It means when salvaging something that you usually get mithril from, you have a 50% higher chance to get orichalcum.

Salvaging ectos has the same rate if you use a rare, mystic or black lion kit. I used to salvage in batches of 100 and after about a thousand salvages using a mystic kit, I found it to be at around 85% to get 1 ecto. Out of my batches of 100, the worst was around 60, while the best was almost 1:1.

One thing I noticed was failing to get an ecto could happen 10+ times in a row when quickly salvaging. After seeing this happen a few times, I began to pause for a few minutes after every 3rd fail. I havn’t seen long strings of failure since. Not sure if coincidence, pseudo RNG failure or if ArenaNet uses a predetermined loot table like some other games.

I’ve noticed this as well and I’ve started pausing for a few seconds between salvages. It seems like when I super fast click through stuff I end up with less than 1:1, but if I spread it out a bit I usually average 1:1 or greater.

Why no guaranteed ectos?

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

I guess I’m just lucky as I pretty much do ALWAYS get an ecto from salviging rares. I have literally only not got any from one salvage of the last 50-ish. I often get 2-3 so I am def getting more than a 1-1 %. Of course I am using black lion trading kits.

Are you all REALLY having as much bad luck as you say?

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Why no guaranteed ectos?

TheRudeDude.1596

You are playing the game for a singular purpose… and if your unable to take failure on the chin then dont play the game of chance.
There is nothing wrong with RNG, its there for a reason … and the rules are staring you openly in the face risk it for a bigger reward or lose out the value of the item in game or on the TP.
What you are saying does not make any sense.. you choose to grind content over and over with a view to amassing Ecto’s.. but at the same time you are grinding the RNG game over and over with Salvage kits knowing full well that it carries a risk that has always been there and is in any MMO that I have ever played.
But becuase you have caught a few bad rolls you now want some form of guaranteed return, which in essence negates the need for RNG so the economy will become adversely affected and other players will launch themselves on to the forums whinning that they cant make any gold now with all the Ecto’s, etc they have farmed cos lets not forget that salvge kits are not just in the game for retieving Ecto’s, unless you want to have every item affected by RNG to be given a level playing field.
I would hazard a guess the game retains more players over a period of time with a chance of failure inherant to the mechanics than it will if everything became so much easywin to get hold of to the point we’re bored with nothing to log in for until the next update lands and with it a few more hours gameplay till its exhausted again.

Personally I would love to be able to spend £1 a week on my lottery ticket safe in the knowledge that I will at least get my money back if I dont match the minimum 3 of the 6 winning numbers the RNG system spurts out but I am sure that will never happen in my lifetime

I don´t play the game for ectos only, i play because it still makes fun.
Either way, this has nothing to do with wanting to feel progression.
RNG is there for a reason, yes, because its the easy way out for developers.
Why people keep running the same dungeon over and over again?
Because they know what they will get in the end, with some added drops.
If tokens were rng based, i can guarantee you we would see a lot less action in dungeons.

I wouldn´t mind if ectos were account-bound, at least this way the economy would not be depended on a single item so much.

If everyone would stop salvaging because they have had a bad streak, where would you get your ectos then, hmm?
I am refusing to see this as a valid option, farming gold and buying the items you really want instead.
As i said before, i like to get my stuff by playing the game, not the tp!

And please, stop with those real life comparisons, they have absolutely no place in here.
This is a game, and most people play it for fun, not to have bad luck and get a slap in the face after few hours of playtime, instead of having fun reaching a goal.

Why no guaranteed ectos?

Posted by: Ethics.4519

Ethics.4519

That isn’t true at all. The return rate on ectos using a Mystic Salvage kit is Half that of a BLK. Which of course makes sense since Mystic is 25% and BL is 50%.

Per 25 uses I get an average of 30 ectos from the BLK and 12 ectos from the Mystic Kit. (works out to less then half because less successful rolls on getting an ecto also means less chances to get more then 1 ecto so you get hit harder then you would expect)

Oh the lies and false information! Your sample size of 30 out of the entire population is rather…. rather poor.

RIP in peace Robert

Why no guaranteed ectos?

Posted by: drwookie.6391

drwookie.6391

At least you have rares and exotics to salvage after many of your fractal runs.

I can spend an equal amount of time in WvW (or 10 times longer) and still not get a single rare. Heck I haven’t had a rare drop in over 2 weeks of playing WvW daily.

And on the real topic: if your argument is that nothing would change by making them guaranteed…than why do it? Clearly something would change, because it’s a change you want.

Why no guaranteed ectos?

Bloodstealer.5978

I don´t play the game for ectos only, i play because it still makes fun.
Either way, this has nothing to do with wanting to feel progression.
RNG is there for a reason, yes, because its the easy way out for developers.
Why people keep running the same dungeon over and over again?
Because they know what they will get in the end, with some added drops.
If tokens were rng based, i can guarantee you we would see a lot less action in dungeons.

I wouldn´t mind if ectos were account-bound, at least this way the economy would not be depended on a single item so much.

If everyone would stop salvaging because they have had a bad streak, where would you get your ectos then, hmm?
I am refusing to see this as a valid option, farming gold and buying the items you really want instead.
As i said before, i like to get my stuff by playing the game, not the tp!

And please, stop with those real life comparisons, they have absolutely no place in here.
This is a game, and most people play it for fun, not to have bad luck and get a slap in the face after few hours of playtime, instead of having fun reaching a goal.

Seems someone also failed their RNG humour roll as well

You keep saying you like to get your stuff playing the game… as do the majority of players.. difference being you are playing the game in order to then throw it all in to the risk reward game as well. That is not a fault of the game its your failure to be able to take the rough with the smooth.
Dont get me wrong I enjoy crunching rares down for the chance of some goodies and like you I have been here since beta and have 1000+ hrs invested in my fun fix.. I have some some exotics, a single weapon skin and no Legendary, with 7 Alts, but do I care, not at all… though I know from past experience my luck is so bad I probably wont see a Legendary for another 12 months anyway.
Thing is playing the game is the fun bit for me, but I consider Salavaging, Mystic Forge and the TP all part of the fun and I dont get hung up on bad rolls in fact I would likely of left the game a whiles back if that was all I was doing.

BTW where did the playerbase say they were leaving because of a streak of bad RNG’s.
I would like to think the majority of us players that salvage items, not just rares/exotics understand the risks involved – Sometimes you just need to dust yourself off and try again. Whinning on forums cos you had a few bad RNG’s is really not indicative of someone who is enjoying getting their stuff playing the RNG game continuously

Why no guaranteed ectos?

Posted by: Geotherma.2395

Geotherma.2395

Kit quality: research suggests that more expensive kits are more likely to produce ecto, with the odds being roughly three times the “chance of rarer materials,” e.g. a Master’s Salvage Kit (25% chance of rarer materials) will yield an average of 0.75 ecto/item.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Glob_of_Ectoplasm

Intel i7 3.9ghz processor 16GB Ram 2TB HDD
Nvidia GTX 650 Win 7 64bit FFXI 4+yrs/Aion 4+ years Complete Noob~ Veteran OIF/OEF
http://everyonesgrudge.enjin.com/home MY GW2 Music http://tinyurl.com/cm4o6tu

Why no guaranteed ectos?

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

Oh the lies and false information! Your sample size of 30 out of the entire population is rather…. rather poor.

i’m not sure where you got a sample size of 30? you do know what an average is right? My sample size still isn’t that great, it’s about 1000 ectos worth but it certainly isn’t 30 lol.

Also I don’t really need a sample size, it is something that has been proven over and over again, you can either believe it or not, but it doesn’t change the truth so by all means do whatever you desire.

Next you people will start trying to convince people that it is a roll on each ecto chance and not a single roll followed by a second roll for the # of ectos lol.