I believe that Precursors should be sold in the Gem Store

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: illgot.1056

illgot.1056

I have money but not a lot of time to quit work and play games at random times for events like this last one.

I actually missed every major event and my server was bugged on the initial CCC quest so could not even participate with the donations.

Knowing that the last event dropped Legendaries for a lot of people, why not just sell the Precursors on the cash shop?

Make it a cash only transaction (or develop a special gem which can not be bought with in game gold) because you know a lot of people will only buy gold from third party sites gaining four times their dollars value versus going through ANet.

What are Precursors and Legendaries but fluff? Since gear progression is going to be the focus of the game now, why not give people that have more money than time the ability to purchase items at a set price that is competitive.

Right now, you can pay 300 dollars for enough gems to buy 250 gold. Or you can pay 75 dollars for 300 gold at third party sites. ANet can not compete with those rates and they lose customers and money every time a third party sites makes a sale.

But if ANet were to set up a cash only gem shop (no buying these gems with gold) they can directly compete with the third party sites while selling the Precursor weapons, Legendary skins, or what ever they wish. Bind these items to the purchasers account and they now have an item which will not enter the in game economy.

I do not advocate third party sites. They are a bane to legitimate players and cheat out companies which develop games. But I have to be realistic enough to understand that a good portion of players are too selfish to understand this concept and still purchase gold.

I am part of a demographic where I will not pay 300 dollars to obtain a precursor (I would pay maybe 100 to 150 dollars) but I also will not use a third party site.

These are the players ANet is losing money on. People like me and people that shop at third party sites. But if they could offer what players want at a competitive rate with the knowledge that their account would be secure, ANet would profit and all players would profit due to greater development.

• Items will be sold at a competitive price to gold sites because items can only be purchased through ANet with cash only sale. Or through a special “gem” that can only be purchased with real money and not in game gold.
  • Items will be account bound and will never enter the in game market.
  • ANet will profit which means everyone will experience more game content faster.
  • Since Precursors and Legendaries is no longer the focus of end game, it makes no sense to restrict such sales.

(edited by illgot.1056)

Posted by: TimeBomb.3427

TimeBomb.3427

No. No. No. No. And no. Legendary items are hard to get for a reason. Because they are legendary.

Posted by: Tiborb.1453

Tiborb.1453

Not.At.All.
You have the money but not the time to play? Buy a slave to play for you! ù_ù

[LOCK] The Closed Society – Seafarer’s Rest

Posted by: GrapeGatsby.6937

GrapeGatsby.6937

If you have the money you can certainly buy it just buy gems and trade for gold, problem solved.

illgot.1056

No. No. No. No.

why? Now I will agree, anything like this bought off the cash shop should automatically be account bound so they do not mess up the in game economy.

But really, what effect does this have on your game? Will someone with a Precursor best you because they have a better weapon?

I understand in game jealousy, I experienced that every time I knew the event was happening while I was at work.

Put simply,

This will have no effect on your game if the precursors are account bound on purchase.

This will give ANet another source of money.

This will make people like me, who have more money than time, a reason to keep playing.

I could purchase gems, then convert that to gold and purchase it that way, but I would end up purchasing the gold from a gold seller (like many do) and gain 4 times the value.

No, I want a direct cash purchase with ANet where the price is set and not constantly fluctuating.

(edited by illgot.1056)

GrapeGatsby.6937

No. No. No. No.

why? Now I will agree, anything like this bought off the cash shop should automatically be account bound so they do not mess up the in game economy.

But really, what effect does this have on your game? Will someone with a Precursor best you because they have a better weapon?

I understand in game jealousy, I experienced that every time I knew the event was happening while I was at work.

Put simply,

This will have no effect on your game if the precursors are account bound on purchase.

This will make people like me, who have more money than time, a reason to keep playing.

I could purchase gems, then convert that to gold and purchase it that way, but I would end up purchasing the gold from a gold seller (like many do) and gain 4 times the value.

No, I want a direct cash purchase with ANet.

Ok Arena.net put the precursor on the gem store matching the current average price for currency exchange at the highest seller for the precursor on TP problem solved, nice try at trolling but might want to work on your technique it’s rather lacking.

Posted by: Vorch.2985

Vorch.2985

No. No. No. No.

Put simply,

Legendary weapons are supposed to reflect some level of in game effort.

What you are saying is that if ANet doesn’t allow a method of circumventing that effort, you will threaten to purchase gold from gold sellers…not a great way of making your case.

Here’s what people thought of GW1 when it first came out: http://tinyurl.com/bntcvyc
“A release is 7 days or less away or has just happened within the last 7 days…
These are the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria.”

Posted by: Reikou.7068

Reikou.7068

I support this initiative.

Don’t particularly care for a legendary myself, however, I don’t see any reason why NOT to sell these on the cash shop. If anything, these would probably be a very good source of income for anet so they can actually put out some quality content.

Reikou/Reira/Iroha/Sengiku/Rinoka/Kuruse/Sakuho/Kinae/Yuzusa/Kikurin/Otoha/Hasue/Mioko
https://www.youtube.com/AilesDeLumiere
http://www.twitch.tv/ailesdelumiere

GrapeGatsby.6937

I support this initiative.

Don’t particularly care for a legendary myself, however, I don’t see any reason why NOT to sell these on the cash shop. If anything, these would probably be a very good source of income for anet so they can actually put out some quality content.

Currency exchange please note the features within the game.

Posted by: TimeBomb.3427

TimeBomb.3427

Why don’t I support this, you ask? Because it’s too much to just sell in the cash shop. It takes too much time and energy to get it. Obviously that’s a bias, but it’s one that I believe many, many people will agree with.

Mind you, they’re working on making precursors easier to get from what I have been hearing. But there’s also the issue of, even if the precursors are account bound, the prices in the TP will still be fixed to the amount of gold it costs to get that many gems. That’s too much control over the TP.

Legendaries should be difficult to get. If you really want it, then either spend the time to get it, or convert gems to gold. The price in precursors is going down a bit anyway, and assuming ArenaNet sticks to their word and continues trying to make precursors not as difficult to get as they have been, it’ll continue dropping.

Posted by: lunabaguna.8293

lunabaguna.8293

You can already buy precursors using the cash shop:

1) buy gems
2) sell gems for gold
3) buy precursor from TP
4) profit

illgot.1056

No. No. No. No.

Put simply,

Legendary weapons are supposed to reflect some level of in game effort.

What you are saying is that if ANet doesn’t allow a method of circumventing that effort, you will threaten to purchase gold from gold sellers…not a great way of making your case.

I won’t ever purchase gold from gold sites, they are outside the rules and really hurt ANet. They actually hurt every player in game because they drive up the economy which only has negative effects on legitimate players.

I do know a lot of players buy gold from these sites and convert those to gems or just use the gold to purchase what they wish at a competitive rate ANet can not match (because the gold sites would just undercut them).

Knowing this and understanding people does not mean I will ever purchase money from a third party site for any game I play.

What I want is a direct route to purchase some of the “work” which is really just random luck at the Mystic Forge. And yes, later on I will want to purchase some nice looking armor skins and completely circumvent the grind. But for this to happen ANet really needs to develop a system which only allows cash purchases (not gem or gold converting to stop third party gold sites).

Posted by: xiv.7136

xiv.7136

This whole thread is strange.

They DO sell precursors on the cash shop.

Buy gems with real money on the cash shop, buy gold with gems, buy precursor from trader.

Voila, you just bought a precursor from the gem store, effectively.

Or are you asking for precursors to be cheaper to buy from the store than they currently are?

In which case, no, they are already at the free market price on the trader.

illgot.1056

This whole thread is strange.

They DO sell precursors on the store.

Buy gems with real money, buy gold with gems, buy precursor from trader.

Voila, you just bought a precursor from the gem store, effectively.

Or are you asking for precursors to be cheaper to buy from the store than they currently are?

In which case, no, they are already at the free market price on the trader.

I am asking for ANet to develop a direct cash offer which has a set price. Buying gems and converting to gold really only benefits people that buy gold from third party sites.

lunabaguna.8293

I prefer a free market to a regulated price point. Is the OP a communist?

GrapeGatsby.6937

Oh yeah and you said you wanted a set price, did you also want to be the one to set this price? Because they could just set it at a higher price than the currency exchange value of precursors.

Posted by: Zoid.2568

Zoid.2568

No. No. No. No. And no. Legendary items are hard to get for a reason. Because they are legendary.

That’s why so many got it last night from the event chest. Some got a named weapon and some got screwed and kittened over.

lunabaguna.8293

setting the price higher on the gem store would encourage tp sellers to raise costs, further inflating the market. Setting them lower would hurt in game sellers, removing a source of income and likely driving them to buy gold from other sources, also inflating the market. Bad idea either way.

If you dont have time to farm, legendaries arent for you. You dont have to be able to experience every part of the game.

illgot.1056

Oh yeah and you said you wanted a set price, did you also want to be the one to set this price? Because they could just set it at a higher price than the currency exchange value of precursors.

ANet could set the Precursors at more than 300 dollars, but I am not sure how many people would purchase them at that rate. That is the current conversion at 250 gold.

And yes I do want it cheaper than that, maybe 100 to 150 dollars.

After all I will be purchasing directly from ANet at a sensible cost. Not paying a third party site 75 dollars for 300 gold.

(edited by illgot.1056)

Posted by: replicant.3620

replicant.3620

You are already able to buy most things in the game with RMT via Gem to Gold conversion as has been pointed out. Anet is already tweaking the economy here and there plus people exploiting various dungeons/events and simply farming gold to sell for RL Cash have it messed up as well. So, we don’t need more gestapo actions on the economy unless it’s a full reset.

Peralta | 80 Human Necromancer | Pain Train Choo [Choo] | Sanctum of Rall

illgot.1056

You are already able to buy most things in the game with RMT via Gem to Gold conversion as has been pointed out. Anet is already tweaking the economy here and there plus people exploiting various dungeons/events and simply farming gold to sell for RL Cash have it messed up as well. So, we don’t need more gestapo actions on the economy unless it’s a full reset.

Right now, you can pay 300 dollars for enough gems to buy 250 gold. Or you can pay 75 dollars for 300 gold at third party sites. ANet can not compete with those rates and they lose customers and money every time a third party sites makes a sale.

But if ANet were to set up a cash only gem shop (no buying these gems with gold) they can directly compete with the third party sites while selling the Precursor weapons, Legendary skins, or what ever they wish. Bind these items to the purchasers account and they now have an item which will not enter the in game economy.

I do not advocate third party sites. They are a bane to legitimate players and cheat out companies which develop games. But I have to be realistic enough to understand that a good portion of players are too selfish to understand this concept and still purchase gold.

I am part of a demographic where I will not pay 300 dollars to obtain a precursor (I would pay maybe 100 to 150 dollars) but I also will not use a third party site.

These are the players ANet is losing money on. People like me and people that shop at third party sites. But if they could offer what players want at a competitive rate with the knowledge that their account would be secure, ANet would profit and all players would profit due to greater development.

(edited by illgot.1056)

Posted by: Fuz.5621

Fuz.5621

But… they DO sell them in the cash shop.
Buy gems→convert to gold→buy precursor.
P2W at its finest.

Posted by: Diablo.9301

Diablo.9301

Give it a few months. I’m quite certain that the step after adding a grindy gear treadmill that is too much for casual players will be to add items to the cashshop. That way casuals can still keep up. That will be a nice steady source of income for Arenanet.

Posted by: Ballistic.4531

Ballistic.4531

Sweet! I like how people justify pay 2 win options. It’s rather interesting.
So, while at it, why not add legendary to the cash shop? You are still effectively buying it from the cash shop with buying gems?
The way this game and it’s users are headed it will be the fail MMO of the year.

This world needs more people being frank and less people being offended.

illgot.1056

So, while at it, why not add legendary to the cash shop? You are still effectively buying it from the cash shop with buying gems?
The way this game and it’s users are headed it will be the fail MMO of the year.

Pay to win? Precursors and Legendaries have no more power than an exotic which in game can run 5-10 gold. This is far from pay to win when you are paying for basically a skin.

If you want real pay to win, check out some of the Asian or European MMOs which sell weapons and armor (and even skills) which are better than anything you can obtain in game.

Ballistic.4531

Pay to win? Precursors and Legendaries have no more power than an exotic which in game can run 5-10 gold. This is far from pay to win when you are paying for basically a skin.

If you want real pay to win, check out some of the Asian or European MMOs which sell weapons and armor (and even skills) which are better than anything you can obtain in game.

But why make it complicated by adding precursors, then mats, then exos…? Why not directly add legendary weaps to the cash shop?

illgot.1056

But why make it complicated by adding precursors, then mats, then exos…? Why not directly add legendary weaps to the cash shop?

Actually I fully expect Precursors Weapons and Legendary skins to be sold on the cash shop when a new set of Precursors and Legendaries rolls out.

I also expect a lot of new armor skins to be released in the cash shop as well.

Why? Because people like me will easily drop 1-2k a year on a game they enjoy playing. And guess what, these skins have absolutely no negative effect on your game other than the jealously you will not or can not afford them.

That same jealously conversely exists in players like me, those that have more money than time and would like to enjoy an aspect of the game without going to a third party site for gold.

I dislike third party gold sellers because they have inflated the market to the point even ANet realized how many casual players are being left out.

Another note, even though I can spend a lot of money on a game, I will only do so if I feel I am getting a fair value for what I spend. 300 dollars to convert enough gems to buy a precursor is not a value. 100-150 dollars for a precursor bought directly from ANet to me is a great value and insures ANet will get the money, not a third party gold seller.

(edited by illgot.1056)

Posted by: Pants.8315

Pants.8315

Just no,

Nothing on the cash shop should be more valuable than anything on it now.

Currently everything on it is affordable with a couple of days of grinding gold in game.

If you want to buy the current in-game precursors, you can buy gems and buy them straight from the trade post, this adds convenience to the grind to get a legendary, but doesn’t mean that people without a lot of real life money wouldn’t be able to achieve it with a hefty amount of time investment.

What you are suggesting with regards to “competing” with gold sellers shouldn’t be the way to go. Anet shouldn’t have to compete, they should be working towards eradicating this kind of behavior. Buying gold should be as harshly punished as selling it, so the risk of buying gold and getting caught and banned is high enough that people don’t do it, and push the gold sellers out of the market.

illgot.1056

Just no,

Nothing on the cash shop should be more valuable than anything on it now.

Currently everything on it is affordable with a couple of days of grinding gold in game.

If you want to buy the current in-game precursors, you can buy gems and buy them straight from the trade post, this adds convenience to the grind to get a legendary, but doesn’t mean that people without a lot of real life money wouldn’t be able to achieve it with a hefty amount of time investment.

What you are suggesting with regards to “competing” with gold sellers shouldn’t be the way to go. Anet shouldn’t have to compete, they should be working towards eradicating this kind of behavior. Buying gold should be as harshly punished as selling it, so the risk of buying gold and getting caught and banned is high enough that people don’t do it, and push the gold sellers out of the market.

I fully agree, ANet should not have to complete with gold sellers, and if they did not I doubt the conversion rate from gems to gold would be so poor and items on the TP would not cost as much as they do.

But the reality is that ANet and every other game company out there has to compete with the third party gold sellers. No company can compete with those sites because they use illegal means to obtain both the game accounts and in game money.

We have to deal with reality, not what should happen in a completely fair world.

And yes, ANet should definitely sell more weapon skins, armor skins, and mini pets on the cash shop. It is the only way they make money to support GW2 and other game development.

So much kittening butthurt over random drops from a chest. Anet try to do something awesome and twats like you bleat because you didn’t get in on it.

I love this game. I really do and will be playing it for months, perhaps years, to come despite it’s flaws. However, popping a pre-cursor directly in the gem shop will make me walk.

and if by chance you do leave just because of this, players like me will spend hundreds and thousands to make up for what you may have spent.

I remember when WoW released their Celestial Mount. Players stated they were leaving because it invalidated all their hard work grinding gold for their top tier mount. I wonder how many people actually left.

What I do know is that in the first 4 hours Blizzard made over 2 million dollars. I think that kind of money made up for the hand full of people that actually left World of Warcraft just because they started selling mounts on their cash shop.

(edited by illgot.1056)

Ballistic.4531

Actually I fully expect Precursors Weapons and Legendary skins to be sold on the cash shop when a set set of Precursors and Legendaries rolls out.

Why? Because people like me will easily drop 1-2k a year on a game they enjoy playing. And guess what, these skins have absolutely no negative effect on your game other than the jealously you will not or can not afford them.

That same jealously conversely exists in players like me, those that have more money than time and would like to enjoy an aspect of the game without going to a third party site for gold.

So you’re basically telling me that elitist mentality, or should I say WoW mentality, should be supported and rewarded?
I’m all in for selling skins in the cash shop. Heck, I even purred money into cash shop for skins. That’s not the issue. I also think the devs should be supported by paying them money. I would be more than glad to pay subs if they asked. But not with all this kitten going around.
I don’t want to e-pe*n with you or anyone else. I don’t care. But apparently that’s what you want. Enjoying aspect of the game? What aspect? Buying the ultimate skin from the cash shop? I don’t want next time I login someone to start e-pe*ning with me. That’s why I ran from other games.
The issue is that you shouldn’t have the option to buy high-end gear from the cash shop, be it cosmetics or stats. And if you are in for selling Legendary, why not sell Ascended too? But seeing people actually wanting gear-treadmills, gear scores, raids and p2w options, Anet might as well give them to you.

(edited by Ballistic.4531)

illgot.1056

Actually I fully expect Precursors Weapons and Legendary skins to be sold on the cash shop when a set set of Precursors and Legendaries rolls out.

So you’re basically telling me that elitist mentality, or should I say WoW mentality, should be supported and rewarded?
I’m all in for selling skins in the cash shop. Heck, I even purred money into cash shop for skins. That’s not the issue. I also think the devs should be supported by paying them money. I would be more than glad to pay subs if they asked. But not with all this kitten going around.
I don’t want to e-pe*n with you or anyone else. I don’t care. But apparently that’s what you want. Enjoying aspect of the game? What aspect? Buying the ultimate skin from the cash shop? I don’t want next time I login someone to start e-pe*ning with me. That’s why I ran from other games.
The issue is that you shouldn’t have the option to buy high-end gear from the cash shop, be it cosmetics or stats. And if you are in for selling Legendary, why not sell Ascended too? But seeing people actually wanting gear-treadmills, gear scores, raids and p2w options, Anet might as well give them to you.

If ANet just sold nice weapon skins and armor skins (did not have to be Precursors or Legendaries) I would be extactic. Personally I do not like the Legendaries, I love a few of the precursor skins though.

And yes, I see GW2 going the way of gear treadmills, which is why selling skins, even those of Precursors and Legendaries makes sense. These items have no direct effect on combat and little effect on the games economy if they are account bound (considering that ANet wants Precursors and Legendaries to be easier to obtain).

And if people still want to be elitist in game, they can do so by grinding out gear for stats endlessly.

The main reason I do not play as much as I could when I have free time is that I really hate the way all my characters look. Appearance to me is more important than having the best stats. If I can not enjoy the way my character looks I do not bother playing, but I am more than willing to pay for the looks I enjoy as long as it is a fair value.

(edited by illgot.1056)

Ballistic.4531

If ANet just sold nice weapon skins and armor skins (did not have to be Precursors or Legendaries) I would be extactic. Personally I do not like the Legendaries, I love a few of the precursor skins though.

I’m all for this! If you ask me I think there should be lots and lots of skins in the cash shop. But unique ones, that can’t otherwise be found in the game.

And yes, I see GW2 going the way of gear treadmills, which is why selling skins, even those of Precursors and Legendaries makes sense. These items have no direct effect on combat and little effect on the games economy if they are account bound (considering that ANet wants Precursors and Legendaries to be easier to obtain).

And if people still want to be elitist in game, they can do so by grinding out gear for stats endlessly.

Unfortunately, I agree with you. That’s the way this game has taken.
There would be no grinding for stats without this latest patch. Just grinding for the Legendary skin if you want it. And that’s the whole point IMO. The latest patch just divides the community, through elitism.

illgot.1056

I’m all for this! If you ask me I think there should be lots and lots of skins in the cash shop. But unique ones, that can’t otherwise be found in the game.

There would be no grinding for stats without this latest patch. Just grinding for the Legendary skin if you want it. And that’s the whole point IMO. The latest patch just divides the community, through elitism.

Right, I would not even suggest selling Precursors or Legendaries if that was end game. But it is no longer end game and it seems like ANet really wants to make these items more common. Hell, in the last event they were basically handing out Legendary items.

But Precursors and Legendaries is not end game, and I expect ANet to introduce more Precursors and Legendary items with in the year. Why not just sell them in the cash shop directly for cash at a competitive value? Give ANet more money, stop people from buying gold from third party sites, and make players with more money than time happy.

Ballistic.4531

Right, I would not even suggest selling Precursors or Legendaries if that was end game. But it is no longer end game and it seems like ANet really wants to make these items more common. Hell, in the last event they were basically handing out Legendary items.

But Precursors and Legendaries is not end game, and I expect ANet to introduce more Precursors and Legendary items with in the year. Why not just sell them in the cash shop directly for cash at a competitive value? Give ANet more money, stop people from buying gold from third party sites, and make players with more money than time happy.

I’m not economy specialist (not even close) but if Anet was selling Legendary weapons and Precursors at the cash shop, wouldn’t they dictate the price then? All the ones at TP would have to adjust their prices to reflect this being sold in CS.
Free economy?

illgot.1056

I’m not economy specialist (not even close) but if Anet was selling Legendary weapons and Precursors at the cash shop, wouldn’t they dictate the price then? All the ones at TP would have to adjust their prices to reflect this being sold in CS.
Free economy?

It should have little direct effect on the economy. Increasing the drop rates of Precursors and handing out Legendaries at the end of events has a greater effect than selling those same items on their cash shop for cash only.

As long as the items are account bound when bought, can only be purchase with real life money (no converting gold to gems), and cost around 100-150 dollars, it should have minimal direct effects on the economy.

It will have a psychological effect though. People that are over pricing their Legendaries so that only the top percent of players can afford them will now have to price according to what people are willing to pay in game for gold versus paying in cash.

Personally I would never be able to afford 250 gold for a precursor. I also will not spend 300 dollars to buy gems and convert that into 250 gold. But I will spend 100-150 dollars to buy the precursor or legendary skin directly from ANet.

I would rather spend 15 or so dollars just for the Precursor skin honestly as I think the Legendaries are gaudy.

(edited by illgot.1056)

Posted by: Perverius.9805

Perverius.9805

I did real almost all of it and you guys don’t make any sense. The OP is just suggesting that ANET makes profit on something that already happens but only swindlers are getting their share. Not gonna explain it to you cause he is kittening right and kittening clear though no one seems to be able to comprehend it.

Posted by: sushihead.9360

sushihead.9360

Allow players to purchase high end weapon skins?

That makes no sense because now you are telling us all our legendaries are meaningless. It doesn’t matter if I bought mine with gold from a gold seller, grinded it in game, or got lucky in the event, allowing people to just buy a legendary skin or precurser is a slap to all of that have already succeeded where the OP has failed.