Why oh Why?

Why oh Why?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: conflict.6539

conflict.6539

For two days in a row now, trying to complete the clockwork chaos missions, I have been stuck in overflow. Anet why do you not have the event in overflow? Why? I spent the whole time yesterday in overflow and never got in before the event finished, I will not do that same stuff today. Put the events in overflow already, its bad enough I have to grind it out all the time, its worse when I am not able to do so due to your poor planning.

Why oh Why?

Posted by: foofad.5162

foofad.5162

I you miss the event by more than ten minutes you can’t do it. However, all overflows made within ten minutes of the event starting run the event concurrently. So… Don’t be late and you won’t have this problem.

Eilir Eirasdottir, Guardian, Tarnished Coast
Painbow.6059: Ignore what anyone else who doesn’t agree with me has said because its wrong.

Why oh Why?

Posted by: Wallace MacBix.2089

Wallace MacBix.2089

Of the 4-5 events I did, about 2-3 of them were in overflow, and they worked just fine.

I don’t know if you are encountering a bug or not, but they said that you are able to do the events in overflow if you map in within 10 min of it starting. If you miss that 10min window and then get put to a fresh overflow it will not start.

Why oh Why?

Posted by: Draygo.9473

Draygo.9473

If you have a guildmate in the home instance, join their party and attempt to join them in their instance. There is a little headroom on each of the zones to allow this.

Delarme
Apathy Inc [Ai]

Why oh Why?

conflict.6539

Im not even going to get into an argument with fanbois. So I get on 1 minute after the 10 minute timer, and now I miss the entire event? seems pretty stupid. And no it doesnt work like that, because yesterday as soon as the icon popped saying there was action in the Iron Marches I went RIGHT there, not 10 minutes after, and I was put into an overflow that did not have the event. Regardless of someones delusion about how it works, it doesnt work correctly. Last patch introduced a lot of bugs, including particle effects going wonky.

Why oh Why?

Posted by: Shifu.4321

Shifu.4321

Well it’s SUPPOSED to work like that, so if doesn’t you should probably file a report.

Why oh Why?

Posted by: GrandmaFunk.3052

GrandmaFunk.3052

I wonder.. if an overflow shard was created for a zone before the event in the main zone started, would that not cause the overflow to not get the event?

ie: if ppl are predicting which zone is next and they jump the gun on rushing to it, they might be blocking themselves from getting the event.

GamersWithJobs [GWJ]
Northern Shiverpeaks

Why oh Why?

Posted by: The Talcmaster.7391

The Talcmaster.7391

There is a logistical issue why it works this way. Events take up to 45 minutes, and can start up to 10 minutes late. The invasion happens once an hour. that only gives 5 minutes between events. If they let anything within that hour start the events, then it would just turn into a mess really fast. It sucks, definitely, but at least there is a clearly understandable reason.

Fort Aspenwood – [fury], [SAO], [NICE]
Fun on someone else’s schedule is not fun

Why oh Why?

foofad.5162

Im not even going to get into an argument with fanbois. So I get on 1 minute after the 10 minute timer, and now I miss the entire event? seems pretty stupid. And no it doesnt work like that, because yesterday as soon as the icon popped saying there was action in the Iron Marches I went RIGHT there, not 10 minutes after, and I was put into an overflow that did not have the event. Regardless of someones delusion about how it works, it doesnt work correctly. Last patch introduced a lot of bugs, including particle effects going wonky.

“All overflow maps created within 10 minutes of the start of the invasion will host a concurrent version of that hour’s event.”

Ripped right out of the patch notes which I’m guessing you didn’t read. What am I again? A delusional fanboi? How about you stick your foot in your mouth where it belongs. :|

Painbow.6059: Ignore what anyone else who doesn’t agree with me has said because its wrong.

Why oh Why?

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

And no it doesnt work like that, because yesterday as soon as the icon popped saying there was action in the Iron Marches I went RIGHT there, not 10 minutes after, and I was put into an overflow that did not have the event.

Thing is, this is probably a bug (IF it actually happened) I always did all my events in Overflows and there was always an event running there, which works exactly as expected.

Why oh Why?

Posted by: JK Arrow.7102

JK Arrow.7102

There was a new build in the middle of one of the events. When I restarted the client there was no event going on in the overflow. Not a big deal and probably what ended up happening to you.

Why oh Why?

Posted by: locoman.1974

locoman.1974

The events happen in overflows, but within 10 minutes of it starting. That is to give a little cooldown time since the events last for 45 minutes, and happen every hour (if you join an overflow created exactly 10 minutes afterwards will leave you 5 minutes before the next event).

The events happen every hour on the hour, at least in Yak’s Bend (where I play) anytime the real time clock changes hours, then the event begins, check if it’s the same on your server (not sure if it’s the same in every server or each server has its own time), and if you’re out of time already (after 10 minutes since the hour), just ignore and wait for the next one. Or you can ask in guild chat if any guildie is doing it and maybe you could get invited to group and join their overflow, if it isn’t filled to capacity already.

And yep, last might there was a patch and server restart during one of the events, which meant that the event was restarted on main map but wasn’t in overflows, but worked ok on the next event, maybe that’s what happened to you.

It’s a pile of Elonian protection magic, mixed with a little monk training,
wrapped up in some crazy ritualist hoo-ha from Cantha.
A real grab bag of ‘you can’t hurt me. They’re called Guardians.

Why oh Why?

conflict.6539

“All overflow maps created within 10 minutes of the start of the invasion will host a concurrent version of that hour’s event.”

Ripped right out of the patch notes which I’m guessing you didn’t read. What am I again? A delusional fanboi? How about you stick your foot in your mouth where it belongs. :|

The only foot that needs to be in anyones mouth is yours. I said I am not going to get into an argument with fanbois like yourself about the current meta of 10 minutes, its stupid. The event is 45 minutes, and it consists nothing more than a bunch of people spamming attacks to grind out multiple enemies, with the real fight that happens at the end. 10 minutes is too short of a time, 20 minutes would be more appropriate. I never disputed how it worked, I just disputed how its stupid.

Why oh Why?

Posted by: locoman.1974

locoman.1974

The only foot that needs to be in anyones mouth is yours. I said I am not going to get into an argument with fanbois like yourself about the current meta of 10 minutes, its stupid. The event is 45 minutes, and it consists nothing more than a bunch of people spamming attacks to grind out multiple enemies, with the real fight that happens at the end. 10 minutes is too short of a time, 20 minutes would be more appropriate. I never disputed how it worked, I just disputed how its stupid.

But 20 minutes wouldn’t work the way it’s designed at least.

The event lasts for 45 minutes, and needs them, every time I’ve finished it was with 2 or 3 minutes left in the timer, and happen on a regular interval (every hour). The 10 minutes rule is to keep the event on the regular interval in the first place. If you join an overflow that has the event and was created exactly in the 10 minutes mark, it means that the event can take up to 55 minutes after it started, giving you 5 minutes of cooldown to salvage and/or sell loot, get consumables, repair gear and so on.

If they gave any more would mean that the timing would end up out of whack, one event still going when the next begins, fording people to choose between finishing the one they’re on or leaving for the new one (which would most likely mean the ones that stay will end up failing if they had a chance to succeed) unless they made them less frequent (1.5 hours, maybe?) which I doubt anyone would want in the first place.

You can just mark your clock, the events start every hour on the hour (at least on Yak’s Bend), so you know that if you missed the one that started at 7:00, you’ll be able to join the next one at 8:00, or the next at 9:00 and so on.

It’s a pile of Elonian protection magic, mixed with a little monk training,
wrapped up in some crazy ritualist hoo-ha from Cantha.
A real grab bag of ‘you can’t hurt me. They’re called Guardians.

(edited by locoman.1974)

Why oh Why?

Posted by: ProxyDamage.9826

ProxyDamage.9826

So I get on 1 minute after the 10 minute timer, and now I miss the entire event? seems pretty stupid.

“Man, I get to the place 1 minute after the closing time, and now I don’t get service???”

No. Deal with it. Don’t be late next time.

The events run every hour on the dot. 10 minutes is plenty.

Why oh Why?

Posted by: Theftwind.8976

Theftwind.8976

If you are in overflow and running the event when the “travel” comes up to take you to your home world STAY in overflow. If you leave and travel you will not get credit for the event.

Theftwind (HoD)

Why oh Why?

foofad.5162

I never disputed how it worked, I just disputed how its stupid.

Really?

Regardless of someones delusion about how it works, it doesnt work correctly.

Emphasis mine. How much deeper are you going to dig yourself?

Why oh Why?

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Nothing is perfect.

That said, this works the same way events and districting worked in GW1. If the new district was not made within the allotted time frame (usually 15 minutes) after the start of the event (which only happened every 3 hours mind you, not every hour) then that district didnt get the event.

They have to have a cut off line somewhere. Otherwise, there is the potential that these events could extend well beyond the hour window allotted to them.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Why oh Why?

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

Wait three days and join the people who are NOT compelled to finish every LS achievement within 48 hours of the patch going live. In five days you’ll never even see an overflow server.