Why pre order anyway?

Why pre order anyway?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Bellizare.5816

Bellizare.5816

Aside from the dubious pleasure of those wacky beta weekends, I really don’t see any reason to pre-order this turkey so far ahead of Thanksgiving.

Help me out here. What do you get for giving ANET your $ to play with while you wait for the expansion?

And how will you feel if they end up releasing a cheaper upgrade for existing accounts, or doing the deep discounts, after you loaned them around $100?

Why pre order anyway?

Posted by: CrimsonDX.4821

CrimsonDX.4821

1: I didn’t give them $100
2: I always pre-order games I want
3: I have no problem paying full price for a game I know I will enjoy, and that I know will be worth every penny.
4: I enjoyed the original beta weekends, and I want to be able to check out the HoT beta weekends.

Why pre order anyway?

Posted by: Xenon.4537

Xenon.4537

3: I have no problem paying full price for a game I know I will enjoy, and that I know will be worth every penny.
4: I enjoyed the original beta weekends, and I want to be able to check out the HoT beta weekends.

1. That’s fine.

2. Why not just buy them when they come out instead?

3. You don’t know you will enjoy it, you just believe you will.

4. That’s fine, and it’s the only objective reason to pre-order this product.

Why pre order anyway?

Bellizare.5816

I guess that I am confused then. I can pre-order with nothing down?

Why pre order anyway?

Posted by: BolkovonHarnfeldt.1372

BolkovonHarnfeldt.1372

Aside from the dubious pleasure of those wacky beta weekends, I really don’t see any reason to pre-order this turkey so far ahead of Thanksgiving.

Help me out here. What do you get for giving ANET your $ to play with while you wait for the expansion?

And how will you feel if they end up releasing a cheaper upgrade for existing accounts, or doing the deep discounts, after you loaned them around $100?

It isn’t even a pre-order (which you can cancel before the game ships if you decide the game isn’t for you after all) – it’s a pre-purchase. Once you pay you are locked in.
They try to get money for a product the details of which they haven’t revealed yet. Which is a bit shady if you ask me…

So much left that I wanted to see…

Why pre order anyway?

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

I believe that they’ve already revealed what HoT is going to have. There are not vast items they’re adding that they haven’t already mentioned or shown.

Why pre order anyway?

Posted by: TrcyMcgrdy.2317

TrcyMcgrdy.2317

Many other people aren’t willing to pay that much for what they aren’t sure about what will be given to them. YOU may be absolutely positive you will enjoy what little we know about HOT, while others aren’t so sure. Your 50 bucks is worth a different value than somebody else.

Why pre order anyway?

Posted by: Julie Yann.5379

Julie Yann.5379

cause some people like the feeling of buyers remorse.

Be careful what you wish for, Anet might just give it to you “HoT”
“…let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we shall die;.”

Why pre order anyway?

BolkovonHarnfeldt.1372

I believe that they’ve already revealed what HoT is going to have. There are not vast items they’re adding that they haven’t already mentioned or shown.

So how many zones exactly? How big? What story content? Will there be new dungeons? Raids? What about the promised tougher high-level content?
All of this is still being kept under wraps respectively is neither denied nor confirmed, or did I miss something?

Edit: Though, tbf, I should have worded it differently in the first post: Instead of “the details of” it should be “the full details of”

(edited by BolkovonHarnfeldt.1372)

Why pre order anyway?

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

I don’t think there are going to be any new dungeons, fractals, or raids. They’d have mentioned them already. Challenging group content is likely guild hall obtaining and new DEs in the HoT maps. Don’t know how many zones exactly, but I don’t believe there’s all this unknown content coming that hasn’t been mentioned.

Why pre order anyway?

BolkovonHarnfeldt.1372

I don’t think there are going to be any new dungeons, fractals, or raids. They’d have mentioned them already. Challenging group content is likely guild hall obtaining and new DEs in the HoT maps. Don’t know how many zones exactly, but I don’t believe there’s all this unknown content coming that hasn’t been mentioned.

But that’s my point, isn’kitten We don’t really know what we are supposed to be already buying (not ordering)

Edit: Really? “isn’t it” is a swearword now?

(edited by BolkovonHarnfeldt.1372)

Why pre order anyway?

Posted by: Julie Yann.5379

Julie Yann.5379

But that’s my point, isn’kitten We don’t really know what we are supposed to be already buying (not ordering)

Edit: Really? isn’ t it is a swearword now?

no but the part in bold is apparently

Be careful what you wish for, Anet might just give it to you “HoT”
“…let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we shall die;.”

Why pre order anyway?

Posted by: Lambent.6375

Lambent.6375

Well, if someone who actively purchases gems with real money gets the ultimate version, they’re really just paying $50 for the deluxe version instead of $75, and an additional $50 for 4k gems they would have bought anyway.

“Caithe, someday you’ll see, Tyria needs me. -Scarlet”

Why pre order anyway?

BolkovonHarnfeldt.1372

Edit: Really? isn’ *kitten is a swearword now?

no but the part in bold is apparently

And I thought it was a little bird

Why pre order anyway?

Posted by: MashMash.1645

MashMash.1645

Is that a joke? We know next to nothing about the content, yet they want our money now. No thanks. I might pay after they tell us exactly what we are getting.

I buy on facts, not dreams, hopes and promises.

Pre-Ordered HoT | Recently started to get what I paid for – may spend $$$

Why pre order anyway?

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

Beta weekends are enough for me to prepurchase. I like to preorder games just to get it out of the way when I know I will buy the game at some point anyways.

Why pre order anyway?

Posted by: Jornophelanthas.1475

Jornophelanthas.1475

The “Maguuma Trailblazer” title you can display in-game.
And beta weekends.

Why pre order anyway?

Bellizare.5816

The “Maguuma Trailblazer” title you can display in-game.
And beta weekends.

Well, TBH I did mention Beta weekends. I’m usually away adventuring IRL most weekends so not for me, but whatever floats your thing.

After some serious soul searching, I have to say the title pales next to Master Carver.

Why pre order anyway?

Posted by: eyestrain.3056

eyestrain.3056

Considering that it’s digital content that there is no way they’ll run out of, and the price won’t be higher for non-preorder customers when HoT actually hits, the pre-order neither makes sure you get something that might otherwise sell out, nor gives you a discount for ordering in advance.

And as previously mentioned, a true pre-order is a contract saying you will pay the money when the game is released, not handing over 50-100$ up front and being given only a promise, a smile, and some trinkets and then waiting ?? time until the you get what you paid full price for.

Why pre order anyway?

Posted by: Channel.9402

Channel.9402

Was planning to pre purchase just to show support the dev till i finish watching the pre purchase trailer on it, quite a pooper.
-Have no use for title as i’ve better title to wear and u can only wear 1
-not quite digging the bling bling flier (weird that i didn’t like any of those extravagant shinning gear in game)
-running a private guild with a few friends so not even sure if the gh is attainable
-no time to participate in beta event and even if i had the time i’d also skip it in order to experience a better game at launch. (Normally i even skip the 1st week to skip the overcrowded starter area)

Why pre order anyway?

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Tons of reasons. Here’s just a few:

1) Believe they have received enough information to evaluate HoT’s worth, and that it is worth the price.
2) Believe in the company enough to trust them.
3) Don’t care all that much if they get their money’s worth — kind of like trying out a new entree at a restaurant, hoping you’ll like it. There’s more expense with HoT — unless you’re talking pricy/gourmet restaurant, but the potential enjoyment, if there at all, will last longer.
4) Impulse buys — these are a big part of modern culture, especially in more affluent areas.
5) Have the money now, and since it’s “burning holes in their pocket” they might not have it later.

Why pre order anyway?

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

I say don’t pre-order until you know more. I’ve said this several times, pre-order culture is not a good thing in gaming. Too many times people have pre-ordered broken or disappointing games.
Now when ANet has released more information and you can make a informed decision regarding if it is worth it or not then you can decide to purchase / pre-purchased.

Why pre order anyway?

Bellizare.5816

Great and well thought out answers. Thx. Despite my careless posting persona, I do love this game.

Will I buy HoT? Surely. Maybe wait a bit for the inevitable sale. I have more than one account after all.

Pre-purchase? Nah.

Why pre order anyway?

Posted by: Greymelken.1892

Greymelken.1892

It is a matter of perspective.

Not once has Anet said you have to buy this now even though we havent given you much details on it. They are simply providing us with the opportunity to pay for the product in advance, to get it out of the way, to budget for it if that is an issue. they are offering us bonus items for our commitment, bonus items which from my perspective are junk, but I appreciate that others would want them even if I dont understand why.

The pre order results will turn into projections and will fund the project, including promotion for it. If the preorder goes well enough there will be more magazine drops, more articles, more media exposure et cetera because Anet will be able to afford it, using revenue generation to finance even more revenue generation which will finance further developement.

I wasnt going to preorder, after all this debate: Im going to. From my perspective, Anet deserves their money in advance, and I am positive I will not be disappointed

Why pre order anyway?

Bellizare.5816

It is a matter of perspective.

Not once has Anet said you have to buy this now even though we havent given you much details on it. They are simply providing us with the opportunity to pay for the product in advance, to get it out of the way, to budget for it if that is an issue. they are offering us bonus items for our commitment, bonus items which from my perspective are junk, but I appreciate that others would want them even if I dont understand why.

The pre order results will turn into projections and will fund the project, including promotion for it. If the preorder goes well enough there will be more magazine drops, more articles, more media exposure et cetera because Anet will be able to afford it, using revenue generation to finance even more revenue generation which will finance further developement.

I wasnt going to preorder, after all this debate: Im going to. From my perspective, Anet deserves their money in advance, and I am positive I will not be disappointed

I am surprised that you did not already pre-purchase based on your comments in other threads.

Why pre order anyway?

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

If you’re buying the Ultimate pack, there certainly is reason to preorder. Let’s pretend I was going to buy 4000 gems. By preordering I get them half price, and still get a game I knew I was going to buy anyway.

Why pre order anyway?

Bellizare.5816

If you’re buying the Ultimate pack, there certainly is reason to preorder. Let’s pretend I was going to buy 4000 gems. By preordering I get them half price, and still get a game I knew I was going to buy anyway.

And that is an excellent reason.

As usual, giving me food for thought my “white knight” Vayne.

Why pre order anyway?

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

And that is an excellent reason.

As usual, giving me food for thought my “white knight” Vayne.

You know a lot depends on where you are in life. Keeping a hundred bucks in my bank at this point, one way or another is meaningless. I’m retired, I’m doing okay, this is my main source of entertainment. Hell between Guild Wars 2 and Netflix, I don’t think I can get my entertainment any cheaper. Almost anything I do will cost more.

Hell, just going out for coffee with friends costs me more.

What’s the difference if I spent that money now, or spend it later, if I’m sure I’m going to spend it?