Why put mobs next to ore nodes ?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Osculim.2983

Osculim.2983

Why oh why do companies always feel the need to put mobs next to ore nodes ? It just seems silly to me. Its not like a champion karka is going to use any ore hehe. If there is some reason why i would sure like to know.

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

It’s probably so the node feels like a reward for beating that champion. Although I’ve noticed that most players just use summons/pets/stealth to ignore the guardian altogether and just harvest and run.

Posted by: Crysto.7089

Crysto.7089

From a “lore” perspective the animals and monsters are in the wilds. Its not like ore has some sort of magical foe repelling property.

From a design perspective so you have a minor obstacle to overcome before receiving your reward. Overcoming it doesn’t necessarily mean killing it. You could stealth, you could run in with swiftness and make a getaway, you could carve a path to it. However you want to do it. I know I always feel like a kitten when I grab a channeling skillpoint by popping my elixir S.

#1 Commander/Player NA: Promotions

Osculim.2983

No dont get me wrong Crysto im just wondering but i must also counter your argument if you consider lore then ore doesnt have a animal and monster atrraction property either.

Posted by: thisolderhead.5127

thisolderhead.5127

Really?

Why have a slight challenge increasing the percieved value of the reward?

Because most sane people find a reward that is preceeded with some form of obstacle or target results in more satisfaction… I believe that the absense of this structure relates to one of the key criteria for NPD (and teenagers).

Feeling bad due to my response does not mean it was a personal attack.
It may just be that your original statement was wrong.
Please try again.

Osculim.2983

No its not about the challenge i dont mind the challenge i just find it odd that a creature would go sit next to a ore node

Posted by: DirtyDeeds.6075

DirtyDeeds.6075

Mobs guard Nodes because they know you will be coming around sooner or later. There is no reason for any mob to go guard that bare patch of grass now is there?

Osculim.2983

If i was a mob i would rather go camp a waypoint to be honest you never know when a tasty snack gonna appear.

Posted by: Death Reincarnated.3570

Death Reincarnated.3570

There are heaps of nodes that don’t have mobs next to them but killing a vet/champ and seeing that rich node in the corner is icing on the cake.

Proud member of Legion of Honour XIII

Do not click this link!

Posted by: luchifer.6401

luchifer.6401

No dont get me wrong Crysto im just wondering but i must also counter your argument if you consider lore then ore doesnt have a animal and monster atrraction property either.

Yes it does, at least in Dungeons and Dragons, where dragons have lairs with huge piles of golds. They also keep a lot of treasures like the armor and weapons of the adventurers who try to kill them or steal their gold.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-8XtlT4Xasow/TtV7a7lMcgI/AAAAAAAABbk/5bXom3xnaiE/s1600/Gold_dragon_-_Chris_Seaman.jpg

edit.. also, in real life, a lot of animals are attracted to shiny things.

(edited by luchifer.6401)

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

It’s also something of a balance issue. If there was no opposition for what is basically the most consistent form of lots of Orichalcum other than running there, then the amount of it in the world increases faster than desired. Wherever it goes from there it also alters things . . . if sold on the Trading Post, it permits money (silver and gold) to be moved about easier, but the price winds up dropping as competitors need to lower their margin to sell. Eventually it bottoms out, but by then it’s so cheap and abundant nobody ever buys it.

With Orichalcum so easy to come by, what objects require Orichalcum are also easier to come by in various degrees . . . I’d say first you’d notice more Orichalcum Jewelry then weapons or armor (no Fine or secondary materials would be needed, only Ectoplasm). With it easier to get, gear standard would move towards Exotics much faster, ensuring the competitive standard shifts faster . . . and people not buying Exotics will be at a disadvantage.

Further, expanding outwards from this, the demand for Ectoplasm will rise due to it being pretty much a requirement. (I am not sure if they are not used in any Exotics.) So the price of BUYING Ectoplasm rises, and people can sell for greater and greater prices, concentrating the gold again. Farming for Rares/Exotics to break down becomes much more lucrative, speeding people into certain areas just to make money to stay abreast of everyone else in the market.

With the rising selling price of Ectos, it becomes madness NOT to break down that cool Rare you could use, since you could sell the Ectos and buy a devalued Exotic instead. Less people keep Rares and thus less people sell them. Less trading of Rares then mean Exotic is the only solution past Masterwork as soon as you can wear them.

Now, take note, this can happen naturally of course. But it would take less time if it was easier to access Orichalcum as a basis.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: Flynch.6034

Flynch.6034

Without a champ guarding a rich node, people would camp the ever living Hell out of it.

If you want a lore reason, then perhaps the Karka deliberately moved itself there as it noticed many players going for that specific node, so it’s a permanent lunch-time at that spot.

Osculim.2983

Hehe Luchifer if that is the case here in GW2 Then every node would be swarming with skrit

Posted by: luchifer.6401

luchifer.6401

Hehe Luchifer if that is the case here in GW2 Then every node would be swarming with skrit

well, at least now we know what the champions eat :P

Posted by: Denim Samurai.2379

Denim Samurai.2379

it’s one of the more simple/easy ways to discourage botting

/thread

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Without a champ guarding a rich node, people would camp the ever living Hell out of it.

If you want a lore reason, then perhaps the Karka deliberately moved itself there as it noticed many players going for that specific node, so it’s a permanent lunch-time at that spot.

If you want a lore reason, then consider the nodes happen to be where the Karka built that massive nest and the spot at the top was one part of the nursery once so the Champion Karka defends it, not the node. Why does Orichalcum appear there and not other places? Well consider where it does appear in the world . . .

It’s mostly focused in Orr and the Sea of Sorrows right now with a small offshoot in the Frostgorge Sound but that is small enough to be a statistical anomaly. Perhaps it’s veins present there due to some geological concentration . . . consider in the real world how minerals and ores can be found usually in generally-similar places naturally.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Osculim.2983

hehe yep Luchifer well done you just explained it all now we know and we can all rest easy so to sum it up : Ore = Shiny, Skrit loves shiny, Shiny + Skrit = food, Food attract hungry mobs.

Posted by: LordYz.8941

LordYz.8941

At least the node is not randomly placed every time the server goes for a update or maintenance.

Sea of Sorrows, Black Snow Suave.
Recruiting dungeon raiders.

Tobias Trueflight.8350

At least the node is not randomly placed every time the server goes for a update or maintenance.

Strange thing, even so . . . the ores generally don’t seem to migrate that far. i’m curious what would happen if I overlaid all the formerly known positions of the nodes. Would we be able to see an ore/mineral distribution over the whole of Tyria hinting at where you should look for them in a more specific manner than “Frostgorge Sound” “Fireheart Rise” . . . ?

Posted by: LordYz.8941

LordYz.8941

Every one or two weeks I will find the same ori node at the same place in Malchor Leap. SO it is possible.

Sea of Sorrows, Black Snow Suave.
Recruiting dungeon raiders.