Why the last minute change on bleeding?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Abnaxis.4593

Abnaxis.4593

Q:

Right there in the title. What prompted the last minute change to the bleeding formula? I was excited by the 0.075 scaling the Josh told us we were getting, looking forward to dusting off my old necromancer with the new build. Then the patch hits, and bleeding actually does LESS damage.

I know I’m probably just going to get a bunch of sardonic replies as other players vent their frustrations, but in the vain hope that someone with authority a ANet will answer I have to ask: what was the thought process? What made bleeding stand out as needing a nerf?

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

Define last minute? There is no telling when that information was changed. We were originally given an unedited list, so the information could have been wrong.

Bleeding is one of the most pervasive conditions, and it is possible for individual classes to drop a stack of 25 bleeds on a target solo. With the change to how conditions work it would be necessary to lower that value per stack for potential quantity.

It’s called balance. Balance isn’t there to make you happy with how much damage you can do, it’s to normalize damage so no one has a specific advantage.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Posted by: LastShot.4762

LastShot.4762

Well, from my understanding, bleed still gets an extra +2 per tick, not much of a buff but at least you can’t call it a nerf.

Posted by: Abnaxis.4593

Abnaxis.4593

Define last minute? There is no telling when that information was changed. We were originally given an unedited list, so the information could have been wrong.

Bleeding is one of the most pervasive conditions, and it is possible for individual classes to drop a stack of 25 bleeds on a target solo. With the change to how conditions work it would be necessary to lower that value per stack for potential quantity.

It’s called balance. Balance isn’t there to make you happy with how much damage you can do, it’s to normalize damage so no one has a specific advantage.

So…classes could hit 25 stacks solo, and now….classes can still drop 25 stacks solo, except now they won’t be boned if they party with someone else doing the same, and the bleeds do less damage.

Classes aren’t doing more damage with the cap lifted, they’re just not being penalized by engine limitations. Why does that require weakening bleeds? That’s not how balancing works…

Well, from my understanding, bleed still gets an extra +2 per tick, not much of a buff but at least you can’t call it a nerf.

At level 80, bleed used to do 42.5 + 0.05 * CD. Now it’s 22 + 0.06 * CD. That’s less damage until you get to 2050 CD, and it’s only very, very slightly more if you stack every CD buff available in the game from might, sigils, runes, and banners (about +10DPS/stack). It’s unambiguously a nerf.

(edited by Abnaxis.4593)

Posted by: Wolfric.9380

Wolfric.9380

Bleeding seemed weak and manny builds already lost 30% duration. removing the cap only impacts multiple players.
For bleeding the damage was fine/to low and a nerf makes no sense here.