Why the silence on txmod?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Angelica Dream.7103

Angelica Dream.7103

Let start out saying that I absolutely, I definitely agree with advantageous mods being banned.

But why not let us alter the look of the game in PVE? So many other games let you mod the graphics to make it more fun. I like it for the sheer art or creative side. Imagine making a birthday sign in a town for a guild member. Or your own custom shield design? (For those that do not mod only you see this or other with your mod patch). GW1 let us do it, why not 2?

In my option PVE graphic modding would just make the game more fun, and to cover all bases, stop it from working in PVP and WoW.

Last thought:
Other games let you do graphic mods, some even give us programs to make it easier. Why not let players enjoy all aspects of the game, instead of moving on to games that do?

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

I would imagine it takes a huge amount of resources to monitor for addons/mods that are giving advantages rather than simply changing cosmetics. I also don’t know what kind of a strain it would put on the overall system to support these sorts of things.

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?

Posted by: Pennry.9215

Pennry.9215

Game is originally (debate “currently” elsewhere) built around putting in a bit of effort to get appearance items. Allow people to make whatever they want, and there’s now no point to playing the game to look good.

Never mind the fact I’m totally against increased loading times do to the sheer unknown of whatever someone else has done. Make it a toggle? Way more work and my client still has to support the load.

The games that let you make whatever you want usually lack anything to do other than just make that stuff. I like doing stuff in Guild Wars 2 while going “kitten , I look purrty”, not just stand there.

Posted by: ShiningSquirrel.3751

ShiningSquirrel.3751

Game is originally (debate “currently” elsewhere) built around putting in a bit of effort to get appearance items. Allow people to make whatever they want, and there’s now no point to playing the game to look good.

Never mind the fact I’m totally against increased loading times do to the sheer unknown of whatever someone else has done. Make it a toggle? Way more work and my client still has to support the load.

The games that let you make whatever you want usually lack anything to do other than just make that stuff. I like doing stuff in Guild Wars 2 while going “kitten , I look purrty”, not just stand there.

It has nothing to do with your game, your load times or anything else on your end. That mod only changes the appearance of the graphics on the computer of the person who is using it by swapping out the actual skins for local ones. No one else would see any change or even know they where using it. Myself? I never saw the point of modding the appearance of your armor if you are the only one who could see it. In GW1, there where mods for the UI that did look nice but I never bothered with any of those either.

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

I would guess that it may have to do with not wanting to deal with the complaints when they make a change or add something, and it breaks player mods.

There’s also the fact that players can and will abuse something like this. The last thing they need is screenshots of anatomically correct naked characters running around swinging two handed horse “kittens” of the Ravager showing up on the internet.

. . .

Okay, you! You in the back! Put DOWN that copy of Photoshop! That was NOT a suggestion!

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: Galphar.3901

Galphar.3901

In GW2, just like in GW, the “progression” is getting the “look” that you want. If A-Net were to allow the modding of the graphics, even just on your local PC, then what would be the reason to get the next great skin they give us.

I would however like to see them give us more options in how our UI looks. Being able to modify the UI more would be a great thing. Allowing a UI mod would be nice, but allowing a graphics mod would totally negate the “end-game”.

Angelica Dream.7103

Never mind the fact I’m totally against increased loading times do to the sheer unknown of whatever someone else has done.

My mods do not effect your load times at all unless 1) I give you my mod, and 2) you use it.

Angelica Dream.7103

allowing a graphics mod would totally negate the “end-game”.

No because no one gets to see a mod but the creator. But you can show off the end game items to everyone. Also you can not make a high end special effect unless you work for that weapon, and then make say color changes. So you can not make a legendary weapon even for just you to see.

So many other games let you mod graphics for personal enjoyment, some even design editors to help you do it.

Posted by: Redenaz.8631

Redenaz.8631

GW1 let us do it, why not 2?

Has the policy even changed? I haven’t seen any specific reference to the .dat file for GW2, but it seems like the basic policy is the same: Don’t do anything that exploits the game, and if you screw it up, on your own head be it.

I’m really not sure what more of a go-ahead there is to look for. They’re not going to vet a particular mod because they don’t have resources dedicated to that, but I don’t believe they vetted particular mods for GW1, either.

At least there’s an API now that’s being put to good use.

~The Storyteller – Elementalist – Jade Quarry~

Posted by: HykCraft.4610

HykCraft.4610

No thanks.. I don’t want 99% of my screen populated with UI’s of mods… if you want that, go play WoW, please.

Sorrow’s Furnace US

Posted by: Redenaz.8631

Redenaz.8631

No thanks.. I don’t want 99% of my screen populated with UI’s of mods… if you want that, go play WoW, please.

…Then don’t mod it in your game?

I don’t have any interest in modding the game myself, but I’m not sure how this train of logic works.

~The Storyteller – Elementalist – Jade Quarry~

Posted by: ShiningSquirrel.3751

ShiningSquirrel.3751

It only changed the appearance of the existing UI. If you screen is not taken up 99% by the UI now, it would not be after you modded it.
Think of it like going in to the windows control panel and changing the color of the windows borders. That is all it does, changes the colors or texture of the existing UI.

Posted by: Slither Shade.4782

Slither Shade.4782

Is there anything actually stopping you from modding the appearance of the game from your perspective. Why dont you just do it?

Posted by: StinVec.3621

StinVec.3621

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/10a0qk/official_response_clarifying_the_stance_on_mods/

“This is a very interesting question, and I appreciate hearing your thoughts.

As you are aware, we cannot approve or review or “vet” any third-party program; that is a given. However, our position is somewhat different than the one expressed in the GM response, so I’ve already contacted the team to be sure that everyone is on the same page.

Our general statement is that anything that gives advantage is forbidden. There are many utilities that help the player without taking a hit on others, without, for instance, being a detriment to the other players in a match. TexMod is one example of a program that doesn’t really give anyone an advantage over someone else. I’ve heard about certain programs that help disabled players, and those seem just fine, too. And of course there are others. We can’t say “Sure, use this and that and that other thing” because that’s tantamount to “approval,” but we do recognize the distinction between advantage-giving programs and those that simply make it easier to play the game under specific circumstances.

Thanks for pointing out that response. We’ll get things clarified so that future responses are consistent with our policies." – Gaile Gray

She states TexMod as an example of a program that does not give an advantage over others that do not use it, and includes it among mods that help disabled players as being OK.

| [“I’d really like this…” — Resource for Gifting Strangers] |
| [Free Ports For All “Not So Secret” JP Needs (and 1st Try Dive Tips)] |
| [Classic Thread: “all is vain”] |

(edited by StinVec.3621)