Why the unrelenting pressure to do JPs?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Teofa Tsavo.9863

Teofa Tsavo.9863

Why? It has been a steadily mounting pressure.

I would guess that at least half of the ones done as dailies are not actually even done.. or more, since people will portal to get them. Your metrics on how many complete them will be so skewed they are meaningless.

Why is it so important to Anet that we do these things? What happened to play “our” way?

Why do you feel you have to herd us around like a pack of Pre Schoolers?

I’m honestly curious. And yes, I’m fine with not getting a Daily JP done, or anything related to a JP done. I’ve managed 3 years here and done 4 puzzles.. 3 by porting, 1 by paying my son to do it.

I’d just like to know why it is so important to push platforming as “normal” game play and why it is not considered an activity and put in that category.

Ley lines. The perfect solution to deadlines and writers block. Now in an easy open Can.

(edited by Teofa Tsavo.9863)

Posted by: Skittish.4539

Skittish.4539

You either love jumping puzzles or you’re wrong. Jumping puzzles are the lifeblood of this game.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I’m sure the metrics show whether portals were used, or not…so maybe not so ‘skewed’.

Some players enjoy the addition of Jumping Puzzles to the Daily; some players do not. I’m sure it is difficult to offer content everyone enjoys. Fortunately, there are options.

Posted by: ImTasty.2163

ImTasty.2163

Just don’t do the jumping puzzle daily? For today your other options are HoT vista, Curshed Shore events, and ascalon forager. You only need 3 and those 3 are not jumping puzzles. If you don’t want to do it fine but the jumping puzzle daily is not required to get the daily meta reward.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Today’s JP doesn’t even involve any jumping …

Teofa Tsavo.9863

You either love jumping puzzles or you’re wrong. Jumping puzzles are the lifeblood of this game.

Ah yes, the very soul of the matter. Probably the most honest response I’ll get, and precisely what I suspect is the official stance.

“Play our Way”

Ley lines. The perfect solution to deadlines and writers block. Now in an easy open Can.

Posted by: Redenaz.8631

Redenaz.8631

I’d just like to know why it is so important to push platforming as “normal” game play and why it is not considered an activity and put in that category.

Maybe because it’s normal gameplay?

I realize it’s not everyone’s cup of tea, and that’s okay, but I consider jumping around a pretty core gameplay element, between vistas and jumping puzzles, so I have to disagree when it’s treated like something totally unheard of.

If I had to speculate, I would guess that they added jumping puzzles to the Daily roster because a lot of jumping puzzles are thematically interesting areas that people might not visit or re-visit a lot. They’re more a commitment than some older dailies, but that goes hand-in-hand with the higher reward for daily completion since they added gold, plus you can often find a portal to the end, which helps the people who don’t like jumping puzzles while building a sense of players helping players.

That’s a lot of boxes to tick right there, so it seems pretty appealing.

~The Storyteller – Elementalist – Jade Quarry~

Posted by: davedunc.6497

davedunc.6497

You are literally complaining just to complain. A daily achievement for a JP is not “unrelenting pressure”. And it’s actually one of the few places random players actually get together and help eachother/mess around in a large group.

Posted by: RIEen.9473

RIEen.9473

I played one PvP event today and got 4 of the dailies. Even losing a match and you’ll always get 2 and often all 3 dailies. In not all 3 then I’ll go do the vista viewer or lumbered/forager/miner for the last one. PvP may seem intimitati g but it shouldn’t be.

Or go do wvw, even solo you can always get one or two with little to no effort.

It seems most people that complain about this are the ones that only do one of the play styles. One of the reasons for dailies is to try to get people to branch out. I only started pvp and wvw and feactals for legendaries. Now I’m so glad I did that, they add so much to the game. I’d suggest branching out from what you typically do. Some of them you’ll dislike but you may find a new part of the game to love.

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

I see the PVP dailies every day and I ignore them – I don’t feel any unrelenting pressure to do them, just as there’s no pressure to do jps.

Maybe the pressure you feel is your own soul crying out for that sweet, sweet taste of jumping puzzle goodness…

Go on. You know you want to.

Posted by: Wanderer.3248

Wanderer.3248

Anet does seem to have a infatuation with them. They’ve taken over everything, from festivals to dailies. They even put some in WvW, of all places. I’ve never seen an MMO so obsessed with jumping.

It’s a shame that the game engine and camera and networking is so unsuited to them.

Give us a proper parkour engine like Dying Light!

Posted by: Tman.6349

Tman.6349

I realize it’s not everyone’s cup of tea, and that’s okay, but I consider jumping around a pretty core gameplay element, between vistas and jumping puzzles, so I have to disagree when it’s treated like something totally unheard of.

If I had to speculate, I would guess that they added jumping puzzles to the Daily roster because a lot of jumping puzzles are thematically interesting areas that people might not visit or re-visit a lot. They’re more a commitment than some older dailies, but that goes hand-in-hand with the higher reward for daily completion since they added gold, plus you can often find a portal to the end, which helps the people who don’t like jumping puzzles while building a sense of players helping players.

Not to mention, those portals and general help at those JPs allow newer players to actually DOUBLE their AP gain (cheevies) for their daily that day. It’s not like there aren’t nearly a dozen other options for the Dailies as an alternative. The QQ is QQ and greatly exaggerated. ‘Pressure’…yeah, OK…

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

Why the unrelenting pressure to do PvP? Or WvW? or World Bosses?

Why the unrelenting pressure to do fractals?

Why the unrelenting pressure to run all over every map clicking random things, and being led around by the whim of repetitive NPCS?

I mean if you look hard enough I’m sure everyone can find something they dislike about the game and call its reward system “unrelenting pressure” using the same logic.

Jumping puzzles are part of GW2. They’ve been part of GW2’s core content since launch. Your problem is that you’re unwilling to do something else, or that you feel you’re owed a daily for only doing thing you, personally want to do.

All people may not enjoy all of the content in the game. There’s nothing wrong with that. Either you want the daily bad enough to do something you may not enjoy, or you ignore it.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

Teofa Tsavo.9863

At launch they were a separate activity, with separate chests and achievements.
3 were needed for World completion, although Josh Foreman said that the original intention was to not need any JPs for world complete. Somehow that changed.

Then they were needed for LS, for story achievements, for crafting, collections, lots of content unrelated to JPs put behind them. All of the Zephyr event was jumping/platforming. Then Dry top got a jumping gate on it. More content put behind JPs with each Chapter, then pretty much an entire expansion of platforming.

And now specific JP PvE dailies, when JPs should be in the Activity category. There should have always been a JP in daily “activities” anyway. That is what they should be. No loss to people who like them.

Unrelenting. I stand by that.

I get my dailies in WvW. They are WvW content. I was not asking how to get dailies done. I don’t go to WvW just to get dailies done, even. They happen while I’m playing a part of the game I enjoy and would do anyway. Unheard of, I know. Frightening concept, even.

JPs were originally a sideshow, and should have remained one, not mainstreamed as much as they have been. In my opinion.

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

Well if that’s the case its time to up the rewards a lot, i meant astronomically.

Teofa Tsavo.9863

And nothing of what you said would change if JPs were a daily “Activity”.

Posted by: Batelle.1680

Batelle.1680

I’m actually surprised there’s not more JP hate today, considering this particular daily jumping puzzle is absolutely obnoxious to do when other players are around, let alone ALL OF THE OTHER PLAYERS are around and complaining about it.

But I still fail to see how something that is completely optional is a sign of Anet increasing pressure to do them. Even with the obnoxiousness of the JP, I was able to complete dailies in ~15 minutes by choosing the other three options, which were all dead easy.

Posted by: Elden Arnaas.4870

Elden Arnaas.4870

There is absolutely more and more pressure to do jumping in GW2. Festivals are more and more about jumping or PvP. More and more jumping is in the story, and in all the new achievements. Now it’s in the dailies.
People who find jumping easy don’t realize how much jumping there is in this game.
And this is in a game that’s a sequel to GW1, which had jumping only as an emote. I didn’t go out and buy Portal, or some other console jumping game. I bought a Fantasy Role Playing game.(the sequel to Guild Wars, which did not have jumping as a game mechanic) I don’t mind jumping being in the game for people who like it, but I don’t want mainstream content gated behind it. It’s difficult for me, and I despise it, so I don’t play jumping games. Except that more and more GW2 is becoming a jumping game. It barely resembles the GW1 games at all. One wonders why they even used the Guild Wars name. It seems like they didn’t want it to be at all like the original Guild Wars games. And more and more it’s about jumping and other twitch and reflex based play.

Posted by: mauried.5608

mauried.5608

Theres no pressure in an MMO, GW2 included to do anything.
You can simply walk around the world waving at players if you like.
Everything in an MMO is discressionary, ie you can do it if you want to, but no one is forcing you or pressuring you to do anything at all.

Posted by: Athena.3579

Athena.3579

It barely resembles the GW1 games at all.

I’m sorry, but you’re just now realizing this?

Anyways, I think platforming is something that GW2 does incredibly well. Especially when compared to other MMORPGs. And I think there are so many other things to complain about other than something optional being added that helps to make jumping puzzles remotely relevant.

Doing jumping puzzles is the most unrewarding thing to do in GW2 besides standing around doing nothing. So, yay, they threw us a bone.

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

if you don’t want to do the JP if it procs on a day you have 11 other dailies to complete

Nalhadia – Kaineng

Teofa Tsavo.9863

It barely resembles the GW1 games at all.

I’m sorry, but you’re just now realizing this?

Anyways, I think platforming is something that GW2 does incredibly well. Especially when compared to other MMORPGs. And I think there are so many other things to complain about other than something optional being added that helps to make jumping puzzles remotely relevant.

Doing jumping puzzles is the most unrewarding thing to do in GW2 besides standing around doing nothing. So, yay, they threw us a bone.

That’s funny. My son is an avid platform and puzzle gamer. I paid him to do a JP for me once. Once. He won’t do another one even for money. Was like “Oh, god, your Norns, your Camera, your Stupid pet. NO”

Mileage varies.

Posted by: Astraea.6075

Astraea.6075

One of my friends is a very new player and they weren’t aware of JPs until they were added to the mix of dailies. As a result of this change, my friend has now found another part of the game that she enjoys and is working on finding and completing them all.

This is not to discount the OPs perspective as I understand JPs aren’t everyone’s thing, but just to illustrate that new players do benefit from being encouraged to try out different content.

Posted by: Daishi.6027

Daishi.6027

:/ But nothing is really being pushed on anyone? That’s like saying “They are forcing us to PvP, WvW, gather mats, and participated in events, because there is a daily of it! Stop herding us around A-net!!! Let us play our way!!”

If you don’t like the content don’t do it? “Play your way” is still a thing, but if a jp is standing in the way of 2g you can decide for yourself if it’s worth it or not, even if it’s simple as taking a port.

If your the type who likes to AFK in town don’t expect rewards, you don’t get Ad infinitum without fractals, and you don’t get The Ascension without PvPing.

“I control time and space; you can’t break free.~”
“Maybe I was the illusion all along!”

Elden Arnaas.4870

re: It barely resembles the GW1 games at all. / I’m sorry, but you’re just now realizing this? – Of course not. But they’re moving farther and farther away from what the GW1 games were, and what made them great. Why do they want to drive off their original fans?

Elden Arnaas.4870

re: If your the type who likes to AFK in town don’t expect rewards – Who said anything about wanting to AFK in town? Much less wanting rewards for it. You’re just making stuff up.

In Lord of the Rings, did they play hopscotch to save the day? No, they geared up and went out and they fought the evil. And in the original Guild Wars games it was about fighting. And fighting didn’t mean bouncing around doing something that a squirrel could do better than a human being. It meant knowing your class, knowing your party, knowing the enemy, and being able to make a good plan and execute it well. It’s sad that GW2 is more about bouncing around(witness the Berserker meta) than actual strategy and tactics.
And why should achievements, items, etc… be gated behind jumping puzzles?(in a fantasy role playing game) Sure make lots of jumping titles and “achievements”, but don’t gate real stuff behind them. If this was Portal or a Mario game, sure. But this isn’t a platform jumping game, it’s a Fantasy Role Playing Game.

Posted by: Jaken.6801

Jaken.6801

Okay, why do people get all so worked up on one of 15 dailies to complete (I am unsure if fractal dailies count as well right now)?

Even looking at the PvE stuff, there are still four others you can do and you only need three.

Are some real extra benefits to do more?
If you are just talking about the path of least resistance, then take the others if you don’t like the JP.

I mean, they aren’t up everyday.

In Lord of the Rings, did they play hopscotch to save the day? No, they geared up and went out and they fought the evil. And in the original Guild Wars games it was about fighting. And fighting didn’t mean bouncing around doing something that a squirrel could do better than a human being. It meant knowing your class, knowing your party, knowing the enemy, and being able to make a good plan and execute it well. It’s sad that GW2 is more about bouncing around(witness the Berserker meta) than actual strategy and tactics.
And why should achievements, items, etc… be gated behind jumping puzzles?(in a fantasy role playing game) Sure make lots of jumping titles and “achievements”, but don’t gate real stuff behind them. If this was Portal or a Mario game, sure. But this isn’t a platform jumping game, it’s a Fantasy Role Playing Game.

Ah yes, everyone in LotR was a fighter.
No one had to climb or jump around… oh wait, what did Legolas do? He jumpd and climbed up a big elephant.

They were going around trying diplomacy.
They were exploring.
Gandalf had a lot to learn to even go on this adventure.
The Hobbits weren’t even fighter. They ran away most of the time and eat stuff.

Fact is, you have to adapt to go forward.
If there is a gap, you jump it to get to your treasure.

Heck, Frodo ran away more then once, however he manned up, took his sword and fought if he had to.

Be more like Frodo if you want your fantasy story. go out and do the things that need to be done and don’t whine about it.

I mean: “Hey, Frodo, why do you go all the way to the vulcano? There are spiky stones, enemies and dangerous waters in that direction. Why don’t we go the rainbow road, with unicorns and fluffy marshmallow sheep?”

Because the goal is to get this ring into the vulcano. Because that is where you have to go to get your “archievment/Trophy/be saved/whatever”, that’s why.

Yes, the game is play how you want. That doens’t mean that you get a reward shoved into your face if you don’t work a little for it.

by the way: This game is no traditional MMORPG. The movement features are clearly on display and advertised, so it isn’t wrong to utilize them. Get off your high horse and don’t apply your “supposed” game. it isn’t. it is a game with jumping, portals and an action combat system. If you want to stand around in a static way, go play any other MMO.

(edited by Jaken.6801)

Posted by: Tiger Ashante.1792

Tiger Ashante.1792

Why? It has been a steadily mounting pressure.

I would guess that at least half of the ones done as dailies are not actually even done.. or more, since people will portal to get them. Your metrics on how many complete them will be so skewed they are meaningless.

Why is it so important to Anet that we do these things? What happened to play “our” way?

Why do you feel you have to herd us around like a pack of Pre Schoolers?

I’m honestly curious. And yes, I’m fine with not getting a Daily JP done, or anything related to a JP done. I’ve managed 3 years here and done 4 puzzles.. 3 by porting, 1 by paying my son to do it.

I know what u mean OP, i decided to do the collection for the new legendary shortbow, heard it had a fun collection/story etc. omg 90% of it was JP’s all the way to making the precursor. It was annoying, boring and mindless a potential for great story lost. The only redeeming factor in all of that, was that i got those cute tiger cubs, but i’d never do it again.

And yes, i agree with u OP, Jp’s and various jumping games are being shoved and forced upon us in every aspect of the game now. I totally resent being forced to have to do all them kittened adventures to complete my HoT masteries. I cannot even describe my annoyance. So i completely sympathies with you and agree, that gw2 is done a 180 turn once again in allowing us to “play how we want” and it’s getting worse every time they add a piece of content.

Teofa Tsavo.9863

I’m seriously not caring or complaining about dailies.

I’m wondering why JPs/Platforming have to be increasingly shoehorned into nearly every aspect of the game. Dailies was just the latest example.

I’d be happy if JP’s were a daily every day. As an activity, like Crab Toss or whatever. That is more their niche, to me, and not as a replacement for actual adventuring.

And I do not understand why JPs/Platforming are used as gates to unrelated content, increasingly.

As with the poster above, I’m not understanding it in an RPG setting. No RPG I have ever played made JP’s a thing. All of them, save GW, had jumping as well. They just didn’t fly off cross genre into Super NES Platform land. Not only older games like EQ2 and such, but also newer titles like Skyrim, DragonAge, Fallout.

I can understand people liking them as a side event. I cannot understand how they are increasingly becoming a required part of core gameplay in an RPG.

Oh, just noticed the thread is now complete.

“go play any other MMO”

Posted by: Sirius.4510

Sirius.4510

I mean… there’s the situation where you have vistas/POIs that you have to do bits of jumping puzzles to get to. I understand that.

But the daily thing, I really don’t. There was basically no reason to do jumping puzzles after completing them once, except for the hell of it, after they abolished the monthly achievement for them. Now they show up in one of the groups, maximum one JP daily per day, maybe… half the time or something? And that’s still too much? Having a reason to do jumping puzzles again is too much?

I mean, seriously, I skip the fractal achievement most days it shows up because I don’t have time… I just do something else. You can do the same thing with jumping puzzles.

(P.S. On noticing that at least in the OP’s case this isn’t really about daily achievements, this post is probably not very pointful. Still, there it is.)

Just a random PuGgle.
Stormbluff Isle ( http://www.stormbluffisle.com )

(edited by Sirius.4510)

Posted by: Sarie.1630

Sarie.1630

What happened to play “our” way?

allowing us to “play how we want”

Is this phrase still being banded about whenever people don’t like a certain piece of content?

I get that people don’t like certain parts of the game, but everyone is different in their likes and dislikes. I have to applaud ArenaNet on having multiple uses for the same piece of content, however. One of the hardest things I thought they’d be able to pull off would be to keep the lower level areas of the game populated, yet here we are nearly four years on and you can wander around any zone and see people playing in it – for a whole variety of reasons. Some are levelling, some are going back to do world completion, some are going back again to do core achievements, and some are going back yet again to fill out collections.

The issue here though is Jumping Puzzles. I don’t think ArenaNet can be criticised for encouraging PvE players for going into different features of core PvE in order to gain specific rewards. They set the rules. No amount of “play how you want” can convince me that making as much of the game replayable as possible is a bad thing. Notwithstanding that, “play how you want” was about four years ago, and if I remember right, mainly referred to the method at which you levelled and progressed your character, and not necessarily referred to the acquisition of shiny loot.

Posted by: Dashingsteel.3410

Dashingsteel.3410

When gw2 first started, jumping puzzles were a sideshow attraction. They were there for those who wanted to do them but they were never requirements for anything.

Unfortunately, Anet decided to change their stance on jps and platforming. Like a slow spreading plague jps and platforming have become required more and more over the past years. I hope it is a trend that stops with the next expansion but it doesn’t look promising. I am not interested in playing kangaroo wars. It is nice to have for those who enjoy but it shouldn’t be considered a serious part of the game.

Posted by: Flatley.1620

Flatley.1620

I don’t like JP’s either. So I just don’t do them.

i75820K@4.4ghz Noctua NHU14S GTX980TiSC
SoundblasterZ AsusX99Pro 512GBM2SSD 1TBSSD
3TBHDD 16gbRAM Corsair900D Win10Pro Corsair rmi1000w ethernet 100 down, 6 up

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

Platforming does not belong in an RPG imo.

Having to make one difficult jump or scramble up a tricky steep hill to get somewhere is fine. Having to do 20 difficult jumps in a row, where any error sends you back to the start is not OK.

I do the daily JP if it it is portal-able.

Incidentally, picking up on something in an earlier post, my main is a Norn. Are they harder than other races when jumping? I have dreadful problems with the camera angles.

Flatley.1620

Platforming does not belong in an RPG imo.

Having to make one difficult jump or scramble up a tricky steep hill to get somewhere is fine. Having to do 20 difficult jumps in a row, where any error sends you back to the start is not OK.

I do the daily JP if it it is portal-able.

Incidentally, picking up on something in an earlier post, my main is a Norn. Are they harder than other races when jumping? I have dreadful problems with the camera angles.

That’s a good point – I wonder if it’s because Norn’s are, generally, taller than other races so the camera angle makes it difficult to judge jumps?

If I do have to jump something – not necessarily a JP – I really hate it when something obscures your view, like a tree. I suppose I could go 1st person but I don’t like that anymore – it’s like going back to EQ2

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Maybe I’m the odd one out but I never feel pressure to do any of the dailies. Even though I know the PvP ones are extremely quick and easy to get I never do them because I don’t like PvP.

I’ll look at the list and if there’s 3 I feel like doing, or I’ve done 1 or 2 and there’s a 3rd I want to do then I’ll do it. If not there’s always tomorrow.

And the jumping puzzles are some of the ones I actually enjoy doing (without a portal). I know not everyone likes them but considering I know for a fact 1/3 of the list, every single day, will be things I don’t enjoy I appreciate the opportunity for something I do like.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Flatley.1620

Maybe I’m the odd one out but I never feel pressure to do any of the dailies..

This. I’m the same.

Posted by: Redenaz.8631

Redenaz.8631

And nothing of what you said would change if JPs were a daily “Activity”.

I don’t really understand what you mean by making JPs into an “activity.” Do you mean like the Mad King’s Clocktower and Winter Wonderland? Those are activities, but, like most activities, you can’t use your own skills to fight enemies, help other players, or help yourself. Activities have a time limit, and they put you into an instanced area with random players instead of your party.

I feel like making jumping puzzles into an activity either changes a lot of the character of jumping puzzles, or strangely expands the characteristics of an activity, in game-terms. I’m not sure I’m understanding the suggestion.

~The Storyteller – Elementalist – Jade Quarry~

Posted by: Silberfederling.9302

Silberfederling.9302

A time machine would be lovely. Back in 2005 you heard: “GW is no good you can’t jump.” then we got jumping, but the devs gave it the option, OPTION, to do jps. The even gave us the option to include it in the daily. Know it is unrelenting pressure to do jps if you might as well leave it out? Whhaaat? I honestly do not know why people allways complain about options but want that the rest of the playerbase is actually forced to something, or gets taken something just so you don’t feel pressured to do optional daily jps.

Good grief.

Elden Arnaas.4870

re: A time machine would be lovely. Back in 2005 you heard: “GW is no good you can’t jump.” – I never heard that, and I certainly never said it.

re: I honestly do not know why people allways complain about options but want that the rest of the playerbase is actually forced to something, – No, those are the people who want options to be limited and for jumping to be one of them. (Narrowing the remaining options for those of us who can’t or dislike jumping) The “Anti-Jumping” people merely want more options, with jumping included as one of those options. The original post isn’t even specifically about dailies.

re: or gets taken something just so you don’t feel pressured to do optional daily jps. – You mean like those of us who lost one of our few daily options because they had to take out an option to add jumping?(Rather than just adding jumping as an additional option)
Get it straight, the people who can’t jump, or have difficulty jumping or dislike jumping. are the people who are losing out here. Not the people who want GW2 to be a cheap console port platformer. Anet is happily obliging those people.

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

The answer is easy.
“There isn’t any pressure to do JPs”.
Really, you don’t need to do JPs, ever, if you don’t want. No pressure.

Why is there an aparent effort to promote JPs?
The answer is twofold:

1- 3D game value: This is a 3D game. A real 3D game, not a 2D game with 3D graphics. A game where up and down are different, and where space matters. JP are simply the most pure form of recognizing this beautiful fact, and a place where the environment creators can really show off their skill and art. JPs are an amazing work of 3D design, gameplay and world building, which deserves to be known. (GW2 IS NOT GW1, or WOW, or any other 2D-ish MMO.)

2- Exploration vs Routine: Most JP aren’t directly visible or in the most trodden routes. This is because they are meant to reward exploration, so people who really invest time to walk all over the maps gets naturally to them. However, for most people after the first world completion, and for people who never explore in the first place, JP are too far and too unrewarding to bother. Putting them in the daily cycle brings them to view again, revealing a really fun and well done aspect of the game that some had forgotten, and other had never known. (Most times I lead newbies into a JP, they are really delighted with the discovery.)

Finally, to all the people who hate JPs and keep posting this hate-threads: There is an old story that explain far better than me your behavior.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

Elden Arnaas.4870

re: . Why don’t we go the rainbow road, with unicorns and fluffy marshmallow sheep?” – Nowhere did anyone ask for a “Rainbow Road”. For everything thing that they have gated behind jumping, why don’t they put that same thing at the end of a mini dungeon, or an event chain?

“Lion’s Arch Exterminator” is about shooting karka, right? – Yes, except for the last 5 are in a jumping puzzle. Why?

“For the Children” has a Wintersday ornament scavenger hunt where ornaments drop from chests. – Fantastic, finally something fair – you can get them in open world or by jumping. Except wait, the Sylvari and Charr ornaments don’t drop from open world chests. They only drop from jumping puzzle chests. Why can’t they all drop from open world chests?

World Completion(required to complete a Legendary weapon) includes two jumping puzzles.

Making Mawdrey II is gated behind at least one jumping puzzle.

And the list goes on… Why so much focus on jumping?

And why do some many people want us to cheese the jumping with mesmer portals? Doesn’t that cheapen your actual legitimate completion of the JP? Why is that so much better than just giving us more options?

Teofa Tsavo.9863

Up and down matters? This isn’t new. We can’t even scale walls or use ladders here, both things found in far older MMOs, not to mention gliding, jumping to cross terrain, flying, EQ2, in 2005, had easter eggs that could be only accessed by solving a jump route. Nothing innovative here re the 3rd axis, not even by the wildest stretch of imagination.

What is new is increasingly making the platformer puzzle a required aspect of an MMO to progress.

Elden Arnaas.4870

@Ardid – Yes, “The Dog in the Manger” https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/external?l=https%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FThe_Dog_in_the_Manger perfectly symbolizes those who can jump well and who enjoy jumping not wanting more choices, so that people who can’t jump don’t have a fair chance.

Who here is asking for jumping to be taken out of the game, or even out of dailies? Just give us more choices.

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

Hate JPs, but adding them to dailys has become become soooooooooooo easy and I can take all of my toons through them in less time than it takes to load them. So many mesmers giving free portals when a jp is a daily. No jumping required at all. Anet really needs to re-examine this, take them out of the daily rotation and let them go back to being a sidebar in the game for those that like them. Until then, free chests for all.
Got my mes parked there now for any stragglers.

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

@Ardid – Yes, “The Dog in the Manger” https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/external?l=https%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FThe_Dog_in_the_Manger perfectly symbolizes those who can jump well and who enjoy jumping not wanting more choices, so that people who can’t jump don’t have a fair chance.

Who here is asking for jumping to be taken out of the game, or even out of dailies? Just give us more choices.

@ Elden

Then I don’t see why are you arguing with me, Elden. Did I EVER say I dont want more choices? No, never. In fact, I haven’t read any JP supporter saying “please don’t add more choices” either. That seems what you spect us to do, but… we don’t.

On the other hand, the anti JP threads that began to appear with the JP Daily comeback are just that: anti JP. Hence the manger.

Anet really needs to re-examine this, take them out of the daily rotation and let them go back to being a sidebar in the game for those that like them.

Thanks for illustrating my point, Blude.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

(edited by Ardid.7203)

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

@ Elden

Then I don’t see why are you arguing with me, Elden. Did I EVER say I dont want more choices? No, never. In fact, I haven’t read any JP supporter saying “please don’t add more choices” either. That seems what you spect us to do, but… we don’t.

On the other hand, the anti JP threads that began to appear with the JP Daily comeback are just that: anti JP. Hence the manger.

Anet really needs to re-examine this, take them out of the daily rotation and let them go back to being a sidebar in the game for those that like them.

Thanks for illustrating my point, Blude.

?? What point Anger?(nope) Anti JP hater post?(nope—not anti, I just don’t like them) or the point they are a joke because of the the number of mesmer portals that make JPs skills irrelevant and just a chest farm for for every toon one has when they are active as a daily? (yes)

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

Today it was rather pleasing to discover i could just swim to the base of the JP island and get a portal up there. I initially thought it was another JP I to be avoided due to needing a bit of effort…. ;p

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

You don’t have to do all the dailies.

Now, oftentimes the dailies have poor selection, I would have to say for pve. I usually do the wvw ones. For example, I haven’t ever done the zone event daily since HoT came out and probably more. I think that one is a hassle for all the wrong reasons (notably players competing for events), and would probably prefer it to be regional much like gathering.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

Posted by: RedDeadFred.1256

RedDeadFred.1256

Unrelenting pressure! I know, right? Just the other day, I was doing the Auric Basin meta when suddenly, I was kicked out of the map and FORCED to do the Not So Secret jumping puzzle. Nobody on the map could do it, so we couldn’t get back to Tarir in time to save it. Mordremoth then showed up on my game over screen and said “guess you should have jumped better, Mario! Princess Peach is now forever in my castle!”

C’mon Anet, stop pressuring me to do JPs.