Why updates 30 minutes before reset?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Lycan Nibbler.1567

Lycan Nibbler.1567

Just seems a silly time when people are trying to get their dailies/other things done before reset. It seems to be a regular occurrence now.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

I thought I read you now have 2 hours before you’re forced to update.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Kraggy.4169

Kraggy.4169

Yes you did, you’re correct, that message appeard in-game the moment the build became available .. 1 hr 45 mins message appeared as I’m typing this.

@Lycan Nibbler, the dailies are valid for 24 hours, so leaving it till the last 30 mins is really leaving yourself no room for any sort of delay, isn’kitten.. although this is going to delay it in any case.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Yes but that also means you can’t change maps. On the other hand 30 minutes is enough to do all the dailies on most days.

Posted by: MacroHard.6584

MacroHard.6584

This update completely uninstalled my game and is forcing me to reinstall, anyone else have this issue?

Posted by: Lycan Nibbler.1567

Lycan Nibbler.1567

Yes you did, you’re correct, that message appeard in-game the moment the build became available .. 1 hr 45 mins message appeared as I’m typing this.

@Lycan Nibbler, the dailies are valid for 24 hours, so leaving it till the last 30 mins is really leaving yourself no room for any sort of delay, isn’kitten.. although this is going to delay it in any case.

That may be ok for the people that dont have RL but many times during the week the only time I have is getting home and reset.
30 minutes is ok most time but having to do a reset on the laptop I am currently having to use means at least 5 mins+ of that is taken to sign off, get the new build (that almost always stalls coz of so many people doing it and then logging back in with a crappy slow video card) and then its getting matchups in pvp that will finish in time or wvw ones that can be done.
while it isnt a big thing most times, it seemed much more sensible when they did any update at reset.

You get kicked out at the end of a pvp match so you have to take the new build in the same way you get kicked out of wvw – the 2 hour leeway is only for pve.

Posted by: BuAhmed.9246

BuAhmed.9246

This update completely uninstalled my game and is forcing me to reinstall, anyone else have this issue?

uninstalled the game? didnt happen to me, but i get this error whenever i try to update my client: Unable to verify the Guild Wars 2 executable. Please try again. If the problem presists, uninstall and reinstall the application, or contact customer support.

not sure if its only me, or many people have the same issue right now

Posted by: MacroHard.6584

MacroHard.6584

uninstalled the game? didnt happen to me, but i get this error whenever i try to update my client: Unable to verify the Guild Wars 2 executable. Please try again. If the problem presists, uninstall and reinstall the application, or contact customer support.

Yea it is weird, downloader started for the update and it says 400,000 files to download, i checked my game installation folder and it only has 1.2gb of data in it.

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

Yes but that also means you can’t change maps. On the other hand 30 minutes is enough to do all the dailies on most days.

I’ve been able to freely change maps even after a new build is available for a while now. It doesnt necessarily force you to update until that timer expires.

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

It looks like this time they were fixing 2 major problems. Problems that you don’t let wait.

1. PvP players not being in the starting area when the match starts. With PvP leagues active, this is a major problem if not stopped ASAP.

2. Installer issues. If players can’t install the game they get upset. If they just bought the game, they may ask for a refund if the problem is not resolved quickly. Players who just spent $50+ on a game do not want to spend ages waiting to begin installing the game. Especially those with slower internet speeds.

Sometimes glitches come up that have to be fixed ASAP, not when it’s most convenient. And I’m sure most people will agree that 30 minutes before reset is not the most convenient time.

Just be glad that we aren’t like some MMO’s that have to take the game down for a couple of hours to patch.

Posted by: Lucky Shot.8740

Lucky Shot.8740

Just seems a silly time when people are trying to get their dailies/other things done before reset. It seems to be a regular occurrence now.

So it won’t interrupt the Dragonstand meta or Tequatl.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

It looks like this time they were fixing 2 major problems. Problems that you don’t let wait.

1. PvP players not being in the starting area when the match starts. With PvP leagues active, this is a major problem if not stopped ASAP.

2. Installer issues. If players can’t install the game they get upset. If they just bought the game, they may ask for a refund if the problem is not resolved quickly. Players who just spent $50+ on a game do not want to spend ages waiting to begin installing the game. Especially those with slower internet speeds.

Sometimes glitches come up that have to be fixed ASAP, not when it’s most convenient. And I’m sure most people will agree that 30 minutes before reset is not the most convenient time.

Just be glad that we aren’t like some MMO’s that have to take the game down for a couple of hours to patch.

Although 2. seems to have a problem of its own where it is uninstalling people’s game …

Posted by: Aceofsppades.6873

Aceofsppades.6873

It’s important to note that reset is 5pm pst (where anet’s office is) so it’s right around the end of the work day and that might have something to do with it.

Posted by: Ellieanna.5027

Ellieanna.5027

That may be ok for the people that dont have RL but many times during the week the only time I have is getting home and reset.
30 minutes is ok most time but having to do a reset on the laptop I am currently having to use means at least 5 mins+ of that is taken to sign off, get the new build (that almost always stalls coz of so many people doing it and then logging back in with a crappy slow video card) and then its getting matchups in pvp that will finish in time or wvw ones that can be done.
while it isnt a big thing most times, it seemed much more sensible when they did any update at reset.

You get kicked out at the end of a pvp match so you have to take the new build in the same way you get kicked out of wvw – the 2 hour leeway is only for pve.

If you have 30 minutes before reset to do them, why not do them during the 30 minutes after reset instead?

I’m a Moose, a ginger moose even.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

There’s a reason for the timing. A half hour before reset is 4:30 PM in Seattle where Anet’s office is. It’s near the end of the day, so any changes they’ve had a lot of the day to work on the fixes, and they’ll be around a bit longer if there’s an unforeseen problem.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

The options are:

• ANet releases updates as soon as available during their business hours.
  • They postpone updates until their business hours the next day.

Both cases will be bad timing for lots of people, but the second case means living with bugs longer.

Thus, in the end, it’s better for the overall community for ANet to patch the game sooner rather than later. The amount of inconvenience to a few people is dwarfed by the benefits to a larger group.

Plus, it’s not as if the game has a lot of downtime. Heck, it’s more reliable than some people’s ISPs.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

For a lot of people in the Americas reset time is right in the middle of prime-time (evening). If you’re at work during the day you don’t have a lot of options for when to play. Especially if you’re at work during the day and then have to get the kids their dinner, walk the dog, get the kids to bed and everything else.

So if you start doing your dailies, get part way finished and then have to download an update you could easily be left without enough time to complete them before the reset and not enough time to play to do all 3 afterwards.

Edit: And if they schedule the update for earlier in the day (which as someone else said would mean holding it until the day after it’s ready) then it will conflict with prime-time in Europe and you hit exactly the same problem with people being unable to play during the only window they have.

Admittedly that’s a bit more flexible because the reset doesn’t hit until midnight (or 1, or 2am) in Europe, so people could stay up to finish dailies, but that’s not ideal when you need to work the next day.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

(edited by Danikat.8537)

Posted by: Banchou.5628

Banchou.5628

I know that is too late but you can change maps (pve ones), chars and even create a new one during these 2 hours, they changed this some builds ago. You can’t go to a guild hall and I don’t know about if you can do pvp during this time.

Here this message appears because my antivirus insists to block the game every build since QoL one.

Posted by: Incarnadine.1652

Incarnadine.1652

You have 24 whole hours to get your dailies done, and you’re complaining about a once a month or so event where you, through your own lack of action, have decided to cram your dailies into a half an hour before reset? Even then downloading the new build is a matter of seconds and restarting the game a matter of a minute. I don’t see how there’s a problem here.

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

You have 24 whole hours to get your dailies done, and you’re complaining about a once a month or so event where you, through your own lack of action, have decided to cram your dailies into a half an hour before reset? Even then downloading the new build is a matter of seconds and restarting the game a matter of a minute. I don’t see how there’s a problem here.

As already mentioned, a large number of people are adults with real life things to do and the timing of the daily reset does not fit well with their adult real life schedules.

The problem is definitely one that exists for some people.

To the OP: The update was a high priority one since PvP was being impacted which is why they dropped the patch as soon as it was ready.

Server: Devona’s Rest

(edited by mtpelion.4562)

Posted by: Incarnadine.1652

Incarnadine.1652

As already mentioned, a large number of people are adults with real life things to do and the timing of the daily reset does not fit well with their adult real life schedules.

To the OP: The update was a high priority one since PvP was being impacted which is why they dropped the patch as soon as it was ready.

I guess I still don’t understand how, in a 24 hour time period, an update once in a while before reset is an issue. There’s a whole world of players out there. Please explain who these “large numbers of adults” are with their “real life things to do” that have such poor time scheduling that, over the course of one THOUSAND, four HUNDRED and forty minutes in the entire day, they can’t somehow deal with downloading an update and reloading the game which takes maybe 2 minutes tops.

Honestly, if these large numbers of adults are so poorly organized that they can’t schedule their gaming time, the timing of an occasional update is the least of their worries.

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

I guess I still don’t understand how, in a 24 hour time period, an update once in a while before reset is an issue. There’s a whole world of players out there. Please explain who these “large numbers of adults” are with their “real life things to do” that have such poor time scheduling that, over the course of one THOUSAND, four HUNDRED and forty minutes in the entire day, they can’t somehow deal with downloading an update and reloading the game which takes maybe 2 minutes tops.

Honestly, if these large numbers of adults are so poorly organized that they can’t schedule their gaming time, the timing of an occasional update is the least of their worries.

They could schedule their gaming time for around reset time. Other hours may be for family time or preparing lunches for kids for the next day.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

…they can’t somehow deal with downloading an update and reloading the game which takes maybe 2 minutes tops.

On my old DSL, when everyone else was DLing the same update, it took me 20-30 minutes to download some of the minor patches.

(I still think that people should accept that updates cannot possibly be at a convenient time for everyone. Still, let’s not pretend that there’s no impact at all to people who only have 1-2 hrs/day to play.)

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

If you have only an hour or two to play and that hour or two happens to be split across reset time, you get between 30 minutes and 1 hour to get your dailies done. Some days that is really easy. Some days it isn’t. If you have a day where it isn’t AND you have to log out and wait for an update you lose out on your daily.

Gaming is a recreational activity. That means that for adults, you fit it into whatever time you have left over after all of the actual life stuff is done. You don’t necessarily get to decide when that is.

Server: Devona’s Rest

Posted by: EdgarMTanaka.7291

EdgarMTanaka.7291

I think the install problem has to do with the forced to use 64bit gw2 now. I got it when it was in beta, I then had my gw2 on d: but I just run the GW2 64 bit launcher as soon as I downloaded it and then it started installing everything a new. So my bet is that the game puts the GW2 64 bit .exe somewhere else than your original location of Gw2. Not sure. Just guessing.

Member of Alpha Swedish Gaming Community – http://www.alphas.se/
Guild Leader of Alpha Sgc [ASGC]