Why-vern

Why-vern

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

Before it becomes a thing, Wyvern is pronounced as (why-vern).
/end

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

Why-vern

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

Well, if we’re going to be proscriptive, maybe we should go back to the root of the word.

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=wyvern

If “wyvern” is derived from the latin word “vipera”, the “v” is pronounced as “w”, and the “i” would be a short vowel. Pronouncing the “i” as “ae” would be incorrect, and the “i” would be pronounced as it is in “whip”.

This only applies if we’re being proscriptive instead of descriptive though. ;p

Why-vern

DeWolfe.2174

Yes, and on that webpage you linked, there is another link to Dictionary.com. From there you can click on the little speaker icon to hear how it’s pronounced.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

Why-vern

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

So, not why Vern?

Attachments:

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Why-vern

Posted by: Shaaba.5672

Shaaba.5672

And it matters because … ?

Why-vern

Posted by: CETheLucid.3964

CETheLucid.3964

Nexxe’s proscription supports my natural inclination. So I’ll still be calling them whi-verns, tyvm.

Why-vern

Posted by: Greyhound.2058

Greyhound.2058

LOL Wooden Potatoes has been driving me nuts with his Wivvern-ing…now you guys too?! Wind-up merchants

Why-vern

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

There’s complaints about this but not JORmag?
I blame Loki. /fistshake

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Why-vern

Posted by: Naevius.3185

Naevius.3185

Whine-verns……………………

Why-vern

Rauderi.8706

Whine-verns……………………

Aww, you said what I was thinking.
+1

I now go back to my world of kittehs and doges while I prepare my forces against the dargon Mordymoff.

Many alts; handle it!
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Why-vern

Posted by: Wylf.2586

Wylf.2586

~clears throat~ Because-vern.

’twas right, said they, such birds to slay, that bring the fog and mist.

Nilfa, Asura Thief, Devona’s Rest

Why-vern

Posted by: Naqaj.6219

Naqaj.6219

Dictonary shows both pronounciations are applicable: why-vern and wiv-vern.

Why-vern

Posted by: RashanDale.3609

RashanDale.3609

Wee Vern?
Wü Vern?
Dragon?

ill probably stick to those three, just to annoy people

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140
Gunnar’s Hold

Why-vern

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

Why vern? Bah! That’s not important. What’s important is, it’s RANG-ur, not RAIN-jur! As in, the bell rang. Who rang it? The ranger!

See also: ree VEN ant. And el em en TAL ist.

Because no wing is half the battle. See: Zhaitan (zie-TUN).

The table is a fable.

Why-vern

Posted by: yolo swaggins.2570

yolo swaggins.2570

Why?

Liaison for [Teef]
“Please stop complaining about stuff you don’t even know about.” ~Nocta

Why-vern

Posted by: Naus the Gobbo.5172

Naus the Gobbo.5172

Wai-verne.

What we do in life echoes in eternity
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6zkT2uZAGA – GW2 – A world of wonder

Why-vern

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I’m with Matt Visual: let’s just call them Dragons. Little ones, to be sure. (Heck, if folks can consistently refer to an Elder Dragon’s mere Lieutenant by its boss’ name , I don’t see any trouble with calling Wyverns by a completely different name.)

Alternatively, I would love for ANet to actually tell us (in an official way) how they think Tyrians should pronounce the name (and perhaps its different among the different races, e.g. perhaps Asura say why-vern, but charr say vie-vurn, and grouch-o says, why-not?)

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Why-vern

Posted by: MokahTGS.7850

MokahTGS.7850

Pretty sure on release day they will just be called “ohcraplookoutimonfireimonfireimonfirecanigetarezplz”

Why-vern

Posted by: Greyhound.2058

Greyhound.2058

Lol ‘burning, burning, burning!!’ <—— my asura

Why-vern

DeWolfe.2174

LOL Wooden Potatoes has been driving me nuts with his Wivvern-ing…now you guys too?! Wind-up merchants

LoL, W.P. was pretty much what instigated this thread. Bog Otter mentioned “Wivering” in one of his videos too. After watching so much content yesterday and the myriad of way’s people pronounced it, I figured this would be a fun topic to poke at.

And yes, Jim Varney was in my thoughts when I made the title

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

Why-vern

Posted by: LucosTheDutch.4819

LucosTheDutch.4819

I’m with Matt Visual: let’s just call them Dragons. Little ones, to be sure. (Heck, if folks can consistently refer to an Elder Dragon’s mere Lieutenant by its boss’ name , I don’t see any trouble with calling Wyverns by a completely different name.)

A wyvern isn’t a dragon. In fact in most folklore a wyvern has more in common with a basilisk or a mix between a bird and a serpent.

Claw of Jormag is Claw of Jormag, not Jormag himself. Most people I know refer to him as Claw for short, not as Jormag for short. But people who don’t know much about the lore might make the mistake and call him Jormag, just like people who don’t know much about European folklore might make the mistake to think a wyvern is a dragon and/or call it a “wih-vern” instead of how it should be pronounced: “why-vern”.

Why-vern

DeWolfe.2174

Lol ‘burning, burning, burning!!’ <—— my asura

My brain went to Sid Caesar saying “Oh… we on Fiya!!!” in “It’s a Mad Mad Mad Mad World”.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

Why-vern

Rauderi.8706

A wyvern isn’t a dragon. In fact in most folklore a wyvern has more in common with a basilisk or a mix between a bird and a serpent.

Claw of Jormag is Claw of Jormag, not Jormag himself. Most people I know refer to him as Claw for short, not as Jormag for short. But people who don’t know much about the lore might make the mistake and call him Jormag, just like people who don’t know much about European folklore might make the mistake to think a wyvern is a dragon and/or call it a “wih-vern” instead of how it should be pronounced: “why-vern”.

I call it Jormag (with a Y) all the time. =P
Because if I say “claw”, half of the Charr community will turn around, thinking I called their name.

Many alts; handle it!

Why-vern

Posted by: Wylf.2586

Wylf.2586

Because if I say “claw”, half of the Charr community will turn around, thinking I called their name.

There’s an idea for a new Char( r)-name – Jor Magclaw!

’twas right, said they, such birds to slay, that bring the fog and mist.

Nilfa, Asura Thief, Devona’s Rest

Why-vern

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

Wyverne and Shirley?

Attachments:

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Why-vern

Posted by: DanteZero.9736

DanteZero.9736

Wyverne and Shirley?

HA!

Also, the most common pronunciations I have heard are “why-vern” and “wi-vern” with the second version’s first syllable similar to the word “wicked.”

Why-vern

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

Wyverne and Shirley?

HA!

Also, the most common pronunciations I have heard are “why-vern” and “wi-vern” with the second version’s first syllable similar to the word “wicked.”

I think Colin prefers the 2nd one.

What about Nintendo Wii-Vern?

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Why-vern

Posted by: corrosivechains.5476

corrosivechains.5476

In Disney’s Gargoyles, it was pronounced Wih-vern, not Why-vern, and like any educated and intelligent person in the world, I base all my pronunciations on Gargoyles, because Gargoyles was the greatest kitten ed cartoon ever.

Why-vern

Posted by: Andred.1087

Andred.1087

I fully expect the pronunciation I am less comfortable with (wih-vern), as that seems to be the trend in GW2. I’m looking at you, Geormag.

“You’ll PAY to know what you really think.” ~ J. R. “Bob” Dobbs

Why-vern

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

Meanwhile I’m still cringing every time I have to listen to a character in the game say ‘sen-tar’ rather than ‘sen-taw’.

Why-vern

Posted by: Andred.1087

Andred.1087

Meanwhile I’m still cringing every time I have to listen to a character in the game say ‘sen-tar’ rather than ‘sen-taw’.

Forgive me, but I have never heard a single person say ‘sen-taw’ in any context. I believe this is because of the obvious ‘r’ at the end of the word.

“You’ll PAY to know what you really think.” ~ J. R. “Bob” Dobbs

Why-vern

Posted by: Ethros.1453

Ethros.1453

That would be an awesome face to impose on them though. Imagine fighting one and it turns to look at you.

~Mr. Illuminati
Inspiration is only as good as it’s interpreter

Why-vern

Rauderi.8706

Forgive me, but I have never heard a single person say ‘sen-taw’ in any context. I believe this is because of the obvious ‘r’ at the end of the word.

This thread is filled with so much sawchasm that I’m not sure if anyone’s serious anymore. Also, I can totally imagine an American southern drawl or Bostonian r-dropper to say it that way. =P

Many alts; handle it!

Why-vern

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

In Disney’s Gargoyles, it was pronounced Wih-vern, not Why-vern, and like any educated and intelligent person in the world, I base all my pronunciations on Gargoyles, because Gargoyles was the greatest kitten ed cartoon ever.

I disagree.

“Batman: the Animated Series” is a nice hot contender for that, if we’re only counting western/NA cartoons.

. . . and not CGI, otherwise I have “Reboot” as another contender.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.