Why we NEED Ascended gear

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: rjnemer.7816

rjnemer.7816

Fractals. So sick of only doing fotm 48. I cant wait till they remove the cap and they are revamped later this year!

“If you want to get rid of “zerk” you have to make content
hard enough to make them cry, not just rivers but oceans."

Posted by: Denial Of Service.5732

Denial Of Service.5732

Fractals. So sick of only doing fotm 48. I cant wait till they remove the cap and they are revamped later this year!

and this ladies and gentlemen is how gear treadmill starts.

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

Nope. You’ve been fooled by Anet. What you need is more AR. Anet could have just added infusion slots to Exotics for fractal players. Higher stats were never necessary for fractals. Fractals was just a flimsy excuse that Anet used to introduce higher stats Ascended gear.

rjnemer.7816

Nope. You’ve been fooled by Anet. What you need is more AR. Anet could have just added infusion slots to Exotics for fractal players. Higher stats were never necessary for fractals. Fractals was just a flimsy excuse that Anet used to introduce higher stats Ascended gear.

True, but anets way of making content harder is adding more health to bosses so the extra damage is nice.

Making harder content that doesnt do this (especially without the trinity) is a whole other topic though

Also, CJ said at PAX that exotics were not intended to be so easy to get. Thats why they added ascended in the first place.

Posted by: azurrei.5691

azurrei.5691

And this is also how they create content without it really being content…lol. Fractals are like being hooked up to an electric shock machine and with each level the volts are cranked higher (better get that agony resistance…,) even though the content is pretty much exactly the same otherwise. About as entertaining (IMO) as getting those shocks…

Posted by: Spiral Architect.6540

Spiral Architect.6540

Also, CJ said at PAX that exotics were not intended to be so easy to get. Thats why they added ascended in the first place.

I don’t really buy that. If exotics were truly not intended to be so easy to get, why did they make them craftable? Why did they make them available for dungeon tokens? Why did they include them in the drop tables?

And then there’s this, taken from here :

“Colin Johanson: Everyone, including casual gamers, by level 80 should have the best statistical loot in the game. We want everyone on an equal power base. The rare stuff becomes the really awesome looking armours. It’s all about collecting the unique looking stuff and collecting all the other rare collectable items in the game: armour pieces, potentially different potions – a lot of that is still up in the air and we’ll finalise a lot of those reward systems as we get closer to release. And those come off of things like the bosses at the end of dungeons – the raids.”

Colin’s statement at PAX strikes me as just spin and smokescreen, concocted to try and get people to shut up about ArenaNet’s about face on the ascended gear release.

rjnemer.7816

And this is also how they create content without it really being content…lol. Fractals are like being hooked up to an electric shock machine and with each level the volts are cranked higher (better get that agony resistance…,) even though the content is pretty much exactly the same otherwise. About as entertaining (IMO) as getting those shocks…

All this living story crap is creating content without it really being content. Its all a bunch of crap that is used to put more crap into the gem store.

Posted by: Nikaido.3457

Nikaido.3457

And even on a gear treadmill basis they could have unlocked fotm 50+ already. 55 AR is too much for 48 because it makes agony a joke and gives incentive to bad pugs to do higher level runs. AR should never negate the agony of the highest unlocked level so strongly that the mechanic becomes pointless. Agony should always be something you should dodge at the highest levels unlocked.

They didn’t unlock 50+ yet because they don’t give a crap about the content. They don’t want to give you more content they want you to grind mindless stuff. Go, kill some more jormag and teqatl.

- “No tears, please. It’s a waste of good suffering.”

(edited by Nikaido.3457)

rjnemer.7816

And even on a gear treadmill basis they could have unlocked fotm 50+ already. 55 AR is too much for 48 because it makes agony a joke and gives incentive to bad pugs to do higher level runs. AR should never negate the agony of the highest unlocked level so strongly that the mechanic becomes pointless. Agony should always be something you should dodge at the highest levels unlocked.

They didn’t unlock 50+ yet because they don’t give a crap about the content. They don’t want to give you more content they want you to grind mindless stuff. Go, kill some more jormag and teqatl.

But but but tequatl is getting a revamp! An open world event that will be “challenging and require strategy”! Its what we wanted right?!

/s

Lord Kuru.3685

I don’t really buy that. If exotics were truly not intended to be so easy to get, why did they make them craftable? Why did they make them available for dungeon tokens? Why did they include them in the drop tables?

And then there’s this, taken from here :

“Colin Johanson: Everyone, including casual gamers, by level 80 should have the best statistical loot in the game. We want everyone on an equal power base. The rare stuff becomes the really awesome looking armours. It’s all about collecting the unique looking stuff and collecting all the other rare collectable items in the game: armour pieces, potentially different potions – a lot of that is still up in the air and we’ll finalise a lot of those reward systems as we get closer to release. And those come off of things like the bosses at the end of dungeons – the raids.”

Colin’s statement at PAX strikes me as just spin and smokescreen, concocted to try and get people to shut up about ArenaNet’s about face on the ascended gear release.

Exactly this. Yet another lie.

Posted by: TainoFuerte.8136

TainoFuerte.8136

There’s little doubt in me that such is the case.

How else would you defend the indefensible?

“Uh but you don’t really need to get it”

“Uh we should have had it before”

“Uh you didn’t understand us right when we talked before about those things we said”

“Uh but this time frame was always intended, it’s the players’ fault”

“Uh things change”

Etc.

All excuses and semantics. All worthless.

Posted by: MikaHR.1978

MikaHR.1978

True, but anets way of making content harder is adding more health to bosses so the extra damage is nice.

Making harder content that doesnt do this (especially without the trinity) is a whole other topic though

Read my signature.

Colin Johanson: “Everyone, including casual gamers, by level 80 should have the
best statistical loot in the game. We want everyone on an equal power base.”

Posted by: Chewablesleeptablet.3185

Chewablesleeptablet.3185

If only there was a set amount of objectives to get your character ascended like in GW1. After getting ascended you could just transform your existing exotics into ascended armor like you did to help you fight against the Mursaat in GW1. Except that in GW2 it would give you agony resistance for fractals.

Why didn’t Anet go this route? I wouldn’t say they were lazy. I would just have to say they had to do something to keep those traditional MMO players, but it kind of enraged a small vocal minority.

Lord Kuru.3685

If only there was a set amount of objectives to get your character ascended like in GW1. After getting ascended you could just transform your existing exotics into ascended armor like you did to help you fight against the Mursaat in GW1. Except that in GW2 it would give you agony resistance for fractals.

Why didn’t Anet go this route? I wouldn’t say they were lazy. I would just have to say they had to do something to keep those traditional MMO players, but it kind of enraged a small vocal minority.

But Anet’s original intention was not to cater to traditional MMO players, but rather to casuals and MMO players that were sick of gear grind, hence the (now infamous) Colin Johnson quote. But at some point, Anet got greedy or panicked (probably greed), changed their minds and are shifting more and more towards becoming a traditional MMO.

Posted by: wmtyrance.3571

wmtyrance.3571

Just wait and see what happens in 6 months. Those same QQ players will complain about needing new gear. Yeah i have a bad feeling for this game down the road.

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

Infusions were an ABOMINATION from the beginning.

The fact they felt it necessary to put TWO slots for in the 2-handed weapons is just another bad Omen of more bad things to come….

All I can say is thank goodness Gnashblade lost….
I didn’t want to have to run Fractals just to see…
the Mursaat fighting the Margonites and their mages/titans who never would have existed in the first place if the Seers hadn't constructed the Bloodstone

MikaHR.1978

Just wait and see what happens in 6 months. Those same QQ players will complain about needing new gear. Yeah i have a bad feeling for this game down the road.

Everyone that gave it 5 seconds of rational thought figured it out.

You will get new gear every few months to grind, and when all avenues with ascended are exhausted it will be either level cap raise or new tier. It depends on will they have expansion with new content for level cap raise ready by then.

And level cap raise will send you on new treadmill because you will start from greens again. But with much much longer grind than at launch.

(edited by MikaHR.1978)

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

And the fun thing is Fractals do not really need that mechanics at all, Agony is there only to make you get ascended gear. A completely artificial gear check.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

MikaHR.1978

And the fun thing is Fractals do not really need that mechanics at all, Agony is there only to make you get ascended gear. A completely artificial gear check.

Every gear check ever made in any game is completely artificial.

Lord Kuru.3685

True. Instead of making AI harder or giving mobs more useful
skills (condi removal, for example), they went the lazy way with AR. Looking back now, that was a sign of things to come.

Posted by: MrRuin.9740

MrRuin.9740

This is partially right because they could still have introduced Ascended gear at the same stat level as Exotic – only with Infusion slots for AR instead of a sigil or with an option to infuse an AR stat directly on the weapon itself for Fractals.