Why we hear nothing but Silence from ANet?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Nage.1520

Nage.1520

@Morrigan
More to the point, it’s been a week since the patch went up, during which time we’ve had several new builds, we’ve had a holiday weekend and we still have the China launch. I’m sure everyone is flat out.

This is the thing that leaves a really bad taste in my mouth and why I’ve been so upset with their course over the last couple of months. I totally agree that it is there product and they can do what they want with it but the fact of the matter is I am completely ticked off that the support I’ve given them through the gem shop has been rerouted into this. It is irresponsible and greedy to take away resources from players in NA and EU to push the China product through and there is no doubt that is exactly what has happened.

Why should we care about China and their release it means nothing to us as a players in NA or EU, except that they have taken potential content from us to pave the way for more sales in another country and the quality of what we have received has suffered. Had the resources not been pulled we would have had a major expansion by now. In my opinion this whole LS exercise was nothing but a clever ploy to keep us all placated while pulling the main force of the developers to complete the launch for China because there is no way that 300+ developers could only achieve the content given to us these last 18 months.

Once I realized this was the case I did the only thing I could do which was stop buying gems and as mentioned will keep my wallet closed until they release an expansion, we get the proper amount of support on current bugs and in game issues.

This is how all companies work. If I was in a store and opened a new store, the resources go to building that store. That’s how companies work. If not, no company would ever expand.

When companies expand it takes investment, which takes money, time and energy. If your’e mad about it you’re not only unrealistic but completely unfair.

Because when the cash flow from China hits that will massively benefit us. The money will go to upgrading the game as a whole, not just China.

It’s an investment for all of us.

Posted by: timmyf.1490

timmyf.1490

Tbh, I don’t expect them to talk I expect them to care.

They care. This is their life. It is their work. It is their play. They live and breathe this game just as much, if not more, as many of us.

This is what gets me so upset. Saying that they don’t care is just beyond comprehension.

Maybe they dropped the ball, or failed to account for important information, or didn’t follow through. But they don’t care?

Ridiculous.

Karaoke – Guild Leader – [MEGA] Super Mega Happy Fun Time
www.getunicorned.com / northernshiverpeaks.org

Posted by: Pirlipat.2479

Pirlipat.2479

They care. This is their life. It is their work. It is their play. They live and breathe this game just as much, if not more, as many of us.

This is what gets me so upset. Saying that they don’t care is just beyond comprehension.

Maybe they dropped the ball, or failed to account for important information, or didn’t follow through. But they don’t care?

Ridiculous.

They might care about some major things. But from how they reacted in the past I am very, very certain that there will be people who fall off the table. If the biggest rage is stilled they do not matter anymore.

Posted by: Dusty Moon.4382

Dusty Moon.4382

Don’t scream please.^^ And yes they change their plans no matter how many concerns got raised before polishing the system and forcing it on all maps.

When the Mega-Server got announced I had concerns but I didn’t make alot of drama. When it went live I was willing to give that stuff a chance. I encountered some weired stuff but anyway I thought “hey they got plenty of time to polish it until it gets released everywhere”. And dumb as I was I really thought they would take all the concerns that got raised into consideration before they spread it on all maps.

Haha, I was pretty wrong. I came back from my easter-hollidays and everything is turned into a Megaserver. They try to change a few things but I have my doubts that they care enough to make it likeable for everyone.

THEIR GAME – THEIR VISION, not yours. You have not coded, put blood, sweat and yes, tears into this game and playing doesn’t count.

This game is very complex, like most games. They are trying to deal with all the lag people have been complaining about by doing something with the servers. Will there be hiccups, of course. Will players let them fix things – no they always want it yesterday as most have this attitude of ‘entitlement’. I would say something different but since this game is B2P and no sub fee, I feel they are doing their best they can.

Pirlipat.2479

I didn’t want the mega-server yesterday, I wanted it when it’s ready.

Dusty Moon.4382

You know, you can test all you want but until it is rolled out, you never know what is going to happen. This is coming from an applications person – there are NEVER smooth rollouts, NEVER.

timmyf.1490

You know, you can test all you want but until it is rolled out, you never know what is going to happen. This is coming from an applications person – there are NEVER smooth rollouts, NEVER.

As somebody who works in enterprise software consulting, I was expecting Megaserver to be a technical disaster. It was not. It was shockingly smooth.

Language issues may be a design disaster, but they are NOT a technical disaster. The code was tested well and worked impeccably.

Pirlipat.2479

So you better tell your customers in advance: “hey we take some time to implement it. Before we try it on a few parts” and if they don’t like it you hurry even more just because you hope they shut up after a while?

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

IMO if we heard something from them it would be paramount to them admitting that they screwed up and that will never happen.

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

Posted by: shawn.1298

shawn.1298

THEIR GAME – THEIR VISION, not yours. You have not coded, put blood, sweat and yes, tears into this game and playing doesn’t count.

This is pretty much the sentiment that led RIFT to fall from a promising game to a game that can’t get above 45 even as free to play. Start blaming the complainers and you’ll have no game.

Posted by: MightyMicah.7451

MightyMicah.7451

When the entire forum is cheering for the devs’ deaths after the recent patch, I think if I were a dev, I’d remain quiet as well. Just my two cents…

This is that new sound. Ya’ll ain’t ready.

timmyf.1490

So you better tell your customers in advance: “hey we take some time to implement it. Before we try it on a few parts” and if they don’t like it you hurry even more just because you hope they shut up after a while?

In the case of Megaserver, the product was delivered as documented ahead of schedule. That seems like a success.

Your issue is that you don’t like the product. That can be changed, but it means redesigning core features at an additional time and cost.

This is a pretty typical set of lines we deliver to our customers all the time. (And yes, we are wildly profitable.)

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

As somebody who works in enterprise software consulting, I was expecting Megaserver to be a technical disaster. It was not. It was shockingly smooth.

Language issues may be a design disaster, but they are NOT a technical disaster. The code was tested well and worked impeccably.

But it does not work impeccably.

It does not do what they said it would- namely selection criteria based on server, friends, party and guild.

So no, sorry to say the code does not do what it is supposed to and the launch was not shockingly smooth.

My husband is a developer :P

Gunnar’s Hold

Pirlipat.2479

In the case of Megaserver, the product was delivered as documented ahead of schedule. That seems like a success.

I had no influence on that particular product at all. I didn’t order it. So for their “schedule” and I have no doubt that they see it that way it is a success. But for their customers? They may care for their product do they really care for their users?

Dusty Moon.4382

This is pretty much the sentiment that led RIFT to fall from a promising game to a game that can’t get above 45 even as free to play. Start blaming the complainers and you’ll have no game.

Sorry – I was playing Rift and stopped playing BECAUSE TRION LISTENED TO WHINERS, not being true to their own vision. The complainers ruined Rift, no one else. A great example was the 3 faction PvP – Complainers wanted it and the developers put it in the game but there was only 2 Factions in the game and lore.

Constructive criticism is absolutely fine and warranted. But the complaining in most of these thread is unwarranted and just screams of ‘Entitlement’ and ‘my opinion is the most important’.

timmyf.1490

Then your husband would probably already know about this, but for your own enjoyment: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-3brk033qb_w/UEwvqbaNpuI/AAAAAAAAACg/0ibWms5-XpY/s640/Screen+Shot+2012-09-05+at+1.45.33+AM.png

Dusty Moon.4382

I had no influence on that particular product at all. I didn’t order it. So for their “schedule” and I have no doubt that they see it that way it is a success. But for their customers? They may care for their product do they really care for their users?

Sure you did but you were in the minority – it happens in all walks of life. I like CD players in cars but many of the auto manufacturers are getting rid of them. I had no influence in that decision either. and that is way more expensive purchase than a video game.

You are one of MANY customers – they have to please as many as they can. I am letting it play out and see where the chips fall.

(edited by Dusty Moon.4382)

Im Mudbone.1437

Your issue is that you don’t like the product. That can be changed, but it means redesigning core features at an additional time and cost.

This is a pretty typical set of lines we deliver to our customers all the time. (And yes, we are wildly profitable.)

It’s so funny that your last two paragraphs make you sound less like just a GW2 gamer and more like an employee.

Pirlipat.2479

Oh the majority minority game again. Can you please show me some numbers about that great majority who loves it? I think neither me nor you have a clue what a majority thinks.

Posted by: Frotee.2634

Frotee.2634

How about: They are hard at working prepearing for the launch in China?
Trying to figure out how to solve some of the problems which arose with this patch?
Actually doing the work they are paid to do (which, for most of them, probably doesn’t include posting on the forums)?

Polka will never die

timmyf.1490

It’s so funny that your last two paragraphs make you sound less like just a GW2 gamer and more like an employee.

That’s the point. For those of us who do this sort of thing for a living, we understand it. I don’t work at Arena. I’ve never met anybody from Arena. Apart from a few interactions in game, on the forums, and once or twice on Twitter, I’ve never spoken to anybody from Arena.

As somebody who has a job in a related field, though, I know what happens behind the scenes. They don’t like to – and shouldn’t – talk about their internal processes. But if you’ve gone through it before, you’re much less likely to criticize.

We have a phrase here in the US that our EU friends may not get, but just in case: “Monday Morning Quarterbacking.” It’s very easy for somebody to criticize something they don’t understand and do not have the knowledge or talent to do themselves. It’s also not very helpful.

Posted by: Mal.1670

Mal.1670

Can you really “hear” silence? I mean come on, silence is the absence of sound. How does one aurally perceive the absence of sound? Yes I am being a kitten because Arenanet is doing work behind the scenes you impatient kids lmao……… good god the forums are getting more toxic by the minute

timmyf.1490

Let me give an example of useful feedback…

ArenaNet-

As the leader of a large guild that likes to do guild missions regularly (with about 80-100 people at a time), we’re running into an issue with Megaserver. Previously, when we loaded into a zone, we’d create an overflow and then taxi our members into that overflow. It was a timely process, but we all eventually got there.

With Megaserver, this doesn’t seem to be working. We get split up into a few Megaservers, but because none of them are empty like the overflow, there’s too many other people already there to fit our whole guild.

This has made it incredibly difficult to do guild missions, especially Puzzle, Rush, and Challenge (where Bounty is a bit easier because you can just split to different targets.)

As a suggested solution, if a player maps into a zone where the guild has an active mission, perhaps the server will “reserve” room for all online, representing members? If there aren’t 80-100 spots on a Megaserver, it would create a new Megaserver map for the guild. This would mean we’d have to launch the mission before we waypoint in, but we usually do that anyway.

That is how you give feedback. Not “omg Anet ruined teh game bcuz gemstore kitten off you suck.”

Posted by: ceol.9175

ceol.9175

There absolutely isn’t enough communication with the community. Look at Square Enix/Naoki Yoshida. They’re communicating and interacting with their community just as much — if not more — and they’re halfway across the world and speak a different language. They make sure there are community liaisons in lots of threads and that bug reports get at least some sort of response, and the project lead himself answers questions and concerns from the community every couple of months in a video (that showcases stuff they haven’t already explained in blog posts cough readyup cough) If there’s a large concern from the community about something, they get a response, even if it’s just, “Hey sorry but this is working as intended. Here are some things to try.”

But see, ArenaNet doesn’t care about the people who hang around the forums. They make up maybe 5% of the playerbase. The other 95% play the game and spend gems no matter how the devs communicate. So I guess either get used to the idea of ArenaNet not giving a kitten about you, or go play a game that actually listens to and talks with their community.

Pirlipat.2479

That is how you give feedback. Not “omg Anet ruined teh game bcuz gemstore kitten off you suck.”

Have you read any of the feedback I wrote in the mega-server-threads? You are not respectfull yourself with your fellow forum-users. In fact it was your insulting way to brush away loads of well-worded feedback from many users as pure flaming that made me answer you.

timmyf.1490

Have you read any of the feedback I wrote in the mega-server-threads? You are not respectfull yourself with your fellow forum-users. In fact it was your insulting way to brush away loads of well-worded feedback from many users as pure flaming that made me answer you.

Pirli, I’m speaking more about the aggregate forum feedback across many threads and many months. There are definitely individuals providing solid feedback and criticism and there is definitely criticism that can be – and should be – made.

I gave an example above both of valid criticism and a format and language that I feel is both appropriate and helpful.

I am not attempting to criticize feedback that you gave as an individual, nor am I attempting to single out any other person providing feedback. Picking on individuals would not be a helpful thing for me to do. It would be easy, though, as browsing the top threads can give dozens of examples of people responding in very poor fashion.

To reiterate my main point: you will get more and better developer interaction by providing constructive feedback in the manner I presented in my example above.

Pirlipat.2479

Look, and I talk about feelings and about visions because I think they do sell not a technical software they sell images, visions and feelings with their product too.

Gaming is not only a technical process where you press a few buttons. And atm I feel like I am their lab-rat because they push something without even giving a hint that it would get implemented that fast.

Morrigan.2809

Then your husband would probably already know about this, but for your own enjoyment: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-3brk033qb_w/UEwvqbaNpuI/AAAAAAAAACg/0ibWms5-XpY/s640/Screen+Shot+2012-09-05+at+1.45.33+AM.png

I must admit that was amazing
thanks
way too true

Gunnar’s Hold

Dusty Moon.4382

There absolutely isn’t enough communication with the community. Look at Square Enix/Naoki Yoshida. They’re communicating and interacting with their community just as much — if not more — and they’re halfway across the world and speak a different language. They make sure there are community liaisons in lots of threads and that bug reports get at least some sort of response, and the project lead himself answers questions and concerns from the community every couple of months in a video (that showcases stuff they haven’t already explained in blog posts cough readyup cough) If there’s a large concern from the community about something, they get a response, even if it’s just, “Hey sorry but this is working as intended. Here are some things to try.”

But see, ArenaNet doesn’t care about the people who hang around the forums. They make up maybe 5% of the playerbase. The other 95% play the game and spend gems no matter how the devs communicate. So I guess either get used to the idea of ArenaNet not giving a kitten about you, or go play a game that actually listens to and talks with their community.

There is plenty of info from A.Net. As they said, they want players to learn about some of the things they added in the game, like how heart rewards are given – which has changed with the last patch and that is nice.

About Square Enix, if they would have listened to players, they wouldn’t have had to relaunch FF14 and the original game was junk.

Dusty Moon.4382

There is plenty of info from A.Net. As they said, they want players to learn about some of the things they added in the game, like how heart rewards are given – which has changed with the last patch and that is nice.

About Square Enix, if they would have listened to players, they wouldn’t have had to relaunch FF14 as the original game was junk.

Not everyone is going to be pleased with changes. Mostly, what we have is a vocal minority and a silent majority. If people like things, they usually don’t say anything.

timmyf.1490

Look, it’s okay to have criticisms about the game. I have my own. Trust me, people on my guild’s Teamspeak channel are often privy to some angry ranting about this game.

That said, a lot of the good feedback on these forums is totally obscured by dozens of angry hyperbole. Whatever you think of Megaserver, it is not destroying the game. It is not the worst thing ArenaNet has ever done. It is not so broken that the only option is to immediately remove it. They did not do it to save tons of money because the game is failing.

Chill. Out.

If this community doesn’t police its own worst offenders, it will remain a toxic pool of discontent. We’ve seen great examples of self-regulating our members within the CDI posts. Bringing that same attitude to the entire forum would be a great first step at helping developers be comfortable enough to post here regularly.

We need to build trust with them first. Trust is earned. We aren’t earning it.

Dusty Moon.4382

Look, it’s okay to have criticisms about the game. I have my own. Trust me, people on my guild’s Teamspeak channel are often privy to some angry ranting about this game.

That said, a lot of the good feedback on these forums is totally obscured by dozens of angry hyperbole. Whatever you think of Megaserver, it is not destroying the game. It is not the worst thing ArenaNet has ever done. It is not so broken that the only option is to immediately remove it. They did not do it to save tons of money because the game is failing.

Chill. Out.

If this community doesn’t police its own worst offenders, it will remain a toxic pool of discontent. We’ve seen great examples of self-regulating our members within the CDI posts. Bringing that same attitude to the entire forum would be a great first step at helping developers be comfortable enough to post here regularly.

Most gaming community forums, unfortunately, are just like this. All you have to do is go read forums like MMORPG,com, etc to see that the gamers that come to forums are very vocal about always being right (including myself here). The in game community is not toxic at all. Only the forum community is toxic.

Morrigan.2809

Chill. Out.

sure I agree.

But this thread is not about that, it is about the fact that the feature patch was pretty problematic and the resounding silence from Anet- despite the many feedback threads

Gunnar’s Hold

timmyf.1490

Morrigan, that’s my point, though. There’s silence right now because this place is a madhouse and telling us “hey, we’re working on it” probably won’t make anything better.

Oh, and the people working on it are busy. You know… working on it.

They’ve already done a few hotfixes for the language issues and said they’re working on longer-term solutions. I don’t see what more people want from them.

Im Mudbone.1437

Chill. Out.

That works two ways. In the past 2 years, can you say with a straight face and honest concience that they have(in regards to my underlined part in your statement)?

Posted by: Hayashi.3416

Hayashi.3416

In general I would say that most forum posters believe Arenanet has done a very good job with Guild Wars 2’s initial release, and a very lackluster job with the updates after that. There are exceptions who hate even the initial release, and exceptions who love everything they’ve done so far, of course, but the law of large numbers applies.

Still the way things are going we’re going to have another white knight versus discontented rebels plus random troll threadfight in here again, and I’ll get another message in my inbox saying a moderator has moved this into the Trashcan…

Dusty Moon.4382

Chill. Out.

That works two ways. In the past 2 years, can you say with a straight face and honest concience that they have(in regards to my underlined part in your statement)?

LOL – They have. They gave us a decent game to play. I myself have spent time in game enjoying myself with my guildmates and others. A.Net has more invested in this game than any of us. If this game fails their jobs go bye-bye. If you fail them, you can’t – disrespect yes, but not fail.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Chill. Out.

Ye gods, so much this. They even went so far as to post a How-to-Feedback primer (that nobody reads): https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/How-to-Give-Good-Feedback/first#post3383470

I’m not against complaints. I have many of them. But at least be civil and understand that the game isn’t just for one person reading on the screen. Not everything is a nerf; nor is everything is a conspiracy.

And not everything needs an immediate, urgent, emergency reply. Chill for a bit, let some dust settle, and keep your most salient solutions (not problems, complaining does nothing) at the top of your list.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

timmyf.1490

That’s a really good question and one which every individual needs to answer for himself. Personally, they’ve kept several promises they needed to – not making the gemstore pay-to-win, for example. Regularly updating the game with new features and content. That sort of thing.

There have obviously been disappointments as well. If I were concerned about eSports, I’d find trusting them hard. The PvP community hasn’t gotten the attention it deserves and it’s probably too late. Dungeons have been a major disappointment (but to be fair, they never promised a bunch of new dungeons.)

Personally, the introduction of Ascended gear hurt me the most and has made me hyper-sensitive to any further increase in gear or level. The trust I have in them would quickly vanish if additional levels or an addition gear tier were added.

But I can say with a straight face that, despite some missteps, I think they are actively trying to make this a better game for the vast majority of the playerbase (sometimes at the expense of minority groups like hardcore PvPers and the RP community.)

(edited by timmyf.1490)

Im Mudbone.1437

That’s a really good question and one which every individual needs to answer for himself. Personally, they’ve kept several promises they needed to – not making the gemstore pay-to-win, for example. Regularly updating the game with new features and content. That sort of thing.

There have obviously been disappointments as well. If I were concerned about eSports, I’d find trusting them hard. The PvP community hasn’t gotten the attention it deserves and it’s probably too late. Dungeons have been a major disappointment (but to be fair, they never promised a bunch of new dungeons.)

Personally, the introduction of Ascended gear hurt me the most and has made me hyper-sensitive to any further increase in gear or level. The trust I have in them would quickly vanish if additional levels or an addition gear tier were added.

But I can say with a straight face that, despite some missteps, I think they are actively trying to make this a better game for the vast majority of the playerbase (sometimes at the expense of minority groups like hardcore PvPers and the RP community.)

Thank you, this reply was a breath of fresh air to me and took the fanboi thought of you out of my head and has now earned my respect. KUDOS!

timmyf.1490

I think we’d all find each other a lot more reasonable if we lowered the hyperbole, took a few deep breaths, and actually tried to listen to each other.

And I do honestly think that, if we set the right tone, we’d start to see a lot more developers feel comfortable posting here.

Posted by: ceol.9175

ceol.9175

About Square Enix, if they would have listened to players, they wouldn’t have had to relaunch FF14 as the original game was junk.

Not everyone is going to be pleased with changes. Mostly, what we have is a vocal minority and a silent majority. If people like things, they usually don’t say anything.

I’m not talking about cute little additions they did that aren’t in the patch notes. I’m talking about a lack of presence on the forums.

Square Enix listened and revamped their whole community engagement, and they’re doing awesome now. I don’t fault them for how they acted in 1.0 because they’ve rectified that mistake. How they acted during 1.0 has nothing to do with how they’re acting now.

Morrigan.2809

Thank you, this reply was a breath of fresh air to me and took the fanboi thought of you out of my head and has now earned my respect. KUDOS!

+1

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Burnfall.9573

Burnfall.9573

Chill. Out.

We need to build trust with them first. Trust is earned. We aren’t earning it .

“Bringing that same attitude to the entire forum would be a great first step at helping developers be comfortable enough to post here regularly ".

If i’m hearing you right?

what are you talking about?

There are multi-tude of that in the forums and you guess what?, Arena.net still remain silent.

“If this community doesn’t police its own worst offenders, it will remain a toxic pool of discontent”

Let me get this straight, it is Arena.net Duty to communicate with their player base and resolve the problems that they may have.

As a Company to an employee, it is the Company Respnsibility to communicate to their employess. Toxic or not: Communication help the Company know the needs of their employees and Resolving any problems that they may have

Is it the employee responsibility to help the employer “feel comfortable” to being an employer?

As a Parent to a child, it is the Parent Responsibility to communicate to their child. Toxic or Not: Communication help the Parent know their child and Resolving their child problems that they may have

Is it the child responsibly to “help his/her parent feel comfortable” to being a Parent ?

To you, the reason why Arena.net (the Parent, the Company) do not communicate and resolve our concerns and problems is because we made them feel uncomfortable and that we are toxic?

In other word, we failed in becoming their slaves servants and their programmable robots…

WoW!

just

WoW!

Advocate of Justice, Liberty and Truth

(edited by Burnfall.9573)

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Chill. Out.

“Bringing that same attitude to the entire forum would be a great first step at helping developers be comfortable enough to post here regularly ".

There are multi-tude of that in the forums and you guess what?, Arena.net still remain silent.

“If this community doesn’t police its own worst offenders, it will remain a toxic pool of discontent”

Let me get this straight, it is Arena.net Duty to communicate with their player base and resolve the problems that they may have.

As a Company to an employee, it is the Company Respnsibility to communicate to their employess. Toxic or not: Communication help the Company know the needs of their employees and Resolving any problems that they may have

Is it the employee responsibility to help the employer “feel comfortable” to being an employer?

As a Parent to a child, it is the Parent Responsibility to communicate to their child. Toxic or Not: Communication help the Parent know their child and Resolving their child problems that they may have

Is it the child responsibly to “help his/her parent feel comfortable” to being a Parent ?

To you, the reason why Arena.net (the Parent, the Company) do not communicate and resolve our concerns and problems is because we made them feel uncomfortable and that we are toxic?

In other word, we failed in becoming their slaves servants and their programmable robots…

WoW!

just

WoW!

…You’re the reason we can’t have nice things. -_-

Developers are still people, paid or not. Would you want to be on the back end of all this virtual garbage people are spewing? No.

So learn how to be productive. That will open the dialog between gamers and developers, and give them much less digital poo they have to sort through to find good ideas they can incorporate into their game design.

Geez. :\

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Morrigan.2809

Chill. Out.

WoW!

just

WoW!

…You’re the reason we can’t have nice things. -_-

Developers are still people, paid or not. Would you want to be on the back end of all this virtual garbage people are spewing? No.

So learn how to be productive. That will open the dialog between gamers and developers, and give them much less digital poo they have to sort through to find good ideas they can incorporate into their game design.

Geez. :\

it is Burnfall- he is kind of known on the forums for speaking in prophetic/ not sure what the term is, terms.

hi Burnfall- /wave

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: pixiedancer.1526

pixiedancer.1526

Disable mega servers in major cities, boss zones, do something about guild missions. That’s mostly what people tend to be asking or saying in the threads if you look them up, albeit those are only a few of the solutions (tags as well for instance) which were used in EQ 2 a game that came out ten years ago.

Not everyone thinks they’re owed, but a lot of server communities and some of the major boss guilds have posted legitimate complaints along with solutions. Take into mind that the changes are effectively destroying their gameplay for various reasons, people are getting frustrated because simple solutions are being outright ignored. I’ve already posted once about this but there’s something like 87000 views in total in all the combined threads.

I think that number warrants someone going “Hang on a second.” instead of continually rolling out the mega server system.

This week and the week before has been the only time I’ve been active on the forums since 2012, I’m not one to usually complain. I could probably go on and quote SWG devs about communicating with players but what I’m getting at is there’s A LOT of reasonable feedback that looks like it’s being outright ignored.

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

The code isnt the problem though, it was a major design shift and they did it with no solutions at all for some very obvious problems. Before mega servers even hit, from the moment they were anounced, i was like hmmmm how are they going to solve problem X Y and Z.

Shouldnt they have had some solutions built before making the change? why was the change necessary to drop right now?

As far as feedback to the community, i get that they are busy, but they probably need to include the community in some of the design phase, because apparently no one saw these issues coming, yet within like 2 minutes of the mere announcement of megaserver multiple people had realized design flaws.

perhaps they need to just say screw it and set up a public test server, because this is becoming a constant thing, where they take something back to the design loop, and come out with obvious design issues revealed within like 2 minutes.

I mean i get the unforseen results, but really, language issues? guild issues? traits that require events 44 levels higher than they can be obtained? 3 bosses a day? Static scheduling? Server culture issues? These should have been things they knew about and had things in place that would alleviate or deal with the issues.

Also feels like they are a bit out of touch with the game as its actually played in live, when you hear things like you can play with your friends more, when for 90% of people 80% of the time they would be able to play with their friends 100% of the time before, and now 64% of the time is high.

(edited by phys.7689)

timmyf.1490

Serious question for you, Pixie. Do you honestly believe that the Anet developers have no clue that people are frustrated with some of the Megaserver functionality right now?

I find it far more likely that they 1) know 2) are trying to do something about it 3) aren’t saying anything because they’re trying to figure out a fix and implement it as quickly as possible but haven’t fully fleshed out what that looks like or how long it will take.

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

Serious question for you, Pixie. Do you honestly believe that the Anet developers have no clue that people are frustrated with some of the Megaserver functionality right now?

I find it far more likely that they 1) know 2) are trying to do something about it 3) aren’t saying anything because they’re trying to figure out a fix and implement it as quickly as possible but haven’t fully fleshed out what that looks like or how long it will take.

one might assume they are, but honestly based on past history this is wishful thinking. Many times they have had patches with big pushback/errors/issues and then silence and nothing is done about the majority of the beefs.

That said the language hotfix appears to mean they are trying to be more on top of problems. I just hope they dont think that is a good solution(shutting out over chat was a big mistake). I also dont know why they didnt create personal channels/groups if they wanted to implement the megaserver system.

I mean i get the advantages and possibilities, but they needed to also add better filters and new paradigms for selection/grouping/communication in order to go along with the system.