Why we hear nothing but Silence from ANet?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Dusty Moon.4382

Dusty Moon.4382

I don’t expect all the answers to all the questions, but there’s been a load of bugs introduced with the feature patch (daily achievement chests not being rewarded, triple trouble achieves broken, the wurms golden chest not being rewarded, guild missions not rewarding the commendation), some very concerning ones from before the feature patch(metabolic primer broken for rangers springs to mind, as I’m a victim of this) and I think all people actually want is a “we know, we’re working on it”

The absence of communication, however brief, on these issues breeds uncertainty and thus confidence in Anet and the games direction as a whole is being degraded.

A.Net said that ‘They are monitoring’ and have already put out 2 fixes to bugs that were introduced. What more do you want?

Posted by: Lheimroo.2947

Lheimroo.2947

The CDI initiative appears kaput, and the four or five feedback threads on feature patch features haven’t garnered a single substantive response.

I don’t think it’s adequate to say ’We’re reading what you post’ if they fail to actually respond to concerns raised.

Comes a point where I need to know what’s coming up or what Arenanet developers actually think about the feedback being offered in order to have ‘faith’ in where they’re setting their development in future.

I mean, take the feature patch – some of those features could’ve been improved significantly if we’d had the opportunity to offer feedback in advance; ie, before they were baked and almost ready to be rolled out. But that’s rather typical of arenanet’s community-communications style: they work on what they got and put it out, THEN get surprised by feedback.

Most other industries seek customer feedback in a multistage iterative process during product creation, and it only makes sense. Even in MMOland, look at Blizzard – discussing the upcoming expansion in detail a year or more out from release.

Even in the CDI threads, developer commentary basically amounted to ‘Yeah, we read that. It’s interesting’.

I hate to say it; we need a ‘Ghostcrawler’.

(edited by Lheimroo.2947)

Posted by: VoiceOfUnreason.5976

VoiceOfUnreason.5976

ArenaNet is really the only company that publicly advertises feature patches that would usually end up in a footnote of larger content patches other MMO companies release monthly. If they discussed it before hand, they wouldn’t be able to properly generate the hype they want in order to get log in counts up for that particular week/month. Gathering feedback in an iterative process won’t have the desired effect of boosted log-in counts, but a big announcement a week before the release of the feature will.

Responding to the issues we’re bringing up now is also counter intuitive to their desired effect. What they’re going to do is continue to work on Megaservers in silence. When they feel that it’s adequate, they’ll do another big announcement a week before they push the bug fix patch in order to get player counts up again. Of course, this’ll still have issues, since you can’t properly address player’s needs without addressing their feedback, but again: it’s about hype generation. If you’re wondering why other MMO companies don’t do that, and why they have things like public test realms (which go against the idea of surprising your playerbase with new features), it’s because those companies know better. They know what it takes to invest in their player base for the long term, rather than focusing on day to day/week to week log-in counts.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Imagine a restaurant that seats 50 being filled with 200 people. 25 like the food. 150 are complaining about the food. 25 are threatening to punch the chef.

Now the 150 keep complaining that the chef isn’t walking around the restaurant to listen to their complaints.

Edit: forgot to note… the chef is in the back trying to fix the food for the 150 who are complaining…

Another very interesting response. It implies that:

1) GW2 can only handle 25% (50/200) of its current population.
2) 87% (175/200) of the players are dissatisfied with the game.
3) GW2 has only one dev.

ANet built the game. They sold the game. If the game could not handle more than X number of customers they probably should not have sold many multiples of that many copies of the game.

If 87% of your playerbase are dissatisfied with your service then the problem might not be with the players.

If there are not enough employees to post some meaningful responses to customer concerns (except in the German forums apparently) without taking 100% of the developers away from game development…the game is in more serious trouble than anything on these forums can really even begin to hint at.

Posted by: timmyf.1490

timmyf.1490

Imagine a restaurant that seats 50 being filled with 200 people. 25 like the food. 150 are complaining about the food. 25 are threatening to punch the chef.

Now the 150 keep complaining that the chef isn’t walking around the restaurant to listen to their complaints.

Edit: forgot to note… the chef is in the back trying to fix the food for the 150 who are complaining…

Another very interesting response. It implies that:

1) GW2 can only handle 25% (50/200) of its current population.
2) 87% (175/200) of the players are dissatisfied with the game.
3) GW2 has only one dev.

You might be taking this metaphor a bit too far.

Or way, way too far.

(Also, I’m talking about the forums, not the game, in this metaphor.)

Karaoke – Guild Leader – [MEGA] Super Mega Happy Fun Time
www.getunicorned.com / northernshiverpeaks.org

Posted by: Zaoda.1653

Zaoda.1653

To be fair, a GOOD restaurant has ALL its waiters go around asking if said people liked the food (usually happens within a minute or two of the person being served their food).

GW2 doesn’t do that very often (with a couple exceptions of the CDI’s), let alone have the decency to comment on player suggestions or feedback.

Forever a supporter of more male skimpy armor

Posted by: Porterhouse.6304

Porterhouse.6304

The best way to manage an online community is to ignore it. In another week over half of you malcontents will have moved on and stopped posting. Problem solved.

And months (maybe years) after that, the forums will have eventually dwindled down to an average post of once every 2 weeks.

Then some player will return after a long hiatus and will ask the forums where the player base has gone. Somebody, like yourself, will tell them there are still tons of people all around. Why, on your server there are players all over the place. To meet them they just need to play during peek times, in the most populated zones, and/or join a guild to find another soul to talk to. The returning player will think you’re hallucinating.

This happens every time.

Just don’t to forget to ask if you can have their stuff when the malcontents move on.

Posted by: Allisa Wonderland.8192

Allisa Wonderland.8192

What does silence sound like?

Posted by: Wanderer.3248

Wanderer.3248

Forums are just a place for people to vent. Like letters to the editor, no one takes them seriously.

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

Like tears in rain.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Forums are just a place for people to vent. Like letters to the editor, no one takes them seriously.

And that’s why most of the new games on the MMO market flop. They didn’t treat their customers seriously.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: RedWolf.6513

RedWolf.6513

It is like this…

http://youtu.be/L-JQ1q-13Ek

Posted by: Lyssan.3768

Lyssan.3768

Well, here is an interesting situation.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Customer-Support-and-the-Feature-Pack/page/4#post3977529

21 posts from Anet, not counting the one starting the thread on 4 pages.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Game-Updates-Wardrobe-Transmutation-Outfits/first

17 pages and counting, and after scrolling through them all (don’t ask, because I don’t know either) saw exactly ONE official post from an Anet person.

This will probably change by the time you read it, but at the time of posting, these numbers were accurate.

Posted by: Chris Whiteside.6102

Chris Whiteside.6102

Studio Design Director

Next

The CDI initiative appears kaput, and the four or five feedback threads on feature patch features haven’t garnered a single substantive response.

I don’t think it’s adequate to say ’We’re reading what you post’ if they fail to actually respond to concerns raised.

Comes a point where I need to know what’s coming up or what Arenanet developers actually think about the feedback being offered in order to have ‘faith’ in where they’re setting their development in future.

I mean, take the feature patch – some of those features could’ve been improved significantly if we’d had the opportunity to offer feedback in advance; ie, before they were baked and almost ready to be rolled out. But that’s rather typical of arenanet’s community-communications style: they work on what they got and put it out, THEN get surprised by feedback.

Most other industries seek customer feedback in a multistage iterative process during product creation, and it only makes sense. Even in MMOland, look at Blizzard – discussing the upcoming expansion in detail a year or more out from release.

Even in the CDI threads, developer commentary basically amounted to ‘Yeah, we read that. It’s interesting’.

Hi,

The CDI is not Kaput at all. I have just been extremely busy like the rest of the team and as I have said before there is absolutely no point in doing a CDI if we cannot contribute properly to it.

A new CDI will be coming shortly! Thanks for your patience.

Chris

Posted by: Hystery.8415

Hystery.8415

Oh.

My.

Goodness.

Someone answered.

Champagne, everyone!

Piken Square RPer ~ Growl Bladeskin (Charr, Zerk Warrior 80) |
Aelius Brightmane (Charr, Zerk Grenade Engineer, 80) |
Tilaw Stainsoul (Charr, Zerk Staff Elementalist, 80) | Evi Shadowstep (Charr, Zerk Ranger 80) |

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Oh.

My.

Goodness.

Someone answered.

Champagne, everyone!

Attachments:

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Louveepine.7630

Louveepine.7630

phew, I’m very concerned about not seeing any sign of life! Thank Mr Whiteside!

Attachments:

# Asura because I’m worth it!

(edited by Louveepine.7630)

Astralporing.1957

Oh.

My.

Goodness.

Someone answered.

Champagne, everyone!

Hold on on this champagne. Someone posted. I don’t see any answers there though.

Come to think, the very fact such post is enough cause for champagne tells us how bad the communication with Anet is lately.

Actions, not words.

Posted by: Shinzan.2908

Shinzan.2908

They are busy because of the china launch, as they just started headstart there today.

Posted by: Romo.3709

Romo.3709

Oh.

My.

Goodness.

Someone answered.

Champagne, everyone!

Hold on on this champagne. Someone posted. I don’t see any answers there though.

Come to think, the very fact such post is enough cause for champagne tells us how bad the communication with Anet is lately.

We got an answer completely unrelated to the main topic of the feedback.

I can’t say I’m surprised.

We give them feedback, suggestions, ideas, solutions. All we get back is “What? We’re busy!”…

I give up…

Hole the champagne, bring on the whiskey….

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Okay, so they should simply not have said anything at all then?

1: ArenaNet says nothing and people demand that they say something at least so that we know that they have not left the game.

2: ArenaNet says something and explains why they are not talking much at the moment.

3: People complain about them saying the wrong thing and we are back at #1 again.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Romo.3709

Okay, so they should simply not have said anything at all then?

1: ArenaNet says nothing and people demand that they say something at least so that we know that they have not left the game.

2: ArenaNet says something and explains why they are not talking much at the moment.

3: People complain about them saying the wrong thing and we are back at #1 again.

He’s not even talking about the Feature patch which the whole conversation is about. He’s saying that he’s busy so they don’t want to get into another CDI. He hasn’t even mentioned the Feature Patch once. Making this completely unrelated answer to the topic, but an answer defending a CDI that was bashed in one of the posts. That’s all it was.

Saying something is saying something of value. If a developer came on here and wrote “Orange”, would that be satisfying? They did write something, but how is that related in any way? It’s not, which in a way is the same as staying silent, or probably even worse since it might look like they’re mocking us.

lordkrall.7241

You did however skip over a rather important part of his post. Specifically the one in bold here:

Hi,
The CDI is not Kaput at all. I have just been extremely busy like the rest of the team and as I have said before there is absolutely no point in doing a CDI if we cannot contribute properly to it.
Chris

Which very much tells us why they are currently not active on the forums.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Romo.3709

True. But since he got that 1 minute to write this down he could’ve said that they’re working on some fixes for current patch, or something similar. Which would’ve calmed down tons of players from freaking out. The fact that he didn’t mention anything about the patch pushes me towards conclusion that they’re busy not with the patch that’s live and broken in many ways, but with either Chinese release or living story that’s should be coming up soon. It wouldn’t affect them negatively in any way to spill some info.

Astralporing.1957

Yes. Apparently, this is not anywhere on their list of priorities. Which again bring us to the original point – their communication policy is… well, let’s call it not very good, to avoid using harsher words.

Actions, not words.

Posted by: rhaize.8762

rhaize.8762

You did however skip over a rather important part of his post. Specifically the one in bold here:

Hi,
Chris

Then why don’t they take a page from Blizzard and many other game developers books and hire a team whose sole responsibility it is to manage and maintain the community and voice the current actions of the rest of the Anet team, even if it is to state they are incredibly busy.

I’m pretty sure I’ve seen someone with a title along those lines but they seem to be no-where at the moment.

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

Actually, if you look at the Dev Tracker the community folks have been around like always.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Posted by: Stelleriath.3829

Stelleriath.3829

Reading the title of this thread with the Anet logo next to it really made my day

Dusty Moon.4382

Actually, if you look at the Dev Tracker the community folks have been around like always.

People want acknowledgement directly these days. It is the ‘all about me’ attitude.

Posted by: msalakka.4653

msalakka.4653

If they did say ‘we are aware of the issues and are looking into it’, do you honestly believe that people would stop posting / whining about the same thing on a daily basis?

No, but they wouldn’t move on to other games which are still under active development.

Gutter Rat [cry] | Gandara | Roaming nuisance
~ There is no balance team. ~

Nike.2631

Hey, I like direct acknowledge as much as the next guy, but I’m also aware they are in the middle of a huge, complex push and are a little preoccupied.

The silver lining is while some groups most be heavily engaged in the China-launch a lot of other teams are almost certainly going about their work. They may actually be building up a little reserve of finished material to be doled out when season 2 spins up.

Silent for a month after the feature patch doesn’t worry me. Keeping a stable body of code makes sense to me. Silent for a month after the China Launch is past tense? Then I’ll get anxious.

Romo.3709

If they did say ‘we are aware of the issues and are looking into it’, do you honestly believe that people would stop posting / whining about the same thing on a daily basis?

No, but they wouldn’t move on to other games which are still under active development.

Give this person a beer! +1

Nike.2631

It’s been two weeks since a major release. By what possible standard is GW2 not under “active development”?

This whole board needs to switch to decaff or something.

Posted by: Serophous.9085

Serophous.9085

Ghostcrawler is no longer at Blizzard. He is Lead at Riot now.

Posted by: Essence Snow.3194

Essence Snow.3194

If you take a minute to look at the Dev Tracker and see what it is they are actively responding to, it is very specific (mainly account issues).

My concern here lies in that if they are busy now with the roll out in China and the majority of the forums go silent, then once the game there is in full swing will we see a drastic decrease (from prior the roll out) here due to them splitting their time?

Serenity now~Insanity later

Romo.3709

The problem is that the silence is continuous with every release that has issues. Every time they put up the update that hurts big part of gw2 community, they go silent for weeks hoping it would work itself out. It’s not the first time and sadly it won’t be the last time…

They put a plan together, executed it.

People like it?
Great! Forum-Active.

People don’t like it?
Well, that’s too bad. Forum-Silence.

Weeks later:
Hey new stuff is out! While the stuff people are not happy with are (hopefully) forgotten or dealt with on their own.

The problem there is no active communication from their part. And if you look at dev tracker, it’s always PvP & Tickets. At least PvP team cares enough for their playerbase to talk with them about future developments before they’re implemented…

Posted by: hedix.1986

hedix.1986

Well, at least they honestly admitted they couldn’t care less about us while China is willing to throw money at them.

[QQ] – ex RoS, current Piken Square
[DV] – megaboss community

Posted by: Lheimroo.2947

Lheimroo.2947

Hi,

Chris

Thanks for a reply!

Totally understand the ‘busy’ aspect. This is why I think you guys need a person who’s more dedicated to communication, or at least to give one of your CC people more license to let fly with the back-and-forth conversations. Particularly in advance; I think it’d help.

Anet posters do stay on top of customer support and all that jazz. But when it comes to discussing the ‘whys’ of upcoming changes with people, I think an earlier reveal on the feature pack – and other features coming – could’ve resulted in a few satisfying tweaks before release. And really, that was all that would’ve been needed. Nobody’s seriously blowing up about the whole shebang; they’re just miffed about specific aspects of it.

Ghostcrawler is no longer at Blizzard. He is Lead at Riot now.

I was aware. He totally fulfilled a unique role at Blizzard, though. Regardless of your opinion of the man he probably generated gigabytes of focused, useful customer feedback.

(edited by Lheimroo.2947)

Dusty Moon.4382

Well, at least they honestly admitted they couldn’t care less about us while China is willing to throw money at them.

No – they wouldn’t have done the April 15th patch if they didn’t care (care is such a bad term also). They need to launch smoothly in China as NCSoft is watching this like a hawk. A good launch means A.Net survives and can do more with GW2 and future games. A bad launch means – well you get the idea.

rhaize.8762

People want acknowledgement directly these days. It is the ‘all about me’ attitude.

It’s nothing to do with ‘all about me’. It’s about acknowledgement in general to the community.

People are asking question’s about something that should be the responsibility of the community managers to alleviate the pressure and give an answer, even if it “The dev team are incredibly busy with xxxxx” not allow it to get to 200+ replies before a Director steps in and gives an answer.

It’s been a solid business process for decades to give an update/answer even if it doesn’t instantly resolve the issue.

I don’t expect every single thread to have an official reply however it’s not difficult to spot trends in the forum threads to what the majority of people are getting irate about – if these are addressed it will at least calm the masses.

Dusty Moon.4382

It’s nothing to do with ‘all about me’. It’s about acknowledgement in general to the community.

People are asking question’s about something that should be the responsibility of the community managers to alleviate the pressure and give an answer, even if it “The dev team are incredibly busy with xxxxx” not allow it to get to 200+ replies before a Director steps in and gives an answer.

It’s been a solid business process for decades to give an update/answer even if it doesn’t instantly resolve the issue.

I don’t expect every single thread to have an official reply however it’s not difficult to spot trends in the forum threads to what the majority of people are getting irate about – if these are addressed it will at least calm the masses.

If you read the development tracker – it is there. It is just NOT a direct reply. People want you to acknowledge them directly.

Posted by: munkiman.3068

munkiman.3068

https://twitter.com/TemplarCW

@hurradurra Sorry just read this,been a little busy. We are reading and discussing all the feedback and will evolve the system

There is you’re feedback

Looks like some of them are in China…

[TAO] Founder/Owner and Administrator for the NSP Server Website

(edited by munkiman.3068)

Porterhouse.6304

Sure there will be things that they could have handled differently had they had infinite resources and the power of hindsight, but that’s not reasonable to expect from any gaming company that is trying to serve a massive playerbase.

I’ve seen this theory stated several times now, and every time I wonder…

A) How do you know this is their situation?

B) How did they even design a game like Guild Wars 2 in the first place? With such limited resources and lack of hindsight it’s a miracle we didn’t end up with Super Turbo Turkey Puncher 3

Porterhouse.6304

You really think 75% of the player base is complaining, with another 12.5% ready to storm their headquarters!? O_O

Holy ****! That’s a problem in itself right there! Any idea why you think that only 12.5% of the player base likes the current state of the game?

Romo.3709

No – they wouldn’t have done the April 15th patch if they didn’t care (care is such a bad term also). They need to launch smoothly in China as NCSoft is watching this like a hawk. A good launch means A.Net survives and can do more with GW2 and future games. A bad launch means – well you get the idea.

China is getting smooth release, while we’re dealing with issues and problems. Sighs…

rhaize.8762

You really think 75% of the player base is complaining, with another 12.5% ready to storm their headquarters!? O_O

Holy ****! That’s a problem in itself right there!

I lol’d

lordkrall.7241

China is getting smooth release, while we’re dealing with issues and problems. Sighs…

None of which are game-breaking and thus ArenaNet is rightly focusing on something that might very well decide the future of the company.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Romo.3709

None of which are game-breaking and thus ArenaNet is rightly focusing on something that might very well decide the future of the company.

Game-breaking, No. Immersion-breaking, Yes.
It is true that they’re in the middle of something that might decide the future of their company. Especially since they’re treating China as their only customers right now.

lordkrall.7241

Game-breaking, No. Immersion-breaking, Yes.
It is true that they’re in the middle of something that might decide the future of their company. Especially since they’re treating China as their only customers right now.

The game have been full of immersion-breaking stuff since release. It is not really something that would suddenly start dooming the game now two years later.

Yes, if the game flops in China it is indeed quite possible that it will have lasting effects on GW2 and especially ArenaNet as a whole, and therefore anyone that actually cares about GW2 should be happy that they do everything they can in order to make sure it is as much of a success as possible.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

Anet could give a technical explanation as to why issues are taking so long to resolve, or what plans they have for future content (because we know how well them promises [read: intentions that are subject to change] are recieved if they take too long) and people will still complain that it’s taking too long.

That’s why a “we are looking into it” will do jack. The only thing that will satisfy people is when something is fixed.

As for ‘they wouldn’t move on to other games which are still under active development’, says who? If someone wants to leave the game for greener pastures, they’ll do so.

Someone typing “we’re looking into it” is not going to stop someone leaving contrary to what you might think.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.