Why we shouldn't be forced to explore...

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Acewings.6872

Acewings.6872

I mean it’s bad enough that you won’t let us quest grind…but you FORCE us to explore and you make everything a maze. I mean we can’t just go from point A to point B, we have to walk all the way around like 10 mountains, swim across a freaking river, go UP a mountain, then we have to do a jumping puzzle or some crap, and then we have to push F and watch a stupid AC cutscene (for vistas at least). There’s a skillpoint in NE Snowden Drifts that is bugged and won’t appear, so yes…I’m angry since all I can do is explore. You couldn’t even get the exploring aspect right since the skillpoint in Snowden is bugged for people. I mean comeon Anet, if you’re going to force us to explore, at least make sure that the exploring isn’t a giant inconvenience and so repetitive. Also, could you make monsters give more than like 20 exp atm since you won’t add repeatable quests?

(edited by Acewings.6872)

Acewings.6872

So uh….don’t then?

I HAVE to because there is no other way to level since they won’t add repeatable quests, buff monster exp, and fix all the exploration bugs.

Posted by: Sin.8174

Sin.8174

Really?... /facepalm

Most mountains can be scaled with the right know how. Many people, like myself, enjoy finding all of those little shortcuts. I’ve probably been on top of areas many other haven’t gotten to yet.

As for watching cutscenes.. no. No you do not have to watch anything. Whether it’s storymode, Scouts or Vistas, you can stop them. Story-mode you can skip to the end with one click. Scouts, just hit M again. Vistas, move your mouse to the lower right and click the exit button.

When it comes to bugged things.. submit a report. They’ll get fixed. They just did a few broken DE fixes not long ago.

The whole part of a gaming world is the exploration. It’s fun. if you don’t like exploring, you could always just go level up in pvp lol

Orphyn X – 8X Thief – Tarnished Coast
Lady Raevyn – 11 Necromancer – TC
Fanboy- The New Godwin’s Law.

Posted by: NetherDiver.6079

NetherDiver.6079

But isn’t exploring one of the things that makes MMO’s fun? You’d like to grind instead?

Posted by: Lance Coolee.9480

Lance Coolee.9480

you also don’t have to watch the full cutscene.

bottom right of the window a button will allow to cancel it. i believe hitting “esc” also works.

“GW2 takes everything you love about GW1” – M. O’Brien
“We just don’t want players to grind in GW2” – C. Johanson
“The most important thing in any game should be the player” – R. Soesbee

Posted by: Amlin.6041

Amlin.6041

Sorry but I never even bothered ONCE with the Vistas(I hate platforming), only took waypoints that I needed, and the Points of Interests that I got were all on accident as I was just passing through.

What you need to do is to actually play the game not like most MMOs which I find that a lot of people complaining about GW2 is what they’re doing. They’re grinding in this game which is like in any other game boring. Grinding anything in an MMO is boring period.

Here’s what you do: You do a zone that’s your level range, just do the hearts and if you run into any events along the way awesome and if not no biggie. Just make sure you do a many of the hearts that you find fun. Then once you finish with that go to another map that is in the in the same or close to the same level range.

That way you’ll see new sights and keep things fresh, you were never supposed to stick to an area and grind out the same events or do the Exploration stuff, in fact Exploration is actually just a bonus thing.

Acewings.6872

But isn’t exploring one of the things that makes MMO’s fun? You’d like to grind instead?

Heck yes I’m only playing this game to rush to 80, I really want an account of all max alts. What happened? I remember the phrase “Play it your way” in an interview or something. Playing it my way would be playing the traditional MMO, which is running and grabbing multiple quests and then doing those quests for exp. I don’t want to explore, and I couldn’t possibly care less about exploring tbh…

Posted by: Drudenfusz.2971

Drudenfusz.2971

OP, going from point A to point B isn’t exploring. You have no clue what exploring is, and be glad that you can go in most cases in GW2 without too many detours to where you want to go (play for example SWTOR to see how it feels like to have for everything a huge detour).

Gwenya Drudenfusz [Boon], Norn Mesmer on Desolation

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

For the record, vistas are not cutscenes.
They are actual live ingame panoramic views.
Look what these creative peeps did with a vista

Posted by: Shaileya.7063

Shaileya.7063

Playing it my way would be playing the traditional MMO, which is running and grabbing multiple quests and then doing those quests for exp. I don’t want to explore, and I couldn’t possibly care less about exploring tbh…

Sorry, but.. why on earth would you buy this game if you wanted it to just be a WoW clone? There are plenty of those out there for you to play. This game was designed to center around exploring. When they said ‘play your way’, they didn’t say ’We’ll also include a Clonesrus Version with linear breadcrumbs forcefed to you to tell you exactly what to do next for the entire game.

NetherDiver.6079

Heck yes I’m only playing this game to rush to 80, I really want an account of all max alts. What happened? I remember the phrase “Play it your way” in an interview or something. Playing it my way would be playing the traditional MMO, which is running and grabbing multiple quests and then doing those quests for exp. I don’t want to explore, and I couldn’t possibly care less about exploring tbh…

I’m asking questions not because I defend any particular argument, but merely because I’m curious about why people play a certain way. If you’re playing this game to max out characters, something you can do in any other MMO, why are you playing THIS game in particular? This clearly wasn’t designed for you to grind character growth. I’m sincerely curious, again, I don’t defend any side of the camp, I just find this stuff interesting.

Posted by: Hunterdan.4921

Hunterdan.4921

Like…why do they make us play this game?! OMG

Posted by: Kailthir.6384

Kailthir.6384

Then this game is not at all for you. They have said this time and time again. We all knew what to expect. NO ridiculous grinding for gear so you can kill some boss to get the next shiny to get to the next boss… Everyone knew this was not going to be in the game.

You don’t have to rush to level 80 you can be level 80 from level 1 in WvW and SPvP. They anounced a few times. They also announced that there would be NO quest hubs and NO quest givers. Time and again they said it.

I really can’t stand people like you that demand the devs change the core and soul of a game just to fit your every whim. If you don’t like it… move out and draw fire. It’s that simple.

Look I have bought games before that I wasn’t happy with. It sux. You feel like you wasted your money. You keep trying to find the good stuff that you might like but figure out that the stuff you dislike far out weighs the stuff you like. It happens.

That is when you hang up playing the game and you move on to one that you do like.

(edited by Kailthir.6384)

Posted by: Sin.8174

Sin.8174

For the record, vistas are not cutscenes.
They are actual live ingame panoramic views.
Look what these creative peeps did with a vista

I couldn’t stop laughing at this.. at first i was like.. this is pretty cool.. then comes ‘The Circle of Liii’ as they all splat on the rocks. I lost it. >_<

Thank you

Orphyn X – 8X Thief – Tarnished Coast
Lady Raevyn – 11 Necromancer – TC
Fanboy- The New Godwin’s Law.

Acewings.6872

I’m asking questions not because I defend any particular argument, but merely because I’m curious about why people play a certain way. If you’re playing this game to max out characters, something you can do in any other MMO, why are you playing THIS game in particular? This clearly wasn’t designed for you to grind character growth. I’m sincerely curious, again, I don’t defend any side of the camp, I just find this stuff interesting.

For me personally it’s about the storyline…I just want to experience the story. I can’t though because they dropped the ball for players like me who hate exploring because it’s a snoozefest and a chore, yet need to so we can level. I’m not going to bash people either who like to explore, I just thought that this game was going to be like GW1 in that respect that players like me who only wanted the story could experience it. I mean, I beat Prophecies I believe 12 or 13 times, and it certainly wasn’t for the gameplay or the endgame greens, it was because I loved the Prophecies story so much.

Edit: Also thanks for being respectful about it.

Posted by: Nick.3926

Nick.3926

If you want quests, this is not the game for you as the only REAL quests are the personal story.
If you just want level 80 though and are tired of exploring, there are many other ways to level.

Posted by: Kailthir.6384

Kailthir.6384

[/quote]
For me personally it’s about the storyline…I just want to experience the story. I can’t though because they dropped the ball for players like me who hate exploring because it’s a snoozefest and a chore, yet need to so we can level. I’m not going to bash people either who like to explore, I just thought that this game was going to be like GW1 in that respect that players like me who only wanted the story could experience it. I mean, I beat Prophecies I believe 12 or 13 times, and it certainly wasn’t for the gameplay or the endgame greens, it was because I loved the Prophecies story so much.

Edit: Also thanks for being respectful about it.[/quote]

And this is what I do not understand. ANET specifically told us how the game would be. They specifically said what would be in the game and what wouldn’t be in GW2, but you bought it anyways. I don’t get it. Help me to understand.

NetherDiver.6079

Edit: Also thanks for being respectful about it.

Huh, I can see why you want to get to the next level as fast as you can, just so you can experience the story quests. I never really thought about it like that. I personally, like to do everything in the PvE, crafting, exploring, story, events. And I am overlevelled for my story quest AND for the zones I’m in, simply because I like 100%-ing the areas I explore. It seems that’s how Anet designed the game, but it sucks that, if you JUST wanted the story/story related gameplay, you have to do stuff you don’t want to. Have you tried JUST doing events/hearts? Those have story elements too.

EDIT: And sure, no problem. I’m a game designer, and as much as I love this game and feel sucky when people bash it, I like finding out the reasons why people play games. It’s amazing how one person plays this game for VASTLY different reasons than someone else. I’m interested in how designers can accommodate different styles of gameplay without alienating a portion of the player base.

(edited by NetherDiver.6079)

Posted by: Duckzor.4327

Duckzor.4327

Sorry, but this is not the game for you.

Thief WvW Solo Roam Video

http://youtu.be/MHEU8oCFxrE

Posted by: Clem.2963

Clem.2963

There is some really nice scenery and landscapes in this game, I don’t mind having to look at all them instead of grinding the same thing.

Posted by: Jestunhi.7429

Jestunhi.7429

Here’s what you do: You do a zone that’s your level range, just do the hearts and if you run into any events along the way awesome and if not no biggie. Just make sure you do a many of the hearts that you find fun. Then once you finish with that go to another map that is in the in the same or close to the same level range.

This.

I see so much whining about a lack of content at a specific level, but the people doing the whining are only looking at a single map in that level bracket.

I’m going through all the lower level maps for exploration, but doing all the heats and dynamic quests that I see, as well as gathering everything I see, and even though it’s a low level area I’ve got quite a few levels and plenty of profit after selling gear / materials.

SoE have finally been knocked off the top spot
in the list of developers I have the least faith & trust in.
Congratulations ArenaNet!

Posted by: Zoridium JackL.7463

Zoridium JackL.7463

That way you’ll see new sights and keep things fresh, you were never supposed to stick to an area and grind out the same events or do the Exploration stuff, in fact Exploration is actually just a bonus thing.

here’s the thing, I don’t want to be questing with my sylvari in the forest, fighting the nightmare court, only to find that once I’ve done all the karma quests in the area and run every event that has popped up (even if I didn’t want to) that I am still several levels under the next area and can’t keep questing in my natural progression path, my only options are to go get all the vistas and points of interest (things that I don’t want to be forced to do because not only does it trivialize the nicely crafted areas but feels tedious) OR go fight the inquisition or the dragon worshipers or any other “not my problem” in areas that make no sense for my character to have traveled to, that aren’t part of my natural progression path, and remove me from any sort of immersion and turn what should be a nice quest arc into a set of go here do this objectives to get to the next level.

I think that the questing in this game is most aweful I have ever seen in any MMO, not because it’s “different” and not because it’s “hard” but because it’s so badly designed that I am punished for doing it by being stripped or any immersion and being made to feel like I’m grinding for exp, all I want to do is quest, the major distinction between questing and grinding is presentation, something that GW2 lacks to a large degree.

Posted by: Fiennes.9568

Fiennes.9568

Am I the only one who enjoyed being under-level after I had completed a zone, and got a real challenge out of the next one, and phat XP?

Posted by: nachtnebel.9168

nachtnebel.9168

I get that it might be a little frustrating if you just want to play your personal story and, at the same time, don’t like to explore and craft to level. But Arena Net was very clear about how leveling would work in GW2, it’s not a surprise that it is mostly done by exploring and not by grinding monsters or repeatable quests.

So, I seems to me that you just bought the wrong game.

Salix Babylonica (Necro), Tharnath (Guardian), N Faculty (Mesmer),
Occam Pi (Ele), Acaena Elongata (Warrior), Finja Salversdotir (Ranger),
Bytestream (Engineer), Vim Whitespace (Thief)

Posted by: Xericor.9103

Xericor.9103

I thought this was a joke!

this is a joke right..?

www.auroraglade.eu – Community Site for Aurora Glade!

Posted by: UntamedLoli.2978

UntamedLoli.2978

I’m already 80, I’ve done all the exploring. The problem is that in order to level any alts at a half-decent pace. You need to do them all over again for the most part. Events either end up too scattered (need to be close to even see them) or they end before you can even get over to them at all. Grinding doesn’t really work. WvW has incredibly poor XP rewards pre-80.

It wasn’t bad earlier on but as you get higher it gets worse. I’m starting to want to avoid games putting the economy ahead of it having things to do majority of the time.

Posted by: Pirlipat.2479

Pirlipat.2479

I mean it’s bad enough that you won’t let us quest grind…but you FORCE us to explore and you make everything a maze. I mean we can’t just go from point A to point B, we have to walk all the way around like 10 mountains, swim across a freaking river, go UP a mountain, then we have to do a jumping puzzle or some crap, and then we have to push F and watch a stupid AC cutscene (for vistas at least).

Maybe I get u wrong but for me this sounds like OMG there isn’t one NPC standing beside the next one, I acutally have to walk a bit and OMG there is a mountain I have to go around. This is utterly confusing. Have u seen ANY MMO where u got a plain surface, no things to go around no way u have to spot?

Jestunhi.7429

here’s the thing, I don’t want to be questing with my sylvari in the forest, fighting the nightmare court, only to find that once I’ve done all the karma quests in the area and run every event that has popped up (even if I didn’t want to) that I am still several levels under the next area and can’t keep questing in my natural progression path, my only options are to go get all the vistas and points of interest (things that I don’t want to be forced to do because not only does it trivialize the nicely crafted areas but feels tedious) OR go fight the inquisition or the dragon worshipers or any other “not my problem” in areas that make no sense for my character to have traveled to, that aren’t part of my natural progression path, and remove me from any sort of immersion and turn what should be a nice quest arc into a set of go here do this objectives to get to the next level.

I think that the questing in this game is most aweful I have ever seen in any MMO, not because it’s “different” and not because it’s “hard” but because it’s so badly designed that I am punished for doing it by being stripped or any immersion and being made to feel like I’m grinding for exp, all I want to do is quest, the major distinction between questing and grinding is presentation, something that GW2 lacks to a large degree.

What I’m reading here is “I want to limit my gameplay to a small percentage of the content & map, but I still expect to be given loads of xp as if I’d completed it all”.

You want to skip the majority of the content designed for each level? Fine, you’re free to do so. But it’s hardly surprising that you find yourself too low level to succeed in the higher level areas.

Posted by: Rizzy.8293

Rizzy.8293

Really?… /facepalm

Most mountains can be scaled with the right know how. Many people, like myself, enjoy finding all of those little shortcuts. I’ve probably been on top of areas many other haven’t gotten to yet.

As for watching cutscenes.. no. No you do not have to watch anything. Whether it’s storymode, Scouts or Vistas, you can stop them. Story-mode you can skip to the end with one click. Scouts, just hit M again. Vistas, move your mouse to the lower right and click the exit button.

When it comes to bugged things.. submit a report. They’ll get fixed. They just did a few broken DE fixes not long ago.

The whole part of a gaming world is the exploration. It’s fun. if you don’t like exploring, you could always just go level up in pvp lol

Just because you enjoy something doesn’t mean everyone else enjoys doing it.
I love century egg but I dont expect everyone to love it.

Acewings.6872

Thank you, that’s what I’m trying to get at. The questing is one massive fail in this game. GW2 isn’t a bad game by any means, it’s just repetitive many times and the questing system is REALLY poorly designed.

Posted by: Pirlipat.2479

Pirlipat.2479

Thank you, that’s what I’m trying to get at. The questing is one massive fail in this game. GW2 isn’t a bad game by any means, it’s just repetitive many times and the questing system is REALLY poorly designed.

In my opinion it is not. It doesn’t fullfill your all of your personal wishes, which in a way I can understand. But thats something completely different imo to be poorly designed overall. Please stop to sell personal opinions as facts.

Posted by: Rpgtabbycat.5869

Rpgtabbycat.5869

It’s to your benefit to explore the map because you get some very nice rewards for doing so (items, crafting materials, gold and a lot of xp). It sounds like you are missing out on a lot of Dynamic Events. The questing system isn’t just the hearts, it’s the Dynamic Events too.

Posted by: Josher.9612

Josher.9612

The map completion mini game is actually one of the fresh ideas that made it feel different from other MMOs. Also, you don’t have to explore. What exp you gain can be made from plenty of other methods, gathering, crafting, normal killing. You can kill a lot of mobs in the time it takes to get to a vista.

This is a dumb complaint, sorry.

Acewings.6872

Why cant it be more like wow and all of its 100 clones
Why do we have 1 game that doesnt copy wow
Why did i buy this game
Why am i playing this game
Why am i not playing wow or any of its clones
^the OP^

Why not take some of the things from WoW and improve the game? WoW has like 8 million players…clearly they’re doing some things right…

Rizzy.8293

Why cant it be more like wow and all of its 100 clones
Why do we have 1 game that doesnt copy wow
Why did i buy this game
Why am i playing this game
Why am i not playing wow or any of its clones
^the OP^

Why not take some of the things from WoW and improve the game? WoW has like 8 million players…clearly they’re doing some things right…

Because… well this is Guildwars2 and not WOW2, havent you heard?
Thats why in the suggestion forum theres a person suggesting NO DUNGEON FINDER.

But all joking aside, just because another MMORPG has a feature doesn’t mean you’re trying to be its clone by having it, its because its a good feature and it’s needed.

Rizzy.8293

If you want quests, this is not the game for you as the only REAL quests are the personal story.
If you just want level 80 though and are tired of exploring, there are many other ways to level.

Really?
What are Heart Quests?
Obligations?

I don’t have to do them… but if I do them I get money reward anyways…

Acewings.6872

I loved the fact that you noobs brought up WoW and compared GW2 to it. How about we compare GW1 to GW2 huh? Oh right you can’t because GW2 isn’t even a sequel in any way shape or form. I win you lose, take a forum hike.

Posted by: Lt Latency.7415

Lt Latency.7415

Huh, Why don’t you just find a good Event Chain and keep following it around if you want to grind.

Many many Chains, The NPC will go in event to event to event and you can just keep following them and grinding the events.

Just because the event ends doesn’t mean it’s over. If there are NPC going somewhere. 8 or of 10 times they are going to trigger the next event..

Lots of them spawn pretty fast so you might have to kill mobs for 5 mins before they pop again.

Posted by: Garenthal.1480

Garenthal.1480

This game isn’t linear. If you don’t want to explore, don’t – just don’t complain when a core game mechanic isn’t to your tastes. This is why people should extensively research a game before they buy it instead of buying into hype and then complaining when they realise it isn’t to their tastes.

I love the fact that exploration is rewarded in this game. Definitely one of the major appealing points for me.

Posted by: Rhanoa.3960

Rhanoa.3960

This is a great example of players needing their hands held more!

Folks who can’t really think for themselves. Always needing help or guides, leaves very little room for improvising or imagination to say the least.

MMORPG’s are not easy, you’re just too PRO!!!

Jestunhi.7429

And the closer to a WoW clone it gets the less reason they have to quit WoW and play GW2.

Why would a player with max level, geared characters quit WoW to play a clone of the same game?

If they are bored of WoW then why would they be interested in a clone? And if they are not why would they stop playing WoW for something which offered nothing new or different?

Cloning WoW isn’t the way to succeed. WoW wasn’t a clone, it was an overly simplified MMO aimed at a populaiton outside of the existing core-MMO playerbase at the time. MMO’s used to be played by gamers and geeks, but WoW broke it wide open and got other people in there.

They didn’t steal customers from existing MMOs by duplicating them, they aimed at a group of people who weren’t already loyal to another monthly sub.

Posted by: Rhanoa.3960

Rhanoa.3960

I loved the fact that you noobs brought up WoW and compared GW2 to it. How about we compare GW1 to GW2 huh? Oh right you can’t because GW2 isn’t even a sequel in any way shape or form. I win you lose, take a forum hike.

GW1 isn’t an MMO, it’s more of a Lobby game!

MMORPG’s are not easy, you’re just too PRO!!!

Jestunhi.7429

Rhanoa is true, the lack of persistence in GW1 makes it hard to label it as an MMO.

I seem to recall it was marketed as an ORPG instead due to the amount of instancing?

Acewings.6872

This is a great example of players needing their hands held more!

Folks who can’t really think for themselves. Always needing help or guides, leaves very little room for improvising or imagination to say the least.

Well maybe if they didn’t make the game so frustratingly lame…

I wandered around in LA for 54 minutes trying to find the PoI that was in the sewers. They made this game one giant maze, and there needs to be some more simplicity for the casual players.

Oh yeah, in regards to your handholding comment…funny how I didn’t need my hand held in Guild Wars 1, way to admit that this isn’t a worthy sequel.

Posted by: Shroom Mage.9410

Shroom Mage.9410

You really need to add this to the OP so that people coming into the thread will better understand where you’re coming from. At first it looks like you just want a MapleStory-style grind. If you actually want just the story, that’s a more legitimate complaint. That’s why you’re getting all the “go play WoW” comments.

“Be who you are and say what you feel
because those who mind don’t matter
and those who matter don’t mind.” -Dr. Seuss

Posted by: Leon Trotsky.3674

Leon Trotsky.3674

You are listening to the wrong tune for you.

If you don’t like a band, you don’t go up to some band member and beg him to change. You go listen something else.

Perhaps you should be playing The Old Republic.

Acewings.6872

You really need to add this to the OP so that people coming into the thread will better understand where you’re coming from. At first it looks like you just want a MapleStory-style grind. If you actually want just the story, that’s a more legitimate complaint. That’s why you’re getting all the “go play WoW” comments.

Thanks for being respectful and not flaming me, unlike the other users in this thread.

Acewings.6872

Rhanoa is true, the lack of persistence in GW1 makes it hard to label it as an MMO.

I seem to recall it was marketed as an ORPG instead due to the amount of instancing?

My point exactly actually. I have a history book in my closet that has a naked picture in it, that doesn’t make it a Playboy magazine. Arenanet can call this game whatever they want to, but the fact of the matter is that this game is not Guild Wars 2 because it is in no way related to Guild Wars 1 thus it is not a sequel.

Posted by: Wryscher.1432

Wryscher.1432

There are repeatable quest. They are called events. Learn them love them. Find a string of 3 that keep repeating every 3 minutes and go to town. Problem solved.

[Sane]-Order of the Insane Disorder
Melanessa-Necromancer Cymaniel-Scrapper
Minikata-Guardian Shadyne-Elementalist -FA-

Posted by: Bastion.2457

Bastion.2457

Um how did the OP miss the core function of this game? It’s not even discussion worthy, they have literally missed the entire point in every way of what this game is both about and aimed at.