Why were dungeons added to the monthly?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Smokey.8902

Smokey.8902

I hate dungeons. I do not find the idea of them fun. This is not an issue of difficulty, this is an issue of personal preference. After raiding and playing other MMO’s for the last several years, I personally have done enough group farming in dungeons to last me a life time. So why now must I be forced to do them if I want my monthly karma? What was wrong with the old system of salvaging? Albeit tedious, at least it wasn’t forcing me into looking for a group to complete content I have no interest in.

Let me state again. This has nothing to do with the people I “run” with, as I don’t do any dungeons ever. This has nothing to do with difficulty. This is purely about having fun and enjoying the game, and when it comes to dungeons having fun and enjoying the game are simply not options for me.

So I ask, why the change?

Posted by: fixit.7189

fixit.7189

Hmm not home yet, they added dungeons to monthly? God, I don’t want to do dungeons at all. Really really detest them. Have not had one single good experience in them to this date.

Smokey.8902

Yes they removed Salvaging and added Dungeons as well as two ??? categories most likely related to a Thanksgiving event. Dungeons are tedious, boring, and completely out of the way and not something I would choose to do given an option.

Posted by: Sera.6539

Sera.6539

Why have WvWvW kills been in the monthly?

It goes both ways. PvErs or people with less than optimal machines may not like to PvP. PvPers might not like to PvE. There even may be PvPers who hate WvWvW or PvErs that hate dungeons.

I’m guessing they were added to the monthly as an incentive to do them. I personally love it being in the monthly (it’s only 5 dungeon completions required – that’s not much). On an average day, I run that many, sometimes more.

Gelda Nebilim – Nagare [NGE] – Crystal Desert
http://youtube.com/user/Royblazer

Posted by: lollie.5816

lollie.5816

Heh, so now that’s two things I cba doing to complete a monthly.

Posted by: Solaxo.7409

Solaxo.7409

Get into a good group and they are a ton of fun. Some need tweaks for sure, but like someone posted in the other thread on this; go run AC. Others I recommend for quick runs are CoF path 2, and SE path 3. The last boss in SE path 3 is pretty sweet.

Solaxo | [MF] Malum Factum – Officer
www.malumfactum.com
Yak’s Bend

Posted by: Lightrayne.7829

Lightrayne.7829

I forgot where I read this, but way before release, monthly achievements were advertised to have a some new objectives each month, so I guess it would be safe to assume that another set of different objectives will appear for monthly achievements in the following months.

I completed my first monthly last month after seeing the karma change. I’m personally not a huge fan of WvW, but I want my karma badly enough that I just do it, anyways. :P

Posted by: Vorch.2985

Vorch.2985

Seeing more of these “I’m forced to _______” with the blank this week being WvW and Dungeons.

Is there something that states what can and can not be part of the monthly achievement?

And does the monthly achievement or 10 jugs of karma interfere with game progress?

Here’s what people thought of GW1 when it first came out: http://tinyurl.com/bntcvyc
“A release is 7 days or less away or has just happened within the last 7 days…
These are the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria.”

Posted by: Eveningstar.6940

Eveningstar.6940

I love Dungeons. I’m excited that this month’s achievements includes Dungeon completions.

If you don’t like Dungeons, you don’t have to do them this month. You don’t miss out on anything. The Monthly reward is a paltry handful of coin, 10 Mystic Coins and 10 Jugs of Karma. So 1 Monthly reward = 10 Dailies.

Monthly rewards are far from mandatory.

Valerie Cross: Roleplayer, Writer, Tarnished Coast

A Beginner’s Guide to Guardians

Smokey.8902

Get into a good group and they are a ton of fun. Some need tweaks for sure, but like someone posted in the other thread on this; go run AC. Others I recommend for quick runs are CoF path 2, and SE path 3. The last boss in SE path 3 is pretty sweet.

Does not matter how geared everyone is, or how competent they are. Dungeons are not fun to me. Never will be. It’s going completely out of my way, looking for four other people, and then completing an objective, numerous times. Not fun, just tedious.

fixit.7189

Going to be a totally miserable experience trying to knock this out. No pain, no gain I guess.

Time to annoy PvEers!

Posted by: Kursor.5746

Kursor.5746

Chill out. They change what’s required for the monthly every month just to spice things up. I much prefer them doing it this way than having the same requirements every month.

And don’t forget, ANet has a large player base that they have to appease. Some months you’re gonna like the monthly, other months you’re not. Maybe you just skip this month because you don’t like doing dungeons?

I didn’t really care for WvW, but because it was the last thing I needed for my monthly in October, I stepped into WvW (50 isn’t a lot anyways). And you know what? I actually enjoyed myself. Sure, I’m not going to do a lot of WvW aside from trying to get the monthly, but at least it encouraged me to try something I wouldn’t have otherwise been keen to doing.

Edit:

Tl;dr – Some people like dungeons (I do!), other people don’t. This is true of every facet of the game. Thus, the monthly is going to sometimes be something you like and sometimes something you don’t like. I don’t think ANet should stop playing with variation just because a handful of players want to QQ about it.

fixit.7189

Love dungeons, but not in this particular game. No trinity is the reason, so it ends up being a mindlessly chaotic GY zerg most of the time. Boring. Dungeons here are far from the calibre of say that other game so I really dunno what more I can say.

Will attempt this monthly, but I will certainly not enjoy it.

Posted by: Aza.2105

Aza.2105

Love dungeons, but not in this particular game. No trinity is the reason, so it ends up being a mindlessly chaotic GY zerg most of the time. Boring. Dungeons here are far from the calibre of say that other game so I really dunno what more I can say.

Will attempt this monthly, but I will certainly not enjoy it.

No, its just the groups you are in or perhaps you. GY zerg is a result of poor groups with poor coordination.

GW2 probably has some of the most coordinated and strategical dungeons that I’ve seen in any mmo. And this is because it doesn’t require the redundant tank, heal and dps combination. Its all about skill and how you use them.

Amd Ryzen 1800x – Amd Fury X -64GB of ram
Windows 10

Posted by: coglin.1496

coglin.1496

Because Anet decided it should be a requirement for “this month”. It is part of the game, and any part of the game is suitable to become a part of the monthly achievement at one time or another. Sorry if some of you do not like it.

Poor craftsman blame their tools. Poor players blame their Engineer.

Posted by: Dogblaster.6713

Dogblaster.6713

Who cares dungeons are not fun for you? I didnt see anyone complaining about monthly WvW or salvaging, etc ..

Monthly achievements requires players to explore different things that game offers, dungeon is one of them.

So just be quiet and stop making useless threads like this one

(edited by Dogblaster.6713)

fixit.7189

Here’s thing…50 kills in Wv3 takes like…1 hour max. Most cases, just one zerg v zerg battle. Easy.

Running this monthly dungeon takes considerably more hours worth of time.

Raise Wv3 kills to say 500 and then see how you like it.

Posted by: Qelris.6901

Qelris.6901

5 dungeons over a month is going to kill you? This is like the easiest monthly achievement ever..

I’m only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Smokey.8902

5 dungeons over a month is going to kill you? This is like the easiest monthly achievement ever..

It’s more than I would do in a year, so yes I feel I’m entitled to complain. The people making the WvW comparison seem to neglect that WvW can be soloed and Dungeons cannot. I would rather salvage five thousand items than run five dungeons. Personal preference.

Posted by: Knote.2904

Knote.2904

TBH I hate both the wvw and dungeon requirement.

Posted by: Orissa.1872

Orissa.1872

They requiere us to do only 5 dungeon runs (I’ve expected 20 at least), might be even the same path 5 times in a row. It’s not a big deal, just 5 runs, for sure way faster than salvages. They did that to encourage more people to try out the dungeons. There were more requests for story modes lately, what means that dungeons are slowly gaining popularity. So the next step was making them a monthly goal, so people will more likely do explorable modes

About WvW:
I hate this bullkitten, zerging which makes completely no sense. And if you’re that unlucky that you’re matched against overpopulated server, you can’t even get many kills from those zergs. Usually it takes me up to 2 days of doing WvW to fill this achievement. Not talking about financial matter. In 5 dungeon runs (from easy SE to hard CoE) I’m usually having 20-25 silver profit (counting repairs and loot in) + gear tokens. In WvW I’m ending up with barely few badges (hard to grab them in zerg) and like 10 silver from events, yet losing like 30 silver on repairs. I’d like normal PvP kills more, at least PvP is way more fair

Posted by: Raire.7983

Raire.7983

It’s more than I would do in a year, so yes I feel I’m entitled to complain. The people making the WvW comparison seem to neglect that WvW can be soloed and Dungeons cannot. I would rather salvage five thousand items than run five dungeons. Personal preference.

FWIW, I agree. Dungeons have been off my “to do” list ever since I found out they couldn’t be soloed or at least duo’ed, in story mode. Even with heroes in Eye of the North, I could only be bothered to do them once for the book. Just not my thing.

Posted by: GregT.4702

GregT.4702

The design philosophy of the monthly appears to be specifically to encourage you to move outside of your comfort zone by experiencing content that you wouldn’t do normally. I strongly suspect that some of the upcoming monthlies will feature other gameplay that not everyone interacts with, like “Complete X jumping puzzles” or “Craft X items” or “Consume X drinks”.

Which is fine.

(EDIT: Actually probably not drinks unless they just want to make artificers rich and everyone else poor. But you get my point.)

I do object to the WvW requirement being there every month, though. I find myself going to WvW just to farm kills, which is not the same thing as playing to win or playing for fun. One month was enough. I’d experienced WvW, decided it’s fun during the 10% of the time there’s a balanced matchup and terrible otherwise. Something else now, please.

Eveningstar.6940

@Smokey

I don’t understand what you’re asking. On the one hand, you’ve made it abundantly clear that you dislike dungeons, and that your feelings toward dungeons are a matter of personal preference.

But on the other hand, you’re asking: “Why the change?”

Naturally the change to the monthly requirements has nothing to do with your personal preference. Not everyone feels the way you do, and presumably, the change is because ANet believes that dungeon completion is an appropriate criteria for this month’s achievement.

Posted by: Manoa.5897

Manoa.5897

Yes they removed Salvaging and added Dungeons as well as two ??? categories most likely related to a Thanksgiving event.

The two ?? categories are most likely to do with “The Lost Shores” content update that will be going live in November. As far as I know, ArenaNet doesn’t do a Thanksgiving event.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/releases/november-2012/

Chaos Spatulai [Chef] | Paragon City Elite [PCE]
Henge of Denravi

lollie.5816

The design philosophy of the monthly appears to be specifically to encourage you to move outside of your comfort zone by experiencing content that you wouldn’t do normally.

Well what they don’t seem to get is we don’t do that content, because we don’t want to do that content.

Posted by: Vzur.7123

Vzur.7123

I’m guessing it might because they’ve realized people aren’t doing dungeons enough.. Course, maybe its not for lack of incentive, but rather because some people just don’t like dungeons, in their current format. It’s too much like the generic MMO-clone style instances that GW2 has done a great job of getting away from, for the most part.

Maybe rather than trying to push people to do them, they should be looking into alternatives to how they’re implemented. Figure out why people aren’t enjoying them, and address that, rather than nudging people to do them, anyhow.

Orissa.1872

Well what they don’t seem to get is we don’t do that content, because we don’t want to do that content.

Wrong
Majority would even like to try out dungeons, but they’re afraid, as they mostly heard it’s pretty competetive content or they got no friends/guildies who would like to guide them. Since the monthly reset I’ve done some dungeons with parties full of first timers. Some of them were hopeless, yet the most is able to learn and adapt. They were even finding the rewards pretty cool, as they were having some extra silver and tokens, sometimes crafting materials, sometimes rare gear (bro tip: give peach tarts to every virgin). For a part of players this monthly is for sure just a casual adventure with dungeons, depending on their teammates, it might be even a nice experience

Posted by: Crater.1625

Crater.1625

Having to do 75 events was pretty kitten tedious, as I don’t like non-dungeon play and find events really boring.

Having to salvage 500 items was literally just a matter of clicking a mouse hundreds of times, with nothing else to it beyond that.

Having to kill 50 players in WvW was (and still is) the single most tedious thing I can imagine doing in this game, as WvW is a poorly executed version of a gameplay mode that is boring even if it’s handled perfectly.

The monthly achievement is about giving the entire game a shot, and not just the one or two parts that you like best. You had no problem with multiple months of monthly achievements that other people found much more offensive than you find having to do a handful of dungeons. Now it’s their turn to get a monthly that they enjoy, and your turn to suck it up.
Hopefully next month it’s 5 dungeons and 50 sPvP/tPvP kills.

Smokey.8902

The design philosophy of the monthly appears to be specifically to encourage you to move outside of your comfort zone by experiencing content that you wouldn’t do normally.

Basically this. Without starting a WoW discussion I played that game for over 3 years. I did every single heroic raid, heroic dungeon, blah blah. I’ve done enough group PvE content to last me a couple life times. I now understand the method behind Anet’s madness with changing the monthly, but I am still against it. While I am not against the idea of the requirements changing, I am against making any sort of group activity mandatory for monthly reward.

You can say “well just do it with your guild”, I don’t have one. “Just do it with your friends” they all quit for Pandaria. So as pathetic as it might seem, I play MMOs solo, and I enjoy it. I do not enjoy the need of having to find other players to complete an objective. And yes, I can avoid this monthly altogether as it’s basically just 10 dailies. That’s still 10 more jugs of karma I could have, and knowing that is enough to pester me into completing it.

I’m not looking to accomplish anything, I was just bothered by the change and curious as to why. Now that I know, there’s not really anything to add to this other than opinions on why player X likes dungeons, and why player Y does not.

As for the ??? things, someone said Thanksgiving event so that’s what I assumed. If it is something else than I apologize for misleading.

I love the game, I just hate dungeons. That’s just my opinion.

Posted by: BowmasterSol.3457

BowmasterSol.3457

Anet had stated awhile ago that the requirements for monthly achievements would vary from month to month. Granted that the first couple of months were the same or very similar, but it was bound to happen that there would be a month having dungeon path completion.

Knowledge is power.

lollie.5816

Wrong
Majority would even like to try out dungeons, but they’re afraid

What do you mean “wrong” – it’s clear you’re not one of the ones that doesn’t do the content, why are you even thinking you can speak for us? Most people don’t do content they’re not interested in, plain and simple. It isn’t “we’re afraid” – it’s “we don’t want to do it”. Jeez, what a kitten.

Orissa.1872

@lollie
You’re speaking of people who actually tried dungeons, but didn’t like them. But there are still many players who didn’t even try it

I’m doing monthly WvW part, tho I hate it, just because it’s always the only thing I need for monthly, despite of my normal activities. It was never a real reason to complain, as I’ve got a whole month to score those 50 kills. If I can get my kitten in borderlands from time to time, I believe players like you are able to do those ridiculous 5 dungeon runs over whole month

Posted by: Oh Snapalope.1378

Oh Snapalope.1378

Dungeon master here. Apparently I can’t say “umad” here so I’ll give some good advice how to get this done and find groups easily.

1. Get to 80 fast. Being a level 80 scaled to 35 compared to a real level 35 makes a huge difference. That’s why most groups are very reluctant to take non level 80s because even with level scaling, a level 80 is still superior. Unfortunately, unless Arenanet changes the way level scaling works and make it more balanced, this is the way it’s going to stay.

2. Get fully geared as soon as you hit 80. Exotics do make a difference. For example the step from rare to exotic jewelries are about 200 point stats gain. 200 points into stats is a lot. Just a note, it is generally a bad idea to go full glass cannon. It’s just not viable because dungeon creeps hit extremely hard. If you go down in 1 hit, which will happen, you are putting a lot of stress on the rest of your teammates. If you go down, chances are you will go down again, and again, or also drag other teammates down with you to the grave. It is generally a good practice to build tanky, however there are situations where a glass cannon build is perfectly viable and I have ran with really good people that can make it work. Don’t do that until you get more experienced. Remember also that defensive stats multiply with offensive stats because the longer you can stay alive in the fight, the more damage you will be dishing out.

3. Do not wear magic find gear ever in dungeons. This is very simple due to the fact that magic find takes up useful stats. Like you can put the magic find slots into power, toughness, or vitality. All of those will make you hit harder, and stay live longer. Also they benefit your team as a whole too.

5. Have a good attitude. Be ready to learn, and be nice to people who are trying to teach you how to run a dungeon. If you can’t do that, don’t expect them to be nice to you. If you have a good dungeon guild, it will be really easy to meet people and have them teach you how to run dungeons.

(edited by Oh Snapalope.1378)

Smokey.8902

Dungeon master here. Apparently I can’t say “umad” here so I’ll give some good advice how to get this done and find groups easily.

1. Get to 80 fast. Being a level 80 scaled to 35 compared to a real level 35 makes a huge difference. That’s why most groups are very reluctant to take non level 80s because even with level scaling, a level 80 is still superior. Unfortunately, unless Arenanet changes the way level scaling works and make it more balanced, this is the way it’s going to stay.

2. Get fully geared as soon as you hit 80. Exotics do make a difference. For example the step from rare to exotic jewelries are about 200 point stats gain. 200 points into stats is a lot. Just a note, it is generally a bad idea to go full glass cannon. It’s just not viable because dungeon creeps hit extremely hard. If you go down in 1 hit, which will happen, you are putting a lot of stress on the rest of your teammates. If you go down, chances are you will go down again, and again, or also drag other teammates down with you to the grave. It is generally a good practice to build tanky, however there are situations where a glass cannon build is perfectly viable and I have ran with really good people that can make it work. Don’t do that until you get more experienced.

3. Do not wear magic find gear ever in dungeons. This is very simple due to the fact that magic find takes up useful stats. Like you can put the magic find slots into power, toughness, or vitality. All of those will make you hit harder, and stay live longer. Also they benefit your team as a whole too.

5. Have a good attitude. Be ready to learn, and be nice to people who are trying to teach you how to run a dungeon. If you can’t do that, don’t expect them to be nice to you. If you have a good dungeon guild, it will be really easy to meet people and have them teach you how to run dungeons.

You missed the point that people are not asking how to do dungeons, but why we have to.

Edit: Also once more about the WvW comparison. WvW can be soloed in under an hours time. I can queue for a battle right now with 0 kills, and have all 50 within 30 minutes to an hour. It is a very simple requirement.

You could argue Dungeons are just as easy, but you’d be wrong. In addition to traveling to said dungeon and clearing events to make it available, you have to find four competent players, and hope they stick around for the duration. And that’s just for 1 dungeon. Sure, you could probably repeat the same dungeon til you completed the monthly. Sounds fun right? Repeating the same content.

Nobody will convince me that dungeons are fun. That is my opinion. That is how I feel about the subject. You are entitled to disagree and form your own opinions, just know that mine will not change.

(edited by Smokey.8902)

Posted by: Sad Swordfish.9743

Sad Swordfish.9743

I don’t like dungeons but I hope I will enjoy them more, with monthly being an addition.

I appreciate that ArenaNet swap the Monthly requirements around. the first month it was getting 200.000 xp without dying. that was fun too.

its okay to spice it up.

lollie.5816

@lollie
You’re speaking of people who actually tried dungeons, but didn’t like them.

No I’m not. What’s with you trying to tell people what they really mean?

I’m talking about people who don’t do content, because they don’t want to do that content. People don’t all enjoy the same things. It’s quite simple – if you try really really really hard I bet even you could understand.

Oh Snapalope.1378

2. Get fully geared as soon as you hit 80. Exotics do make a difference. For example the step from rare to exotic jewelries are about 200 point stats gain. 200 points into stats is a lot. Just a note, it is generally a bad idea to go full glass cannon. It’s just not viable because dungeon creeps hit extremely hard. If you go down in 1 hit, which will happen, you are putting a lot of stress on the rest of your teammates. If you go down, chances are you will go down again, and again, or also drag other teammates down with you to the grave. It is generally a good practice to build tanky, however there are situations where a glass cannon build is perfectly viable and I have ran with really good people that can make it work. Don’t do that until you get more experienced.

You missed the point that people are not asking how to do dungeons, but why we have to.

Edit: Also once more about the WvW comparison. WvW can be soloed in under an hours time. I can queue for a battle right now with 0 kills, and have all 50 within 30 minutes to an hour. It is a very simple requirement.

You could argue Dungeons are just as easy, but you’d be wrong. In addition to traveling to said dungeon and clearing events to make it available, you have to find four competent players, and hope they stick around for the duration. And that’s just for 1 dungeon. Sure, you could probably repeat the same dungeon til you completed the monthly. Sounds fun right? Repeating the same content.

Nobody will convince me that dungeons are fun. That is my opinion. That is how I feel about the subject. You are entitled to disagree and form your own opinions, just know that mine will not change.

If you don’t find it fun, I’ll run you through AC show you how easily it is to clear it and find groups.

Posted by: Hamsterfist.3182

Hamsterfist.3182

Because the November update is going to include a new dungeon of some sort or another.

My guess.

Edit: HAHA! Found this on the forum, like 2 minutes later.. https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/dungeons/New-Dungeon-announced

Eveningstar.6940

Then can I ask, honestly, what the point of this thread is other than using it as a soapbox to broadcast a cast-iron and unshakeable opinion to as many people as possible? It’s fair to assume that if someone devotes an entire thread to an opinion, then that opinion is up for debate.

Posted by: Grumwulf.9602

Grumwulf.9602

I don’t farm cursed shores because I find it boring but I’m quite poor. I won’t do the monthly because I cba but I’ll have less karma. Just because it’s the “monthly” doesn’t mean it’s some kind of magic content that can’t not be done. Do or it or don’t do it. Be rewarded or don’t be. No one is forcing anything.

fixit.7189

I have yet to meet a ‘dungeon master’ who is nice. Most are impatient, rude, and likes to yell alot. Maybe I am just lucky.

Posted by: Finaldeath.1059

Finaldeath.1059

Anet said they are adding a new dungeon this month so i am sure that is the reason they added dungeons to the monthly.

Oh Snapalope.1378

I have yet to meet a ‘dungeon master’ who is nice. Most are impatient, rude, and likes to yell alot. Maybe I am just lucky.

I’m nice as long as people are willing to learn and listen. Which for the majority of times doesn’t happen when I try to teach new people how to run.

Posted by: Salamol.7963

Salamol.7963

If the monthly achievement stuff is going to vary, you’re going to get things you don’t like. Nobody is forcing you to do it though… the time it’s taken to whine about this issue you could have done 2 or 3 dungeons already. I assume you don’t like whining either… but at least you’d be halfway to your dungeon achievement!

Follow me: @Salamolign
Mist Angels [Mist] – Piken Square

Posted by: Auesis.7301

Auesis.7301

Fine by me – I love dungeons and WvW. Win/win.

To enjoy a dungeon, you need a good party with you, and to enjoy WvW, avoid going alone. Simple as that.

Gnome Child [Gc]
Resident Thief

Smokey.8902

If the monthly achievement stuff is going to vary, you’re going to get things you don’t like. Nobody is forcing you to do it though… the time it’s taken to whine about this issue you could have done 2 or 3 dungeons already. I assume you don’t like whining either… but at least you’d be halfway to your dungeon achievement!

If someone having an opinion is considered whining to you than we have nothing to discuss. I’d rather avoid calling you names, and having a pointless argument. Group events should not be a requirement for solo achievements. That is my opinion.

Posted by: NightFire.7563

NightFire.7563

Because Salvaging was too easy and was a bigger money sink then Dungeons. Just stop kittening about having to do some actual work, and do the actual work.

And if you have a less then optimal PC you probably shouldn’t be playing this game anyway.

Posted by: Haishao.6851

Haishao.6851

“Group events should not be a requirement for solo achievements. That is my opinion.”
Where does it say it is a solo achievement?
All it says in my game is “Monthly achievement”

Smokey.8902

It’s a solo achievement in that it’s individual to your account. It’s not something that needs to be done with a large group, or at least it shouldn’t be. You should not be dependent on others for your own rewards. If you disagree that’s fine.