Why were dungeons added to the monthly?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Snow White.9680

Snow White.9680

If you don’t enjoy doing dungeons then don’t do them. You can skip the monthly if you really want to.

Posted by: LordYz.8941

LordYz.8941

Ppl complain the monthly achievements too stale. Now they change it every month and ppl still complaining. Faceplam

Sea of Sorrows, Black Snow Suave.
Recruiting dungeon raiders.

Posted by: lollie.5816

lollie.5816

Ppl complain the monthly achievements too stale. Now they change it every month and ppl still complaining. Faceplam

I facepalm for seeing txtspeak and misspelled emotes, while claiming large numbers of people complained about something that nobody has ever posted. Wait there while I add you to my ingame der—plist

Posted by: Xenesis.6389

Xenesis.6389

No people complained about having pvp in the achievement, and that apparently made pve’s miserable. Now they’ve added dungeons so they can make pvp’s miserable too. We’re all the same miserable boat now!

Another derailing post. ^^
North Keep: One of the village residents will now flee if their home is destroyed.
“Game over man, Game Over!” – RIP Bill

Posted by: Rynarx.6124

Rynarx.6124

And it won’t help people liking GW2 dungeons anymore this month when there will be alot more people doing dungeons for the first time who are there only to get that achievement out of the way and don’t really like/want to be there.

Posted by: Sirevanac.3178

Sirevanac.3178

You dont always get what you like, its as simple as that…

People dont like to WvW, people prefer selling rather than salvaging, people dont like dungeons. And every month will change so, there-s no really point for complaining. :/

The game doesnt change if you dont achieve it anyway, and is clear now that the monthly achievment will require you to go through all the aspects of the game.

Posted by: DeathMetal.8264

DeathMetal.8264

I know dungeons are fun to many, or probably, to some. For me, they are “ok” but I can’t devote the time to do complete dungeons. Unlike PvP, PvE, WvW where you can easily get in/out and resume, it’s not with dungeon where you have to get stuck to complete it.

Anyway, I guess I’ll be trying to complete it, not because it’s fun but to have some sort of challenge (not in terms of difficulty) in giving dungeon “time”…

Lv80 Thief |Mesmer |Necromancer|Ranger|Guardian|Warrior|Elementalist|Engineer
[Aeon of Wonder]
Maguuma Server

Posted by: fellyn.5083

fellyn.5083

You missed the point that people are not asking how to do dungeons, but why we have to.

Edit: Also once more about the WvW comparison. WvW can be soloed in under an hours time. I can queue for a battle right now with 0 kills, and have all 50 within 30 minutes to an hour. It is a very simple requirement.

You could argue Dungeons are just as easy, but you’d be wrong. In addition to traveling to said dungeon and clearing events to make it available, you have to find four competent players, and hope they stick around for the duration. And that’s just for 1 dungeon. Sure, you could probably repeat the same dungeon til you completed the monthly. Sounds fun right? Repeating the same content.

Nobody will convince me that dungeons are fun. That is my opinion. That is how I feel about the subject. You are entitled to disagree and form your own opinions, just know that mine will not change.

The solution is simple. Don’t do it this month. I mean, you realize it’s purely optional right?

Posted by: Missy.7356

Missy.7356

Somewhere in these forums isn’t there a thread saying that Dungeons were not really meant to be puggable, they were for co-ordinated teams.

Id like 10 jugs of karma, but not that much. WvW kills are pretty easy, you join a massive group and you win, (in a fairly short time, since if you want 100% Map you need to go there anyway.) I did enjoy GW1 dungeons, but i haven’t found these ones fun at all.

And your right I don’t have to do it, and since I have managed to complete just one monthly since the start, missing this one isn’t going to upset me either.

Posted by: Chorel.1720

Chorel.1720

I don’t like playing WvW but I have to if I want to complete the monthly. Welcome to our world I guess. Now YOU have to do something you don’t like to complete the monthly. I am totally fine with this change this month. I love dungeons and don’t really care for WvW so…

Posted by: Wasselin.1235

Wasselin.1235

I hate getting into the dungeons— it’s so annoying to find a group “the old fashion way.” I still can’t believe they don’t have any plans for a dungeon finder. What kind of modern mmo doesn’t have an easy way to group up and tackle a dungeon?

“Please find my dear friends… Dead or Alive” -redmakoto

Posted by: Kromsin.6359

Kromsin.6359

50 kills is nothing in wvw. 5 dungeons is a huge time sink.

They could have made the mini dungeons count.

fellyn.5083

Playing the game is a huge time sink. Saying something takes to much time in a video game is completely ironic – because that’s the entire point of a video game. To be a time sink.

And once again, you guys realize it’s purely optional right?

Posted by: Icecat.4528

Icecat.4528

force the player base into an un-fun time sink for meh loot… great.

this game is really losing my interest with all the bots, these types of changes, bugs, DR code which makes it kitten to farm mats needed to actually craft anything of value…

GW2 mods can fuck it up their cock sucking asses – Sieg heil you nazi fuckers

Posted by: Icecat.4528

Icecat.4528

Playing the game is a huge time sink. Saying something takes to much time in a video game is completely ironic – because that’s the entire point of a video game. To be a time sink.

I thought the point was to have fun? Silly me. And Anet has now realized players are not into time sink dungeons because there is no real reward – drops are trash, token loot is no better than crafted. So – they decide to force us into them to get the monthly … Anet realizes 80s are getting bored and time sinks are the hope of keeping players in-game buying gems and such, but this is a fail decision.

Improve loot and players will come. Don’t force it on us with a change no one wants.

GW2 mods can fuck it up their cock sucking asses – Sieg heil you nazi fuckers

Posted by: Hawken.7932

Hawken.7932

So depressing to see people complaining about this. The monthly is a cross-section of the game — you do a bit of everything and are given a decent reward for doing so. If you don’t want to do the work, then you do not get the reward.

Posted by: Shootsfoot.9276

Shootsfoot.9276

So do what I do and just skip the monthly.

fellyn.5083

I thought the point was to have fun? Silly me. And Anet has now realized players are not into time sink dungeons because there is no real reward – drops are trash, token loot is no better than crafted. So – they decide to force us into them to get the monthly … Anet realizes 80s are getting bored and time sinks are the hope of keeping players in-game buying gems and such, but this is a fail decision.

Improve loot and players will come. Don’t force it on us with a change no one wants.

Good job on missing the point completely. Just like playing the game all, if you don’t want to do it you don’t have to. It really is that simple.

(edited by fellyn.5083)

Posted by: LameFox.6349

LameFox.6349

It’s a monthly achievement, not a monthly gift-for-doing-what-you-would-have-done-anyway.

Posted by: Bruno Sardine.2907

Bruno Sardine.2907

I think they were added because moderators noticed that there was a general lack of complaints on the forums and told the devs they need to do something to generate more whining.

Seriously… it’s an achievement for doing things in the game not “hey we noticed you’ve been playing for a bit so here’s some complementary butt-kissing in the form of this goodie basket filled with karma jugs and mystic coins… Enjoy

I didn’t particularly enjoy salvaging 500 items that I could’ve vendored instead, but I did it anyway. I wasn’t a huge fan of trying to get the trick or treat bags, but I managed to get them all anyway without spending hours in Halloween events. The 50 pvp kills has been around for awhile… it’s not my forte, but I did it anyway for the reward. Just suck it up…. I can’t even believe this is legitimate complaints or just really good trolling.

Posted by: Liquid.5961

Liquid.5961

This “It’s my opinion and no matter what your opinion is mine will not change” arguement is silly. This is like complaining that you need more then one person to do group events. You get achievements for doing bosses and you need more people for that. Just because you don’t like it doesn’t mean anything. There is nothing mandantory about achievements, they’re acheivements for a reason. And no, you should NOT be able to get all the achievements in the game based on solo play. This is after all, an MMO. Sent from my Iphone.

Posted by: Zoid.2568

Zoid.2568

There is WvWvW aswell. Going to whine about that too?

Posted by: Bruno Sardine.2907

Bruno Sardine.2907

There is WvWvW aswell. Going to whine about that too?

Trust me…. folks have been even though this has been part of the monthly achievement since the first one.

Posted by: Korath.7402

Korath.7402

My guess is because a lot of the player base hasn’t been bothering to do the dungeons much (I’m one of those people). So they want to encourage people to take the time to discover this content.

Posted by: Hologramx.6402

Hologramx.6402

No one is going to return to the game for this change.
On the contrary, many might start thinking of saying goodbye with this change.
I am one of them.
It contradicts with the concept of the Dynamic Event design that you can join and leave at your will. Then don’t even have an LFG UI yet. I enjoy playing with my alts rather than running dungeons with my level 80s (usually people expect you to join them as a level 80 nowadays if you have a level 80), and I believe that playing with my alts help contributing to the already underpopulated low level zones but now they want you to stop doing that? Ridiculous.

Well, congratulation to dungeon lovers. You can complete a monthly in a few hours as part of your daily activities.

Monthly are supposed to be long term objectives. The current two objectives is something that you can either complete in a few hours, or something that you can never complete, or take a lot of pains to complete. Does not make sense.

If you enter a department store, no one expects you to buy something from each floor. Playing an MMORPG does not mean you must play all its contents. I don’t likeve PvP so I completely ignore sPvP or only obliged to do a little bit of WvW for last month achievements (which was pain for me). The PvE contents without dungeons is really good enough for me to play the game alone but this monthly achievement changes is telling you that you MUST run their dungeons. WTH, it sounds so arrogant.

(edited by Hologramx.6402)

Posted by: Kyrul.7681

Kyrul.7681

I could see a basis for an argument if the montly gave a reward unattainable by any other means, but they do not. You get karma and mystic coins, the former you can get doing practically anything, and the latter you can buy for 1s a pop.

You can equal the monthly reward via just a few hours of extra work. If you hate dungeons then simply do not complete the monthly. I can understand some level of annoyance but this is not a big deal.

Posted by: BrunoBRS.5178

BrunoBRS.5178

because having to buy 500 items and a bunch of salvage kits every month just for the monthly was annoying as hell.

LegendaryMythril/Zihark Darshell

Hologramx.6402

They could have simply added a Monthly Dungeon Achievement and it will be fine, like all other MMORPGs do. Specific Dailies or Weeklies for each PvP, dungeons, raid, generic PvE to suit everyone. You can simply ignore those you don’t like to do, but in this game, you will be ignoring everything since there is only one monthly achievement.

It does not make sense to add dungeon runs compulsory for a general monthly achievement. It is telling you that Dungeon is a Must in this game. And why a Monthly is completely different from Daily? Do you only drink water for the day and only eat meals for the month? It is supposed to be a result of your effort accumulated from your daily activities, it should be something like finish 10 daily achievements or so.

Posted by: Sera.6539

Sera.6539

The same could be said for WvWvW. The monthly is telling you that WvWvW is a must. It is optional, just like dungeons. No one is forcing you to do dailies. If you don’t like to achieve the monthly, then don’t. It is not a hand out, you must put in at least a bit of effort.

Gelda Nebilim – Nagare [NGE] – Crystal Desert
http://youtube.com/user/Royblazer

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

5 dungeons take less than 2 hours if you just want to complete it for the monthly and you will also make over 2g during it.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

Posted by: DigitalKirin.9714

DigitalKirin.9714

For those of you who said that you don’t have any friends or guildies to run dungeons with, if you want to throw my name on your contacts pane and hit me up when I’m online, I’ll be more than glad to help you out with them. o_o)-b

Genevieve Talbot [NP] – Noble Phantasm on Stormbluff Isle

Posted by: Mephane.8496

Mephane.8496

Well personally, I hope salvaging does not make a comeback. That imho by far the worst monthly requirement for me. (Though I can see how for a pure PvP player, dungeons is absolutely unacceptible.)

Hologramx.6402

I think they are just lack of ideas and it seems that they don’t listen much to suggestions. I have seen so many good suggestions in the forum and many of them are pretty practical and easy to implement but I can hardly see them being added into the game yet. The incoming what they called “Major Patch” would be the last time I evaluate on their stance and if they still don’t implement things that usually available in many other MMOs, well ..

To help those underpopulated low and mid-level zones, ideas like “Finish 5 Events each in 10 different maps” can be added to the Monthly Achievement. There are many other possible ideas if they really understand the situation around the world they built. But not dungeons at this point. At least they need an LFG UI and make the dungeon run more balanced, worthy and bug-free for the majority of casual player base. Currently it is mostly a place for people to farm gold.

Posted by: Sarisa.4731

Sarisa.4731

I personally have never completed any of the monthlies. That’s because I dislike PvP, and had no desire to do the kills (and yes, I did try WvW, gave it a solid two day test during the betas/stress tests, and still did not like it). WvW kills has been in August, September, and October.

Because I don’t want to PvP to do the monthly, I just accept I won’t complete it and move on. Complaining about it really doesn’t help.

It would be nice if the different aspects of a monthly changed more radically each month. There are a huge variety of possible monthly sub-achievements, some good ones have already been said. Give it more variety, and maybe you will get a combination you will like.

Very few would be happy with absolutely everything, but at least at some point, you will get a monthly achievement you will want to complete.

On this particular topic, the biggest issue with getting people interested in dungeons is that story mode is NOT an effective introduction. Explorable is supposed to be the “hard mode”, and although some paths are, several paths are far easier than story mode. Story mode (outside of Arah, and maybe CM) is less forgiving than a lot of the explorable paths.

Lille of the Valley [WHIP]

Posted by: Kromsin.6359

Kromsin.6359

Amusing part is the comparison to the wvwvw 50 kills. They aren’t even close in comparison to effort put out.

Posted by: notebene.3190

notebene.3190

I don’t care much for the dungeons, but I’m going to do my 5. I wasn’t crazy about having to do WvW to work on map completion, but after doing it, it’s now one of my favorite game activities. I figure I’ll give dungeons a fair shake. I’m going to try a different story each time. I’ve done 2, and one was great and the other not so much, but still ended with a positive cash flow.

In the long run, what I’d like to see for the monthly is maybe 6 things to do, and you pick any 3/4 to complete the monthly. That way you can mostly choose what you like, with maybe one “not my favorite”.

Posted by: Banquetto.9521

Banquetto.9521

I don’t like dungeons either but the question “why?” is an incredibly easy one to answer: because ArenaNet want to prod players into trying different parts of the game. There will be players out there who have never bothered to get a group together and check out a dungeon – now they will. There will be players that tried dungeons earlier and found them too hard – now maybe they’ll give them a second chance and find them a lot smoother as people are more experienced.

Posted by: Maskeus.2396

Maskeus.2396

The salvage achievement was really, really dull. Five dungeons is a lot easier and less tedious. If you’re that adamant about not doing them, then don’t. Plain and simple.

Posted by: Bellatrix.5402

Bellatrix.5402

It’s a horrible choice not because of design but because so many dungeon paths have blocking bugs at the moment.

EDIT: Not that I mind it as a dungeon runner myself though, and the removal of the salvage requirement is nice.

Posted by: nvmvoidrays.2158

nvmvoidrays.2158

even if i wasn’t a fan of dungeons, i’d rather do 5 dungeons then 75 events or salvaging… 350 item?

Posted by: techknowcat.1632

techknowcat.1632

it would not be an mmo if there were no complainers,

“it’s to hard,”
“it’s to easy”
“not enough instances”
“to many instances”
“not enough pve”
“not enough pvp”
“to much group content”
“to much solo content”………… sound familiar LOL

Posted by: Dead.7385

Dead.7385

They really just need 4 seperate monthly quests:
PvP – one the requires PvP kills / supply camps capped (or defended) / Towers capped (or defended)
PvE Solo – Do “X” DE’s / Kill “X” of “Y” mobs / Salvage “X” items
Crafting – Craft “X” Armor – Gather “X” items – Craft “X” Weapons – Craft “X” Jewelry
PvE Group – Do “X” dungeons / Kill “X” Bosses / Earn “X” amount of tokens

If one of those is completed it will make all other monthly quests grey out. So if you do dungeons are purely it (what I do), I can finish it and then PvP/PvE solo/Crafting will become not completable till next month.

Same thing for dailies. I stopped doing them, because I just didn’t want to do DE’s anymore. I do dungeons only.

Everyone wins.

(edited by Dead.7385)

BrunoBRS.5178

it would not be an mmo if there were no complainers,

“it’s to hard,”
“it’s to easy”
“not enough instances”
“to many instances”
“not enough pve”
“not enough pvp”
“to much group content”
“to much solo content”………… sound familiar LOL

you forgot “nerf X, it’s OP because it killed me in PvP”

Posted by: LastDay.3524

LastDay.3524

It’s not really even “Do 5 dungeons”
You get a point for each path.

Do 3 paths in Ascalonian Catacombs and 2 in Citadel of Flames and you’ve got your ach on top of all the Gold and tokens.

Benight[Edge]

BrunoBRS.5178

Okay, okay. Fine. Let’s just take away the monthly all together, before even more people start to feel entitled to it.

if we remove features every time people complain about it, the thief class wouldn’t exist anymore, which i bet some sore losers would love to see happen, but it shouldn’t.

Posted by: Citizen.8015

Citizen.8015

This thread could be a joke thread without changing a single thing.

Posted by: KLC.6304

KLC.6304

Nothing splendid has ever been achieved except by those who dared believe that something inside them was superior to circumstances.
Bruce Barton

Posted by: penatbater.4710

penatbater.4710

I’m even pretty sure you can repeat one path over and over again and it will still count as a dungeon run. honestly, idk what all the fuzz is all about. If it were me, I’d rather they remove the wvw kills. It’s really rather impossible to get 50 wvw kills when another server dominates like 580/20/5 or something like that. Going solo at wvw is also a terrible idea. and it’s just 5 dungeon runs. all doable within a day. Getting 50 wvw kills totally depends on the circumstances of your wvw matchup. If it’s a good match-up (with each server having a near equal share of the maps), then it’s good. But if its skewed, it’s hard (even, i think, if you’re the dominating server).

Don’t disturb me, I have a cat in me at the moment.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

At least twice in this thread, posters have offered that it takes an hour or less to get 50 WvWvW kills. This is not true across the board. Last month it took me 8 to 9 times that long, because my server had 3K points and one of our opponents had 400k points. There were a few fights that were even for a short time, then their reinforcements would arrive and the numbers were heavily in their favor. Add to that people logging out when downed and getting those kills was a constant dance on the edge of the invulnerable zone. Cheesy, but wasn’t going to happen otherwise.

So, getting WvWvW kills is not always going to be easy. 5 dungeons in 8 to 9 hours? Sounds like it could be done in much shorter than that.

Posted by: Xenesis.6389

Xenesis.6389

I optionally paid to optionally play this game, I optionally play the parts that optionally interest me with the optionally option of having optional fun. I would optionally prefer if I optionally chose what I optionally wanted to optionally skip, not the other optional way around where they’re optionally making me optionally skip stuff.

I heard you people like the word optional so I put some more option in your optional. Thank you for optionally listening to me, you may optionally go back to telling people it’s optional. Have an optional nice night.

P.S While we’re on topic of options it would be nice if they provided more options for us all to do the monthly and not force us to do areas that we choose not to do. How about they give us a list of 10 things for us to choose 2 or 3 to do the monthly with, you pves get your dungeons, we pvp get our kills, crafters get their salvage, ironmen get their 100k exp without dying, explorers get their jump puzzles, etc, but we all at least get to choose what we want. Now I’ll return you to our regularly scheduled complaining about complainers.

Another derailing post. ^^
North Keep: One of the village residents will now flee if their home is destroyed.
“Game over man, Game Over!” – RIP Bill

(edited by Xenesis.6389)