Wielding a Greatsword, who does it better? Warrior or Guardian?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Jordo.5913

Jordo.5913

Topic.

I have solely based my heavy armored class around who wields the greatsword better. I want greatsword to be my main go-to weapon.

I mostly play PvE, but will delve a little into PvP.

Part of me says to go Warrior because I love doing massive amounts of damage, but I don’t want to have to do the cheesy Bulls Rush>Frenzy>Hundred Blades build for my greatsword to stand out.

That forces me to check out the Guardian, but its seems like the Guardians won’t put out the big numbers that Warriors can.

So i will leave it open to discussion.

Also, I put this thread here because i didn’t want to create two on each class forum and get biased answers….here i will get a little bit of both in one nice thread.

Posted by: Run Amok.9205

Run Amok.9205

Asura weild them best.

Posted by: Jordo.5913

Jordo.5913

lol i believe Norn is already my choice of race…makes my GS as big as possible :P

Posted by: Garrix.7036

Garrix.7036

don’t have to go gimmick build to stand out with a gs. gimmick blends you into the crowd.

Posted by: Titarion.2609

Titarion.2609

Don’t pick the class for the weapon, pick it for everything else and how it fits your playstyle

Posted by: MrNobody.4357

MrNobody.4357

Asura weild them best.

This

Posted by: Boererik.3459

Boererik.3459

Guardian 2h is awesome.

Use skill 5 to pull all mobs around you.
then skill 1 and 3 to deal massive aoe dmg

Posted by: Amiron.1067

Amiron.1067

Neither, Mesmer wins with the new patch.

Posted by: Fleshgrinder.6724

Fleshgrinder.6724

The warrior shreds with a GS, the Guardian is also nasty, but he gets retaliation and blinds so it’s a more defensive GS style.

Posted by: Chronos Khan.4539

Chronos Khan.4539

warrior seems better off with a greatsword. And I do agree Asura know how to handle those big small blades lol

The self proclaimed mayor of Lion’s Arch
watch my GW2 vids at:
youtube.com/valentinogames

Posted by: boris.1248

boris.1248

Asura with Greatsword equal to Yoda with Lightsaber

Posted by: aeonZgamer.5307

aeonZgamer.5307

I’m a Norn Guardian but I’d really like my Hammer back but the hammer vs GS hasn’t scaled well in the levels I’m in

Posted by: Treble.9378

Treble.9378

Warrior, hands down. It feels like the single best PvE weapon in the game in a warriors hands.
In a guardians hands.. It can deal some solid dmg but the guardian just feels slow and sloppy with it, with casting bars showing up on swings and their spinny move being so short lived + hitting targets you never wanted it.

I honestly disliked the guardian in general I think tho. Too many casting bars, too much jankyness and not enough fluidity.

War wins hands down in my books.

aeonZgamer.5307

Guardians are a bit more fluid with Shield + Weapon
as far as 2h weaponry Hammer is more seemless but as I said earlier Someone on Borlis Pass finds me a 2h Hammer than can Overcome my current blade and I’ll gladly switch
but as is even Hammers ABOVE my level Suck vs my blade

Posted by: DusK.3849

DusK.3849

Hammers are getting some love down the line, aeon, don’t worry. Some ANet rep confirmed it in another thread.

I actually haven’t tried a greatsword warrior, and I will eventually, but I love my greatsword guardian. I dunno where you guys are getting the “it’s not fluid enough” stuff from. Maybe you’re just not using Leap of Faith in situationally, or don’t understand how well the pull skill at 5 changes the fight to your favor.

Like rock and metal remixes of video game music? Check out my site and get your headbang on!
Also, check out Hardcore Adventure Box: World 1, World 2, Lost Sessions
Main Character: Dathius Eventide | Say “hi” to the Tribulation Clouds for me. :)

Posted by: Keldrath.4735

Keldrath.4735

I play an Asura Guardian myself, and quite frankly, I like their greatsword skills better. The problem however is as a guardian your utility skills and traits aren’t set up like a warriors where you can just dish out the same kind of damage, you have a serious lack of fury and might generation to really put out the numbers and have a really low base health as well, also you are very easily kited. you get a lot of retaliation and blinds among other things to keep you going. Overall it feels squishier than a warrior and there’s less damage output as well, so your offense isn’t much of a defense. It’s especially bad in WvW though I am trying my hardest to make it work anyways.

So that’s just something to keep in mind.

80 Necromancer/Guardian/Mesmer
Isle of Janthir
Super Ultra Mega Awesome [SUMA]

Posted by: Treble.9378

Treble.9378

Hammers are getting some love down the line, aeon, don’t worry. Some ANet rep confirmed it in another thread.

I actually haven’t tried a greatsword warrior, and I will eventually, but I love my greatsword guardian. I dunno where you guys are getting the “it’s not fluid enough” stuff from. Maybe you’re just not using Leap of Faith in situationally, or don’t understand how well the pull skill at 5 changes the fight to your favor.

There’s casting bars on auto attacks causing slight delays in your fighting, and the skills don’t work that well together.
Great Sword Guardians feel like they were given a bunch of skills that were all somewhat situational as opposed to being skills that just worked well together to form a solid fighting skill set.

Plus their dmg (outside of their roflcoptor move) feels a bit on the low side to me compared to my Warrior.

Posted by: Keldrath.4735

Keldrath.4735

There’s casting bars on auto attacks causing slight delays in your fighting, and the skills don’t work that well together.
Great Sword Guardians feel like they were given a bunch of skills that were all somewhat situational as opposed to being skills that just worked well together to form a solid fighting skill set.

Plus their dmg (outside of their roflcoptor move) feels a bit on the low side to me compared to my Warrior.

I do hope hammer does get some love, the casting bar on the third auto attack swing is too long feels very clunky, most of the moves just don’t feel fluid it feels too slow. I just really don’t like the weapon though it has some really amazing skills, namely the banish skill and the ring of warding skill.

80 Necromancer/Guardian/Mesmer
Isle of Janthir
Super Ultra Mega Awesome [SUMA]

aeonZgamer.5307

I do hope hammer does get some love, the casting bar on the third auto attack swing is too long feels very clunky, most of the moves just don’t feel fluid it feels too slow. I just really don’t like the weapon though it has some really amazing skills, namely the banish skill and the ring of warding skill.

Yeah I would prefer if you just lept up into the air and slammed the hammer down on their heads doing the same thing to speed things up and trade off between bar and down time on Hammers
I miss my hammer….But on another note my 1h Weapon with my Shield is a Sword and hoooboy is this thing nasty it’s extremely efficient in dispatching something 1v1

Posted by: LampSmash.5938

LampSmash.5938

mesmer wields them the best.

thread.