ever start to use phasing ?.

-Stellaris
-Total War: Warhammer
-Guild Wars 2

Will Anet

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

I don’t think Phasers would fit in the Guild Wars lore.

Attachments:

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Will Anet

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

All jokes aside, what do you mean with ‘Phasing’?

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Will Anet

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

Umm… I think I know what he’s talking about.

Phasing was what WoW called a system introduced in the cataclysm expansion that allowed for multiple instances of the same open-world area to be different for different characters depending on certain factors (their faction and what quests that character had completed)

It sounds like a cool idea, might make the event system actually feel like it matters again if doing events would push you towards one phase or another of the area. But at the same time not sure how they could implement it with the overflow system or parties. Not to mention the developers have already sworn off working any more on the open world DE system, and ANet’s developers don’t seem to be very open to retrying content design no matter how much the players want it.

(edited by Conncept.7638)

Will Anet

Posted by: eisberg.2379

eisberg.2379

I think he might be referring to something that Blizzard has done with WoW. Eventually you have 2 different versions of the same world, and you have have 2 players who can see each other, but each of them are seeing 2 different versions of the world. Player could be fighting something, and player 2 only sees player 1 fighting air.

I doubt Anet will ever use Phasing, because it just separates the players playing in the same place.

Will Anet

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

Is that a hot glue gun?

BTW phasers would fit in the lore..asura use teleportationZOMG! And robots.

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

Will Anet

eisberg.2379

Not to mention the developers have already sworn off working any more on the open world DE system.

Need citation for that.

Will Anet

Posted by: Kingmutez.4931

Kingmutez.4931

they could but i don’t think they will any time soon. They don’t like splitting the player base. It was already suggested to them as a way to clean Orr but they seemed to shy away from it. Who knows maybe in the future.

PS:
“Phasing is a technique commonly used in MMORPGs. This refers to the technique of having a certain area look different to different characters. When something is “phased” it means it exists in the same virtual geography as other creatures or objects, but is not visible and can not be fully interacted with."

Will Anet

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

While I am not against the idea behind phasing, it does present some interesting issues.

One is that it further fractures the player base, which isn’t always a bad thing, but it can be taken too far.

Another is that it could lead to issues with people playing together, how do you ‘unphase’ a character to go back to play with someone that hasn’t necessarily made it that far? In WoW (at least when I played) there wasn’t an option for this. You had to wait for the person to catch up, which pretty much sucked.

There are also instancing glitches, which is something else I experienced with WoWs phasing. Even though my husband and I played our characters together, were on the same quests, etc, the game might not necessarily phase us together. One gets too far away, and now they are no longer in the same phase. There were times where I could catch up (he flew faster), and be right on top of him, but still not see him because we were out of phase. It was very frustrating.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Will Anet

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

Not to mention the developers have already sworn off working any more on the open world DE system.

Need citation for that.

Good luck, I’m not looking for it with ANets non-functional search bar. You should just be able to search Modus Sceleris and find it among the results, if the search function was actually working, but because it isn’t that query brings up nothing just like most any other.

Months back a player asked about new events. A designer spoke up stating that because most players still had not participated in the Modus Sceleris set of events to date, they took that as a sign that players didn’t actually want new events and had no intention of working on content players didn’t have interest in.

(edited by Conncept.7638)

Will Anet

Posted by: mojowalker.3798

mojowalker.3798

Is that a hot glue gun?

BTW phasers would fit in the lore..asura use teleportationZOMG! And robots.

Logan: This is getting intense. We need warp speed. What do you think, Rytlock?
Rytlock: kitten it, Logan, I’m a Charr, not an Asuran!
Logan: Zojja!
Zojja: I just can’t do it, Logan … I don’t have the power!

“If you can’t beat them, get a bigger stick.”
- Some random quote -
The Walkers and the Whispers, ANVIL ROCK

Will Anet

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Great….. now Star Trek is ruined forever…..

Will Anet

Posted by: Korossive.7085

Korossive.7085

Yes they will, and they do.

Last halloween was the fun phase.
This halloween is the grind phase.
Ascended armor is the terrible grind phase.

Phase-progression as the game matures.

(edited by Korossive.7085)

Will Anet

Posted by: Mourningcry.9428

Mourningcry.9428

This begs the question, why do think they should?

Will Anet

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

Phasing was a failed experiment if I ever saw one. I doubt ArenaNet will use that model.

Will Anet

Posted by: Vorch.2985

Vorch.2985

The only place I could see that phasing would be necessary is Orr post purification.

Otherwise, I don’t really see a point.

Here’s what people thought of GW1 when it first came out: http://tinyurl.com/bntcvyc
“A release is 7 days or less away or has just happened within the last 7 days…
These are the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria.”

Will Anet

Posted by: Katreyn.4218

Katreyn.4218

I think it would potentially split up the playerbase more then what ANet wants for the open world.

While it was a cool idea, it was nothing more then frustrating with friends in WoW. >.>

Will Anet

mojowalker.3798

LOL, I didn’t go far enough to do that … I would have needed to include Caithe as Uhura and Eir as Chekov … at a loss, though, who should do Sulu … Scarlet?

- Some random quote -

Will Anet

LanfearShadowflame.3189

LOL, I didn’t go far enough to do that … I would have needed to include Caithe as Uhura and Eir as Chekov … at a loss, though, who should do Sulu … Scarlet?

OMG……. stoooooop! The horror!

Will Anet

Posted by: Dark Catalyst.1028

Dark Catalyst.1028

Logan kind of reminds me of Will Riker. Therefore, I have a burning loathing for both of them.

Will Anet

Posted by: coglin.1867

coglin.1867

See the entire Asuran race.

See also the entire Engineer profession.

But seriously, you would be hard pressed to convince me that phasing is needed anywhere in GW2 to be honest. It seems to me as it would be an unnecessary wast of server space and programming effort.

A video on what weak PvPer’s and WvWer’s want.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q3em9s5I4c

Will Anet

Posted by: Kozume.9035

Kozume.9035

I think he might be referring to something that Blizzard has done with WoW. Eventually you have 2 different versions of the same world, and you have have 2 players who can see each other, but each of them are seeing 2 different versions of the world. Player could be fighting something, and player 2 only sees player 1 fighting air.

I doubt Anet will ever use Phasing, because it just separates the players playing in the same place.

That’s not how phasing worked in WoW, and it’s still not how it works. You didn’t see people fighting the air.

Example, I guess: Player 2 is in a phase ahead of Player 1’s phase. Both player 1 and player 2 can’t see each other and they’re both seeing different versions of the world. They’re completely ‘phased’ off from one another in the sense that they don’t see each other at all.

It’s a terrible and failed system because it kept people from interacting with one another. If you can’t see your friends or other people just because you haven’t done -every- quest in -every- zone, or because they didn’t, it made the game so much boring.

People need to stop believing that Blizzard incorporates smart ideas. WoW isn’t popular for that reason.

Will Anet

eisberg.2379

Need citation for that.

Good luck, I’m not looking for it with ANets non-functional search bar. You should just be able to search Modus Sceleris and find it among the results, if the search function was actually working, but because it isn’t that query brings up nothing just like most any other.

Months back a player asked about new events. A designer spoke up stating that because most players still had not participated in the Modus Sceleris set of events to date, they took that as a sign that players didn’t actually want new events and had no intention of working on content players didn’t have interest in.

Oh that. He was talking about Modus Sceleris specifically, not DE in general.

Will Anet

mojowalker.3798

Logan kind of reminds me of Will Riker. Therefore, I have a burning loathing for both of them.

Then Rytlock would have to be Worf …

On topic, I don’t see this as being feasible because, as many have mentioned, it would only further fragment the player base. We already see a disparity in the number of players between mid-level zones and the champ trains in Queensdale and FGS. If folks in those mid-level zones were then further separated by being in different phases where (and I’ve never witnessed it, so can’t testify to it) they may each be fighting battles with creatures that are invisible to the other players?

Having zones affected by a player’s progression could definitely be done if the zones were instances (Winds of Change Cantha vs. Pre-Winds of Change Cantha comes to mind), but with them being open world for any and all … I think it would be more of a detriment rather than a benefit.

- Some random quote -