Will Ascendents make dungeons/badges useless?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Manuelito.6081

Manuelito.6081

Q:

or is there a project to “transform” dungeons (and the tokens?) to conform to the new ascendent gear?

Maybe new dungeons/tokens?

Any feeling whether badge of Honor will also be still useful to buy ascendent gear?

[ROCK]
Desolation

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

Dungeon armor is about the looks. The looks will still be there so dungeon armor won’t really change.

Posted by: Lorana.2468

Lorana.2468

Dungeon armor is about the looks. The looks will still be there so dungeon armor won’t really change.

not true, dungeons are a great way of obtaining exotic gear for alts both stats and looks making money in the process.

Posted by: Sanctus.8350

Sanctus.8350

This game is mostly about the skins, so no, not really.

Its not like everyone will have their characters full geared in ascendent on the first day, week, or even month, let alone their alts. Ascended gear will likely take extreme amounts of time/capital to acquire. The ‘uselessness’ will depend on the individual. If they have the time to invest, then yeah, exotic stats (but again, this game is about the skins) will [eventually] be useless.

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

Also remember, the only crafting that is getting boosted to 500 is Artificer, Weaponsmith and Huntsman. Armor will all still be exotic grade. I fully expect the Ascended weapons that we craft to just be the Pearl Weapon skins that we have already been making and we will just transmute them per usual.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: Solo.9027

Solo.9027

Considering that only a handful of exotic back pieces can be upgraded to ascended I highly doubt that armors will all get that kind of treatment. It would be nice though, I really like my current look.

Manuelito.6081

In all fairness if new ascendent weapons are introduced I will like to see new skins, especially because Gw2 is 85% skins/cosmetics (and hence horizontal progress vis-a-vis vertical).

Dungeons are still a cheap/fun way to get gear (and skins, yes), I hope for some sort of inclusion/connection of the same old dungeons to Ascendent gear.
Concerning stats the switch from a full Exotic gear (weapons, armor and trinkets) to an Ascendent one: I guess it will be the same proportion of difference between Rare and Exotic, so still a nice bunch of stats more (proportionally), which I would not consider negligible.

[ROCK]
Desolation

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

Bleagh. I hope that the skins for Ascended weapons are better than the pearl ones. They’re gross!

Posted by: nekretaal.6485

nekretaal.6485

I just spent 250 skill points on an anomaly. It horrifies me to think that I paid such a high price or a non max weapon.

Or am I just supposed to transmute it, my molten daggers, shark tooth axe, volcanus, final rest, et all?

Hopefully we will be able to ascend our existing equipment, because the skins-cosmetic endgame sure looks to me like a pure ash grab if anet doesnt either introduce a huge variety of new, better looking skins, and really expects us to transmute all of our existing skins. (Including previously purchased cash shop skins).

#24 leaderboard rank North America.

Posted by: nearlight.3064

nearlight.3064

Well if you read the preview announcement, this patch is only having ascended weapons introduced and artificer/huntsman/weaponsmith raised to 500, so dungeon tokens will still be useful for armor!

Necromancer Main
Taking a break from GW2 to play various
Nintendo games..

Posted by: Delvoire.8930

Delvoire.8930

They can easily add in Ascended weapon skins to the Dungeon vendors and just make them more expensive then the Exotic ones.

80 ~Thief~ Isabella Angel | 80 ~Eng~ Ratchet McClank
80 ~Warrior~ Delvoire | 80 ~Ele~ Azalea Avenir
80 ~ Guardian~ Rag Nor | Server ~ FA

Posted by: Siphaed.9235

Siphaed.9235

or is there a project to “transform” dungeons (and the tokens?) to conform to the new ascendent gear?

Maybe new dungeons/tokens?

Any feeling whether badge of Honor will also be still useful to buy ascendent gear?

You’re looking at it in a slightly offsetting way of only numbers/stats in mind. The dungeons are there for their respective skin sets, found nowhere else in the world (save for sPvP). So say I want the Nightmare set on my Necromancer. I’d have to run the dungeon in the Sylvari zone to get it, because there’s no other way. That’s the idea behind the token system for dungeons, is to obtain the skins/sets.

Posted by: Bread.7516

Bread.7516

I assume all ascended weapons and armor would have 1 skin of each type?

So unless you buy cash shop transmute crystals then everyone will look the same. good job…

i smell money grab

(edited by Bread.7516)

Posted by: generalraccoon.3857

generalraccoon.3857

I assume all ascended weapons and armor would have 1 skin of each type?

So unless you buy cash shop transmute crystals then everyone will look the same. good job…

i smell money grab

most probably this. gem prices will go crazy soon as people will want to buy for transmutes.

as to the OP, dungeon badges wont be completely useless so to speak, itll be mainly just a tedious gating to get the “look” that players want, much like cultural t3 armors costing so much yet has only ‘rare’ stats…

my only hope with ascended gear is that, as the new top tier, it will have many means of acquisition, just like exotics before them…

Posted by: Atherakhia.4086

Atherakhia.4086

With any luck they’ll drastically reduce the number of badges needed per piece or introduce skins we can buy with the badges. Same with the cultural armor. Wishful thinking I guess :/

Posted by: The Talcmaster.7391

The Talcmaster.7391

A new tab with ascended gear that costs more tokens than exotic would make sense, though I can already see the incredible outrage from people who have to grind the dungeons all over again.

Fort Aspenwood – [fury], [SAO], [NICE]
Fun on someone else’s schedule is not fun

Posted by: Crapgame.6519

Crapgame.6519

Game is no longer only dress up Barbie. Gear now is starting to matter if you haven’t been paying attention. The good news is that we don’t have a “inspect player” feature yet or “gear score”. However, with new ascended pieces coming out and some already available options, it does matter.

It matters in PvE and WvW outside a zerg.

Main – Laaz Rocket – Guardian (Ehmry Bay)
Johnny Johnny – Ranger (Ehmry Bay)
Hárvey Wallbanger – Alt Warrior (Ehmry Bay)

Posted by: fellyn.5083

fellyn.5083

Also remember, the only crafting that is getting boosted to 500 is Artificer, Weaponsmith and Huntsman. Armor will all still be exotic grade. I fully expect the Ascended weapons that we craft to just be the Pearl Weapon skins that we have already been making and we will just transmute them per usual.

No. The ascended rifle the page shows a picture of is not the same as the pearl rifle.

Looks like a similar color scheme but that’s about it.

Posted by: Shifu.4321

Shifu.4321

If dungeons were really for skins, then they should just make them applicable skins. No more of using this transmutable stone kitten.

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

Game is no longer only dress up Barbie. Gear now is starting to matter if you haven’t been paying attention. The good news is that we don’t have a “inspect player” feature yet or “gear score”. However, with new ascended pieces coming out and some already available options, it does matter.

It matters in PvE and WvW outside a zerg.

This exactly. It may not matter much now, but once you can be decked out in fully Ascended gear, you will be significantly more powerful than someone in Exotics. The time gating will kill build diversity and alts. New players will be at a significant disadvantage. PvE mobs will be made harder to compensate, so you’re really on a treadmill.

As for dungeon tokens: they are currently a GREAT way to gear up for trying new builds and for alts. This will be a big loss.

Posted by: Coldin.2840

Coldin.2840

What we could see happening is that dungeon tokens will be a way to purchase materials for ascended gear. So it won’t give ascended gear itself, but provide a path to it.

I’m not too worried. Ascended gear isn’t really required for anything.

Coldin – Thief – Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: fellyn.5083

fellyn.5083

What we could see happening is that dungeon tokens will be a way to purchase materials for ascended gear. So it won’t give ascended gear itself, but provide a path to it.

Basically this. It’s all speculation at this point. The existence of ascended gear isn’t going to automatically invalidate all of your exotics. Just like with exotic vs ascended trinkets.

The difference is barely noticeable at best. It might be slightly more noticeable if you go from all rares to all ascended, but that’s about it.

Posted by: Fungalfoot.7213

Fungalfoot.7213

Until they introduce a proper skin wardrobe the answer is yes.

I seriously hope they’re working on this because having cosmetic progression without a tool to actually facilitate said progression is just all kinds of stupid. Slope the transmutation stones and get on the ball with this. Maybe then more folks will actually buy skins from the gem shop.

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

Basically this. It’s all speculation at this point. The existence of ascended gear isn’t going to automatically invalidate all of your exotics. Just like with exotic vs ascended trinkets.

The difference is barely noticeable at best. It might be slightly more noticeable if you go from all rares to all ascended, but that’s about it.

The difference between fully geared Ascended and fully geared Exotics looks like it will be 8% (that’s the difference between an Ascended amulet and an Exotic one). That’s noticeable: it’s like one whole piece of gear. Do you run around with a piece of broken armor? Because that’s a very similar comparison.

Manuelito.6081

The difference between fully geared Ascended and fully geared Exotics looks like it will be 8% (that’s the difference between an Ascended amulet and an Exotic one). That’s noticeable: it’s like one whole piece of gear. Do you run around with a piece of broken armor? Because that’s a very similar comparison.

Very good point with which I totally agree. 7-9% estimated difference between exotic-ascendent is noticeable indeed and I do not think that a lot of players will say:“Bah, who cares? it’s almost the same thing”. I foresee a rush to get as many ascendent as possible, which is totally understandable. Not great for alts though, but this “item fever” on other MMO happens every 4-5 months so…

It is just a pity if we lose a great incentive to run dungeons (which is to gear alts, since the ‘skin’ factor will remain).

And yes, give us a skin wardrobe or similar.

[ROCK]
Desolation